REVIEW: BW 090 "The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!" - Page 2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: BW 090 "The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 090 "The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!"

Oh my god.. this tournament is ass the only good thing coming out of it is Krookodile. I can't believe I got hyped for this.. just bring on the League

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Has it been established that trainers from other regions are encouraged to participate in the Unova Junior Cup?
    It has been openly stated in the scans from Pokémon Fan(which is owned by Shogakukan) that there are trainers coming from all around the world:

"These Trainers have come from all over the world. The winner gets to battle Champion Alder!"
    Translation is in the first post of this thread, along with scan: (link) Translation is by Sushi of Serebiiforums, so if you want to ask anything, ask Sushi, not me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    So....everyone is happy that a "Deux Ex Machina" is being taken down with another Deux Ex Machina....
    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru
    You know, it would be hilarious if Harley did get a sex change and became Langley.
    Youtube account, DA account, SerebiiForums account, Tinypic account, Imageshack account, Photobucket account,Smogon account, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

Blog Entries

Wait! Did the Shirona-Cattleya fight end in a draw??? im shocked!

Boulder Trainer Mikuri's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator

How disappointing an episode can be? Because I think that this one exceeded the limits.
    Trip getting a free pass to the second round;
    Burgundy being treated as a character of the day;
    Dawn's only victory in this tourney being in a battle that lasted for 3 seconds;
    Dragonite being capable of withstanding Ice-type attacks smoothly;
    Georgia's Beartic falling to a Thunder Punch;
    But the worst thing was seeing Iris all happy to have won a match with a Pokémon that does not listen to her. I remember that in the Daybreak Contest Dawn was sad because the Flame Ice had not worked the way she wanted, Ash then told her she have not to worry about it, because she had passed to the next round, but Dawn was more concerned with the combination. Iris does not feel the same, the important thing is that she won a battle against the strongest Pokémon of her rival using a Pokémon she captured a day before the competition.

But apart from that, it was nice to see Caitlin. And the battle she had with Cynthia ended like a Contest Battle, I loved it.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

*sanity regained*

This episode... was so fast. One minute I'm looking at the beautiful, glorious and well-paced Cynthia and Caitlin battle, and in the next there's Georgia and Dragonite's Iris' battle. The problem with rushed battles is that they don't let the viewer enjoy what is being shown to them. It makes the viewer feel confused, puzzled and lack interest. Take the Cynthia and Caitlin battle as an example. The battle is going pretty well, both sides are giving it their all, you can't wait for the outcome and poof, battles' over. I also can't believe that the battle lasted ten whole minutes, resulting in Cynthia's first on-screen tie, when it only lasted around two minutes. It's times like these that I wish an episode of Pokemon lasted around 42 minutes instead of the usual 21 minutes. Unfortunately for the writers (and fortunately for the animators XD ), that will never happen.

<3

Trip and Alder's plot in this episode was built up nicely. You have Trip keeping an eye on Alder's reactions to his battle and Alder looking at Trip oddly. So far, the tension's good. It made me both interested and compelled a bit. Hopefully it will lead to something good. I don't really get why people think that Trip possibly battling Alder is pointless because he could have battled with him after the 'battle' with Ash. I mean, what if they did battle in that episode? Wouldn't Trip be unsatisfied with Alder not caring? Wouldn't Trip still strive to train harder and battle Alder again, still thinking that his own methods are better? Regarding Trip's win against Burgundy, I'm really happy that Trip won. This isn't Burgundy's tournament. At first I though that Serperior beating Darmanitan with one Solarbeam was cheap, but then I remembered the many times I beat Fire-type Pokemon with a CRITICAL HIT Solarbeam in the Battle Subway as a last resort. The same happened in this episode.

Iris and Georgia's battle... ugh.... It was just as I feared in the preview thread. Hellion summed it up perfectly:

There's no consequences, no cost, no struggle, no hardship, nothing to really test her character and force her to grow and progress. It's a match she should have lost, or been disqualified, or retired from, whatever.
    I was hoping that Dragonite wouldn't be displayed to be overpowered, but that battle with Beartic, the same Beartic that tied with Excadrill, countering its every move, breaking out of the ice, showed it to have immense strength. I'm not going to disregard the potential development, but lets just say that it isn't looking good for Iris' writing. Georgia calling her out on it was good, but not really satisfactory. Lets just hope that in the next episode the scenario isn't as... grating...

