REVIEW: BW 104 "Fierce Fighting! Win Out in the Rival Battle!" - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: BW 104 "Fierce Fighting! Win Out in the Rival Battle!"

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 104 "Fierce Fighting! Win Out in the Rival Battle!"

Okay, I gotta ask for a pic of Trip's "I LOST???" expression now since it's been mentioned more than once. XD

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Don
    Blog Entries

Follow Don on Tumblr

I was hoping Kotetsu's Daikenki would be female seeing as the other two fully evolved Isshu starters belonging to Satoshi's rivals are male. Bel's only win against Kotetsu wasn't so impressive compared to how Kotetsu beats her.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    Okay, I gotta ask for a pic of Trip's "I LOST???" expression now since it's been mentioned more than once. XD

His expression is just priceless, it's clearly full of disbelief and shock.
    Last edited by Don; 29th November 2012 at 10:10 AM.
    Shinneth, Duque, Hoopa and 9 others like this.

Blog Entries

... That is amazing. I'm saving that pic so hard.

For all the mistakes Best Wishes makes, they sure do mop 'em up in a beautiful way. :')

SANKYUU~ ♥

Moe
    Blog Entries

I really enjoyed this episode - while sure it's a bit annoying Pikachu could withstand so many hits, he more than made up for that with the extreme joy upon knocking Serperior out - that was great. I don't know what iron electroball is supposed to achieve, but at least it's finally a combination move again.

Kotetsu's Ferrothorn's Pin Missile (?) into the mouth of that Eelektross is probably the oddest battle win in a while.

I also liked the scene with Pikachu, Oshawott and Riolu - firstly because it's nice to see Pokemon interacting without their trainers, but moreso for the rapid escalation from kicking water to a Thunderbolt. This is a good episode for Pikachu. Another plus point for the Moo Moo Milk reference. Johto arc confirmed

Bianca's reaction to Riolu is great, along with her telling herself to be serious about it - I really wished Bianca could have gone further but hopefully she'll be good in the remaining episodes of the league. I really dislike relying on Attract - especially when Gen V is so devoid of gender differences to make it anything less than a coin toss as to its success. But at least she got Escavalier under control.

Did Trip have to wave like that. At least he wasn't walking down a staircase...
    Shinneth, Duque and martianmister like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Did Trip have to wave like that. At least he wasn't walking down a staircase...
    Trip's been riffing off Paul's exit gestures since the end of the first Don Battle. So somehow, I'm not surprised by this. Not that this excuses it, but at least we got the best expression from Trip that we've gotten in the entire show from him. :D

Slightly off-topic, I do find the timing hilarious. Not only do they get rid of Trip first AND boot him out immediately after, but it's only after they write Trip out of the series that they confirmed N appearing in the show. It's like the staff is saying "SORRY WE WASTED YOUR TIME THE LAST TWO YEARS WITH THIS LOSER, HERE - HAVE N AS OUR APOLOGY".

This is so much better than how they sent of Kenny. XD

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Goodbye, Trip, you will not be missed, (or even remembered?)
    Trip who?

Judging from all these posts, it seems the only reason Trip was ever hated and considered a bad character/rival was because "he wasn't Paul".

This fandom, I swear.......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ObjectionMan View Post
    Judging from all these posts, it seems the only reason Trip was ever hated and considered a bad character/rival was because "he wasn't Paul".

This fandom, I swear.......
    No, that's not really it. Even though it's true that we naturally have high hopes for another great rival after Paul, there are still several other reasons to why Trip wasn't so appreciated.

The thing with Trip is, he was nothing. There was nothing about him that made him an appealing character, nor was there anything with him that would make me care even the slightest about him. At first, I thought he was interesting. He had a bunch of pretty cool Pokémon and I loved the idea with the camera, but that was about it. He and Ash barely cared for each other, they hardly even spoke, and if they don't care about each other, why should I care about their rivalry?

He definitely had potential with the story including Alder which I personally got excited about, but after about a 1-2 minutes battle he'd suddenly turn into a completely different person just like that, and we never got much build-up for it either. Sure, we saw him being determined about beating Alder and swearing to become the very best etc etc, but that was about it. It was never fleshed out, and it never had any sort of impact on his character, nor on the rivalry itself. He's Ash's rival, not Alder's, and even though the battles he had with Ash were fine, it never felt like it had an impact on Ash. When Paul beat him, Ash got determined to train and get stronger so that he one day would be able to beat him, and he truly lived up those words too. With Trip, it's like ''oh darn, I lost... oh well, I'll get him next time! :) *next episode*''. Then there was nothing more with that.

At least he should've been given the opportunity to battle in a 6v6 battle if he really was such a great rival, but with the writers concluding his character in the first battle of the league, with it also being a 1v1 battle... Yeah, it's like they're admitting that Trip was a horrible character and just want to get rid of him.

Ugh. I'm just tired of trying to look at his character from the bright side, which I've pretty much always tried to do. I'm overjoyed about the fact that he's finally gone.

I'Haven't seen the episode yet, but I can't wait to see Trip leave. I'm excited for this episode because of Ash finally get to knock the shit out of him, and for the battle between Kotetsu and Bianca.
    Last edited by Chiplet; 29th November 2012 at 12:53 PM.
    Paulisthebest and Metan like this.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

This Space For Rent DynoStretch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ObjectionMan View Post
    Not really, people didn't like Trip because he was just a completely bland character who was overpowered for no reason, then underpowered in the Don tournaments, then overpowered again in the Junior World tournament, like the world's most boring roller coaster. The reason people compared him to Paul so much is he borrows a lot of his "anti-social super-skilled-at-Pokemon douche-bag-to-the-hero close-my-eyes-as-I-walk-off" personality traits that Paul used all the time. He simply just existed to give Ash yet another unneeded underdog rivalry, and this one made even less sense since Trip was established as a fresh new trainer. He had virtually no real personality traits outside of his camera thing and his xenophobia about Kanto.

Anyhoot, Trip lost the league in the first round, whoo! Granted it was one of those "Ash gets curb stomped by opponent until Ash comes up with a trick that does a OHKO" moments, but I'm at least thankful no one stopped the referee from declaring the battle over. Trip's look of disbelief was just awesome, gonna have to frame that.

....unfortunately there is one thing that ticked me off, they never resolved Trip's xenophobia with Kanto. Why did he hate people from Kanto so much and call it a hick town? That never got explained. I guess they threw that under the rug like they did Team Plasma. But then again, Trip's gone for good! Whoo!

As for the rest of the episode, we get to the Bianca vs Kotetsu battle and HOLY CRAP IT'S A 2-N-2 BATTLE?! Christmas has come early!!

I liked Emboar defeating Samuraott, but really? Attract? Okay writers, you're finally using more bad stat ailments in battles, well done. But I'd prefer if you came up with more interesting and unique stuff then just hormonal energy. Doesn't Bianca already have a male Pokemon that can use Attract? Oh right, her Minnicino who seems to be nonexistent in the series now, much like a lot of the other Pokemon the other characters use.

I feel so bad for Bianca losing the fight, I'd be sad too if I was thrown out of the series by some new rival who just showed up at the last minute. :<
    The White Supremacy Alliance

- Shogun - Watt - Dharuma - Ectoplasm - Ragnorok - Balrog -

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Just to remind everyone in case the thread steers off-topic, there's a thread to Snooty/Trip debate thread right here.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

This episode was quality.

Ash's shiny butt approved.

Blog Entries

Really disliked this episode! Just when things get emotional and just when I start feeling sympathetic towards Satoshi ( at the point when Pika was freed from Jarlorda's tail) they pull a thunder armor on us and voila Jarlorda is down!!! I didn't mind the combo, but did Jarlorda really have to be knocked down that quickly?!! Jezz they should have played it a bit more! and what's with the music that played during Satoshi vs Shooti mintage? it was hmmmm unpokemon-ish?!
    The major downer of this epi for me was Bel vs Kotetsu!!! Come on! Chevargo vs Daikenki was the most horrible battle I have ever seen in pokemon! waay out of rhythm! and what's up with Daikenki getting knocked out by 2 moves only?!!! Ah! I have never felt more about an episode before! and I have never disliked a pokemon episode before so dunno >>
    Proud claimer of the Snow Dragon Kyurem. 24/01/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Chatsy View Post
    This episode was quality.

Ash's shiny butt approved.

Yah, Ash fan service beats all :P

I wanted Trip to say sorry about mocking Ash and his home town, such a disapointing ending to such a well.
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

Blog Entries

I agree with what most people have been saying about Serperior simlair to Paul's Frolass both are fast Pokemon but are very fragile. One hit from the wrong attack and they are defeated. Could be the reason Trip raised it so well in terms of Speed and Evasiveness.

Either way, this battle was something else. Am I mad that Pikachu too so many hits without fainting and then beating Serperior with one attack? Not really, since it was a revenge battle and a closure to Trip (finally). Seriously, our favorite electric mouse never won against the green hose in ANY of its previous forms so why not beat it in front of an entire stadium in a big battle.

If Ash had been showing this DP spirit and creativity he would have won a lot of his battles not only with Trip but with other trainers in other battles. Would have loved to see Counter Shield in this battle it would have been interesting to see it used to avoid Wrap.

I will say that Trip does know how to teach his Pokemon attacks according to the battle that he will be in. Like Conkeldurr knowing Bulk Up to raise its defensive and offensive strengths, using its pillars to block attacks, Strength to whack its opponents after Bulk Up and Rock Tomb/Stone Edge combo for the finisher. Serperior is the same in using various moves in different battles.

All of which making use of their various body structures and objects they might have (snake like body/concrete pillars). Similar to Paul rotating Eletavire's moves like Light Screen, Brick Break, and Giga Impact.

Sad to see Trip go ONLY because I wanted to see more of his Pokemon but oh well. As someone mentioned its not that he wasn't Paul that made me dislike Trip, it was the fact that he was a pseudo-rival to me. Seriously, there was nothing between Ash and Trip to make a rivalry to begin with. It was take a picture here and there with the camera, trash talk Kanto, remind Ash of the basic stuff, etc.

He just got Ash mad over nothing and Ash didn't grow at all. Their battles were constantly, "I'm going to beat Trip this time, I won't lose! I believe in my Pokemon even if they are facing an evolved form of themselves or in a type disadvantage." Really, each battle was a repeat disaster of the last one. Like someone pointed out, after a loss the next episode was like it never happened. With Paul, especially their full battle at the lake Ash constantly had flashbacks from that loss to help him get stronger and by the time the Sinnoh League rolled around and they had their full battle you could see the vast improvement from their first full battle.

So, it is not that he wasn't a Paul clone that made me hate him, it was the writers trying to make another failed attempt at Paul. They really didn't do too much to set him apart at all. What I found interesting is that some websites pointed out that in the last episode, we see a nicer Trip but still anti-social in terms of hanging out with the others rivals. Haha, it seems that was the best thing if they kicked him out the league and the story this soon :)

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I gotta agree that the Kotetsu/Bel battle was underwhelming. It would have been much better if the latter didn't spam Iron Defense.

On the CotD side, it looks like Rikio has a Tranquill, Antonio has a Sandile, and Flora has a Foongus.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 16th March 2013, 11:21 AM
  2. 29th November 2012, 08:45 AM