REVIEW: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 087 "Survival on the Island of Iwark!" Review Thread

I didn't think the Takeshi reference would get me as excited as it did. XD

Hikari picking up "Kodome ne" too? Really writers?

Was the stuff at the end with the TRio anything important? And I guess that helicopter flies them back and forth between the anime and the radio show.

Finally, Takeshi mentioned. But I agree with Dogasu, he should've mentioned him by now. He traveled with him for years (in our time)! Nice friend you are, Satoshi!

Anyway, I actually liked Hikari annoying Satoshi with the "kodomo ne" thing. I'm not a huge fan of Iris, but her interactions with just about any character are really entertaining. And Meloetta doing something for a change was great, but I hate the way she sings.

And another pointless TR scene, what fun.

Tracey's #1 fangirl Kenji-girl's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial Board

Follow Kenji-girl on Tumblr

This episode reminded me a lot of DP046. Friends being separated and being chased by Onix. Yeah. But I loved the first mentioning of Brock in nearly 100 episodes. At least it was more than Tracey got back in BW047. I did not like how Dawn agreed with Iris about Ash being a kid though. I was hoping she'd be the one to defend him. I mean she's more of a kid than he is. But I guess the writers just love for the girls to agree with each other on everything. Also, is the anime going back to Pokemon knowing more than four moves at a time now or what? XD Piplup has used five of them in a span of a couple episodes.
    Duque likes this.

Blog Entries

Holy Crap, with all these brand new moves Piplup is showing off, Buneary better have received some brand new move.

Not going to lie, I like Oshawott's hydro pump, one of the most unique animations for the move, using the Scalchops.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    I hate that Satoshi's been traveling around with Iris and Dent all this time without so much as mentioning Takeshi's name. I mean, you only traveled with him through four regions (five if you count the Battle Frontier, for some reason), you could have mentioned him at *some* point.
    Yet supposedly Ash did mention Dawn at some point for Iris/Cilan to know about her in the previous episode.

The minimal training thing annoyed me, why would Ash be just training Oshawott? He's trained in groups on a beach before, yet suddenly now he decides to just train Oshawott. It would have been fine having them all out of their Pokeballs training, then recall everyone before leaving, setting up a scene where Oshawott pops back out of his ball to stay with Meloetta. Does the same job as just training Oshawott, but makes Ash look far less pathetic.

Another annoyance was Ash having no response over seeing a Kingler - it wouldn't be too hard to have Ash interrupt Dawn's scan of Krabby to then scan it himself mentioning that he has one of them.

As nice as the animation and music for the forme is, I really hope it never gets shown in full again - but otherwise Meloetta added quite a bit here beyond just being a side of the Oshawott/Piplup plot. Actually being shown as capable of fighting is a nice change from the usual Pokemon in distress situations and hopefully that carries through to the Team Rocket plot.

Brock's mention is interesting - it means that more of his goals have been mentioned than Dawn's. On the other hand, it would be better if he had just popped up in a Pokemon Centre one day with Chansey as an intern or something (or researching regional variations in Nurse Joy).

Dawn not being interested in training at all is strange in the context of her supposedly coming for the tournament. Though it made less sense for Axew to be suddenly fighting Excadrill - physically no less.

Plot wise, why exactly were they all surprised by the fact that the Island of Onix had Onix on it? What did they expect when walking in that tunnel? Or the next tunnel? Or the path? Besides, Ash saw a shiny Onix in the episode where that kid polished his - that's better than a green one.

So apart from the storyline, plot and structure, the episode was good. Kinda disappointed the movie is on next week.

Main redeeming factor though:
    Last edited by Moe; 5th July 2012 at 06:14 AM.
    djulienr and martianmister like this.

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Holy Crap, with all these brand new moves Piplup is showing off, Buneary better have received some brand new move.

Not going to lie, I like Oshawott's hydro pump, one of the most unique animations for the move, using the Scalchops.
    Using the Scalchops? He used it just like Piplup uses it in the opening song.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tv1341483556043.jpg  
    djulienr likes this.

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

Brock was mentioned? I've been waiting two years for this.

That's great, I honestly didn't expect that he'd ever get a mention... And I'm really glad it was a little more than that too.

Glups Did Team Rocket throw to the watter the DNA LINK PIN

Blog Entries

I am loving the fact that Hikari used Iris' awesome catchphrase.
    And Takeshi was mentioned!

