REVIEW: BW 089 "Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu!" - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: BW 089 "Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 089 "Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu!"

I seriously couldn't give two shits about how that Dragonite was caught right before the tournament, or how strong it is. The point that I'm going to take is that Iris got a new addition to her party, which is a good thing (since that's about only her 4th poke in nearly 2 years). I think that, with the way how the series has advanced so far in general strength, that a Doryuzu that rarely battled since the Don Tournament, a young Kibago with powerful top level moves and a lazy Emonga with a weird Volt Switch...Iris would be a fucking pushover in this Tournament!

I'm glad to see that she has a powerful new dragon to not only complement her main objective (indirect character development FTW), but to get her to put up a bit more of a fight in the next episodes when this World Tournament...Young Tournament...Whateverthehellitscalled Tournament goes underway.

So really, I don't see what the fuss is all about and I don't really care about it. This is my approach towards the news that Dragonite was caught.

Ranma ½, Maison Ikkoku and now TORADORA! fan.

3DS FC: 2938-6903-6577

I'm on the Dragonite is a solid character idea. I think it would stand out even if all the other pokemon on our heroes team were allowed a fair time to shine and had personalities, so that's nice.

Iris and Dawn weren't glued together this episode, at least, which is another good thing. And Piplup's cousin at least had a reason to come out of its pokeball instead of randomly coming forth for blatant marketing reasons.

That was some intro battle at the beginning. :o Real power there; seemed suited for those legendary bouts in the movies.

I think Dragonite might have done a better job at being the traveling pokemon with the gang than what Meloetta has done. But Iris caught it (or rather it caught her), so it is what it is (and that's been picked apart already). :> I thought its expression at being caught was what alot of people feel: okay, this is stupid, but Dragonite gets to stay. Though I think you can nitpick the "reasoning" for the difference in Meloetta wanting to simply travel with the gang, while Dragonite wants to be caught.
    Last edited by wind; 26th July 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: took out a word. :> not much

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I wish the Meloetta and Rocket-Dan plots would hurry up and wrap up so those characters can stop eating up so much screentime in every episode. Yes, we get it, Meloetta can soothe pokemon with the sound of its voice, we don't need to be reminded of this every week.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    Yes, we get it, Meloetta can soothe pokemon with the sound of its voice, we don't need to be reminded of this every week.
    The lyrics of her song sum up my feelings about Meloetta's involvement in the story thus far pretty well.

'Meh, meh-meh meh. Meh, meh-meh meh. Meh meh-meh-meh, meh meh-meh, meh-meh meh."

Blog Entries

Didn't have much hope or expectations for this episode. I thought it would be bad and not only did it not disappoint in the badness department, it actually exceeded my expectations about how bad it was going to be.

First scene, oh look god mode Kairyu enters the scene. Wow, let it be known that it's super mega powerful and can cause shock waves with its attacks that ripple through an entire forest, something that we've never seen the Pokémon who have journeyed through the Isshu region with Satoshi and Dent do, cause this Kairyu is just much stronger and better than all of them. Then cut to Hikari, who's being vain and Iris who doesn't care about how she looks because she's above that. Power out, what's that Junsa, it's a Kairyu. Satoshi and Hikari, despite having dealt with rampaging Pokémon before while generally trying to understand and help the Pokémon here seem initially convinced Kairyu is to blame, but fear not, Iris is there to right their wrong because of her deep faith in Dragons and that she's never wrong. Satoshi and Hikari are in awe of Iris' Dragon Master knowledge and both immediately recognize how deeply wrong they are and how Iris is right, cause she's always right and never doubts herself. They go to the power plant Iris' huge mane gets through the shaft no problem, but Dento needs to be left behind, cause this episode gravitates solely around the black hole that is Iris. Junsa wants Satoshi to take a Pokéball, but he doesn't take it cause Iris has got everything under control because she's that great. Iris tries to help Kairyu while Satoshi and Hikari are just there to be in awe of Iris and look inept, cause they can't stand against Kairyu in combat despite both being very experienced and only Iris can calm the beast cause she's such a special snowflake. Junsa learns that Kairyu is hurt, well she starts going on a crusade for no reason than sadism towards hurt and not so defenseless Pokémon (because Kairyu is so strong that wounds can't stop him from kicking everyone's asses). Iris touches Kairyu and apparantly gets another unusual ability added to her already packed repertoire of skills only she possesses and sets her apart from all the weak and ordinary people. Junsar shows up with her posse. Kairyu beats them all to a standstill because it's ungodly powerful and then Iris delivers her pure radiant saint speech that quells everyone's hatred, all the while the others are out looking for the mcguffin that's going to clear Kairyu, who finally decides for no reason whatsoever to follow Iris, going against what we've seen of its personality just because he probably wants to bask in her greatness.

That about sums up the episode. It delivered on what it advertised. It was Iris glorification-hour at the Pokémon Animé. What I didn't like about the episode was that it twisted everyone into solely being there to make Iris look good with how inept and useless they were and be in awe of Iris, or be unnecessarily cruel and violent, so Iris in comparaison could look like a pure radiant saint in comparaison and fully capable and so much more perfect than everyone, to the point where it killed whatever tension this episode could have, whatever chance this had to actually lead somewhere and make Iris' character take an interesting turn. Hikari was back to being Hikari from early DP as if all her growth and development were out the window, Satoshi was holding the idiot ball and was Dent even in this episode? Oh yeah, probably the only funny moment came from his being stuck in the shaft. I think this episode could have gained a lot from having Iris actually being in the wrong, actually having doubts, because that's how she could have become relatable and compelling. And of course, had Kairyu just flown away, it would have been light years better than it was. Seeing a character being handed something they haven't earned is a major turn off for me.

