REVIEW: BW 090 "The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!" - Page 4

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: BW 090 "The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!"

Tracey's #1 fangirl Kenji-girl's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial Board

Follow Kenji-girl on Tumblr

Default Re: BW 090 "The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Driller678 View Post
    How can some of you call this the worst tournament ever when that one with Jesse borrowing Aipom happened? or the one where they all battled to get Togepi (even though it was hilarious)?
    Because we expect better of an official tournament based on one that occurs in the games? In my opinion those had a better plot than this.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos King View Post
    That exhibition battle wasn't great, either. Neither pokemon got knocked out in the end, and it felt to me that Garchomp's strength diminished in this tournament than it had been in DP. Garchomp singlehandedly took down numerous ace pokemon belonging to Sinnoh E4 members in DP, but it struggled to take down Caitlin's Gothitelle. Of course, it was possible that neither trainer took the battle seriously because it was an exhibition match (i.e. Gothitelle used an electric-type attack on Garchomp, for example, to set up some fireworks).
    You said it! But I'm afraid I can't share your opinion regarding the match not being a serious one. How I wished you were right but I think it's the bitter truth that the writers did it all on purpose for the reasons I mentioned before.
    It's not really an opinion. It's a fact that the match was an exhibition match. So it really wasn't a serious one. Here's a description of what an exhibition match is:

An exhibition game (also known as an exhibition match, exhibition, demonstration, demo, exhibit or friendly) is a sporting event in which there is no competitive value of any significant kind to any competitor (such as tournament or season rankings, or prize money) regardless of the outcome of the competition.
    If Cynthia OHKO'd her, where would be the fun in that? As a Cynthia fan myself, I want to see her last long in battles instead of OHKO'ing her opponents. Don't you want to see her glory and talents too? If she just OHKO Gothitelle, it would be a boring exhibition match. What would be the point of it?

OMG, Cynthia, what have they done to you? If only I could save you from all this...
    My only hope is those so-called "writers" will redeem Cynthia in the near future, otherwise I'm done with this show! I'm so furious, I'd stop watching it immediately if I wasn't such a big fan.
    Redeem her for what? Making a show? Showing off her talents?
    Ampharos King likes this.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The problem with all these BW tournaments is they try to add too many characters in them. Seeing the same characters lose time and time again makes me wonder what the point of them are.

At this point I feel like Georgia and Burundgly are nothing more than joke rivals meant to be useless battle foddler. Even Barry who consistently lost in DP at least kept his humor and was entertaining.
    Signas likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    At this point I feel like Georgia and Burundgly are nothing more than joke rivals meant to be useless battle foddler. Even Barry who consistently lost in DP at least kept his humor and was entertaining.
    I think that's the problem here. Burgundy has never won an onscreen battle if memory serves. It's just Like Bianca was for awhile, there is no point in having this person if their job is to get constantly get worfed. THey could have just as easily let some nameless characters get beaten by Trip and Dragonite.

Still the Unova Champion in my book.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post

Are you implying that the girls aren't funny or entertaining? Because I enjoy almost all scenes of those characters, even in this episode. It hurts that Cabernet couldn't do a single thing thanks to the writers need to glorify Shootie for this tournament, but as a character she has always been fun to me.
    Last edited by TeddiUrsa; 2nd August 2012 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    As for the episode itself, of course the battles would be crap with Takegami writing. I gave up long ago of expecting good non Rocket related things out of him.
    Agreed. Takegami simply cannot write battles at all. With him, they're almost always one-sided as this episode proved. Why he was let loose on a frickin' tournament episode is beyond me.
    Musashi likes this.

Ursula and Harley lost quite a few times, but they were still made out to be threats, contribute a good amount to their respective rival's plot, and not look like total push-overs.

With Georgia it's really Iris that messes up their rivalry since Georgia is always willing to get in the ring and does fairly and unbiased, and with Burgundy its these damn tournaments that messes up her rivalry with Cilan. She has shown improvement, but never getting past round one, or having any outside battle wins as well as being knocked around with a type advantage as she clearly had which this series cares little for is bizarre and also very cold if you think about it.

Burgundy is classified as a "rival" so shit if Trip can be made to look like an Adonis with zero personality for one tournament, Burgundy better get at least ONE win before Best Wishes is over, and by all means writers, let it be legit.
    Shinneth likes this.

I actually thought the characterization of the rivals in this episode was pretty consistent, and well written actually.

Burgundy was bitter, Georgia was confrontational, Trip was goal focused and displayed quite a deal of emotion.

It was the battles that sunk it, save for Garchomp vs Gothitelle, it was boring! Which is shame because Best Wishes battles have actually really been improving in the past 30 or so episode, almost to the peak of Diamond an Pearl.

So yeah, I agree with Musashi, when I wonder why they let Takegami write battles, since he/she can't

Why writers? Why must you act like you made this brand new special awesome tournament when its just so.
    Lack of screen time for the entire cast just to make Iris Dragonite look so powerful?? Rivals not even getting a chance to actually put up a good fight? Bah.
    At least Trip finally won a battle against some one that wasn't Ash :P
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

Primordial ChaosKnight Five-Gate Omega's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm, Yet that begs the question, Could Ash possibly beat Trip finally? From a logical in-world standpoint perhaps Ash has quite a decent chance. From a Story and Developmental perspective, NOT A CHANCE UNTIL THE LEAGUE!!! This is what will inevitably piss me off from this tournament and quite frankly i couldn't care less about Iris and her supposed God-Mode Dragonite as well as they overall execuiton of this second-rate tournament. This rivalry of Ash and Trip was doomed the moment Trip was shown to be incompetent against other important characters other than Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by Five-Gate Omega View Post
    Hmm, Yet that begs the question, Could Ash possibly beat Trip finally? From a logical in-world standpoint perhaps Ash has quite a decent chance. From a Story and Developmental perspective, NOT A CHANCE UNTIL THE LEAGUE!!! This is what will inevitably piss me off from this tournament and quite frankly i couldn't care less about Iris and her supposed God-Mode Dragonite as well as they overall execuiton of this second-rate tournament. This rivalry of Ash and Trip was doomed the moment Trip was shown to be incompetent against other important characters other than Ash.
    Well, Best Wishes 2 has been doing different things than the past series so don't say no just yet.
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

Blog Entries

There have been mentions (in the game, at least - dunno about the anime) that battle frontier members are at or above E4/Pokemon League level. Cynthia is a champion but not invincible. Serious or not, I could imagine her going toe to toe with a frontier member and not have a result in 10 minutes. Even when she faced Flint (and an undetermined amount of time had already passed before Ash tuned in) he was no pushover. I don't understand where all the upheaval is coming from (bar one member) in a draw.

So, now that dragonite has shown to us how little he cares about 4x effective ice attacks, can we call him DEM now?

With the 'world' tournament looking like this, I can only wonder how the league will be written...
    Shinneth likes this.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

.....Sigh...

I don't even know what was with this episode...

The battle between Cynthia and Caitlin looked great and was the best part of the episode. The rest, not so much.

I know the Dragonite is supposed to be strong, but there's limits to showing it before it becomes ridiculous.
    Shinneth likes this.

Blog Entries

BTW, could anyone provide details on the hints towards Caitlyn's past?

Somalian Anarchy Leader! John Understands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow John Understands on Tumblr Visit John Understands's Youtube Channel

You know when something with almost no plot at all (PWT) is better than something with plot (PWT Junior Cup), something is wrong.

If someone else was facing off her Dragonite, it would mean certain faint...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd August 2012, 05:32 AM