Oh and CAN'T THE ANIMATORS DRAW GOTHITELLE CORRECTLY?. Just look:

PokeDex 3D showed them to be longer and bigger.

The highlight of this episode still remains to be Cynthia and Caitlin's battle to me. Garchomp getting out of Gothitelle's Psychic with Dragon Rush was great and the contest-like combination of Dragon Meteor and Thunderbolt was great too. It definitely looked like a battle an Elite Four member and Champion would make. Sadly, it didn't last...

I hope that Caitlin's appearance means that Grimsley, Shauntal and Marshal will show up too.
    Last edited by HumanDawn; 2nd August 2012 at 08:07 AM.
    Aeon and Artichoker like this.

Terrible episode. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Burgundy's loss, the lack of everyone's battle screentime but the final match, and the final match itself all pissed me off to no end. Let me just get this straight:

A Dragonite that can withstand attacks and break free shows no struggle to be captured and can be caught without being battled. Get the fuck out of here with that bull shit. I hereby declare that this is the worse tournament ever.

Trip did not phase me at all. I still don't care for him, and his facial expressions still are pointless to me. Alder was funny, but that exhibition match did not meet my expectations. Rushed, rushed, everything was fucking rushed.

Burgundy aww man, my heart really goes out to her, same with Dawn. This episode as well as the preview for next made me want Dawn to leave soon. Not that I don't like Dawn, but because she's being royally fucked by the power of plot, I feel if she stays, her character will continue to be made a joke out of.

I don't know about anyone else, but wouldn't a real world tournament be consisted of interesting characters who use pokemon from different regions and one's they've trained? No, not this tournament, not at all.

My girl Georgia got beyond screwed here, but thankfully I have a good feeling this isn't the last we've seen of her. I am actually happy that Kenyan and Bel weren't in this, for their characters don't deserve to get screwed over royally.

Here's hoping that Georgia and Burgundy would have left by now, because honestly who would want to stick around for this bull shit.

I can't believe Iris was made out to be the underdog in this thing, like damn.

Blog Entries

I really do love Pokemon but I can agree with everyone this was a rushed episode and it was boring. I really don't care about Trip or his fanboying, I just care about Ash and his buddies kicking but together. The only thing in intress here was Dawn meeting the rivals of unova and the Garchomp battle and that all. I hope that in next time they show us this arc that the battles will not just zoom by like this episode.

Trip is still a boring charter ever in this episode
    Last edited by Iteru; 2nd August 2012 at 12:14 PM.

Visit PrinceGray's Youtube Channel

As soon as I found out Burgundy was in the tournament, I knew she was gonna get owned.
    98% of fans believe that Ash's Oshawott won't evolve. If you are part of the 2% the believes in Samurott, copy and paste this into your sig and screw the haters! (Started by Me)

Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    I don't care that in the original Japanese version his name is Sat-o-shi or Suh-to-shi he's called Ash in the anime he's call Ash in the comic. AND I'M NOT JAPANESE!

Blog Entries

Disappointing episode to say the least and the worst part is that a new one isn't out until the 23rd. You would think for a tournament opener the writers would make it especially good so that viewers would WANT to wait until the 23rd to see what happens next.

Why do we even need so many tournament arcs? Are they really this necessary? Plus, this one is off to a disappointing start. Burgundy loses in her first battle, no surprise, all battles besides the ones between Caitlin and Cynthia and Iris and Georgia are glanced over, and Iris's Dragonite...Why do the writers insist on giving her Pokemon she has trouble handling? We had Axew having difficulty with Dragon Rage, Excadrill refusing to trust her, Emolga starting as a spoiled brat, and now we have a Dragonite that takes hits like a champ and attacks whenever it feels like it. This better come to a deserved payoff in the end, is all I can say.