Easily one of the worst episodes of the entire franchise as far as the storytelling goes. Meloetta and Team Rocket didn't help this.

Blog Entries

This is not one of the worst episode in the franchise.
    Last edited by Aestivate; 26th July 2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: editing out pp

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Anyways, I LOVED THIS EPISODE ‹3
    We had the little epic fight in the beginning with the Hydreigon's THREE MASSIVE HYPER BEAMS. That thing's a killer for sure. I hope that Dragonite meets it again and beats it.

I could really feel for and relate to the poor thing. Being mistreated and misunderstood for something you did unintentionally. I got the creeps for what they could have done to Dragonite after. It's a good thing that the gang came saving the day with all their faith in Dragonite. The group all contributed enough. Iris was as endearing as usual.

Piplup and Oshawott's lovey-dovey looks on their faces really did help lower the serious mood. Meoletta's singing is like a chill pill to me. It makes me feel so relaxed not giving a damn about anything.

I'm getting really excited for the coming TR plot with the water temple. Maybe next episode they'll be in it and do some researchin'. oh and THE BGM SOUNDED SO AWESOME <33333.
    Last edited by HumanDawn; 26th July 2012 at 08:13 PM.

I fail to see why Dento/Cilan being left behind was such a big deal. There have been plenty of eps focusing on the other two of the trio where Iris took a backseat. How dare those monsters in the form of writers don't have Cilan/Dento be at the center of every episode! THE GALL!

Also, Iris, actually, didn't do that much in this episode on her own. She figured out how Dragonite got hurt, and defended it when it was about to be slaughtered by a lynch gang. Ash, Dawn, Cilan/Dento would have done exactly the same in her position.
    Last edited by Hellwarden; 26th July 2012 at 07:55 PM.
    Bubble Frog and 투 애니원 like this.

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    I've lessened my faith in humanity from reading the absolute Garbador(you're right, Garbodor is better than that) that is Hellion's “review”.
    There are definitely more polite ways to let someone know you disagree with their opinion.
    @Dogasu; already brought it up but in case any of you needed a reminder of what these rules are, let's take a look at the first one, shall we?

1. Insulting users for their opinions (Flaming and Baiting and/or thread bans; Abuse and Harassment and/or a forum ban
    The Anime forum takes a strong stance against flaming those who you disagree with; disagree with someone by arguing in the context of the show and not about the user themselves.

Blog Entries

I really like this episode because it was an Iris episode and the dragonite was different from other dragonites before it

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Dragonite's hilarious rage faces aside, this was a pretty uninspiring episode. Meloetta and her posse of round, blue water types should really just butt out if all they're just going to do is chew up screentime, marketing be damned.
    Shinneth likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    Meloetta and her posse of round, blue water types should really just butt out if all they're just going to do is chew up screentime, marketing be damned.
    THIS. Seriously, writers, Meloetta not singing and Potchama and Mijumaru not acting like college fraternity students once an episode isn't gonna destroy little children's hearts.
    Shinneth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Iris touches Kairyu and apparantly gets another unusual ability added to her already packed repertoire of skills only she possesses and sets her apart from all the weak and ordinary people.
    Is it just me, or is this "unusual" ability of Iris's merely a cheap imitation of Ash's ability of sensing the aura? It was just randomly thrown in in the episode and didn't really serve a purpose. At least when Ash used his ability, he used it to save Riolu from Hunter J.
    Shinneth likes this.

Blog Entries

Again, iris has shown this ability before. It was hardly random.

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

I enjoyed this episode A LOT more than I thought I would.

I loved the beginning of the episode. Very rarely do we get a scene of two wild Pokemon interacting without any human character interaction to intervene. I wasn't horribly bothered that we didn't know the back story of why they were fighting. Perhaps they were old rivals? Besides, I don't think it would have been necessary to show why they were fighting in the first place, it was hardly relevant to the actual plot of the episode. We know that Kairyu was hurt by Sazandora, I don't think it needed any further elaboration.

I loved Kairyu's personality and expressions. The poor thing looked like it was really in pain, so of course it'd be acting out against those that were trying to help it, that's what most wild animals do. Meloetta singing...ehhhh. Yeah, okay, you made your point, Meloetta.

While I do agree to a point that this episode over gloried Iris, I don't think it made anyone else look stupid in the process. Junsar and the...people she hired (?) were doing their job- doing their best to get the wild Pokemon out of the electric plant. Iris seemed to be the only one that realized that it was injured, and (I'm assuming, I don't know much Japanese) was doing what she could to help from the position she was in. No one wants to see an already hurt Pokemon get hurt even worse. They had probably left all of their supplies back at the mansion, so maybe that's why they didn't have any berries or Potions to help it.

While I am still "eh" on the capture itself, the way it happened, I am not. Though Kairyu was reckless, it was injured at the time. Wild Pokemon probably aren't used to humans trying to help them. I think that its change of heart came from that it realized Iris was the only one out of everyone that was able to help it in its time of need. (Not that any of Satoshi & co wouldn't have been able to- Iris just so happened to be one stuck with it in that room.)

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode much more than I thought I would. I'm still annoyed by the convenience of what happened, but on it's own I thought this episode was endearing. I hope we see much more of Kairyu outside of battles, too.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 24th November 2012, 12:01 PM
  2. 26th July 2012, 05:30 AM