Like Tree46Likes

Thread: BW 077 "Flaming Memories! Pokabu VS Enbuoh!!" Review Thread

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Default Re: BW 077 "Flaming Memories! Pokabu VS Enbuoh!!" Review Thread

I loved this episode so, so much ;_______;

I am so glad Pokabu's past got revisited. Ugh the flashback with Suwana made me tear up a bit ;___; HOW CAN YOU JUST ABANDON SUCH AN ADORABLE POKEMON I CANNOT UGH. I really liked how Tsutarja's interactions with Pokabu. And when she knocked him out of the way of the attack gklajsgdskjgh ;__; This episode oddly made me like Tsutarja a bit more. I never HATED her, but I was never that big of a fan. It was nice seeing her have effective interactions with Satoshi's other Pokemon.

The only thing that bothered me about the episode was that I wish Pokabu had won the battle as a Pokabu and evolved after the battle. Maybe it would have been a bit pointless, but I think for him to defeat Suwana as he remembered him would have felt more meaningful.

Dento are you a law sommelier too gosh what is your life what can't this man do

This episode gave me so many feelings ;_;

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Unicorn View Post
    The only thing that bothered me about the episode was that I wish Pokabu had won the battle as a Pokabu and evolved after the battle. Maybe it would have been a bit pointless, but I think for him to defeat Suwana as he remembered him would have felt more meaningful.
    The issue with that is Pokabu's Nitro Charge in his state at the moment had no effect other than pushing Suwama's team back a few inches, Ash even commented to that effect(no effect on them); which is ironic, albeit Fire Oath had done tons of damage to Team Fire Warriors, but Chaobuu's Nitro Charge is what did them in/K.O.'ed them.

Blog Entries

Without a doubt one of the very best BW episodes so far to me. Everybody else already explained why it was so awesome, but for me it was a little bit more.

For the first time in the whole BW series I felt emotionally attached to the characters. Those flashback scenes were heartbreaking! I really missed episodes like this one...continuity, emotional development, great character interaction and even a wacky scene made it in?

Floink, or better Ferkokel...it's time to finally kick some ass!
    Grave-E, Piplup, Lumi and 1 others like this.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

What are these feelings? Could it be? No. It couldn't...could it? Am I really....yes....I think so. After all this time. It has finally happened. I gave a shit about Pokabu.

I'll echo everyone else's sentiments when I say that I thought this was a really enjoyable episode. Which is all kinds of shocking since I only really expected to go into this and sit there only mildly interested until the evolution came around. But yeah, there was some really great stuff going on here.
    The gyakuten scene was bizarre, but I didn't think it broke the mood despite how they were sort of vying for laughs and trying to make us take the issue seriously at the same time. It was also fun to see Iris get so fired up about the whole thing, which served as a great callback her comments in the 4th episode. I kind of wish she'd get more chances to get all defensive on behalf of others more often.
    I think what really made this one though was the whole thing with Tsutarja desperately trying to make Pokabu see sense and holding her own in order to save his bacon. This was as much her episode as it was his, and it was great to see the two interact to such a degree. Better late than never, I guess!
    Piplup, TeddiUrsa, Lumi and 1 others like this.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

You know, I would actually rate Tepig's abuse plot as being the most moving of all Ash's abandoned Fire-types, and not just because he's the cutest one. I think it's the way Suwama just appeared out of the blue seventy odd episodes down the road, and even after the abandonment and all that time Tepig was happy to see him. It just makes it even sadder when he realises Suwama never actually liked him.

Pignite will take some getting used to, but Fire Pledge was pretty impressive looking. Now it just needs a Fighting move and for either Oshawott or Snivy to learn their Pledge move so we can see the combination in action.
    Adyniz and 투 애니원 like this.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Why would they give Pignite another fire move right after evolving into a new type? Not that Fire Pledge isn't a cool move, it's just annoying that they wouldn't expand on its new capabilities and give it Arm Thrust or Brick Break.
    Grave-E likes this.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Good combination!"
    "It's judgement time!"
    "... guilty or not guilty!"