Y Rotation Team

Blog Entries

This episode is a shining example of why the tournaments need to be longer than four episodes. The battles would have more depth to them and everything wouldn't be as rushed.

Burgundy losing so much in the first round of these things reminds me of when Jessie used to lose contests back in AG. The writers really are using her as Rocket comedy fodder whenever they don't show and I must say it's getting very annoying and insulting.

Burgundy is worth much more, so here's hoping she does go the Jesselina route and changes for the better. It's painful to watch a fun character suffer.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There was no surprise that this tournament was going to be as rushed as hell. How else would the writers get to the semis in the third episode without rushing all of the first round battles? None of the characters in the tournament received any proper battles yet. Trip's Serperior managed to defeat Burgundy's Darmanitan with just one attack. At least in the past two tournaments Burgundy managed to surprise her first round opponent and fought almost on even terms with him/her before losing. Here Burgundy used a pokemon with a type advantage and lost because Serperior used an attack that Darmanitan resisted, as powerful as Solarbeam was. Even if Darmanitan was paralyzed because of Glare, I felt that it still should have survived this attack.

The titular battle of the episode, Dragonite vs. Beartic, played out exactly as I saw it would. Beartic learned several powerful new attacks, like Blizzard and Focus Blast, which Dragonite easily shrugged off despite having a type disadvantage to Ice-type attacks and defeated Beartic with just one attack. Yawn. At least Georgia won't bitch that she didn't lose as a result of Iris not using a Dragon-type. Instead, she complained because she felt that Dragonite beat her and not Iris herself, which is surprisingly an appropriate statement.

That exhibition battle wasn't great, either. Neither pokemon got knocked out in the end, and it felt to me that Garchomp's strength diminished in this tournament than it had been in DP. Garchomp singlehandedly took down numerous ace pokemon belonging to Sinnoh E4 members in DP, but it struggled to take down Caitlin's Gothitelle. Of course, it was possible that neither trainer took the battle seriously because it was an exhibition match (i.e. Gothitelle used an electric-type attack on Garchomp, for example, to set up some fireworks).

The only good part about this episode was that two trainers with pokemon species that debuted in this episode - Akihiro (Cinccino) and Hirokazu (Reuniclus)- advanced to the quarterfinals.

This Space For Rent DynoStretch's Avatar

So let's see what we got out of this tournament so far... Battles that last about as long as it takes to eat a potato chip, Trip glaring at everyone like they just farted, genuinely likeable characters like Burgundy and Langley being tossed aside like CoTD fodder, and Iris winning with her newly obtained, disobedient Dragonite.

....this a great tournament already! :V

I think what ticked me off the most about Iris winning her battle with Langley was how Iris didn't even give a hoot about the fact that Dragonite didn't listen to her or anything. Langey even calls her out on it, but Iris doesn't care and gives us a face like "Who cares what you think? You're just comic relief!"

The best part of this episode had to be the battle of the blondes. Cynthia vs Caitlin. I loved their introductions, and the battle was easily the best match this series has done in a while, granted it would had been nice if the battle actually had a conclusion... or if after Cynthia and Caitlin shook hands they'd start making ou-

I mean waitwhat?

Overall a very drab and yawn episode. Well, maybe next week's episode will be dece-

Next in Japan - Episode #752, Airdate - 23/8/2012

The hell? Three weeks from now?? What's going on, is Japan too busy playing Persona 4 Arena?
    HumanDawn, Shinneth, Duque and 5 others like this.
    The White Supremacy Alliance

- Shogun - Watt - Dharuma - Ectoplasm - Ragnorok - Balrog -

i am surprised nobody is mentioning how many cryptic references cynthia and caitlin made to caitlin's past, including cynthia mentioning how caitlin had lots to overcome herself (her out of control psychic powers?) then caitlin pausing to remember (to herself, not out loud) she has "you" to thank for her being able to grow up, with a soft flashbacky feel, what i thought was an obvious reference to darach.

basically 90% of their dialogue was cryptic references to caitlin's youth at the sinnoh battle frontier.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd August 2012, 05:32 AM