REVIEW: BW 083-084 "Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!!" Review Thread - Page 6

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: BW 083-084 "Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!!" Review Thread

Default Re: BW 083-084 "Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!!" Review Thread

So, I was browsing Bulbapedia, to look at the future episodes to air in USA, when I came across this. Why did Ash battle that Gym Leader, when she's going to make her debut in Black Version 2 and White Version 2? Why not Iris or Drayden? I'm so confused...

EDIT: I was going to create a thread, to ask my question, but since this once was started, I assumed I was supposed to use this one.
    Last edited by X-Strike; 16th June 2012 at 11:00 PM.
    If you just let me make my own mistakes, I promise I'll behave, only in the worst way

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 083-084 "Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!!" Review Thread

They just wanted to promoted BW2 early I guess. We really don't know.

PURPLE HERMIT! Chosen of Mana's Avatar Archives Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Chosen of Mana On Twitter

Can I just mention how badass adorable Pignite looked in this picture?

Just look at him.

Big claimin'
    Cresselia (Pokémon)
    Colette Brunel [Tales of Symphonia] and Yuri Lowell [Tales of Vesperia] (Video game characters)

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia View Post
    They just wanted to promoted BW2 early I guess. We really don't know.
    I don't know, it just caught me off guard so badly that I was dumbfounded by it.
    If you just let me make my own mistakes, I promise I'll behave, only in the worst way

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

What I like about this episode is that we now know what happened to Cyrus.

It seems he took a liking to rock music after his defeat in DP.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    What I like about this episode is that we now know what happened to Cyrus.

It seems he took a liking to rock music after his defeat in DP.
    We also know what happened to Giovanni:

1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Blog Entries

I like Dustdas even more now.
    That pile of trash is really awesome.

Homika is awesome! She has Miki Sayaka's voice!

And I loved Iris cheering up Satoshi with the drum. xD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    And...I still will never understand the accusations that Iris isn't Satoshi or Dento's friend.
    If how Iris was portrayed in this episode was characteristic of how she is usually portrayed, then I would see your point, but as much as I liked the interactions between the trio, it stood out in this episode because it's an exception rather than the norm. How she acted in this episode was so novel and actually entertaining and interesting because of how un-Iris like she acted. You usually never see her invested or interested in what's happening or in other characters except in the episodes that focus on her. It was nice to see her actually play the role of the entertaining wacky funny sidekick and actually feel like she enjoys being with Satoshi and Dent for once. I hope this anti-Iris continues in Season 2.

Overall, I thought this gym battle, despite the 6 vs. 3 rule was better than DP's last gym battle. Torterra's development all being thrown away like that and being beaten easily. Pikachu Iron Tailing Electivire to death after Satoshi had it zapped and super charged its speed. Infernape Mach Punch one-shotting Jolteon, and Blaze sweeping Luxray wasn't as good as this battle. Homika was just a much better character than Denzi and her Pokemon were just much more fun, plus in this battle Satoshi used some crazy strategy. I would have to rewatch Denzi's battle to fully remember it, but overall I feel like this was a much better final gym. Not as good as Hoenn, but better than DP and Kanto's.
    I really could not disagree more with this. I think the animation was more visually interesting here and while the episode was more comedic, it wasn't memorable nor did it really convey anything. In DP, when the lights go down and Goukazaru's blaze is the only light in the stadium and everyone's just silent, there's so much tension in that moment and it really showed how much Satoshi and Goukazaru (and Pikachu and Dodaitose too) had grown during their journey, it really felt like all the hard work had paid off and that the journey had not been in vain. There's a moment I remember. In this match, there wasn't that one moment. Here, as an eighth gym, it failed to deliver that "look how far Satoshi has gone and how ready he is for the League" feeling. Plus to me, there was just much more going on with Denzi and Oba than Homika, and their dynamics and their interactions with the gang were more interesting.

