REVIEW: BW 094 "Seigaiha Gym Battle! Mantain VS Daikenki!!" - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: BW 094 "Seigaiha Gym Battle! Mantain VS Daikenki!!"

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 094 "Seigaiha Gym Battle! Mantain VS Daikenki!!"

I inserted spoiler tags in my review post for those of you that don't want to read it.

Warning: My review for this episode is very long. If you wish to read this review, please do so at your own discretion.

Blog Entries

By the way.. why did Iris and Axew get so creeped out by Jellicent?
    martianmister likes this.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

I can agree with many that this episode was a rather big letdown for many (then again, the past few episodes have been like that)

The first half feels like a completely separate episode from the second half as many are saying, and I can certainly agree with that, the entire episode felt like it was two different episodes that were pasted together. The first half is simply Ash and Kotetsu bonding with each other, and it's obvious that the writers spent the entire time focusing on this plot than the titular Gym battle plot in the second half, which feels shoehorned in at the last minute, because if there's one thing the anime writers are experts with a college degree at, it's shoehorning in plots at the last minute.

For the first plot of the episode, it's nice that we get some character development and some time for Ash and Kotetsu to connect, and many of the plotlines were recycled from older episodes in which Ash bonded with one of his rivals, including Ritchie, Morrison, and even Gary. I am glad that they actually had time to focus on their relationship outside of a tournament arc, since anymore, that's the only way the writers can seem to have the rivals interact with each other.

As for the Gym battle itself, I can agree on everyone that it was rather disappointing, since they only had 7 minutes left, the writers basically rushed it to completion, and as a result, the battle was rather boring and lacked substance. Marlon felt like a generic personality-less COTD than a Gym leader, and was barely seen throughout the episode until the later half, and within these 7 minutes, Kotetsu just happens to win the battle.

What really annoys me is that in the opening, Kotetsu replaces Dawn, which considerably annoys me since the writers only put Dawn in BW for fan-service and nothing more, while all the focus in the previous 10 episodes that had her were essentially "The Iris Show", in which Dawn was simply THERE doing barely anything at all, and to me, it seems like Kotetsu is going to be one of those "I only exist to defeat Ash in the league" characters, much like Ritchie and Tyson were before him.

This episode lacked much substance for something that had a lot of potential, but instead, went a completely different direction and shoehorned in the plot the title was about at the very last minute. I'll give this episode a 4/10, as the writers know they can do better than this...
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Excadrill est tres Beast Lafayette Excadrill's Avatar

I heard a lot of new music in this episode. It was a nice change

Blog Entries

Well I’m just going to skip discussing the first half of the episode because everyone else has pretty much summed it up; “bonding” between Ash and the new rival and it made the episode seem like 2 in one when it should have been separate plots: Ash and rival bonding and then the rival having his gym battle.

Kind of like Ash and Paul in Bewilder Forest and then a few episodes later Paul vs. Roark. It was great development between their first meeting and then the rival’s gym battle.

Moving on to the battle; it was good but rushed, with a lack of Pokémon abilities being used but what else is new? Ferrothorn was lackluster mainly because I use one in the Battle Subway in the games and it is really useful. I mean Thunderbolt was a good strategy but for it to beat Jellicent in one attack?

Ridiculous considering that it has nice Sp. Defense stats in the games. And only Shadow Ball? So many other great moves could have been used but oh well the clock was ticking on a 22 minute show…

Ferrothorn losing to a bunch of not-very effective moves was also a disappointment. Wing Attack was neutral since it was used on a Pokémon that was half Grass. Even if it was a barrage of moves too bad Iron Barbs didn’t damage Mantine

Finally my favorite Unova Starter had an awesome battle!!! Ash should take notes; that is how you evolve a Pokemon and all of its moves were incredible! I really loved Aqua Jet ramming its horn into the opponent and Razor Shell being used for defensive and offensive techniques. What I really enjoyed was how Samorott could “stand” while using its shells.

Why do I have a feeling that Ash will use Miju against its fully evolved form in the Pokemon League???

The whole time the match was going in the 2nd round, I couldn’t help but think that Ash’s new rival would have been screwed if Mantine’s Special Ability was Water Absorb…

Blog Entries

Looks like they are finally using music from Movie 14, Black-Victini and Reshiram. The music during the Mantine vs Samurott fight is actually "Zekrom vs Reshiram (Reshiram version)". Unfortunately, it's unreleased. It's a shame. I like that version better than the released Zekrom version.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Wow. It felt like two separate episodes were spliced into one.

Seeing the ever-badass Samurott kick butt was a lovely touch. Although, it should have been longer.

Since my internet hates, me I missed last week's episode and thus, this is my first exposure to Kotetsu and his Riolu with a terrible voice.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ash was so out of character in this episode. How could Ash NOT want to challenge a Gym leader, even if he already has all 8 badges?

It's just so.....wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Ash was so out of character in this episode. How could Ash NOT want to challenge a Gym leader, even if he already has all 8 badges?

It's just so.....wrong.
    Yes, a huge contrast to the 1st Gym where he fought against all 3 different Gym Leaders.

This episode... I like the bonding of Ash and Kotetsu, although that split up part to me was puzzling. The least they could have done is have both boys and Iris and Cilan converse with each other a little more not knowing they split apart. This one seem awkward to me, from the silence and from the little time they start to split apart.

I would have liked the Gym battle more if it got more focus. Samurott was incredible and it really stabs me the possible thought Ash may not have him.

I guess so far BW plans not to have any 1 hour specials. This would be appropriate for it to show the 8th Gym Leader's power other than what was displayed.
    People cannot protect their precious ones only with kindness. I am prepared to protect my important friends. Even if I will be called the devil! There's no way you can win, when you don't have bond with friends.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

It's just so.....wrong.
    How is that OOC? He never had an urge to challenge more than eight gyms.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

It's just so.....wrong.
    I can agree with you there, if Ash came across another Gym, even with 8 badges already, he would have challenged it, this however, was probably one of the biggest OOC moments he has ever had, even worse is that it used what could be considered a forgettable character to battle against a Gym leader that was simply shoehorned in. Honestly, when BW2 first came out, I expected Ash to battle Marlon once he reached Seigaiha, instead, we get Ash watching a considerably forgettable character battling him in under 7 minutes in a battle that was poorly coordinated as a result of the writers rushing things to completion.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

While I loved the episode overall, I have mixed emotions about the battle between Kotetsu and Marlon. I was ecstatic to see both my favourite Pokemon Samurott, and favourite Unova Gym Leader debut in the same episode. However while one looked amazing, slick and powerful, the other came off looking weak and redundant. Like others have said, if this episode wasn't so rushed, then maybe Marlon wouldn't have been shafted so badly. I really hope we get to see more of him, but unfortunately it doesn't look like time will allow it.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

I'm sure the writers had Ferrothorn with Thunderbolt just to activate Cursed Body and show how smart they were because they got it right this time around... Yeah, no school style rewards from this forum, now off to the naughty corner with you...
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

So after going through the entire series without treating type advantages with a shred of dignity a non stab thunderbolt one shots a Jellicent. Why didn't they have Ferrothorn use power whip kids need to know about more moves isn't that the point of the show. Writers should be forced to look at any pokemon they put in their episode Jellicent is known for his special defence and Ferrothorn has bad special attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Blog Entries

It would have been a good episode if not by Kotetsu. I can stand this character.

Really, the only good part was to finally see Daikenki battling.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 13th September 2012, 05:57 AM