REVIEW: BW 096 "Meloetta and the Undersea Temple!" - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: BW 096 "Meloetta and the Undersea Temple!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 096 "Meloetta and the Undersea Temple!"

Crucifixion would still be in the history books as a method of death Jesus Christ or not.

Even then, there is nothing to link this to the crucifixion of Jesus. I don't see Meloetta with a crown of thorns, I didn't see Meloetta carrying the stone star and we didn't see anyone carrying it on its behalf either.

Claims of this being a reference to Jesus should be backed up with evidence and not just "OH MY GAWD" reasoning as this is certainly not becoming a thread on how Pokémon is blasphemous or not.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    To all those who obviously have no problems with the crucifixion scene, I'd like to say this:
    It was more than obvious that they made a reference to the crucifixion of Christ here and that is a prime example of blasphemy.
    Even if they did reference it, what's so bad? Religion is used in fiction many times. Just look at the numerous amount of video games out there with made up religions of their own. They all reference real-life religion and nobody bothered to complain about them. Referencing =/= Offending.

If I had the email address of the people in charge at OLM, I'd write a letter of complaint because it's simply unacceptable! Especially in the western world where there are still enough Christians, that scene will immediately be associated with the Christian religion and hopefully it will lead to a public outcry so the writers will have to realize what they've done.
    I'm going to save this so I could then show it to you when the English dub version comes out. I have no doubt in my mind that the scene won't be edited. There won't be an outcry either.

Just look at that star-like thing in which Meloetta was trapped. This alone was a painfully obvious reference to a cross and to make things even worse, we had Meloetta suffering and stretched out with both arms on the cross. Can it even get more obvious?
    Meloetta was a key. Her body needed to get inside the star for the mirror to reveal itself. Other than her screaming, it's nothing like Jesus Christ.

Then I suggest you get yourself some glasses, and fast.
    Anyways, are you kidding? It's BECAUSE of Jesus Christ that the cross has its symbolic meaning. Without him, a cross would just be two wooden beams, arranged in a right angle. So, yes, I guess we Christians are indeed entitled to claim the monopoly for the cross and its religious meaning.
    Did you click the link? Cross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's dozens of crosses in the world. It isn't offending anybody.

∠(>w<) #634 Argy's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Argy On Twitter
    Add Argy on Linkedin

All these people complaining about religious symbolism that isn't really there... You want to see real misuse of religion in an anime series? Try "Evangelion." The creator flat-out said all the crosses, biblical names, etc., are just for show — even though they're everywhere. If you're up in arms about a Meloetta-shaped restraint looking vaguely like a cross, then you really don't understand how this stuff goes down in Japan.

P.S. Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus wasn't crucified but was instead tied to a stake. If Meloetta was tied to a pole, would those people have the right to be upset? If Christians can't even come to a consensus about how Christ was killed, then why are we arguing about this?

Primordial ChaosKnight Five-Gate Omega's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Aye, can't wait for this episode to be dubbed and aired here. I'm thinking this was a setup for the therian legends episde, yet I liked the fact that Gio and Ash finally confronted each other in battle, and yet it was Ash who got pwned. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Gio lended his two grunts his most powerful ground-types to use which would explain why two nameless grunts ended up overpowering Ash and friends.

Now as for this whole religious debate here, I really see no need to get worked up especially if it were only a minor reference to the cross. Sometimes I would like to believe that religion is a catalyst for conflict in the world, which is why i don't like taking it seriously, think of the Crusades which happened. I just want to discuss this episode without fighting over religion which discussing about in this topic should be out of topic.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I'm so happy I live in a country where the image of a cross in a kids' cartoon is such a non-issue.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

It wasn't much of an issue to begin with. People jump to conclusions rather quickly.

I was rather disappointed that the skirmish between Satoshi and Sakaki was so short. Surely Larry's backstory with Meloetta could have been trimmed down to give more time for that?
    Last edited by MizuTaipu; 1st October 2012 at 05:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Loved this episode! It might have been nice with an extra episode to get a bit more backstory but I think this works as well. :)
    Meloetta's second shape, wish we'd gotten to see more of it and of the battle between her and Waruvial. Poor Mijumaru couldn't battle her, blushing and everything. I remember a similar scene with Pikachu and Togepi.
    Couldn't Golurk have come in after the battle ended? I wanted to see more of Meloetta battling!
    Introduction of Meloetta's... ward? bodyguard? follower? Extremely protective and rash. Yes, Meloetta was kidnapped but rashly deciding that three kids on a battle field is involved in a kidnapping seems rather extreme to me. At least he apologised. :P

When I saw Golurk standing guard outside the house I got this flash of it dressed like a secret service agent. :D Golurk won my heart using Rhydon to protect against Rock Smash. Loved the battles in this episode!
    The fact that there is only two grunts, the trio, the mad professor and Sakaki himself makes me think that this mission is on the 'need to know'-basis even within the Team Rocket organisation itself. Less cooks makes for better soup and it went according to their plans for once. Maybe Sakaki has some sort of power that makes everyone around him professionally accomplished. Kinda like soaking up D-vitamins from the sun, exposure is needed. ;)

Meloetta's melody was just so beautiful, I think my heart broke a little when I heard it. I just hope it gets released in some form, so I can listen to it without all the background noise and Sakaki talking.

Also like how Shirona took command, I feel like the adults in BW has been doing that more than in earlier generations. Or maybe it's just me.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to the next episode!

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    Even then, there is nothing to link this to the crucifixion of Jesus. I don't see Meloetta with a crown of thorns, I didn't see Meloetta carrying the stone star and we didn't see anyone carrying it on its behalf either.
    Excuse me, but that is an extremely short-sighted argument. In many depictions, especially in more modern ones, Jesus is not wearing a crown of thorns. And carrying the cross is not exactly what the crucifixion was all about, either. So, do you really, I mean really think that as long as we don't see Meloetta wearing a crown and carrying the stone star (her "cross" so to speak), it has nothing to do with the crucifixion of Christ??
    I'd like to remind you that the stone star itself already looked like the kind of cross you can see in many churches, especially in America.

Claims of this being a reference to Jesus should be backed up with evidence and not just "OH MY GAWD" reasoning as this is certainly not becoming a thread on how Pokémon is blasphemous or not.
    Um, you did read my post, didn't you? But I'll happily repeat it for you. First, we had that stone star which, as I just said, will surely remind lots of people of the cross of Christ, simply because of its distinct form.
    Second, it looked like Meloetta was literally nailed to that thing with its arms spread out wide and its body stretched out on that, let me call it "stone cross".
    And last but not least, Meloetta seemed to be in terrible pain as if it was about to sacrifice itself for somebody or something.

OK, enough said. Now it's up to you to do the maths ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Human
    Even if they did reference it, what's so bad? Religion is used in fiction many times. Just look at the numerous amount of video games out there with made up religions of their own. They all reference real-life religion and nobody bothered to complain about them. Referencing =/= Offending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Argy
    All these people complaining about religious symbolism that isn't really there... You want to see real misuse of religion in an anime series? Try "Evangelion." The creator flat-out said all the crosses, biblical names, etc., are just for show — even though they're everywhere. If you're up in arms about a Meloetta-shaped restraint looking vaguely like a cross, then you really don't understand how this stuff goes down in Japan.
    Sadly, you're right about that. There's lots of shit out there which I wished people didn't watch. But still, we're talking about Pokemon and not about the mistakes made in other shows. And just because those other shows are insulting religion, it doesn't justify what happened in this particular Pokemon episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Argy
    P.S. Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus wasn't crucified but was instead tied to a stake. If Meloetta was tied to a pole, would those people have the right to be upset? If Christians can't even come to a consensus about how Christ was killed, then why are we arguing about this?
    I'm not intending to insult anybody here who happens to be member of Jehovah's Wtinesses, but these guys believe so many strange things (like calculating the exact date of the apocalypse and so on...) that are not backed by the vast majority of Christians.
    And as for the way how Christ was killed, let me assure you that it's scientific consensus that he indeed died on a cross and wasn't tied to a pole. Nobody really doubts that except for a few splinter groups maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    I'm so happy I live in a country where the image of a cross in a kids' cartoon is such a non-issue.
    You're underestimating the effect of that scene. It's not just about a simple image of a cross, but which association the whole scene evokes.
    Still, what you're saying is sad but true. People are getting less and less religious and they're losing their values. If you ask me, that's the real reason why our Europe is going downhill as well. It's not primarily because of the financial crisis, it's because people's characters are getting worse and worse. And if I remember correctly, Japan is facing the same problems, if not even worse.

To cut a long story short:
    There would have been thousands of ways for Giovanni to use Meloetta. Isn't it called the Aria-Pokemon? So why not use Meloetta's famous voice to open the door or make that mirror appear? That crucifixion scene was so totally unnecessary, given how easily it could have been avoided and that's the reason why I was complaining.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Blog Entries

We're done with the religious debate.
    G50, PTOldMan, MizuTaipu and 18 others like this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

So...is Larry even really necessary, anyway? Wouldn't it have been better if he wasn't in the episode and we got to see more of the Rocket-Dan, especially considering this is supposed to be their last major plot?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    So...is Larry even really necessary, anyway? Wouldn't it have been better if he wasn't in the episode and we got to see more of the Rocket-Dan, especially considering this is supposed to be their last major plot?
    Having a guardian character is necessary. This was the perfect episode to give Golurk a proper debut. They needed a trainer to have him.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Having a guardian character is necessary.
    Why? I don't see any reason Meloetta needs someone to protect her, from the storytelling side of things.
    Duque and martianmister like this.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Necessary so that next episode Meloetta can be written out despite being initially so attached to Ash to then follow him halfway across the country and sit there gazing at him for the next 8 episodes.

Besides, without him we'd have just heard Meloetta sing again to fill up time.

Blog Entries

Having a guardian character is necessary.
    Why? I don't see any reason Meloetta needs someone to protect her, from the storytelling side of things.
    I'm pretty sure she does. A Legendary out in the open with no guardian? PROTECTION PLEASE! xD

H.M
    Follow H.M On Twitter
    Follow H.M on Tumblr

Larry must not be a very good guardian if he let Meloetta out of his sight enough for her to pal around with Ash and buds for a few days, only to be brought up when the plot needs it. :V

I do think a small legendary like Meloetta needs a protector, but honestly it would've been cooler if it was a bigger, strong Pokemon instead. Not necessarily another legendary, though.

Oshawott used Baton Pass!
    ~Tumblr~Twitter~

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 27th September 2012, 05:36 AM