Also, Mijumaru was the boss using Hydro Pump.

Quote Originally Posted by TeddiUrsa View Post
    Miju learned Hydro Pump so sudden and without prior training of said move...that damn Gary Stu...
    To be fair, didn't Squirtle also suddenly learn Hydro Pump out of nowhere? If I recall, it just used it out of the blue in "Misty Meets Her Match" when Ash is battling against Rudy's Starmie.

I am happy to hear there was a Brock reference. Ash has a habit of forgetting all about his former travel buddies as soon as they part ways, which is irritating. It's always the other characters that remember them, however - Misty mentioned Brock during the Orange Islands and am I correct in saying it was Dawn who mentions him in this episode?
    I stream Pokémon episodes and movies at least once a week, follow @PKMNProfessor on Twitter to receive updates on when I'm streaming! (I also tweet any interesting Pokemon based news stories, facts and what I'm currently doing in-game.)

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What the hell? Piplup can now use five different attacks (Bubblebeam, Ice Beam, Drill Peck, Headbutt, and Hydro Pump). Eventually the writers are going to make it forget something.

Also, out of all of the moves it could possibly learn, why did Oshawott have to learn Hydro Pump? I understand that Oshawott wanted to learn an attack so that it could match up to its new rival, but Hydro Pump is an attack that both Piplup and Ash's Palpitoad already know. Oshawott should have followed with what Pignite did and learned Water Pledge or some other type of Water-type attack that has a large range of damage.

Other than this, it was a generic episode that included a swarm of a pokemon species led by an alternatively colored member of that species.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Kibago and Doryuuzu training? Heh, I'll take it.

I love how enough thought Dento and Hikari would be the bestestestes of friends, lol still nope :P

Miju's Hydro Pump looks and sounds fucking epic!

This reminds me of how Haruka's "Kamo" and Hikari's "Daijobou" were picked up by Satoshi-Tachi often XD
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 5th July 2012 at 06:57 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    Dawn has picked up Iris' catchphrase, and both direct it at Ash...dear god.
    Oh, brother... dual kodomo ne. I don't need this. 9_9

Good points:

- Don't worry, Brock, you're replaced, but not forgotten... by Dawn, at least;
    - Meloetta goes pirouette in a great mahou shoujo fashion (sorry, pip and osha, she's glad with Ash's compliment, not yours :P);
    - New attacks! It's about damn time, oshawott! But, this put you very very VERY distant from an evolution, now.

Bad points:

- Scanning onix, krabby, kingler... really, Ash? Let Dawn scan the old things now, for Pete's sake... oh, wait, she scanned krabby and kingler! Nevermind, then ^^";
    - Oh, brother... dual kodomo ne + girls bonding. I don't need this. Again. 9_9²;
    - Shiny onix. It's as stupid as a normal onix. Just bring the crystal onix back :P.

Meh episode is meh. I liked only meloetta's change form and pip + osha combo.
    Last edited by Duque; 5th July 2012 at 07:05 AM.
    Phoenixphlare likes this.
    Man, when you stop to think of it DP did have some crap in it. Its just that when people think about DP, they only remember Paul, Pokehunter J/Galactic and all the Gyms and Contests episodes....basically the good parts.
    And... there are actually a lot of BW episodes that have pissed me off. By this point it'd be easier to just list the ones that I can stand to watch. The more the series progresses, the more the writing of these episodes piss me off.

Blog Entries
    Add L-05308 on Facebook
    Visit L-05308's Youtube Channel

Oshawott, and Squirtle for that matter, learn Hydro Pump naturally anyway and I knew Oshawott would learn one of Piplup's attacks, I just hoped for ice beam seen as Palpitoad already has Hydro Pump.

Piplup getting Headbutt is kinda dumb, you'd think after Drill Peck and Ice Beam, another new move would have to be spectaculiar.

Brock got a mention, great. But I can't help but wonder why Dawn has said so little about what she has been getting up to, interesting she was not training at the start, maybe she is in a rut again?

I hope Piplup isn't Dawn's only pokemon to get focus and do stuff in this arc, I am worried about the other 5 :/
    djulienr likes this.

Moe
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't call what Piplup did Headbutt - he just kinda rammed Onix - it didn't make any glowing effects or anything that would suggest a move was being used. The fact it knocked him out trying probably shows the lack of an actual move.
    Piplup and martianmister like this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)