This episode was like... a Big Mac. Good in the moment, but I won't remember the taste five minutes afterwards.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    And...I still will never understand the accusations that Iris isn't Satoshi or Dento's friend.
    If how Iris was portrayed in this episode was characteristic of how she is usually portrayed, then I would see your point, but as much as I liked the interactions between the trio, it stood out in this episode because it's an exception rather than the norm. How she acted in this episode was so novel and actually entertaining and interesting because of how un-Iris like she acted. You usually never see her invested or interested in what's happening or in other characters except in the episodes that focus on her. It was nice to see her actually play the role of the entertaining wacky funny sidekick and actually feel like she enjoys being with Satoshi and Dent for once. I hope this anti-Iris continues in Season 2.
    Well, now that Iris has seen Satoshi earn his badges she respects him. Compare Iris in the first gym battle who didn't believe in Satoshi to the Iris in this gym battle. When she saw that he was losing, she didn't want to believe that the trainer she believed in to win would lose, so she supported him more in this gym battle to make him win.

Overall, I thought this gym battle, despite the 6 vs. 3 rule was better than DP's last gym battle. Torterra's development all being thrown away like that and being beaten easily. Pikachu Iron Tailing Electivire to death after Satoshi had it zapped and super charged its speed. Infernape Mach Punch one-shotting Jolteon, and Blaze sweeping Luxray wasn't as good as this battle. Homika was just a much better character than Denzi and her Pokemon were just much more fun, plus in this battle Satoshi used some crazy strategy. I would have to rewatch Denzi's battle to fully remember it, but overall I feel like this was a much better final gym. Not as good as Hoenn, but better than DP and Kanto's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    I really could not disagree more with this. I think the animation was more visually interesting here and while the episode was more comedic, it wasn't memorable nor did it really convey anything. In DP, when the lights go down and Goukazaru's blaze is the only light in the stadium and everyone's just silent, there's so much tension in that moment and it really showed how much Satoshi and Goukazaru (and Pikachu and Dodaitose too) had grown during their journey, it really felt like all the hard work had paid off and that the journey had not been in vain. There's a moment I remember. In this match, there wasn't that one moment. Here, as an eighth gym, it failed to deliver that "look how far Satoshi has gone and how ready he is for the League" feeling. Plus to me, there was just much more going on with Denzi and Oba than Homika, and their dynamics and their interactions with the gang were more interesting.

This episode was like... a Big Mac. Good in the moment, but I won't remember the taste five minutes afterwards.
    I've watched this gym battle 3 times ^_^ because I found that the taste(oh god Dent is rubbing in on us) of the episode was well, tastier than Denzi's. Oba and Denzi had more episodes dedicated to them which developed their characters, while Homika only starred in 2, in which she learned that she shouldn't be so overconfident. I really didn't like how Dodaitose was easily beaten after all the development it got, which lead to it never winning a battle unlike Kenhallow, Gantle and Gamagaru who got nearly no development and were easily beaten.

Goukazaru was unnecessarily glorified again when it already destroyed 2 of Suzuna's Pokemon in the previous gym battle. With Ash nearly losing with a 6 vs 3, it felt like as if there was more struggle with how Homika was portrayed to be a very strong trainer. Going through the 52 episode gap, I didn't want Goukazaru to be in the battle and take nearly all the fame and glory by beating 2 of Denzi's Pokemon. It was a shame to see it happen. When what happens is predictable(Goukazaru using Blaze) In this battle, the glory was shared between Pikachu, Hahakoromi and Chaoboo with one win each.

I didn't get any feeling of hype for the league in both this gym battle and Denzi's. From this battle, I got hype for the Junior World Tournament(which I think will make hype for the Unova League), from Denzi's battle I got no hype.

After doing more research, it seems that that Opelucid City's Gym is closed, which is why they travel to Virbank City. I couldn't find out why it was closed, but I'll found out, once the episode airs, I'm sure.

Source: BW080 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
    Last edited by X-Strike; 20th June 2012 at 09:28 PM.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA HOMIKA
    Me listing to that cheer "NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
    NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE"

Man i hated that cheer. it sounded like a squeaky fan belt. but the design of all of Roxie's fans really had me a bit scared a bit hoping that those designs do not transfer to future episodes. O.o

However i got a huge laugh from the "Cheer" Section of iris and cilan and the makeup desighn by iris. that made the episode worth watching again

By the way any one know who Roo or Cook is in this episode? im not sure if it is the other two members of the band or not

Blog Entries

I didn't hate Iris in this but that being said it was pretty annoying. For example Cilan explaining the Sp def drop the problem was how did he know there was a sp def drop there was no blue thingy like in the games or any original effect. and then Cilan goes on to explain that it was Ash's strategy to lower its spdef then use a special attack but maybe Ash was using an attack twice for the sake of using an attack twice it's perfect legit to do that. And to spend so much time explain something that might not be true is just awful awful story telling.

And I hated how easily Ash was convinced into using six. Piplup mentioned "It's like the games" but the problem is that in the games most of the time you win with some pokes to spare so taking away that aspect but keeping the lopsidedness is complete BS. He didn't even seem phased by how poorly he did unless I zoned out near the end but still he could have surrended or something. And I don't understand why Satoshi is so weak sure he rotated his mons a little but he was smart in this battle and still looked lame. They didn't have to make him weak I don't understand why he would be weak yet he seems weak. This episode ruined Ash as trainer in my eyes for awhile at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Blog Entries
    Follow Mjolnir On Twitter Add Mjolnir on Facebook
    Follow Mjolnir on Tumblr

I really liked these two episodes. I'm pretty sure I'd have the same reaction as Satoshi with the 3to6 rule but, I can understand why Homika did it; she just wanted to enjoy herself and let the crowd have a good time too.

Also, does anyone know who voiced the referee? Because whoever it was needs to do more voice work.

One thing I did not like though was the Rocket corner. I guess I'm too used to their Isshu selves because seeing them as they were during Kanto was really jarring and bluh.
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 29th June 2012 at 07:32 PM.

This Space For Rent DynoStretch's Avatar

There's something to be said about Ash's big finale to his gym badge collecting being him fighting garbage, kind of a euphemism to his current battling ability in this region.

As nice as this battle looked and was choreographed, it was horribly written. This is easily the worst gym battle since Elesa. Not only do we have Ash being out of character to the point where he agreed to the gym battle despite the huge handicap he was getting (where's the kid who wanted to battle all three of the waiter brothers, or wanted to battle Skyla rather then getting evaluated?), but Roxie's arrogant attitude about being so strong that he would need 6 Pokemon is proven in the right. This battle could have easily been done with just a three-on-three match and it would had been fine.

Much like with Blaziken at the end of the Johto region, this battle seems to be made strictly so as to glorify Roxie's character as a promotion for the B2/W2 games, of which we'll spend beating up her two unevolved, under-level-20 Pokemon within three minutes.
    The White Supremacy Alliance

- Shogun - Watt - Dharuma - Ectoplasm - Ragnorok - Balrog -

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by X-Strike View Post
    So, I was browsing Bulbapedia, to look at the future episodes to air in USA, when I came across this. Why did Ash battle that Gym Leader, when she's going to make her debut in Black Version 2 and White Version 2? Why not Iris or Drayden? I'm so confused...
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Strike View Post
    I don't know, it just caught me off guard so badly that I was dumbfounded by it.
    It must be really easy to confuse you then. Battling Homika was obviously to promote the new games. There's no reason it should be that confusing. Especially since it was done once before.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    I didn't hate Iris in this but that being said it was pretty annoying. For example Cilan explaining the Sp def drop the problem was how did he know there was a sp def drop there was no blue thingy like in the games or any original effect.
    How exactly is that any different than him knowing the secondary effects of any other moves, as he has demonstrated numerous times? It's just the kind of thing a Gym Leader should know.

Quote Originally Posted by DynoStretch View Post
    Not only do we have Ash being out of character to the point where he agreed to the gym battle despite the huge handicap he was getting (where's the kid who wanted to battle all three of the waiter brothers, or wanted to battle Skyla rather then getting evaluated?), but Roxie's arrogant attitude about being so strong that he would need 6 Pokemon is proven in the right. This battle could have easily been done with just a three-on-three match and it would had been fine.
    1. How is it out of character when he at first said he wanted an even 3-on-3? He only agreed to 6-on-3 once Roxie insisted.
    2. Did you even watch the episode? Clearly if it was 3-on-3 Ash would've lost. And that was probably the point. Seems evident to me during the scene where Ash questions himself during the battle.

Another note: I noticed something as soon as Roxie first appeared that I didn't notice when I saw her sprite or official art, since those can be so easily flipped around: I love the fact that Roxie is left-handed. She has a left-handed guitar and throws her Pokeballs left-handed. That's the first time I can remember seeing that in the show. Very cool.
    Last edited by Geodude; 5th August 2012 at 01:18 PM.
    HumanDawn likes this.

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)