REVIEW: BW 089 "Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu!"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: BW 089 "Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu!"

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default BW 089 "Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu!"

Please read about the new, immediate rule changes regarding negative posts if you haven't already!!

Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu!

Animation - Team Kato
    Screenplay - Shinzō Fujita
    Storyboard - Ken'ichi Nishida
    Assistant director - Ken'ichi Nishida
    Animation director - Izumi Shimura

While Satoshi and his friends are making morning preparations at Shirona’s villa, the town is struck by a power outage. Junsa, who comes to visit, tells them that the Dragon Pokemon Kairyuu is the source of the outage, but Iris opposes this story and seeks an answer.
    Last edited by Musashi; 26th July 2012 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Fixed prefix.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 22nd, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Registered User LIL B THE BASEDGOD's Avatar

Default Re: BW 089 "Iris and the Roughneck Kairyu!"

Thunderpunch, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Unknown move...OMG BASEDGOD!!!!!!

Why Kairyu chose to go with Iris even puzzles Lil B - Lil B

Blog Entries

This Team Rocket plot seems to be interesting! At least regarding the BGM.
    Please "like" this page to help Portugal! We want to have Pokémon in HD! Please "like" this.

Also, sign this petition (you can sign by writing your Name and E-mail address on the "bolded" blanks and then clicking in "Assinar Petição")

Blog Entries

Although I am not fond at all of Kairyu as a Pokémon I liked this one. Its grumpiness in particular was fun to see. Maybe it can together with Iris be annoyed and grumpy all the time whenever Iris drifts into her PMS mood. Would be fun to me.

This episode had its flaws though. A random camera at a tree in the middle of nowhere? A terribly harsh Junsa who attacks a Pokémon which clearly is hurt without considering catching it ( and maybe releasing it later)? Dent can't fit into that air vent when he's thin as a bean-stalk already and not bulkier than Satoshi? Hikari being there without doing much? Of course another Pochama & Mijumaru screentime hogger? Iris' heart reading from nowhere? Yeah, headscratchers to me at least.

But I really liked the BGM during the TR scene. Wasn't that from the BW1 intro?

How...convenient.

That about sums up my thoughts while I watched the episode. Which is not to say it's a bad one, I enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Lol at Junsa-san allowing a bunch of kids to try to stop a rampaging dragon. Nothing new, though adults in this show can be quite weird sometimes.
    Last edited by Satoshi_Pikachu; 26th July 2012 at 05:38 AM.

Despite all my complaining about this whole Dragonite thing, I have to say I totally loved this Drago - its facial expressions just were so funny to me XD especially when Meloetta started singing and it looked at it like "wtf?!" XDDD and it had many other funny expressions during the ep
    Yeah... that's pretty much all I have to say... oh no, I'll also say Dawn should throw away her hat and hair clips, she was so beautiful without them early in the ep <3
    martianmister and Aura7541 like this.

Blog Entries

Good episode. I love Kairyu's personality and how it was annoyed with even Meloetta. XD A great example of how you don't need words to express emotions. Iris was really awesome, especially when she was defending it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeddiUrsa View Post
    Iris' heart reading from nowhere? Yeah, headscratchers to me at least.
    She's done that before with Kibago.

Moe
    Blog Entries

So the Dragonite is a time flower?

My biggest complaint with this episode - why did no one attempt to heal Dragonite's obvious wound? Pull out a Super Potion, feed/rub on some berries, a bag of ice, something to do something to actually help the Pokemon. Stop worrying about whether it is at fault or not and just do something to help it!

There was kinda a massive disconnect with the whole surveillance footage thing - they had to manually go look for a physical camera, yet the PokePad was able to both appear out of nowhere and have the footage on it? If you have whole of town survellance, how about the police look at that first in trying to determine what happened. And even then, so what if the Dragonite went on a rampage for a reason or not - just help the damn thing get over its injuries - what are the police going to do, fine Dragonite for the damage?

Meloetta calming things down is getting tiring - I hope Team Rocket succeed in stealing it if every episode from now on is going to engineer an angry Pokemon so it can calm something down. Can Ash just catch it already so it can be ignored like the rest of his reserves?

Speaking of Ash and not speaking of Dawn - they had idiotic Pokemon choices again just to further an already stretched plot point with Oshawott and Piplup. If a massive Dragonite is out of control, I'd send out the biggest Pokemon I had (string shot from Leavanny would have made a lot of sense) - not the cute mascot Pokemon.

Positives of course include Dragonite's personality and inherent humour - it's going to be hard to make me dislike Dragonite as a Pokemon, but where there's a will there's a way.

Did Iris' answer to Dawn shed any new detail on what it means to be a Dragon Master?
    Piplup and martianmister like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Iris' heart reading from nowhere? Yeah, headscratchers to me at least.
    She's done that before with Kibago.
    Maybe I've skipped too much of BW season 1 and missed this. ^^;
    I share Kairyu's annoyed reaction towards Meloetta. Was she really necessary in this episode? Kairyu's facial expression really made this episode for me.
    Piplup likes this.

Surgeon of Death 捷克羅姆's Avatar Bulbanews WriterBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow 捷克羅姆 On Twitter
    Follow 捷克羅姆 on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    My biggest complaint with this episode - why did no one attempt to heal Dragonite's obvious wound? Pull out a Super Potion, feed/rub on some berries, a bag of ice, something to do something to actually help the Pokemon. Stop worrying about whether it is at fault or not and just do something to help it!
    Maybe the potion, berries, and bag are unavailable? They're in a power plant. I doubt those things could be easily found there. Iris probably left her stuff too. At least she did try to help Dragonite, and they did get it to the Pokemon Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    So the Dragonite is a time flower?

I thought of this, then I realized none of them were carrying their backpacks, and Iris usually relies on natural remedies, which aren't really available inside buildings.
    djulienr likes this.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    I thought of this, then I realized none of them were carrying their backpacks, and Iris usually relies on natural remedies, which aren't really available inside buildings.
    I'm sure Iris has a tree worth of berries in her hair. Regardless, they came and left more than enough times to try and organise something (that's certainly what I thought they were doing when they went out to the forest - not look for a surveillance camera) - just calling Nurse Joy even.

Even with nothing - hack away at the ice Dragonite made and use Ash's jacket or something. It's hard to portray Iris as caring about Dragonite more than anyone else while making no attempt to heal it whatsoever. They are trainers - I hate that they are shown as not being prepared for that sort of thing.
    Piplup, Dogasu, Shinneth and 3 others like this.

Maybe I've skipped too much of BW season 1 and missed this. ^^;
    I don't think you missed anything, it simply wasn't the same, what happened in that ep... at least as far as I can remember it...
    We never saw before Iris touch a Pokémon and see visions of its flashbacks
    So it IS first time this thing happened... I wouldn't go into my opinions about it and just think about Drago's facial expressions to make me laugh instead of rage

I share Kairyu's annoyed reaction towards Meloetta. Was she really necessary in this episode? Kairyu's facial expression really made this episode for me.
    QFT

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

So, it took Iris 89 episodes to get a dragon-type Pokémon that wasn't Axew...and she caught a freaking DRAGONITE?!

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That wild Hydreigon sure is powerful for taking down a Dragonite that was able to stand up to numerous attacks from Piplup, Oshawott, and four other pokemon. I hope we get to see that Hydreigon again in the future.

On another note, what made that Dragonite decide to get caught by Iris? It looked like Dragonite was about to fly off on its own near the end until it was convinced to become Iris's pokemon at the last minute. It didn't feel like that Dragonite warmed up to Iris in this episode. All Iris did for Dragonite was defending it from getting attacked by other pokemon, which didn't make that much of a difference because it still got attacked anyway. Iris didn't even get to heal the damn thing.
    Phoenixphlare likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 24th November 2012, 12:01 PM
  2. 26th July 2012, 05:30 AM