Default Re: BW 090 "The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!"

What about when he stopped blocking what was up with that
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Just saw the episode. I don't understand why so many people call the battles "rushed" when we've seen dozens of battle montages in the show over the years. That's all it was, I see no problem there.

-Dragonite clearly doesn't know how to dodge, or it thinks it's such a "tough guy" that it doesn't need to. Turtwig didn't understand what dodging meant either, but that was soon fixed. Also, it's not really disobedient in the same way that Charizard or Mamoswine were. It's willing to battle for Iris, but it thinks it doesn't need her help and it can do it its own way. My guess on how this will be resolved is that a similar battle happens but Dragonite loses and feels really depressed about it. Eventually Iris manages to bring it out of its depression, and it realizes it's better off listening to her. Or possibly something similar to the demonstration battle Ash and Scraggy gave Chris and Cubchoo against that Larvitar. Cubchoo watched the battle and liked the idea of battling with Chris. Maybe something similar will happen with Dragonite, it'll watch another battle and decide to try working with Iris.

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude
    3DS: 3050 7720 3499 -- 3DS #2: 2036 8216 4990

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    Just saw the episode. I don't understand why so many people call the battles "rushed" when we've seen dozens of battle montages in the show over the years. That's all it was, I see no problem there.
    I see a problem when Burgundy spent more screen time in this episode in introducing herself to Dawn than she did battling. I see a problem with Dawn, who supposedly returned to the show just to compete in this tournament has 10 seconds of battling. I see a problem when Ash, who is supposed to be the main character of the show, in his last tournament before the league is given 10 seconds to show all of his strength and training that is supposedly going to set him up to beat the Dragonite that's the focus of most of the episode. Or Trip, who is now able to win battles, but we don't get to see what he's doing differently because we didn't see him battle for more than 10 seconds.

The other battles of a tournament provide the context it all occurs in. You can't judge a Trainer's strength and get an idea of what sort of chance they have in the tournament in such a short space of time - the only hook for this tournament is 'what will happen with Dragonite', there is absolutely nothing for any of the other characters battle wise, to the point where they could all have just been COTDs.

Indeed, there's a reason the tournament COTDs all got names and descriptions in the past - because it matters who the main characters are beating. Having nearly all the elimintations be of COTDs, and seemingly the latter rounds built up of main characters beating COTDs means you need to spend some time establishing them as competitors. Trip gets through to battle Ash in the final, but if he only fights nameless generic COTDs (the only other route is a revenge match against Cilan, who's weak anyway) - that doesn't set him up as having improved any, it just shows he didn't face tough competition in the lead up to the finals - again, meaning no character development.

A montage per se isn't a bad thing, this montage was. Always fade out in a montage.....

Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

It's just the first episode of an arc, it's too early to say most of that yet.

Blog Entries

Not really. This episode already ruined Burgundy's slow growth as a trainer over her appearances to date by knocking her out with no detail - and it failed at setting up anything for any of the other characters.

Dawn's only contribution to this episode was a comment about someone else's battle being like a contest - again if we actually got to see her battle they could have shown how she was dealing with this tournament, either as full training in battle or as another way of trying contests - it means she has no battle context going in to next week's battle against Dragonite, where instead of being able to develop her strengths she will come right up against a wall. If her battle in this episode was longer she could have shown some on screen gain from the trip.

For Cilan, his rival gets knocked out for nothing, but he still doesn't get to be shown as any more capable for any real reason, just she lost and he won. No explanation of why he wins and no justification for him being here in the first place. Which means next week when he loses, there's no meaning to it because the tournament has no meaning for him, at least nothing shown on screen.

And Ash and Trip lose a chance to observe eachother. You know Trip's one character point that has remained constant? No photos in this episode at all, no observations of others, just him with an angry look on his face.

These things can't just be fixed up next episode - the shorter timeframe of this tournament compared to the Don Battles means there's even less time to do this stuff, much less to do a good job of it.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

They've got 4 main characters going at the moment, plus a handful of rivals. Tournament arcs have never been more than 3 or 4 episodes in pokemon, so it's nothing new that we don't see every battle every named character has in full. They'll all have their time. In Leagues and GFs we're mainly following Satoshi with maybe one or two other characters being shown some development. With that we can see a larger percentage of people we care about's battles. When we've got 7 characters in a 16 person tourament, it makes sense people are gonna get knocked out every round and that we'd only see one or two battles from everyone. The characters that made it through this round made it through. That's really all you have to worry about. We just saw the battles of the ones that got knocked out just so we could see how exactly they got knocked out.

Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Trip isn't taking pictures because he's focused (more than usual) on winning so he can battle Alder. And he's kind of bitter about it too, after the last episode where they met when he saw what his idol was really like. Some of this is probably explained in the dialogue most of us don't understand.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

I already got too used to AG and DP's 2 second shots of contest battles and appeals and the two previous tournaments' 3 seconds long battles to cry pointlessly over this tournament's short battles. Though, these entertained me a bit. Which means..... IT'S PICTURE TIME :DDDDD!!! There were 2 funny looking endings:

And an epic looking ending:

Can't say I wasn't entertained looking at them.

Oh and DAMN, the match with Dragonite against Beartic is the one of the most badass battles in the entire show. Running through Beartic's Icy Wind and casting a ThunderPunch on it.... AWESOME. It's such a rare treat <3.

A cute and funny moment here:

I'm so glad that they carried over Iris' dialogue in the games about thinking that Cynthia's Garchomp is awesome. That moment there seems to be very underrated here. Gee, I wonder why :P?

Trip looked pretty intimidating in his battle against Burgundy:

That anger.... that fuel.... I could really feel for Trip. Seeing him be satisfied was good too:

Lets hope that keeps up.
    Last edited by HumanDawn; 7th August 2012 at 01:20 PM.

Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How can you call it bad ass win it makes Beartic look fucking pathetic. What's badass about all your moves doing nothing and it being over in one punch. A badass battle is one that makes both sides look strong. And why exactly did Dragonite stop blocking? Yeah no effort for no explained reason totally badass.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    How can you call it bad ass win it makes Beartic look fucking pathetic.
    I was referring to Dragonite's badassery:

Running through Beartic's Icy Wind and casting a ThunderPunch on it.... AWESOME
    What's badass about all your moves doing nothing and it being over in one punch.
    What's not badass about running through Icy Wind and casting a strong Thunderpunch that results in a OHKO :D?

A badass battle is one that makes both sides look strong.
    Not necessarily.

And why exactly did Dragonite stop blocking? Yeah no effort for no explained reason totally badass.
    Using its battle instincts :D! BADASS.

Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So you like your battle so lopsided it doesn't make any sense. Yeah that's good story telling.

Admin Iteru's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

That was Blizzard, not Icy Wind, as an fyi.

Primordial ChaosKnight Five-Gate Omega's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not every battle has to be down to the wire in my opinion and some battles should be completely one-sided. Although the battle between Iris and Georgia here does not speak well by being one sided at all. Im guessing the fact that the main character got no development from actually struggling in this battle considering Dragonite just rammed through Beartic is what ticked people off, not beacause the battle was just one-sided and there are other factors that contribute to this too, such as Iris capturing Dragonite before the tournament.

I personally love the fact Iris captured a Dragonite, though doing so just before a tournament is what ticks people off but im okay with it. I love the fact that Iris then proceded to curbstomp Georgia and her most powerful Dragon Buster, Beartic. It at least allows Georgia to better develop her skills as a Dragon Buster and should Iris and her Dragonite meet Georgia next time it could lead to some interesting development for thier rivalry as well. Now as for Iris and her Dragonite, im not surehow the writers are going to handle thier development so that worries me a bit. Anyways can't wait to watch the dub version of this episode, so far it looks good.

Happy NintendoDay Europe! Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Taiganite is still tsundere.

Personally, I liked the episode until Taiganite vs Beartic. Seriously Georgia, you started off with Hidden Power and Focus Blast, despite this whole episode shouting "DRAGON TYPES ARE WEAK TO ICE TYPES!"?

Also, I though the previous episodes really hammered in the aspect of training for the tournament...we never saw any of that did we? xD

Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    Also, I though the previous episodes really hammered in the aspect of training for the tournament...we never saw any of that did we? xD
    What were the battles outside Cynthia's place for, then?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast