REVIEW: BW 090 "The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!"

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: BW 090 "The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!"

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default BW 090 "The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!"

Please read about the new, immediate rule changes regarding negative posts if you haven't already!!

The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!

Animation - Team Kato
    Screenplay - Junki Takegami
    Storyboard - Fumihiro Yoshimura
    Assistant director - Fumihiro Yoshimura
    Animation director - Takashi Shinohara

The Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup has finally started! The winner will be given a chance to battle with Adeku, the Champion of the Isshu Region. The tournament starts off with an exhibition match between the Shin'ou Region's Champion Shirona and the Isshu Region's Four Heavenly Emperors' member Cattleya. This match between Shirona's Gablias and Cattleya's Gothilselle really gets the crowd fired up! Later, Iris and her Kairyuu go up against Langley's Tsunbear. However, Kairyuu won't listen to Iris' orders and take all of Tsunbear's super effective Ice-Type attacks head on! What will happen!?
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 22nd, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Default Re: BW 090 "The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!"

So what'd I miss? My keyhole was fucking up so bad I missed like 97% of the episode. Trip looked mad at Alder at the end though. Can someone briefly fill me in please? Cheers :)

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

I'm kinda curious about what (i'll use thier japan names instead since this is a japan epi) Cabernet said to Hikari?

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

This episode felt like every other "first episode of a Don Tournament" episode. They're all so samey now.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥Lady Marie♥
    I'm kinda curious about what (i'll use thier japan names instead since this is a japan epi) Cabernet said to Hikari?
    She told her to watch out for Dent.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 22nd, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

That was ridiculously rushed, it does feel just like the Don Battle tournaments...

There should be a rule about trainers automatically losing when their Pokémon refuse to obey them XD
    Trainer Gabriel and Piplup like this.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

Moe
    Blog Entries

So Iris and Dawn were the only one of the 16 entrants in the 'World' tournament to use non-Unova Pokemon in that first round. That's about as useless as Georgia's choice of attacks.

Iris being happy about winning annoyed me far more than her winning. Relief is the only emotion you're entitled to after winning with your Pokemon not listening to a word you say for the whole battle.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

/GASMING

TL;DR

Rushed battles and another Gothitelle mistake. Legs should have been longer :D. 10 minute battle limit is an interesting new addition. Alder hitting on Cynthia was lulzy. Ash, Iris, Cilan, Dawn and 3 characters of the day all made it to the next round. Yup, that's just about everybody :PPP.
    Last edited by HumanDawn; 2nd August 2012 at 05:51 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    So Iris and Dawn were the only one of the 16 entrants in the 'World' tournament to use non-Unova Pokemon in that first round. That's about as useless as Georgia's choice of attacks.
    Has it been established that trainers from other regions are encouraged to participate in the Unova Junior Cup? Yes, Dawn happens to be in Unova for a visit and is participating, but everyone else seems to be from Unova (except for Ash who has been in the region for a while). I would think that trainers would be expected to enter the Junior Cup in their home region, with later cups requiring that they advance to other regions.

Does the episode explain the World Tournament system at all? Or is that too much to ask for these days? Either way, the continued dominance of Generation V critters is saddening.

Blog Entries

Wow! That's great! Trip looks cool and cute there! I like battle between Georgia and Iris XD. That's all. And Alder's interaction with Chyntia made me LOL
    HumanDawn likes this.

Blog Entries

I'd like to have seen more of Burgundy, though her interaction with Dawn was pretty nice. Let's hope Dawn interacts with more Unova characters.
    Please "like" this page to help Portugal! We want to have Pokémon in HD! Please "like" this.

Also, sign this petition (you can sign by writing your Name and E-mail address on the "bolded" blanks and then clicking in "Assinar Petição")

Tracey's #1 fangirl Kenji-girl's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial Board

Follow Kenji-girl on Tumblr

Wow... How can I describe this episode? Well it's pretty much what I expected it to be. Utterly disappointing. Probably the worst opening to a tournament arc ever.

Just a bunch of one second battles and no character development other than Trip I guess. Unnecessary to blow through the entire first round just to show us how powerful Dragonite is. And what was the point of even adding Burgundy to the tournament if they just knock her out of the tournament in ten seconds? Just to get yucks from the viewers I guess? Seriously now.

Stephan and Bianca didn't at least get cameos either...

Blog Entries

Oh wow, this episode was bad and rushed. Adeku and Cabernet were funny in the beginning, and I really liked the interactions between Dent, Cabernet and Hikari. Shooti showing some personality besides apathy was equally nice, but therein lies the sole good things I have to say about this episode, cause the rest was pretty much awful.

The exhibition match at the beginning looked good and all, but it was kinda gratuitous and there to be there and introduce game characters. I would have rather seen good battles from actual participants in the tournament. I think Shirona's ugly ass cape had more screen time than Cabernet in this episode. XD I expected quick blink you miss it battles for every battle that didn't involve two main/recurring characters, but even those that did looked like crap. Shooti's smug inner comments about Adeku were longer than the match itself. What's the point of having Cabernet there if she's just going to get the random CotD treatment? Use a CotD instead. One-hit KO crapapaloozza follows. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn. Now, I thought that Langley v Iris would be cheap, but it managed to exceed my expectations of how cheap it was going to be. Look how Dragonite can take all of Tsunbear's attacks without really being affected cause he's so much stronger than everyone. Major yawn. What bugged me is that the episode was clearly trying to create some tension and make the audience feel bad for Iris, but lulz that majorly failed because there was no consequence to Iris' problem and guess what? This is a battle she should have lost. She enters a tournament with a Pokémon she has never trained or really worked with, she doesn't know his style, how they work together, then realizes he's disobedient and... does that cost her anything? She wins the match, everyone's super happy for her, except Langley who's portrayed as being really unlikable because how can you not cheer Iris and her overpowered Dragonite. There's no consequences, no cost, no struggle, no hardship, nothing to really test her character and force her to grow and progress. It's a match she should have lost, or been disqualified, or retired from, whatever. There's nothing gained from having her make it past round one except some more Iris glorification, cause heaven forbid she should actually have flaws, actually lose early in a tournament, actually be portrayed as a character that can still get better and actually be held accountable to her bullshit. It didn't feel earned, it just felt cheap.

Also, commentator guy and Adeku lacked the sexual tension that commentator guy and Don George have, it really made the commentary less interesting. XD

Blog Entries

*Yawn* -> pretty much overall describes by feelings towards this episode. This seems even more rushed than the Don Battle.
    Piplup likes this.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

I like how this was Reuniclus' debut episode, and it was only seen on screen for a split second. Granted, Ash will probably have to fight it at some point, but still. Are all the remaining gen V pokemon going to have unceremonious debuts?

Oh, and the episode was kind of shitty. At the moment, this certainly doesn't feel like a world tournament competition.

Blog Entries

As I feared, not only was the episode bad, and rushed, but Iris' Dragonite is steamrolling its way through the tournament, despite being disobedient. I was afraid of this. If those images on BNN are true, then Dragonite is just gonna plow its way through the tournament until the final round, whether it listens to Iris or not. Such cheapness. I'm not going to even bother watching this section when it comes out in the states.
    Phoenixphlare likes this.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 2nd August 2012, 05:32 AM