REVIEW: BW 092 "Satoshi, Iris, and Shooty! The Last Battle!!"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: BW 092 "Satoshi, Iris, and Shooty! The Last Battle!!"

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default BW 092 "Satoshi, Iris, and Shooty! The Last Battle!!"

Please read about the rule changes regarding negative posts if you haven't already!!

Satoshi, Iris, and Shooty! The Last Battle!!

Animation - Team Kato
    Screenplay - Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
    Storyboard - Shigeru Ueda
    Assistant director - Shigeru Ueda
    Animation director - Atsushi Ogata

The Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup continues with a battle between Satoshi's Waruvil and Iris' Kairyuu!
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 092 "Satoshi, Iris, and Shooty! The Last Battle!!"

Huh. Pretty nice battle between Ash and Iris. But the battle against Trip felt more like the "Let's see how much we can make that snake look awesome at the expense of Ash's battling skills" show.

All in all, I hope Alder destroys Trip next ep.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    Huh. Pretty nice battle between Ash and Iris. But the battle against Trip felt more like the "Let's see how much we can make that snake look awesome at the expense of Ash's battling skills" show.

All in all, I hope Alder destroys Trip next ep.
    At least Satoshi gave it a valiant effort by trying to speed up Chaobu with all those Nitro Charges, Jalorda was just too fast for Chaobu in the end and his speed was an answer for everything in Chaobu's arsenal. I'm glad to see Satoshi at least used some nice logic. XD

Kairyu going batshit crazy...looks like the plotline isn't done for yet.

Waruvial was amazing.

So, looks like Kairyu will listen when battling weaker, smaller opponents, and a Ground-type like Waruvile. But, when he evolved his battling instincts took control of him and he realized that upon being struck by that Dragon Claw and evolution.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 30th August 2012 at 06:08 AM.

Well, this was a better episode than last week's. I loved the music, even though I was listening through KeyHole. The battle between Satoshi and Iris was pretty good. The other one not so much. At least Satoshi did use a bunch of Nitro Charges, but it would've been nice if he had been able to hit Jalorda at least once.

But I, too, am hoping to see Shooty get flattened by Adeku.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It's disappointing that the final, deciding battle of the entire tournament, one in which the main character of this show participated in and lost, was buried in between two battles the way it was. It just didn't feel feel like it was given the attention it deserved because it was rushed through so much.
    Isaac Gravity likes this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Best Ep of the tourney, which isn't saying a lot. Still pretty poor episode. Ash/Iris battle started well, except for the part where Dragonite was magically listening to Iris, because that makes perfect sense. Then the Evo. One of the more believable/deserved Evos of the series IMO. Liked the Addition of Dragon Claw too. Krookodile is looking like Ash's strongest this region, with one of the most diverse and best move sets, and thank fuck it finally got a 4th move. But then Dragonite got all pissy again, and Iris got all Irisy. And did Dragonite intentionally get hit by crunch so it could feel more pain? or was that just an accident lol, because that would be odd. And then yay Iris finally was knocked from the tournament, and I can sleep easy lol.

That final was god awful. Ash kept calling the same moves, Pignite kept missing, because apparently Serperior is some sort of speed demon. The whole time I wanted him to use Fire pledge, and then he did, and it just dodged it anyway haha. Didn't even land a hit. ugh

I get that they were trying to make Trip look like a threat and all, but this tourney only made Serperior look like a threat, not really Trip as a whole.

Lets hope Alder wrings out that snake : )

Moe
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the battle with Iris was very well executed. Especially Dragonite stopping obeying mid battle once it got hit hard - I like that. An aspect I didn't think of earlier was the comment Trip made about the weakness that Dragons have to Dragon types in response to Iris' fear - considering it took a dragon move to really throw Dragonite is very good writing in that context.

I suppose they had to do a really good job with that battle, because the one afterwards was pathetic. Couldn't Ash just land something at some point? Though I think it brings into focus the problem with Pignite's lack of a diverse moveset, the fire attacks weren't working but he had nothing to fall back on, while Serperior had a great variety of different attacks to work with on top of the huge speed advantage. It'd be nice if Ash takes some time to work on both speed training and move diversity before the league - the problems that Pignite is facing are almost identical to what were the problems that Chilli's Pansear was having.

Favourite shot this week was the reactions from the Pokemon to Dragonite being hit with dragon claw - the whole spectrum of emotions there.

Something I was also disappointed about was no interaction at all between Ash and Trip after the battle - not even a handshake or something. Ash should have been able to recognise how well Trip has trained Serperior or make one of those 'I'll beat you next time' comments to set up a future battle - a Pikachu fist-pump, or something.

Blog Entries

Taken by itself, this was a solid episode. The battle between Iris and Satoshi was great, loads of drama. I liked seeing Waruvial and his newly evolved glasses. XD It made sense, we saw him train, we saw him get stronger and stronger and to see him evolve here was not only justified, but actually rewarding. The battle looked great, I liked that we saw some strategy on Satoshi's side prior to the evolution, that it wasn't a total blowout and that Waruvile could have fought back without evolving. Though, the first part of the battle made me realize just how much I was bored with its moveset so, I'm glad he learned Dragon Claw. Battle between Satoshi and Shooti felt rushed but still looked good, wonder how Jalorda kept pulling a Houdini and how Satoshi will handle that in the League, but I'm slightly more interested in their upcoming matchup so the battle served its purpose. Satoshi was pissed at the end, which is pretty much a stronger reaction than he had to shooti all season long, so that's great. Both of them could've interacted more.

Now, I said taken on its own, this was a solid episode, because well... some of the elements about it that worked were dampened by the bs that happened in previous episode. Iris losing control about Kairyu mid-battle, not quite understanding what's wrong, losing the battle because of it (actual consequence!) and then feeling like she wasn't a great trainer, actually being introspective, reflective, vulnerable. All of these things and seeing in the future how she'll bounce back from it are the building blocks to making Iris an actually interesting character. But, honestly, all I could say while watching her lose was, "finally". This should've been Iris' first round, start off well, lose control and lose, but yeah, I can't really feel all that bad for Iris because she still made it to the semis with zero training whatsoever, flattening characters that had either been steadily training and growing or had more battles under their belt than Iris, characters with an actual storyline that doesn't magically disappear and appear like all Iris' Pokémon "disobedience" storyline. Because she and Kairyu were so overly glorified in the past few weeks, it really made this moment, which could have been incredibly compelling, feel kinda moot.

Also, another thing I disliked about the episode: Cabernet, Langley, Dent and Hikari. Or rather, the underusage of them. Dent's no longer a participant, let's I don't know, have him interact with Cabernet so we see some development there. Hikari's been through what Iris went through, so of course, let's have her stand there and say nothing. Less Shirona would have helped this episode tremendously.

Blog Entries

this episode was better then the first two put together.

Blog Entries

Wow....Ash wins by doing what the others should've done in the first place, take advantage of Dragonite's blind fury. So Serperior is fast, too. Woop de doo. Anything to keep the status quo.
    Isaac Gravity likes this.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

How did Krookodile's voice sound?

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stern Ritter View Post
    How did Krookodile's voice sound?
    It sounded like the voice Krokorok had when it evolved in the Ducklett ep, before they changed it to a slighter lighter tone in subsequent appearances. And it says 'Biru' instead of 'Wabi' now.
    Ishida likes this.

Blog Entries

Well, I'm glad to see Iris' frustration when Dragonite went berserk. I'm even happier to see her lose. I wish one of those stray Flamethrowers roasted her. Every time I see Iris and Georgia together, I feel more and more sorry for Georgia, dealing with someone who's ego is bigger than her hairstyle. Krookodile's timely evolution was one of the more justified mid-battle evolution of the series. Dragonite's face when Krookodile evolved was priceless, followed by an epic smack of Dragon Claw. I was so glad to see Dragonite still not listening to Iris... well, except for the first half of the battle. Guess we can expect more work on that (despite the fact Iris did no work at all with Dragonite to begin with).

Cynthia was her usual beautiful, wonderful self, though she had a surprisingly amount of screen time this episode. Not that I'm complaining. Any episode with Cynthia in it, no matter how much time she has on screen, is still wonderful. To me, anyway. Guess I still can't get enough of her.

Okay... someone please explain to me how Serperior could pull those Houdini-like moves!? I know it's the fastest of the Unova starter trio, but come on, it was like a phantom today. I don't think even Ghost-types have that ability, or at least to that degree. Poor Pignite, I felt so bad for him. No matter what he tried, Serperior just found some way to avoid every and all his attacks. Why is Trip's overgrown vine snake so insanely powerful? It moped the floor with a Darmanitan, a Heatmor, a Crustle, and now a Pignite like it was child's play! I sooo can't wait to see Adler flatten Trip and his slippery serpent. That kid is in need of an ego deflating. I hope when the League comes around, Ash trounces Trip. Paul was one thing, being a veteran trainer, but Trip has gone too far, being a bloody newbie on the field, yet still being able to dominate so viciously.

Overall, it was better than the past episodes of this flimsy tournament. Still seemed a bit unbalanced at times, but at least it fared better than the last couple of episodes.
    Duque, Aura7541, 8ther and 1 others like this.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

This Space For Rent DynoStretch's Avatar

Honestly I wasn't too big of a fan of this episode. The results of the battles were fine, but not so much the battles themselves.

My problem with the Krookodile vs Dragonite battle is it was far too one-sided in Dragonite's favor, and only managed to turn around once Krokorok (and his sunglasses apparently) evolved. Seems like the only to beat a Deus ex Machina like Dragonite is to pull a Deus ex Machina powerboost. The end of the fight though was very satisfying though, mostly because we got to see Dragonite finally be defeated, and seeing Iris miserable about her loss after two episodes of undeserved victories! Seeing Langley be proved right about Iris not being able to control Dragonite was also enjoyable.

Hold on, I need to go get a bucket for Iris' tears of defeat!

Sadly, the second battle wasn't any better. Again, it was a total one-sided curb stomp, and frustrating to see Pignite get it's rump roast completely handed to him. It unfortunately portrays Ash as not being able to win a tough fight unless he pulls a DEM, which he'll most likely have to do in the league to beat Trip. I know Seperior is fast as hell, but it wouldn't have killed the writers to let Pignite get at least one hit in. They seem to have been going way too far to paint Serperior as ungodly strong, beating nothing but fire types and bug types. It feels like an over-compensatory way to bounce Trip back as a legit threat.

I'm fine with Trip winning and Ash being miserable about it though, as it sets up their inevitable confrontation in the league, but the complete lack of interaction between the two just shows moreso how weak and forced their rivalry is. I'll be looking forward to seeing Trip get beaten in next week's episode.

As I mentioned, besides Dragonite losing, the best part of this episode for me was the fact that the losers of the battles were actually miserable about their defeats, as opposed to almost every other battle in this region where the trainer is just stupidly happy that they tried their best and all that cheesy sportsmanship crap. It lets you feel sympathetic towards them (or in Iris' case, karmic satisfaction) and makes you want to see them succeed next time.

Hmm, I wonder how good Iris' tears would go with vodka or brandy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dp205.jpg  
    The White Supremacy Alliance

- Shogun - Watt - Dharuma - Ectoplasm - Ragnorok - Balrog -

This is a joke,right? Ash has gone through five regions, won the battle frontier and orange league, and still hasn't battled any of the champions. Meanwhile a newbie who has only gone through one region not only beats ash but gets to battle the champion? This is absurd, people criticise the Writing for the Kanto episodes but compared to this, Kanto was genius.

I love dragonite but I can't stand Iris's for some reason. They can't seem to be able to pull of the disobeying Pokemon thing convincingly anymore.

I am shocked as to how horrid the writing has been this season. The writing for Sinnoh was outstanding, I am speechless as to how bad this series has been.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 16th December 2012, 08:24 AM
  2. 30th August 2012, 05:50 AM
  3. 30th August 2012, 05:34 AM