REVIEW: BW 083-084 "Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!!" Review Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: BW 083-084 "Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!!" Review Thread

Default Re: BW 083-084 "Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!!" Review Thread

A decent episode ruined with the fact that it was a 6 on 3.

Homika was quite funny, and her Pokemon's are pretty strong. oKay insanely strong and fast but a good battle.
    Shame Homika is just the 2nd GL in BW2! Would love to fight her anime PowerHouse .

Giant Slice of Pecan Pie JB2448's Avatar
    Follow JB2448 On Twitter Add JB2448 on Google+
    Follow JB2448 on Tumblr Visit JB2448's Youtube Channel

Default Re: BW 083-084 "Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!!" Review Thread

Rocket's taking over Oak's Live Caster?

Rocket-blocked

Now with low-quality KeyHole screencaps!

I'm sorry. I just cared about Team Rocket being in character more than the episode.
    Piplup, Dogasu, matt0044 and 2 others like this.
    Do a barrel roll!

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

LMFAO at Iris's attempt to cheer for Ash... YOU GO GIRLL! She even dragged Dento with her and dressed him up, even though Gamagaru fainted just after she started cheering, it was worth a shot... XD

I missed the first half hour but enjoyed whatever I saw. Btw, Homika kind of reminded me of Agatha.

AND HOLY HELL! IT"S ROCKETTO DAN's LIVE CASTER :D

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Iris and Dent were quite possibly the cutest things I have ever seen.

But yeah, it was a pretty good battle. Homika came across as strong but definitely not overpowered, and Satoshi's strategies made his win definitely believable.

In case anyone who didn't see it wants to know the match-ups:

Gantle vs. Dogars: Dogars wins
    Kenhallow vs. Dogars: Dogars wins
    Hahakomori vs. Dogars: Hahakomori wins
    Hahakomori vs. Pendora: Pendora wins
    Chaoboo vs. Pendora: Chaoboo wins
    Chaoboo vs. Dustdas: Dustdas wins
    Gamagaru vs. Dustdas: Gamagaru
    Pikachu vs. Dustdas: Pikachu wins

Here's my thoughts on the episode:
    - I really love how this Gym isn't a huge elaborate building, but just an underground music club. Hell, Satoshi-tachi only found it when they glanced the Gym logo on the door.
    - So this Gym has a scoreboard? Interesting!
    - To be honest, I liked this Gym Battle a lot more than I thought I would. Satoshi used some good strategies at the beginning against Dogars, using Gantle's Sandstorm and Kenhallow's Quick Attack to counter Dogar's speedy movements before Hahakomori used String Shot to send it flying.
    - Funny how Pendora's Toxic can burn through rocks, but simply poisons opposing Pokemon (not that I wanted to see Pokemon skin melting...).
    - Satoshi nearly giving up at this point was so out-of-character for him, I still can't believe he actually considered it.
    - I really liked the design of the Toxic Badge.
    - 'Next Time... A New Beginning'... really, now?

It seems that while their soulless clones are wandering around Isshu the real Musashi, Kojirō and Nyarth were busy trying to take over the Live Caster from Okido-Hakase... and it was brilliant to see a fully in-character Team Rocket trio. I've missed those guys. I wouldn't have been surprised to have Sonasu pop up at the end.
    martianmister likes this.

Moe
    Blog Entries

As I expected, while I'm still annoyed about the mechanics and rules of the battle - Ash lost that by any possible measure and nothing he did redeemed his skill one bit, blind luck of static just tops off a terrible way of winning - I liked this episode a lot. The battle itself was lively, the music was fantastic and created a great atmosphere. I wish Homika got an episode to be introduced like all the other Gym leaders did, the battle took up too much of the episodes, even if it did seem like it went by quickly thanks to keeping up good pace of battling.

I really, really hate the fact that Ash didn't once recall his Pokemon (unless I missed a no substitutions rule). It's not just this episode, Ash talks a lot about caring for Pokemon and not pushing them too hard, letting Pokemon get poisoned and every time just telling them to push on is terrible and makes him seem totally reckless in battle. The pecha berries were a nice touch - though perhaps Ash could have got a bunch from Iris before the battle because he knew he was facing a poison gym?

I know it was inevitable, but scanning Koffing made me rage, though at least he did recognise it (seems like Iris didn't at first, which is good). Leavanny's use of string shot on Koffing was great to see - I was kinda hoping Ash would do that, after all, that's how he first dealt with James' Koffing with Caterpie. It'd be nice to think that's a deliberate nod to the past, but that would just again drive home the fact that Ash has beaten so many Koffing that he should have wiped the floor with Homika's. There's also some great personality from Leavanny and Koffing.

Garbodor was interesting, I never got the impression from seeing it in the games that it had that level of mobility. Scolipede was disappointing, fell way too easily, and didn't demonstrate the degree of skill and speed that Koffing and Scolipede did. They should have taken the chance to show off a more unique Poison type.

Meloetta was good - I liked how it seemed like at one point the music wasn't to its taste so it disappeared. The development of the connection with Ash seems to be going along well, something the anime often seems to fumble - I look forward to how that part pans out.

As I over-analysed in the preview thread, Iris confuses me here, I think it's a relatively dramatic shift in her character. I get some degree of getting caught up in the atmosphere, but I think it is too big of a shift too quickly. While it's a positive thing that she's getting along with the group now, this episode needed someone pointing out the fact Ash's win was totally undeserved. Just because he won under the rules given doesn't give him a reason to be happy about himself, and if there was ever a time Iris would be in the right place to attack Ash, this was the episode. But, I'll take the long term change and the reluctant Cilan - that's one of the few occasions I've liked the interaction between Iris and Cilan.

Was that normal Team Rocket in the Live Caster? They almost seem human in that segment, much unlike their in-episode appearance. Hearing Best Wishes for the last time makes me realise how much I like it - I do hope the BW2 theme song lives up to the high standard. Won't miss the animation though.

Anyway, really liked Homika and especially liked the music throughout the episode. I don't normally notice, but when it's done this well and as lively as it was (even if it's mostly just the familiar tunes) it really ads a whole lot to the episode. But, the episode still leaves the lingering annoyance of the horrible 6 vs 3. I do really hope there's a battle with Drayden on fair rules before the league, just to redeem Ash.
    Last edited by Moe; 14th June 2012 at 06:38 AM.

追放されたバカ

My Two Cents Anyway

Bad Pennies
    Gunk Shot on A Palpitoad was a little harsh...

Pikachu's static= Deus Ex Machina of Best Wishes 1.

WTF PALPITOAD HAS ONLY 3 MOVES STILL?

WTF is with Unfezant's moveset? Truly she is the weakest bird.

WTF? Leavanny still knows Tackle?

Good Pennies;

Pignite is frippin awesome.

So is Leavanny.

NO OSHAWOTT!

BADGES DONE!

HOMIKA!

IRIS CILAN AXEW=ASH DEFENSE FORCE.

KOFFING OF DOOM!

Gunk Shot!

Venoshock!

Pecha Berries!

Punk Rock(no pop!)

3 months till the league? Will Ash Prevail to 2nd Place in the Unova League(losing to Trollbias 2.0 with a Cobalion), as trends predict?

Meloetta!

TEAM ROCKET'S IN CHARACTER AGAIN!

ANTI-ANTI-GARBODOR EVIDENCE!

Score:8.2/10, for Moveset WTF?, and Cruel Poison tactics, but the rest was great.
    Last edited by garrison-san; 14th June 2012 at 07:01 AM.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

I would've dug it if they had at least gotten Ash to come up with some sort of way to counter getting poisoned all the time. Seriously, as soon as that shit hit, it was game over for whoever was on the field.
    I liked the animation and some of the techniques used during the fight, but I just couldn't get over the insane handicap Homika gave herself. The 3 vs. 6 thing was generous as hell without handing out berries to heal poison mid-match. The heck was up with that? I like to think unusual writing choices like that usually doesn't bother me, but it really got in the way this time.

On the plus side, I thought Koffing and Garbodor were really cool here. At the end of the day, I wanted Homika's pokemon team to be portrayed well, and bar maybe Scolipede, I think they did a great job. Garbodor in particular has a really interesting battle style and a unique set of moves at it's disposal. I wish more of Ash's opponents could be as fun to watch as that.

Iris whipping out face paint and tribal drums to cheer Ash on was pretty cute. Watching past Gym battles, you can kind of see it leading up to her giving that level of support.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

So, thoughts on Dogas, because that deserves its own post.

1) I'm so happy Dogas showed up during one of the good animation days. This episode provided tons of great shots of the pokemon and I can't wait to start screencapping.
    2) That voice, though. Ugh. It just didn't sound like the Dogas I know and love from Kanto :( I know they probably didn't want to remind people too much of the fact that there used to be a Dogas on this show, but *still* I miss Unshou Ishizuka.
    3) But, at least Dogas was strong and put up a good fight!
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Ash using 6 against 3 and and Homika making Ash's Poké use berries mid-battle really made this feel like how a game battle usually is - you usually have more Poké than your opponent and usually items are used during battles to heal and so on...
    I guess it's nice to have a battle like that once in a while... though it could be even more interesting with some held items, but I guess that may be too much for the anime
    So while at first I didn't like the idea of "6 VS 3", as long as it's only going to happen once in a Jirachi and if the battle and the eps are as good as they were this time, I can accept it
    I also liked that Ash initially said that he wants to use just 3 like Homika will do... but he eventually accepts it after Homika insist
    Bubble Frog and martianmister like this.

Blog Entries

I get the feeling the animators forgot something...

Dangan Ronpa avatar and sig pic by me. Bases from here.
    3DS Friend Code: 1177-7801-6992. Friend Safari is Psychic with Abra, Espurr and Xatu. If you add me, let me know!
    Me on LiveJournal

G50
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crysta Blade View Post

I get the feeling the animators forgot something...
    Wow... which episode part was it in?

----

It was unfortunate that Palpitoad didn't get a win or last very long. :(
    At least Pignite and Leavanny got wins.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G50 View Post
    Wow... which episode part was it in?
    Second part.

Dangan Ronpa avatar and sig pic by me. Bases from here.
    3DS Friend Code: 1177-7801-6992. Friend Safari is Psychic with Abra, Espurr and Xatu. If you add me, let me know!
    Me on LiveJournal

Blog Entries

Well, that went exactly how we thought it would. It was a pretty decent battle, though, perhaps the best in all of the badge quest. Also, a new beginning what? They only do that when they're starting a new saga, we know it's not really a new saga, at least not yet. I'll see you guys on the season 2 board.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

God, I wish he'd be used more. He gets the best expressions.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)