REVIEW: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 91 to 104 of 104
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

  1. #91
    Registered User Chiplet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    952
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    OH. EM. GEE.

    Seriously, I can do nothing but to laugh. You're acting like this ''kodomo ne''-phrase is completely killing the characters and their friendship, you're exaggerating a whole lot. That phrase is nothing but a childish remark from a childish character, and it's only their for the purpose of humor, and I really can't see how that phrase is destroying their friendship.
    ''Kodomo ne'' is nothing but a childish remark from a character who already has childish traits, it's not based on anything of Ash's previous achievements or anything, it's just a way of teasing around with a friend.

    Iris is just as much as child as Ash is, and that's something that should be rather obvious to all of us viewers, making Iris' use of the phrase ironic, and clearly displaying that she's a kid too. I mean, we could clearly see in BW62 that Iris called Ash a kid for not knowing what the Chargestone Cave was, only for Ash to get a bit annoyed by it and then asked Iris if she really knew what it was. During that moment, Iris said something in the style with ''Me? Not a clue'', and the expression on her face clearly indicated to her not being bothered at all for not having knowledge about. If she'd find it to be disturbing and felt slightly ashamed for not knowing she had blushed or something, because she had just called the one who didn't know anything about it a kid, when she herself didn't know it either, but she didn't blush and neither did she seem to be bothered by it. So, in other words, it's just a way of teasing, as it really isn't a meaning in it, and just a way to tease the other and not really based on anything.
    Trust me on saying this, but Ash could become World Champion, being absolute strongest trainer in the whole wide world, and he would still hear Iris, a close friend of his, calling him a little kid.

    Let me just take out a quote from @Tsutarja, who made his own review on the episode in a blog post (which you totally should go an check out). He knows, just like I, that Iris' way of saying kodomo ne is just a way of teasing a friend. Seriously, have you guys never experienced that with your friends? Oh well, here we go.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsutarja;bt243395
    Also, this comment is directed to all the folks who believe Iris disrespects Ash. As we have seen in this episode, the term 'kodomo ne' was mostly used for teasing Ash. Despite the fact Dawn knew of Ash's great Sinnoh accomplishment, she still teased him and called him a kid. Teasing, yes, that's what friends do. So before you call out Iris on that, remember that Dawn, a girl who witnessed Ash taking down a Latios and a Darkrai, also called him a kid.

    So yeah, 'kodomo nee' is really nothing bad.

    Besides, seeing Iris and Dawn act like children themselves makes it that much funnier.
    I couldn't agree more, as what he's saying is the impression I've got to. I found Ash and Iris to be just as good friends as anyone, her teasing attitude doesn't really make their friendship having a lower value or anything. They're just as much as friends as Dawn and Ash are, whether you like it or not. I mean, I've got a whole bunch of amazingly close friends, who all have different personalities and goals in life, and we always are teasing each other with words that are way more worse than Iris' famous remark. We respect each other fully, and we know perfectly well where the limit is.

    Iris' ''kodomo ne'' really never seems to hurt Ash, does it? In fact, he's not reacting to it that much nowadays. Although sometimes he gets annoyed by it, he's still not liking Iris less for that. He is always supported her fully during her battles, like that one with Kenyan, where both both Kenyan and Ash were determined to meet each other in the final. Ash pretty much ignored all of that and rooted all the way for Iris instead, didn't he? Not to mention that he also protected Iris when Langley insulted her for using Scratch on Golett.
    He cares for her, and he trusts her fully, just like he does with all of his friends.

    As for Iris... did you guys see Ash's last gym battle? In that case, you should've seen how Iris rooted for him like crazy.

    Now, some were saying that they felt that Iris was... out of character, with her suddenly cheering Ash on instead of calling him a kid, she made them feel ''confused''. I don't really see how. Believe it or not, but Iris has always cared for Ash, and she has always been rooting for him in his battles, even though she hasn't been showing it. At the beginning of his badge quest she was indeed constantly calling him kodomo ne lots of time throughout their journey, but that was simply because of her not thinking that he actually would make it all the way. Like, when he received his first badge, she made it quite clear that it was nothing to proud about, since he still had a very long way to go, but as he was gaining more and more badges she slowly started to realize that he actually could talk the talk, and still walk the walk. She was starting to believe in his decisions and actions more, and stopped judging him for his ''stupid'' type choices in battles which gave him a huge disadvantage. And now, when he finally had reached the 8th and final gym, she realized how extremely close he actually was to reaching his goal, so the only thing she knew she had to do was to cheer him on all the way, to give him that extra boost to help him actually make it all the way through.
    That's taken from my review on the last couple of episodes of BW1, and if you watched that episode you would've seen how both Iris and Dento went all out, cheering Ash on in a way like none of his traveling companions have ever done before, y'know why? Simple. Because they truly cared for their friend. Teasing and joking around is typical behavior among close friends, and even though it may seem to be rather harsh to treat each other that way, they'll always support and help you whenever you're in a pinch, just like Iris did in that episode.

    I didn't think it was OOC at all for Dawn to join Iris in calling Ash a kid, as it really didn't mean anything, and as she only teased him. So, I must say that you Dawn fans are really exaggerating in this matter.

    I found the Iris/Dawn-antics to be absolutely hilarious. For like the first time ever I actually appreciated Dawn being in the show. I never really liked her role in DP, and I've always considered her to be the worst female companion yet, but seeing her together with Iris I must admit that she become absolutely hilarious. The fact that they are completely opposites is making it more fun, as I'd much prefer seeing two characters that are complete opposites of each other to interact rather than seeing two ''soul mates'' do. Dawn was great in this episode, and so was Iris. I'd definitely ship them any day. As the matter of fact, I'd love it if the two of them formed their own traveling group.

    Definitely the best girl-bonding yet.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

  2. #92
    Registered User ivantuga2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Side By Side View Post
    [I don’t feel that Ash isn’t at all friends with the people I mentioned. I would suggest they are more so merely acquaintances of Ash. I somewhat misspoke as such, what I’m trying to say is that they aren’t as good friends as the bonds he holds with Brock & Misty.
    I don't think Hikari and others were a mere "acquaintance" with Satoshi. About the only thing that makes them feel "less attached" to him than Takeshi and Kasumi is that these two were the first to interact with Satoshi on a regular basis and the others followed later. Just to highlight some of the moments between Hikari and Satoshi in DP, off the top of my head:
    - In DP046, while in the maze, she was concerned looking for Satoshi (and Takeshi), when she wanted to get herself a new application for her Pokétch as soon as possible.
    - In DP133, she made a whole performance with her Pokémon just to cheer up Satoshi after he lost crushingly to Shinji.
    - She wore a cheerleader outfit in 3 of Satoshi's Gym matches (1st, 3rd and 8th) when noone asked her to.
    - After the Grand Festival, she sticked with Satoshi for the League to support him there, even though she didn't have much more to do.
    - Their constant high fives.

    I'm sure there are a few more. This isn't meant to support PearlShipping, merely to disprove the notion that Hikari "isn't good friends with Satoshi". I would even argue that considering how Hikari isn't supposed to be so emotionally attached to Satoshi compared to Kasumi and Takeshi, who started following him around at the beginning of his journey, it's all the more surprising how well Satoshi and Hikari bounced off each other in DP, which in turn makes me think that they were better friends than those first two. But then, maybe it's just me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Side By Side
    Iris & Dawn’s teasing of Ash seems forced, it seems like it is only there for the sake of being there, the writers felt the need to change Dawn when she came back I think. Getting back on topic I feel they want Dawn to seem tougher, leaner & somewhat meaner. I’ve looked at peoples comments, I think maybe quite a few people believe somewhat that Dawn has no backbone. What the writers have done in having her agree with Iris & be cruel to Ash is possibly hope to change this view.

    This behavior is fine, it is realistic people will make callous comments to one another sometimes; the issue I take with it is that it doesn’t seem realistic; I’m echoing your point. It is silly for Dawn to come back to see Ash so changed to how she was.

    Ultimately it is what leads me to my misjudgement in my last post.
    See, I disagree here a bit with your reasoning. Hikari was already shown to be stronger in her first full episode in BW, when she successfully countered Dent's attacks. The reason she's "best buds" with Iris is solely because that's how the writers have chosen the main girls to interact with when they meet each other. I also feel it's forced, but not because the writers wanted to make Hikari "seem tougher, leaner & somewhat meaner". She was already shown like that sometimes in DP, just that this time she had to follow this dreadful pattern, which I frankly don't like (even though I already like Iris/Hikari's interactions more than Kasumi/Haruka and Haruka/Hikari's). This isn't because Hikari respects Satoshi less than Kasumi and Takeshi, but because of the way the main girls' interactions have been established, which ultimately is the core reason I'm so ticked off at this.

  3. #93
    mientes Aestivate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,054
    Blog Entries
    1

    Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    Hi, just as a reminder, people can have differing opinions as to how they feel about character interactions. Acting condescending in the face of someone else's opinion, however, is not only rude and unnecessary but disallowed. Laughing at people because they have a different opinion than you is simply petty, no ways about it.

  4. #94
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    I actually liked this episode. I think the interactions where just really entertaining and comedic. Just like with Bel in Season 1, Hikari's presence just adds a lot to the chemistry and makes up for the weaknesses it can have when it's just Dent, Satoshi and Iris. I also liked the double kodomo ne in this episode, because for once, it actually worked. One of the things that doesn't work with it in all the other episodes is pretty much the fact that there was no reaction whatsoever from the others and Iris felt like she was just complaining to herself rather than teasing Satoshi as a friend. Here, it really worked, because Satoshi reacted when Hikari said it, like... it seemed to puzzle him why she would do it and it was all fun as you never once felt that Hikari didn't care about Satoshi. The Iris/Hikari dynamic was fun and not totally bff like, but still friendly, really established both as individual characters. The same goes for the Pochama/Mijumaru scenes. Pochama has teeth. XD

    The whole Iwark plot was really just a pretext for interactions and comedy between the main characters, and while it definitely was the low point of the episode, meh, didn't really care, it was still enjoyable.
    martianmister, Yoshi-san and Owain like this.

  5. #95
    SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,331
    Blog Entries
    114

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    Loved this episode. Iris and Hikari were brilliant together. I like the less serious side we're finally seeing in Hikari, the fact that she actually wanted to ditch training and have some fun, and pulled her head out of Satoshi's backside has completely turned her character into a much more comical, cute and interesting one. Still deeply annoyed by Pochama's presence, but he's not hogging too much screen time, and when he does, it's featuring Mijumaru. The whole Onix thing was a bore but It made for a convenient excuse for Iris and Hikari to get separated from the group. They seem to be bonding and becoming kind of a double act. I hope it continues. The vine swinging was amusing and it's nice that Iris is having an impression on Hikari and that she seems to look up to her, instead of down on her. The best thing about this whole episode was the Takeshi mention. It's nice that Hikari brought it up, because we all know by now that Ash was never gonna.

    Positives: Funny Iris and Hikari moments (how long before those two become a popular ship?)
    Mijumaru learning a new move!
    Takeshi gets a mention
    Nice to see some previous gen, Pokemon
    Satoshi didn't dex any of the Pokemon he's seen before, like he usually does
    Double kodomo ne
    Melotta and that ridiculous song

    Negatives: TR being as pointless and annoying as ever

  6. #96
    My Sword Hand Twitches! Owain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    3,024
    Blog Entries
    67

    Follow Owain on Tumblr

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    I loved this episode, their training at the beginning, Ash manually using his Déx to show Iris a pokémon she doesn't know, Dawn in general, has done wonders for the trio's dynamics, they weren't bad before, but they got better with her around, especially her and Iris, Meloetta picking up Axew was the cutest scene I saw in this animé, Oshawott and Piplup being chased away by the Krabby was pretty interesting, seeing old pokémon back in the new style is very nice too.

    Surfing Pikachu! But the yes count exploded when Brock was mentioned hehe. Double.Kodomo.Ne, my body was not ready, also, Dawn basically going, ''Whatever, let's run away'' was actually funny, Ash commanding Piplup really shows his affinity with Dawn's mons, but, forgetting that, MAGICAL GIRL TRANSFORMATION! Lol, Meloetta sings Relic Song and then goes apeshit on the Onix, that was worth seeing.

    Dawn and Iris's interaction made this episode, they should get their own spin-off, also, Pikachu testing things with his tail, been a while since we saw that, Kamehameha-style Hydro Pump? AWESOME! And them looking at eachother, undoubtely saying ''Not bad'', was a very good scene too, YAY Shiny Onix! Pretty cool end for a cool episode :D
    martianmister likes this.

  7. #97
    Registered User TemariChann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    I really loved this episode too! And hearing Hikari and Iris tease Satoshi, I thought that was really funny XD;;

    And hearing Dawn's old catchphrase when they got lost together really made me think of DP. She always said, "No need to worry!" I love DP so much, and I really hope Dawn puts on a full contest performance sometime C:

  8. #98
    Registered User Hellwarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    767

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    Any news how this episode did, ratings wise?

    Nevermind, got a 6.0.
    Last edited by Hellwarden; 11th July 2012 at 10:43 AM.

  9. #99
    . Ishida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Nah
    Posts
    891
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    That scene with Axew playing in the water after Piplup and Oshawott got pushed away by the waves was probably one of the cutest scenes I've seen in the anime for a while :p

  10. #100
    C-3
    C-3 is offline
    Registered User C-3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    102

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    Can anyone tell me what Team Rocket said at the end of the episode

  11. #101
    Christmas Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Unova
    Posts
    4,508
    Blog Entries
    185

    Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    It was an good/decent episode I guess, nothing to jump for joy over but it got the job done.

    -Hikari and Iris interactions were the key thing this episode. I mean come on, DUAL KODOMO NE! The chemistry between these two was so nice and endearing. I already like Kodomo Ne since it's pretty coy so seeing Hikari join in on this too and Satoshi's reactions were great. Iris getting zapped, Hikari getting Stun Spore'd, Iris' acrobatic jungle skills, Hikari falling into the bush, them both running away from the Iwark were all nice moments for the two girls.

    -Meleotta's singing and Step Forme-In Fight attack made me like Meleotta a bit. Not to mention the two Water-type mascots' fawning over her. Mijumaru's use of Hydro Pump was cool and I'm glad he learned a new strong move since he's a strong fighter but, Gamagaru and Pochama both already know that move. I wouldn't have minded Water Oath if they wanted a Water-type move. I also like how they both went superhero to save Meleotta when she was in distress. Standing side by side like that, and both knocking themselves near unconsciousness from their physical head attacks. This episode also established Meleotta's singing apparently isn't the answer to all distraught Pokemon.

    -Iwark is still boring to me.

    -Iris training on-screen. Yeah, I already knew Iris trained off-screen from her comments in past episodes. Though it's nice to see it on-screen.

  12. #102
    Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,271
    Blog Entries
    89
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-san View Post
    And what? No Sailor Moon Jokes in response of Meloetta's Relic Song? SHAME ON THIS THREAD! >:O

    Anyway this was a fun episode
    Yes, yes it was. So much fun stuff. XD Sailor Meloetta was the first thing I thought of when I saw that transformation scene. Or henshin for you Japanese-philes. It had to be some sort of nod to Sailor Moon or other series like it.

    Funny how people got all upset over the "kodomoe ne" stuff that was clearly Played For Laughs.

    I also liked how Dawn's Magic Skirt was no match for the breeze the boat created, so she actually had to hold it down this time.
    Last edited by Geodude; 6th August 2012 at 01:24 PM.
    martianmister and Yoshi-san like this.

    XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude

  13. #103
    Registered User Grabbergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    122
    Blog Entries
    1

    Visit Grabbergirl's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Grave-E View Post
    "It's Adventure Time!"

    Oh geeze, they finally had him say it.
    I did too!!! I'd be pretty upset if it didn't make it to the dub! I hope it makes it to the dub.

  14. #104
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    111
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    Ugh, Hikari let Iris infect her with the kodomo ne thing >_>''
    Good to see the writers didn't forget about Takeshi. I gotta say Dent is leagues ahead of him as far as cooking and battling goes.

    At the end of this episode there was a Rocket Dan Live Caster.
    They were VERY in-character in the live caster, even if it has no relevance to the plot itself and was just a contest thing for free B/W 2 game cards. It only makes me question more WTH are the writers thinking. =/ I wish they'd act that way IN the episodes...
    martianmister likes this.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

LinkBacks (?)


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •