REVIEW: BW 080 "Pokémon Sommelier Showdown! Tasting Battle!!" Review Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: BW 080 "Pokémon Sommelier Showdown! Tasting Battle!!" Review Thread

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

Default Re: BW 080 "Pokémon Sommelier Showdown! Tasting Battle!!" Review Thread

can we just

take a moment

and talk about

how perfect this was?

i still need to see the ep, boo me for staying up so late T_T

"seasons change, people change"

Blog Entries

Follow Hitomi on Tumblr

I haven't seen the ep yet either because 6am is too early for me to want to watch Pokémon, but Dento looks kind of weirded out in that last picture.

Also I have never seen the word heterosexual used so many times in one thread before.

Especially not in an episode about Dento.
    martianmister and Aestivate like this.

Blog Entries

Okay, I finished the episode (wow, that was fast! :O) Here are my thoughts:

~Iris sounded WAAAY too excited about the gym being closed. Why would she want to run away from her past like that? Ah well, it'll be explained eventually.

~Nurse Joy, why are you not calling the police?

~Manhandled Dento looks very moe.

~Cabernet probably killed a man to get that disguise.

~OKAY, MAY I JUST SAY SOMETHING?

PINOT NOIR

IS

FANTASSTIC.

(and I hope he returns for another episode. He smelled Dento and called him immature, hah! XD)

~Momochi-chan is far too nice and should have told her daddy the truth from the beginning :( She's also very adorable, creepy eyes and all!

Final consensus: Not the most exciting episode, but very enjoyable because of the interactions circling around Dento. I love how seriously they're taking this Sommelier profession, because I, too, think it's rather extravagant/unnecessary XD

I'll put some insight as to why they might be prominent in the Unova region though. Surely, since it's rather fashionable over there and full of excessive, over the top attractions and people, the Sommelier profession arose out of the need to satisfy those luxurious tastes? For instance, from the way they're dressed, I'm thinking that most sommeliers get hired by richie-rich people to justify their "choices" since a lot of rich people tend not to risk travel to get genuine pokemon experience (James is an example of that). Since I'm guessing Unova is more modernized/developed that most regions, it needs the expertise of a hired professional to make poke-monic decision?

I dunno.

Also, it seems as though Momochi's father wants Momochi to have a cute, fashionable pokemon rather than something un-extraordinary for some reason (wishes for her to participate in contests? musicals? something very female-oriented? *grumbles*) which is why Momochi was afraid to tell her dad what Pokemon she wanted in the first place.

Of course, I could just be having a huuuuuge misunderstanding, but that's the general gist I felt from it.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    Momotchi is struggling to choose a starter pokemon that will help her become an A-Class Pokemon Sommelier
    Yeah, I did misunderstand, but...I was on the right track XD *hits self for not reading OP*
    Last edited by CommanderPigg; 24th May 2012 at 10:31 PM.
    Musashi, Hellion, Eitarou and 8 others like this.

Blog Entries

You know what I noticed? If I didn't hear completely wrong, Dent called out "My vintage, Yanapp", and then we get Iwapalace. CLEARLY even Dent himself thinks the crab is his vintage now. :P

Also, I stopped having hope at ever seeing a normal Sommelier now.

Blog Entries

Well besides.. Burgundy doing absolutely nothing I really liked this episode. It made me like Cilan some more and Pinot Noir was really entertaining I hope we get to see him again. The only thing that actually disappointed me was Iris getting excited over the Opelucid City gym being closed at the moment I usually like her but if she actually did something instead of sitting around and being lazy Axew would have gotten stronger and she wouldn't have to worry about Drayden being disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Dante View Post
    You know what I noticed? If I didn't hear completely wrong, Dent called out "My vintage, Yanapp", and then we get Iwapalace. CLEARLY even Dent himself thinks the crab is his vintage now. :P

Also, I stopped having hope at ever seeing a normal Sommelier now.
    No.. he clearly said "Iwaparesu" you probably just misheard him or something.

Blog Entries

@Fullbring; Seems so. Oh well. It kinda just proves the point evnen more that ignoring the mokey is a thing now. :/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    I like Pinot Noir (did he really match a guy into marrying his Gothiruselle, lol),
    http://mar.2chan.net/dec/18/src/1337854310218.jpg

It certainly appeared that way...
    So marrying your own Pokemon is legal. I guess same sex marriage is no big whoop there either. Great for them.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

This episode right here, guess who didn't get development?

-Iris's temporary happiness over the news of the Souryuu Gym being closed pretty much confirmed the theories that she knows if she goes to Souryuu City Shaga's gone tear her a new one because of Kibago. That's some nice foreshadowing I suppose.

-Dento, now here I was expecting some Choroneko fear exploration and development. But, alas no. Choroneko comes out Dento is nervous, he sends out Iwaperesu who destroys the kleptomaniac kitty with ease, of course, one shot no less. Nearly no struggle. We've had way too many Dento episodes and screen time for him in episodes that don't center on him. It wouldn't really bother me if there was some development for him in those episodes, but there never is. It's just him prancing around doing whatever the hell he wants. Iwaperesu is his new vintage apparently. I at least liked Dento's "KU-RO-NECK-KO!?!" when the Devious Pokemon came out to play, the theme that played during the Tachiwaki scene revelation episode and during Rock Wrecker smashing Choroneko.

-Choroneko was fast, but can I just say that battle sucked? Battles are one of my favorite aspects of this show, I was expecting some fierce showdown between the Choroneko and Iwaperesu, seriously. The writers could have done it not as awful as that piece of shat batoru. Prime ex. of how?

- Pinot: Choroneko, use Sand Attack!
    - Dento: You damn sneaky kitty!
    - Satoshi/Iris: Dento!! You need to get past your prejudice towards it!
    - Dento: Okay, I'll try.. Iwaperesu, use Shell Smash!
    - Pinot: Choroneko, use Snatch! Choroneko's Defence and Special Defence fell, Choroneko's Attack, Special Attack and Speed rose sharply!
    - Dento: Fuuuuuuuu.... -.- Wha.. wha.. wha.. but, but, but.. I TOLD YOU SO, Satoshi/Iris!!! Iwaperesu Shell Smash again!
    - Pinot:Taunt!
    - Pinot: Use Night Slash! Critical Hit!
    - Dento: Ohnoos!!! Iwaperesu!!! Use X-Scissor!!!!(The Attack was avoided)
    - Pinot: Choroneko!! Finish it with Assist (troll!)! - Choroneko used Metronome!! (double troll!!) - Choroneko used Razor Shell.
    -Momochii was a nice enough character of the day, I was happy she got the Pokemon she liked and that sweet scent that came off her body being that of the poisonous mushroom was nice, you can tell she really does care for the little. Too bad her pappy wanted her to have more extravagant Poke. But sometimes it's the simple things that suffice in life.

-Pinot Noir, fat nose stuck out to me for some reasons. His body language and acts were very similar to Dento's and Cabernet's, I guess all Sommeliers are familiar in that regard. Fat nose at least was funny with the introduction. Pinot Noir wasn't very interesting though, but sufficed for a most likely one-shotter COTD.

-Cabernet. Yeah no development for her either, this episode succeeded once again in denigrating and humiliating her. Why does Dento even need a rival? I was at least expecting a small success, like her being the one to whisper who Momochii should pick while Pinot and Dento battle and the girl taking her suggestion, or her snooping around and finding out about the mushroom. Oh well. It almost seems as if the writers are tired of Cabernet, I'm pretty sure her and Langley's appearances are because they won't be seen for a while due to the BW2 marketing fiasco coming up in a few weeks. In the end being sent blasting off like a true failure by a Rock Wrecker of course. What's the point in having rivals if they're gonna be reduced to Team Rocket fodder-ish levels?(If Pinot appears again) Dento was right, won the battle, and Cabernet was used as a comedy prop most of the time.

This episode seemed like a ratings booster attempt, the writers probably know about Dento and Mamoru Miyano's cult followings and are trying to capitalize on that.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 24th May 2012 at 09:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

Jesus.
    This cap begs the deep existential question, HAO 2 MAEK EGG WITH POGEYMAN!?!?!111

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I like Pinot Noir (did he really match a guy into marrying his Gothiruselle, lol),

So marrying your own Pokemon is legal. I guess same sex marriage is no big whoop there either. Great for them.

I told you, once you legalized gay marriage, human-Pokemon marriage was the next stop.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    This episode right here, guess who didn't get development?
    Everybody in episode? Nobody developed. I can't help but smiling at the idea that after seeing the preview and reading the summaries, all indicating that this would just be a crazy hilarious comedic episode, some people expected this episode to be deep and meaningful, a story of Dent overcoming his darkest deepest fears. It was always clear from the get go this would be mainly just about getting some laughs, which was a nice change of pace after the recent plot heavy episodes. I'm more and more convinced that the Choroneko thing is gonna be Dent's version of Takeshi's thing with Professor Uchikido.

That being said, I wouldn't say the episode was a complete waste on the Dent side. It still showed he's learning new things while traveling with Satoshi because he didn't look for outright compatibility, as he might have done in the past where he was all about the trainer's style matching their pokémon's like in his Gym Battle against Satoshi, but rather looked at what the little girl wanted and matched her with the mushroom, because he learned from Satoshi that if a trainer and a pokémon care for another, they can make it work as well. It's interesting to me how much his approach diverged from Pinot and Cabernet, because that wasn't the case at the beginning of the series. He's considering more factors and getting more accurate in his tastings.

What's the point in having rivals if they're gonna be reduced to Team Rocket fodder-ish levels?(If Pinot appears again) Dento was right, won the battle, and Cabernet was used as a comedy prop most of the time.
    Since Dent's character and his goal revolves around helping trainers and mentoring them, it makes every bit of sense. What I am disappointed about this episode's treatment of Cabernet isn't so much that she didn't gain a rank or was blasted off as I would have liked more interactions between her and Dent, more of her learning from him or realizing something from him. Still, she was hilarious in this episode and I can't help but feel that her lack of progress as a sommelière is leading somewhere.
    Shinneth likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Hitomi on Tumblr

Three kids were thrown into a limo by a stranger in broad daylight and Joi just stands there. Didn't call the police. Didn't yell for the limo to stop. Just stood there like it was unexpected but not something to be concerned over.

The adults in this show are so irresponsible.

Pinot Noir's "tasting time" animation is going to haunt me. His butt. Aaugh. Don't worry, little girl with weird eyes, he scares me too. at least he didn't try to taste Dento's hand, though the sniffing...

Despite some people's insistence that Dento gained "absolutely nothing" from this episode, I will disagree. The scene where he's lying in the field, analyzing the Pokémon at the mansion was a clear application of his training as a Sommelier. Instead of doing what "Tabernet" and Pinot Noir did, and pick out a Pokémon they think is compatible with her, Dento takes into account her desires and comes up, ultimately, with the Pokémon she loved most, using his senses and logical reasoning and not just type matchup and an unfounded opinion of a person's personality. He wanted to know what she thought was best for her - not what he thought was best for her, like "Tabernet" and Pinot Noir did. And not, certainly, what he had done in the past (with Satoshi, with Cabernet).

Something I disliked about this episode was that Cabernet, once again, got the shaft when there was a perfectly good opening to show everyone that she's improved, and there should have been more interactions between her and Dento. I'm beginning to wonder if the writers are going to have her abandon her Sommelier goals and focus on being a Trainer instead - after the last tournament, it's pretty clear to me that's what she's better at. I wonder if she's going to realize that too.

This episode was definitely comedic. But I really wish Cabernet would stop getting screwed by the writers.
    martianmister, Shinneth and Adyniz like this.

Blog Entries

I can't help but smiling at the idea that after seeing the preview and reading the summaries, all indicating that this would just be a crazy hilarious comedic episode, some people expected this episode to be deep and meaningful, a story of Dent overcoming his darkest deepest fears. It was always clear from the get go this would be mainly just about getting some laughs, which was a nice change of pace after the recent plot heavy episodes.
    Except that was never stated at all, the summary and the picture with the "Black Box Challenge" clearly looked as though Dento was really gonna struggle and Choroneko was something that was really going to affect his character in a way that could cause development, struggle, and back story.(Sort of like how people expected such in the Fuuro episode) But it didn't happen, because the writers treated it as a joke. Not to mention the fact that the writers are having this episode nearly paralleled to Iris's Ice fear episode next week. It's only logically people expected some sort of development on his end. This "fear" was treated as some fanservice-y joke. He got over it so quickly he didn't even hesitate what-so-ever to pull off that tired old "Shell Smash + Attack" strategy. He took out another A-Class sommelier with absolutely no struggle or problem.

I'm more and more convinced that the Choroneko thing is gonna be Dent's version of Takeshi's thing with Professor Uchikido.
    Takeshi's situation was more of a "don't mention it because it makes me sad", while Dento's is more so treated as fear or prejudice. Of course Takeshi couldn't get development for something like that, even then Dento gets more screen time so it shouldn't be a prob.

Since Dent's character and his goal revolves around helping trainers and mentoring them, it makes every bit of sense. What I am disappointed about this episode's treatment of Cabernet isn't so much that she didn't gain a rank or was blasted off as I would have liked more interactions between her and Dent, more of her learning from him or realizing something from him. Still, she was hilarious in this episode and I can't help but feel that her lack of progress as a sommelière is leading somewhere.
    Make that more so Dento's lack of and her lack of development in a perfectly chanced episode that could have finally really taken both their characters somewhere in the "development" department. But, for the most part it ended up being more of the same with Dento being the one to realize the problem, solve it, beat Choroneko easily, and lastly Cabernet being sent flying like a rag toy. Dento literally smashed and attacked his fear head on and beat it, what can the writers do with it in the future? Oh yeah, not much or nothing. Portraying Pinot Noir, another A-Class sommelier on Dento's level who should be able to put up a struggle toward Dento, as being incompetent by quite a bit, in comparison to Dento, in both battling and tasting.

Speaking of which, I'm getting so sick of the writers, they're obviously trolling by giving Dento many episodes where absolutely nothing happens. It's a load of croc how much attention and screen time he gets in these regards, episodes like this prove it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    Except that was never stated at all, the summary and the picture with the "Black Box Challenge" clearly looked as though Dento was really gonna struggle and Choroneko was something that was really going to affect his character in a way that could cause development, struggle, and back story.(Sort of like how people expected such in the Fuuro episode) But it didn't happen, because the writers treated it as a joke.
    I'm pretty sure that was just our excitement speaking. I mean, for the longest time, not much was known about the episode other than the fact that a sommelier was going to battle Dento with a Choroneko. Of course that's what the main conversation was going to be about. It's a fairly misleading advertising strategy, but it's definitely NOT the first time they've used it.

This "fear" was treated as some fanservice-y joke.
    fanservice
    fanservice
    I really fail to see how this is a horrible thing because I personally liked it since it was a service...to the fans...

I'm not even bent out of shape that his fear won't be explained; it'll come or not come with due time.

Portraying Pinot Noir, another A-Class sommelier on Dento's level who should be able to put up a struggle toward Dento, as being incompetent by quite a bit, in comparison to Dento, in both battling and tasting.
    I'm actually a bit concerned with this, because if they downplay Pinot Noir like that, it might mean that he's just a one-shot :( Though, BW has been really good about bringing back rivals (even Luke, wtf?), so I won't completely discredit it. Either way, it was a 1 v 1 and perhaps Pinot Noir's overconfidence got to the best of him considering he didn't take into account that speed might not have been the best strategy against a Crustle (seeing how it's slower than everything anyways). I think both of them were fairly distracted to give it their all.

Speaking of which, I'm getting so sick of the writers, they're obviously trolling by giving Dento many episodes where absolutely nothing happens. It's a load of croc how much attention and screen time he gets in these regards, episodes like this prove it.
    Considering I've only gone back and seen 2 episodes in MONTHS, I don't think they're overly focusing on him (hi anime section missed ya).
    Shinneth likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderPigg View Post
    I really fail to see how this is a horrible thing because I personally liked it since it was a service...to the fans...

I'm not even bent out of shape that his fear won't be explained; it'll come or not come with due time.
    Because he easily overcame this "fear" without batting an eye. Choroneko came out and he was surprised and then Shell Smashed and Rock Wrecked klepto kitty to death.
    I'm actually a bit concerned with this, because if they downplay Pinot Noir like that, it might mean that he's just a one-shot :( Though, BW has been really good about bringing back rivals (even Luke, wtf?), so I won't completely discredit it. Either way, it was a 1 v 1 and perhaps Pinot Noir's overconfidence got to the best of him considering he didn't take into account that speed might not have been the best strategy against a Crustle (seeing how it's slower than everything anyways). I think both of them were fairly distracted to give it their all.
    He probably is just a one-shot given he left on good terms with Dento and lost to him so easily. Plus Dento sent out his Iwaperesu second. The fear didn't even hold him back. I was really expecting some back story or some type of development. But alas, nope.

Considering I've only gone back and seen 2 episodes in MONTHS, I don't think they're overly focusing on him (hi anime section missed ya).
    Casual screen time says hi also.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 23rd September 2012, 06:59 AM
  2. 26th May 2012, 10:00 AM