REVIEW: BW 089 "Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu!" - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: BW 089 "Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 089 "Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu!"

Wow, that hydreigon was such an a$$. Triple hyper beam?

Anyway, not a great episode in my book. Jenny borrows a magnemite to Ash. Iris got the grumpy dragonite (I can say I liked that dragonite, but, I just don't like Iris at all :P). Yeah, writers, now, enjoy the mood and give Ash a metagross, lucario, flygon and grumpig and I'll be fine with you. :B

Nothing very interesting beside the TR plot going on, anyway.
    Last edited by Duque; 26th July 2012 at 07:45 AM.
    Man, when you stop to think of it DP did have some crap in it. Its just that when people think about DP, they only remember Paul, Pokehunter J/Galactic and all the Gyms and Contests episodes....basically the good parts.
    And... there are actually a lot of BW episodes that have pissed me off. By this point it'd be easier to just list the ones that I can stand to watch. The more the series progresses, the more the writing of these episodes piss me off.

Blog Entries

I was also going "What is up with the Hydreigon?" It was only here to cause injury to the Dragonite. Why were they fighting? Just because? They are wild pokemon, I could understand that. Also scratch Ferrothorn off the list of pokes as well. So, Iris has the Vulcan mind meld now. I don't like where this is going, with it being able to endure so many attacks at once, even while weakened. It is a pseudo legend, but I don't think they've been portrayed as being that strong before. At least we know that it has it's limits. As much as I don't like the idea of giving a character something this powerful, I can't say that Iris did not earn it. I still question how she has skills like this, but Dragonite did respect her in the end. I would normally hope this would mean we truly get to see how difficult it is to harness the savage power of Dragon pokemon, but things don't seem to indicate that is the case, at least not yet.
    Step into the Fairy circle

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Normally, I'd be angered that Iris has caught a fully evolved Pokemon (Dragonite). However, I realised that in the past, Ash has obtained Primeape, Muk, and Noctowl, Misty has obtained Gyarados, and Dawn has obtained Togekiss, so what the hey.

Whats up with Buuburn being so small o.o

Boulder Trainer Mikuri's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator

I'd rather have seen Iris trying to figure out what made Dragonite go insane, trying to cure it of its injuries, or trying to defend it with one of her Pokémon when everyone was attacking it than seeing her touching it, releasing her mystical powers and discovering everything through a flashback. I mean, really? Iris can already be considered a Dragon Master; she can understand everything that goes on in the life of a Dragon type only touching it. For the first time ever, the goal of a main cast character was accomplished.

And I'm starting to get tired of Meloetta, I hope it does something productive in the climax of the Team Rocket plot, because seeing it sing in every episode to calm down a Pokémon was cool at first, but is no longer interesting.

Don
    Blog Entries

Follow Don on Tumblr

One of these days I believe Dent's going to suffer from some serious back problems. Or maybe he already does.

The best part of this episode for me was the beginning. Because I enjoy seeing Pokémon blasting at each other.

Iris getting Kairyu is cool and I love Kairyu's tough expressions. Aside from all that, the episode didn't excite me.
    Last edited by Don; 26th July 2012 at 09:28 AM.

I'll admit it's kind of cool/funny to see a Dragonite that doesn't always have that cheerful, derpy expression on his face. Yeah, people complain that Iris is being a God Mod again, getting a fully-evolved psuedo-legendary, and I don't exactly know how I can effectively counter those arguments, but it is what it is. She's training to be a Dragon Master, so of course she'd have connections with other Dragons. Just look at how she handled that Druddigon way back when.
    HumanDawn, Afrojisiac-19 and Aeon like this.

Y Rotation Team

Wow, Hydreigon has a fucking kickass voice....

Also, did Officer Jenny just hire a group of mercenaries to kill Dragonite with their pokes?

Da faq lady? YOU'RE TERRIBLE AT YOUR JOB!

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

The episode seemed a bit rushed to me. Either rushed, or I'm having a hard time believing that whole video camera thing.
    Regardless, I find this uber cute.

Btw, did anyone else notice the BW (games) opening music (Ghetsis intro) when TR appeared? Pretty cool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vlcsnap-2012-07-26-20h22m41s230.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    I thought of this, then I realized none of them were carrying their backpacks, and Iris usually relies on natural remedies, which aren't really available inside buildings.
    I'm sure Iris has a tree worth of berries in her hair. Regardless, they came and left more than enough times to try and organise something (that's certainly what I thought they were doing when they went out to the forest - not look for a surveillance camera) - just calling Nurse Joy even.

Even with nothing - hack away at the ice Dragonite made and use Ash's jacket or something. It's hard to portray Iris as caring about Dragonite more than anyone else while making no attempt to heal it whatsoever. They are trainers - I hate that they are shown as not being prepared for that sort of thing.
    Well, that's a really good point. I'm not sure the ice would help having a double weakness to it and all, but you're right, they are never prepared for these things. When has Ash been prepared for stuff like this? He always improvises or gets help from his travel companions. It does suck, now that you mention it.

However, I don't particularly mind in this episode, since there wasn't much time. Maybe if they had cut boring TR or something.

Quote Originally Posted by GallifreyanGallade View Post
    Normally, I'd be angered that Iris has caught a fully evolved Pokemon (Dragonite). However, I realised that in the past, Ash has obtained Primeape, Muk, and Noctowl, Misty has obtained Gyarados, and Dawn has obtained Togekiss, so what the hey.
    You're not comparing those Pokemon to a fully evolved dragon type are you? Because I think there is a big difference. Look at Gible, Ash took forever for it to master one attack and I know the writers aren't going to let him evolve it again until another two seasons later, so no. That doesn't work.

I don't think people care about fully evolved Pokemon, it's about a fully evolved dragon type that is almost close to a legendary if you were to do the math.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Am I the only one noticing the writers are purposely not showcasing any of Dawn's Pokemon other than Piplup and Mamoswine? Yet another episode where we only see Dawn use Piplup.

Makes you wonder what the point of giving her a Quilava is if we're not going to see it. Other than that it was a fun episode, but the two Unova debuts barely did anything.

Blog Entries

The Dragonite really reminded me of the one in this comic strip:

Iris' new toy notwithstanding, this episode was nothing to write home about. Why was Meloetta even there? The Dragonite calmed down for a second, then continued attacking anyway. Padding much, writers?

btw. was it's fourth move revealed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dragonite.jpg  
    White FC: 1678-3054-7710
    Black 2 FC: 3053 3827 7149

Black 2

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GallifreyanGallade View Post
    You're not comparing those Pokemon to a fully evolved dragon type are you? Because I think there is a big difference. Look at Gible, Ash took forever for it to master one attack and I know the writers aren't going to let him evolve it again until another two seasons later, so no. That doesn't work.

I don't think people care about fully evolved Pokemon, it's about a fully evolved dragon type that is almost close to a legendary if you were to do the math.
    Nope, the only reason why I would be angered at Iris catching Dragonite is because it's fully evolved. That's it. It doesn't matter at all to me that it's a pseudo-legendary as well, as my post said. I mean, Ash caught a pseudo-legendary as well (practically, as Gible eventually evolves into Garchomp). I also wouldn't mind if a character caught a legendary either.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 24th November 2012, 12:01 PM
  2. 26th July 2012, 05:30 AM