REVIEW: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 104
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

  1. #76
    Load of Belloni
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,299
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    "It's Adventure Time!"

    Oh geeze, they finally had him say it.
    Karamazov, Aeon and martianmister like this.

  2. #77
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    I liked this episode, although I would have liked it more if the main Pokemon wasn't Onix for the 10,000th time.

    Even just seeing rampaging Rhydon or Nidoking would have been better.

  3. #78
    Crimson Fighter Phoenixphlare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,092
    Blog Entries
    196

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    Something erks me about this episode. And that something is the way the show portrayed battles with wild pokemon. I mean why so afraid of them Onix are pretty frakin weak and there first instinct is running the it felt like the group was holding a lot back considering it only 2 pokemon fought and there was FOUR trainers. What really bothers me is how much of a stark contrast it is to the games where you go in caves wreck wild pokes shit just for the exp.\

    YES I understand it has been like this for a long time YES I get that the anime =/= the games. But when you make an adaptation you make choices in what elements are the same and what elements are tweaked so while I like the fact that in show Pokemon league is a tournament not a gauntlet, a that pokedex have info at any time, they are no held items and that there are more than 8 gyms because they make sense to me, I don't the way the heroes act toward wild pokemon because it doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't make sense that the group have avoidance of hostile wild pokemon rather the seeking them out because they battlers by sport and trainers are expected to battle pokemon all the time to catch them and they are everywhere and the way the group treats it as a threat rather then everyday occurrence only FURTHER questions the legitimacy of them being aloud to travel on their on-Okay you get the idea. The point is it pains me to see this again and it was pretty much the entire episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

  4. #79
    Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Nuvema Town, Unova
    Posts
    3,067
    Blog Entries
    9
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    The Takeshi mention and Hikari and Iris broing around were definite highlights of this episode for me. But overall I thought it was a really fun and enjoyable episode to watch. Especially the part where all the Pokemon were playing on the beach, that was really cute.

    I really hope Hikari and Iris saying "kodomo ne~" together doesn't become a new thing. I thought it was pretty funny when they both said it as they were walking in to the cave, (and Satoshi's expression) but anymore than that and I think it's going to be overkill.

    I didn't really mind Iwark being the main Pokemon again, even if it did kind of remind of that Kanto episode with Siba in it a bit. Was probably more for the younger audience that just started watching the show during BW that might not know what an Iwark is. The whole episode had a nostalgic taste~
    martianmister likes this.


  5. #80
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    I hope Onix never appears in another episode again. But knowing the writers we'll see it again within the next 15 episodes.

  6. #81
    Uchuuuuu KITAAAA!!! Duque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    1,054
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    God, when the day comes to Ash have a good reason to call Iris "kodomo ne", I'll feel like a divine justice is being done (it won't happen, though).
    Man, when you stop to think of it DP did have some crap in it. Its just that when people think about DP, they only remember Paul, Pokehunter J/Galactic and all the Gyms and Contests episodes....basically the good parts.
    And... there are actually a lot of BW episodes that have pissed me off. By this point it'd be easier to just list the ones that I can stand to watch. The more the series progresses, the more the writing of these episodes piss me off.

  7. #82
    Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bouffalant Farm, England
    Posts
    2,669
    Blog Entries
    36
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    If this is an indication of what's to come from Dawn during her return, the next plane to Hoenn can't arrive soon enough. I hadn't been looking particularly forward to this episode, but whilst I was kinda expecting Iris to drag Dawn down, I didn't think Dawn would pull Iris and herself down even further. I hate how Iris is suddenly BFFs Forever with someone she barely knows, and their combined callousness towards Ash left me feeling completely cold; I thought friendship was supposed to be a strong theme in this show?

    Add in the boring and overused threat of Onix, and more pointless glorification of Iris' nothing-to-do-with-Pokemon athletic prowess, this has to be one of my least favourite episodes ever. The highlights were definitely the Brock mention, (Did not see that coming!) Oshawott and Piplup's clashing (I can see it getting old quickly, though) and surfing Pikachu, but why didn't he use his new move against the Onix?
    Phoenixphlare likes this.

    Who is this git?

  8. #83
    Caliban's Dream Side By Side's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    58

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    Am I the only person who thinks the friendship between Dawn & Iris seems forced… hear me out here please. It seems the writers feel it is vital to have Dawn & Iris as friends, I assume this is to boost Iris’s popularity within the global Pokémon fan base.

    I would also imagine it is seen as racial equality being held high is important in Japan more than ever now, ouch yes he brought it up didn’t he? How could he, firstly I must state I love everyone regardless of what colour their skin is…

    But can you see my point? I think they are trying to teach children a lesson in having Dawn friends with Iris. There is nothing people can be united over more than gender & ageist discrimination is there? Which seems like what this line was, I honestly find it hilarious how people are making allot of it.

    As I see it in the anime the truth is that Iris & Dawn are not really friends of Ash, only truly Brock & Misty are his friends, Max, May, Tracey, Iris, Cilan & Dawn don’t care about him & just rather so hang around with him for personal gains.

    This makes off hand comments not surprising. I'd love the plot twist to occur of Ash ditching Iris & Cilan in the future in favour of travelling alone, now that would be something to watch. But then again I think we all dream in solo Ash adventures.

    I look forward to hearing *you* the reader try to take apart what I have just written, thanks for your time & attention.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garulu View Post
    And I don't get why people are so upset about Iris' Kodomo ne.
    It is not like she is lying when she calls Satoshi a kid.

    If BW!Satoshi was half DP!Satoshi was, it would make no sense to call him a kid... but...
    No one is upset we are merely discussing it, shock horror talking about Pokémon on a Pokémon forum! Better call the admins! :-O

    I do find Dawn’s words interesting I’ll admit this; if it wasn’t for Ash she would be dead now. When she fell in The Rise of Darkrai Ash caught her, so the person who stopped you from dying is a kid?

    Yes you aren't smart Dawn. What I would love to happen now is for Ash to have a moment where he has the chance to save both Iris & Dawn & decides not to, letting them die ha-ha talk about upping the age rating to 18 plus in seconds eh? :P ;)
    Last edited by Side By Side; 8th July 2012 at 12:18 AM.
    Duque likes this.

  9. #84
    (-, - )…zzzZZZ Reila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,370
    Blog Entries
    59

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    I don't get why people are complaining about Iris and Hikari interactions.
    It was pretty fun to watch and even with the overused Iwark, it was one of the best "Best Wishes" episodes.

    The interactions between the quartet makes me wishes that Hikari stayed as a third traveling companion to Satoshi.
    It would be very nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duque View Post
    God, when the day comes to Ash have a good reason to call Iris "kodomo ne", I'll feel like a divine justice is being done (it won't happen, though).
    And I don't get why people are so upset about Iris' Kodomo ne.
    It is not like she is lying when she calls Satoshi a kid.

    If BW!Satoshi was half DP!Satoshi was, it would make no sense to call him a kid... but...

  10. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1

    Follow Amichann on Tumblr

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    I actually really liked this episode! I love the friendship between Dawn and Iris. You have to admit, it's nice to have the only girl in the group finally have someone they can talk to and relate to. I do also think that they just added this episode in just like a filler. Since the movie is coming out in Japan next week, they probably wrote this episode so they wouldn't have to stop in the middle of the Junior Cup.

    I was looking through the comments and I saw people talking about the moves. The subs were wrong for Mijumaru learning Hydro Pump. It said Hydro Cannon, but I know that's wrong. And for Pochama, that move was a form of Bubble Beam. If Pochama learned a new move, you'd think that Dawn would be happy and say something like, "Oh you learned this move! Blah blah blah..."
    I also really love the whole love rivalry between Pochama and Mijumaru. I think it's really, really cute!

  11. #86
    Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,802
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    Oh, jeez, don't tell me Dawn has officially become Iris Version 2.0... But I won't lie; I though that was at least a little entertaining. It was nice to see a reaction from Ash this time (I think that's happened only one other time early in BW), and seeing Dawn and Iris both messing up on trying to find their way around.

    I think I would've preferred to see something other than a rampaging group of Onix, but... eh, whatever. It just feels nice to see previous generation Pokemon again.

    Overall, I did quite enjoy this episode, despite Dawn deciding to use Iris' catchphrase, for reasons already stated.
    Last edited by Trainer Gabriel; 8th July 2012 at 03:05 PM.
    ivantuga2 likes this.

  12. #87
    Registered User ivantuga2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    I'll be honest, I kind of died a little in the inside when I heard Hikari picking up Iris' catchphrase in agreement, and against Satoshi, no less. It was already grating when Iris alone was calling Satoshi "kodomo ne", but at least I thought this was just her trademark hypocritical remark. But when I watched the episode live and heard Hikari agreeing enthusiastically that he's "such a kid", and twice... I felt she disrespected him and told it more because of the unwritten rule that main girls have to be best buds with each other, even if it means going as down as to call a far more experienced boy "a kid". I just felt this wasn't the same Hikari that Satoshi had a great friendship with in DP, and who had arguably the best Satoshi/<insert main girl here> relationship of the whole show.

    YES, I know that Hikari likes to annoy Satoshi sometimes, but this time I honestly felt it was over the top. I don't want Hikari to keep calling Satoshi that name because she met a girl who just happens to be a BIG hypocrite (which she likely doesn't know). What's worse is that Satoshi and Hikari barely interacted with each other in the episode, making this name calling feel more serious than it was "supposed to be".

    I do admit, I liked some of the interactions Iris and Hikari had (even with the forced BFF stuff), like both wanting to go on opposite directions when they faced a cave, and how

    Quote Originally Posted by DynoStretch View Post
    In a fitting moment of irony a few minutes later, Iris grabbed that Magnemite and got zapped, while Dawn grabbed that Foongus and got gassed. What a couple of kids!
    ... which, together, was better than the Kasumi/Haruka and Haruka/Hikari relationships, where I don't remember a SINGLE moment of amusing moments and/or conflict.

    I'll just pretend this moment never happened and hope this won't repeat, at least not with Satoshi! I also have hope knowing how cute the meeting scene between Hikari and Satoshi was in the previous episode, and acknowledging the fact that the plot of this episode revolved around the group being separated into multiple sub-groups, which was the main reason Hikari and Iris bonded with each other, in detriment of Satoshi, who actually interacted far more with Dent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garulu View Post
    And I don't get why people are so upset about Iris' Kodomo ne.
    It is not like she is lying when she calls Satoshi a kid.

    If BW!Satoshi was half DP!Satoshi was, it would make no sense to call him a kid... but...
    If Satoshi is a kid (which as an age he IS) with all the achievements and experience he has had over the years, then at least SOMEONE should let Iris know that she's a toddler in comparison.

    Quote Originally Posted by Side By Side View Post
    I look forward to hearing *you* the reader try to take apart what I have just written, thanks for your time & attention.
    Simple. Just watch the DP series and see the developing friendship between Satoshi and Hikari, the multiple times they practiced together, how she often screamed for him when in danger or when trying to find Satoshi, etc. It simply was in a different way than say, Kasumi, who even started in a hostile way, but eventually respected him more and more, until they truly became friends. Also, the reason for Hikari and Iris telling that Satoshi is a kid is more

    Quote Originally Posted by ivantuga2 View Post
    because of the unwritten rule that main girls have to be best buds with each other, even if it means going as down as to call a far more experienced boy "a kid".
    If you watch Kasumi's interactions with Satoshi in the AG series, you wouldn't say that her teasing him some times was a sign of not liking him, would you? It's the same with Hikari when she teased him. Just that this time it left me cold for reasons that have nothing to do with the character itself.

    I also disagree with you about Masato, Haruka, Kenji, and Dent not being his friends (I could explain why, but this isn't really the thread for that). The one person out of those you listed who I really think doesn't respect Satoshi much is Iris.
    Last edited by ivantuga2; 8th July 2012 at 09:24 AM.
    martianmister likes this.

  13. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    241
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    Don't be to shooked about Ash being called a kid in BW because he acted like this in the first few seasons. In Johto I say he grew as a person. In Hoenn and Sinnoh he seem to be a better trainer

  14. #89
    Caliban's Dream Side By Side's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    58

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    ivantuga2 You have raised some great points; ok I don’t feel that Ash isn’t at all friends with the people I mentioned. I would suggest they are more so merely acquaintances of Ash. I somewhat misspoke as such, what I’m trying to say is that they aren’t as good friends as the bonds he holds with Brock & Misty.

    I do remember Dawn’s interactions with both Ash & Brock in Sinnoh, I also treasure them, I believe they made interesting anime; the same has been true for pretty much everyone I have listed at times. What this is all about is appeasing the audience I believe, some people like to see Ash abused somewhat, this is what frustrates me, not Ash being abused but, I’ll elaborate…

    Iris & Dawn’s teasing of Ash seems forced, it seems like it is only there for the sake of being there, the writers felt the need to change Dawn when she came back I think. Getting back on topic I feel they want Dawn to seem tougher, leaner & somewhat meaner. I’ve looked at peoples comments, I think maybe quite a few people believe somewhat that Dawn has no backbone. What the writers have done in having her agree with Iris & be cruel to Ash is possibly hope to change this view.

    This behaviour is fine, it is realistic people will make callous comments to one another sometimes; the issue I take with it is that it doesn’t seem realistic; I’m echoing your point. It is silly for Dawn to come back to see Ash so changed to how she was.

    Ultimately it is what leads me to my misjudgement in my last post.

    Edit to reply: I’ve read your reply to me ivantuga2 & I must say I’m presently surprised at the levels of intelligence, your postings show.

    It has been a pleasure talking to you about this, which isn’t something I can say, has occurred many times before on Pokémon forums in my time using them. You make great points & have changed my view somewhat with them, so well done. I guess Dawn is a true friend of Ash, I still personally believe she isn’t quite as strong a friend as Ash is with the original trio, merely because she isn’t part of the original group of friends.

    That is just a frustrating crux I'm trapped in as a fan of Pokémon since its origin I guess.

    Thank you ivantuga2 for rewarding my faith in Bulbagarden.net you talked to me properly, sharing your opinion with me & accepting mine... not needing to go into anything else, keep it up dude you are doing great. :) The reason I come here is to read what you guys think I love hearing them all so keep it up all of you please.

    More!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    You guys are making way too big a deal of Dawn teasing Ash. It was meant for humor and nothing more. Seriously Dawn still knows Ash is a good trainer.

    Also lol @ saying only Misty/Brock are Ash's real friends. Take off the nostalgia glasses.
    Ha-ha that is ironic coming from you Scott, as usual you make me smile with your musings keep it up my lad.

    Needless to say I think we have a good thread going here. ^_^
    Last edited by Side By Side; 9th July 2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: To add a reply to ivantuga2 without the need for another post.

  15. #90
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

    You guys are making way too big a deal of Dawn teasing Ash. It was meant for humor and nothing more. Seriously Dawn still knows Ash is a good trainer.

    Also lol @ saying only Misty/Brock are Ash's real friends. Take off the nostalgia glasses.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •