REVIEW: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Well Piplup didn't use Ice Beam or (Drill) Peck at all in the episode, so apart from being terrible writing it could mean it has lost one of those moves. I don't understand how Headbutt would be part of a contest scenario, and if what happened when it headbutted Onix is any guide, it just doesn't have the strength to use a really physical move like that (hence me thinking it didn't look like a move at all).
    I really doubt it lost Ice Beam or Drill Peck... we'll probably see them used in later eps and that would make the fact Pikachu forgot Volt Tackle very ridiculous...
    I'm still shocked they seriously bothered to break the 4 moves rule just to give Pip HEADBUTT - like... seriously?... HEADBUTT?!?!?!....... they really shouldn't have done it and leave it with just BubbleBeam, Ice Beam, Hydro Pump and Drill Peck

Blog Entries

I was afraid this would happen, Iris and Dawn both calling Ash a kid. I was hoping that Dawn wouldn't be onboard with that sort of thing, as i recall that she had teensy bit more respect for Ash (as she had less experience then he did, a lot less). Now as i wait for the next episode, that part of the episode will haunt my mind.

You'd think the writers would give Ash more credit, considering he's battle Onyx and its evolved form before and won. Why do they insist on giving people a reason to mock him, by this point, he deserves better.
    Shinneth likes this.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Brock getting a reference in this manner reminds me of how Misty was brought up via the lure in DP, or Max's cameo in the Wallace Cup, but neither actually came back with a speaking role.

If Brock does appear it probably won't be till much later on and he'll probably only get like 2 episodes as a doctor or something. But him only being shown in a flashback probably doesn't bode well:

- Usually when characters are set to come back they're not mentioned at all. Dawn wasn't mentioned in BW1 at all, and May wasn't mentioned at all in early DP until she showed up. Meanwhile characters who ARE brought up, (Misty, Max and now Brock), tend not to return. I don't know why the writers do this but that's the way they work. I now believe if Cynthia mentions Paul we won't see him ever again either.

Quote Originally Posted by Srebak View Post
    I was afraid this would happen, Iris and Dawn both calling Ash a kid. I was hoping that Dawn wouldn't be onboard with that sort of thing, as i recall that she had teensy bit more respect for Ash (as she had less experience then he did, a lot less). Now as i wait for the next episode, that part of the episode will haunt my mind.

You'd think the writers would give Ash more credit, considering he's battle Onyx and its evolved form before and won. Why do they insist on giving people a reason to mock him, by this point, he deserves better.
    You're exaggerating... Iris can laugh at Ash being childish in personality regardless of his achievements... and Dawn is clearly teasing him in a friendly way, it comes differently when Dawn says that to him than when Iris do... Dawn does like to mess around with him for fun (see how she wakes him up with Pika in the final DP ep or the way she met him now in Unova when she "surprised" him)
    So Dawn is just joking around and isn't as serious as Iris is when she's doing the "kodomo ne" thing, she just joined her for fun XD
    And even Iris, as I said, can call him so if she feels he acts childish, his achievements have nothing to do with this

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Brock getting a reference in this manner reminds me of how Misty was brought up via the lure in DP, or Max's cameo in the Wallace Cup, but neither actually came back with a speaking role.

If Brock does appear it probably won't be till much later on and he'll probably only get like 2 episodes as a doctor or something. But him only being shown in a flashback probably doesn't bode well:

- Usually when characters are set to come back they're not mentioned at all. Dawn wasn't mentioned in BW1 at all, and May wasn't mentioned at all in early DP until she showed up. Meanwhile characters who ARE brought up, (Misty, Max and now Brock), tend not to return. I don't know why the writers do this but that's the way they work. I now believe if Cynthia mentions Paul we won't see him ever again either.
    That still means nothing and they can appear anyway
    Also, I think Dawn is now more likely to mention Paul and/or Barry when she'll meet Trip and/or Bianca (assuming they'll be in the tournament)
    martianmister likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post

You're exaggerating... Iris can laugh at Ash being childish in personality regardless of his achievements... and Dawn is clearly teasing him in a friendly way, it comes differently when Dawn says that to him than when Iris do... Dawn does like to mess around with him for fun (see how she wakes him up with Pika in the final DP ep or the way she met him now in Unova when she "surprised" him)
    So Dawn is just joking around and isn't as serious as Iris is when she's doing the "kodomo ne" thing, she just joined her for fun XD
    And even Iris, as I said, can call him so if she feels he acts childish, his achievements have nothing to do with this
    And that's another thing, in what way are Iris and Dawn less childish than Ash? The way they treat that comment, you'd think Iris was much more mature than Ash, but she's not

Remember the first time Satoshi's Hikozaru faced Shinji's Ringuma and there was some belief that Ringuma used Headbutt but it was decided it didn't... yeah, I think the same goes here. I really doubt Pochama used the move. (in fact, it looked like he was trying to copy Mijumaru's Aqua Jet).

Speaking of moves, Mijumaru got Hydro Pump... sorry, but that's another f**king awful move choice from the writers of Best Wishes. Seriously guys, you decide to give the otter a new move and instead of giving him something interesting you instead lump him with another (almost identical) water move? I mean, Mijumaru was competing with Pochama so why couldn't he have learned Ice Beam too (or better yet, some different to really make him stand out like Hidden Power). Hell, I would have taken Water Pulse over Hydro Pump (funnily enough, Filb.de's screencaps make it look like that's what he used) instead of a move that's already known by another of Satoshi's Pokemon. I though Kenhallow learning Aerial Ace was bad enough...

What's next... Tsutarja learning Leaf Tornado? Waruvile learning Sandstorm? Pikachu learning Discharge?
    Bubble Frog likes this.

And that's another thing, in what way are Iris and Dawn less childish than Ash? The way they treat that comment, you'd think Iris was much more mature than Ash, but she's not
    Actually, I think part of the joke is that Iris calls Ash a child when she's obviously just as much of a child as he is. Both are obviously pretty childish. Like that time she was telling Ash that he was too much of a kid to appreciate Cilan's spicy food, but she was obviously suffering too. And how about her ridiculous fear of ice types? And really, Dawn looked like she was doing it just to annoy Ash. She respects Ash, she actually knows what that he can be talented at battles (I always wonder what would've happened if Cilan and Iris had watched Ash battle in the Sinnoh League?), she just likes to tease him.

Blog Entries

So with Dawn, once again we only see Piplup for the entire episode.

I have a bad feeling that Dawn's stay is only going to focus on Piplup. We only saw all her pokemon last time just to see she still had the same team. I know Mamoswine will get a training battle soon, but things don't look good so far.

Also, can you give me final confirmation on that: is it using Peck or Drill Peck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiplet View Post
    How accurate the sub is though I really don't know.
    The episode 2 one that's floating around? It's pretty cruddy, yeah. And as Adyniz says, the move from episode 2 was Drill Peck, not Peck.
    Piplup and martianmister like this.
    So.

I'm still convinced that the move PIPLUP used was WATER PULSE! It had the same animation Trip's Frilish used in BW010!

And headbut looked a lot like tackle! No sparkles there.
    And why the hell Piplup didn't used whirlpool!????

Quote Originally Posted by Eneci View Post
    I'm still convinced that the move PIPLUP used was WATER PULSE!
    It was BubbleBeam.
    Piplup likes this.
    So.

This Space For Rent DynoStretch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    So with Dawn, once again we only see Piplup for the entire episode. I have a bad feeling that Dawn's stay is only going to focus on Piplup. We only saw all her pokemon last time just to see she still had the same team. I know Mamoswine will get a training battle soon, but things don't look good so far.
    Yeah, the writers seem to be milking the cutesy-poo stuff to the bone in this region. Least Hoenn and Sinnoh had a nice balance of cute and awesome showcasing.

I was afraid this would happen, Iris and Dawn both calling Ash a kid. I was hoping that Dawn wouldn't be onboard with that sort of thing, as i recall that she had teensy bit more respect for Ash. Why do they insist on giving people a reason to mock him, by this point, he deserves better.
    In a fitting moment of irony a few minutes later, Iris grabbed that Magnemite and got zapped, while Dawn grabbed that Foongus and got gassed. What a couple of kids!
    Shinneth likes this.
    The White Supremacy Alliance

- Shogun - Watt - Dharuma - Ectoplasm - Ragnorok - Balrog -

Blog Entries

Oshawott learning hydro pump was really today awesome.

Blog Entries

I find it disturbing that Iris/Cilan don't know anything about Ash's past. If Dawn didn't bring up Brock I am sure Ash wouldn't have.

Its amazing how Ash seems to not mention anything he does to new travel companions.
    djulienr likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

He's mentioning less and less with each passing season; I think that he's become jaded to the departures and perhaps finds solace in forgetting about them rather than mulling them over all the time, to prevent any type of emotional illness from developing XP

No but really, they ain't relevant no more...no need to bring up anything from the past...no need to bring up to a certain hoity toity blonde haired orange jacket wearing rival that he's inferior to a certain other hoity toity rival that sldkahf;klhglkshdfkjdfl

Okay I'll stop now.

But, very glad that Brock was mentioned, it was a nice little nod to his past~
    Karamazov likes this.

"seasons change, people change"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)