REVIEW: BW 083-084 "Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!!" Review Thread - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: BW 083-084 "Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!!" Review Thread

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Default Re: BW 083-084 "Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!!" Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    She's weak in her game and it makes Ash look unprepared for the league. Also with the exception of Mewtwo gym leader were shown to be defeatable by rookies
    Gym Leaders are always highly skilled trainers. That's kind of the point. Also, she only brought up the 6-on-3 after finding out that Ash already had 7 badges. To me that implies that she would have adjusted things accordingly to give a less-experienced trainer a fair battle, and probably did just that with the kids that were beaten before Ash showed up. I think it's been implied over the years that anime Gyms work like that. For example, consider all the Ice Pokemon that live at Pryce's Gym. We've also seen over the years that not all beginning trainers start out from the games' first town, so they don't all challenge gyms in the same order. I think it's a reasonable conclusion that Gym Leaders would have a variety of Pokemon of different experience levels to use depending on their challenger's apparent experience.

As far as making Ash look unprepared for the league, from the writers' perspective, that may have been exactly the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    That's different I mean after the battle. He was happy to win not embarrassed by his lack luster performance.
    A win is a win. He fought hard and won, why shouldn't he celebrate it?

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude

This Space For Rent DynoStretch's Avatar

Default Re: BW 083-084 "Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!!" Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    Gym Leaders are always highly skilled trainers. That's kind of the point. Also, she only brought up the 6-on-3 after finding out that Ash already had 7 badges. To me that implies that she would have adjusted things accordingly to give a less-experienced trainer a fair battle, and probably did just that with the kids that were beaten before Ash showed up. I think it's been implied over the years that anime Gyms work like that. For example, consider all the Ice Pokemon that live at Pryce's Gym. We've also seen over the years that not all beginning trainers start out from the games' first town, so they don't all challenge gyms in the same order. I think it's a reasonable conclusion that Gym Leaders would have a variety of Pokemon of different experience levels to use depending on their challenger's apparent experience.
    Again, this is part of the problem. They simply made Roxie too overpowered, to the point where she made Ash go by that handicap and gave him healing berries to make it easier for him. Ash has never been this babied before in a gym battle, and it's very bad for what was supposed to be his final gym badge of the region.

As far as making Ash look unprepared for the league, from the writers' perspective, that may have been exactly the point.
    And if Roxie is supposed to be a responsible, experienced gym leader, don't you think she shouldn't hand out a gym badge to a trainer who clearly isn't prepared, especially when this is supposed to be his final badge?

If the writers wanted to give Ash a wake-up call, then they should have found another way to go about it, like having him lose badly (or at least do badly) against a rival trainer. Or they could do something more original and have some super-elite Rocket try to kill him and/or take his Pokemon, and he loses badly, only for Cynthia to bail him out, leaving him with the knowledge of how weak he is and that he's not as ready for the league then he thought.

A win is a win. He fought hard and won, why shouldn't he celebrate it?
    Because it was an undeserved victory that he only got because his opponent gave him a handicap. It cheapens the victory and shows Ash to be far too weak. This is just as bad as the Sinnoh league battle against Paul, where he only won because Electivire intervened and stopped the referee from declaring the battle over.
    Phoenixphlare likes this.
    The White Supremacy Alliance

- Shogun - Watt - Dharuma - Ectoplasm - Ragnorok - Balrog -

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

LinkBacks (?)