Seriously, Cilan/Dent never ceases to make me smile; I don't think I can imagine how anyone can't not love the guy. The court scene was perhaps his best sequence yet.

As for Tepig's plotline, well... despite being rather unoriginal, I stil thought it was handled quite well even if the double battle victory did feel rather cheap. And yet despite Suwama sharing similar character traits with other trainers who abandon Pokemon, I'd still rather have him as Ash's main rival instead of Trip, because anything is better than what Trip can offer. Anything.

All the same, a follow-up to a Pokemon's past with a touching story combined with Cilan's fantasy sequence made for an excellent episode all around.
    Bouffalant Herdier likes this.

Fire Pledge was just awesome
    I wonder now if soon Snivy and Oshawott will evolve and learn their Pledge moves too, and then we might see the moves combinations from the games... I can already imagine how awesome it'll be
    I'd love it if during the League Ash will have a "full set" of starters in their second form, then in the next BW saga, either they all evolve to their final form, or at least Osha making it to finally give Ash his fully evolved water starter (and since Osha does seem to be his main Poké this series... kind of...)
    Also, I wonder if in case of an evo+Pledge for Snivy, we might see its original trainer too and have another emotional ep... as for Osha there's no "original trainer" thing, but hopefully it'll also be in some emotional situation

So unless we get more info about Tsutarja's past, I feel as though her emotional attitude during this episode came practically out of nowhere. And instead of making me care about her, I honestly just grew annoyed. Considering her and Pokabu have had little to no scene's together and barely interact, it seems so out of left field. Infact Mijumaru getting a strong reaction would've made more sense, at least those two were always butting heads. Maybe Suwama's attitude triggered some kinda memory or something for her?

Iris was the highlight of this episode for me. Everything else was just so, meh. Didn't really enjoy the two hit KO after its evolution, felt very cheap but BW has been doing this for pretty much every evolution induced battle :/

Instead of getting Fire Pledge right off the bat, it would have been nice to either see a fighting move or have Chaobu win with the moves he already had. I'd rather see the pledges be taught by a move tutor. Maybe I'll like this episode more once its been subbed.
    "Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face."

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou Kid View Post
    So unless we get more info about Tsutarja's past, I feel as though her emotional attitude during this episode came practically out of nowhere. And instead of making me care about her, I honestly just grew annoyed. Considering her and Pokabu have had little to no scene's together and barely interact, it seems so out of left field. Infact Mijumaru getting a strong reaction would've made more sense, at least those two were always butting heads. Maybe Suwama's attitude triggered some kinda memory or something for her?
    Tsutarja's been shown to be like a caring big sister. In the past, she dealt with Gochimu personally, she got in between Pokabu and Mijumaru during their fights, and protected Kibago and the others from the fire monkey. I think she was in-character.
    matt0044 and 투 애니원 like this.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
    Tsutarja's been shown to be like a caring big sister. In the past, she dealt with Gochimu personally, she got in between Pokabu and Mijumaru during their fights, and protected Kibago and the others from the fire monkey. I think she was in-character.
    Are you sure that Snivy has acted "in character" in this episode? Snivy has displayed more emotion in this episode that she ever had. This is also the first time that Snivy is shown smiling with joy and not giving the slight smirk that she had in past episodes. Snivy must have really been empathetic to Tepig's situation, which is ironic considering that Ash and co. believe that she decided to release herself from her previous trainer. If anything, Snivy should have supported Suwama's behavior, since they both favor competency and strength. Whether this is because Snivy's backstory isn't as black or white as it seems to be, or Snivy has learned to appreciate being with the other pokemon remains to be unclear. Snivy used to be an emotionless recluse, and later it became a silent guardian for the pokemon that she was seen protecting. It's an odd form of progression, imo.
    Last edited by Ampharos King; 5th May 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
    Yes I know she's shown these caring big sister traits, but they were always aloof in action to me. This is the first time, I believe, she's ever acted so... visibly effected with emotion. It seems really out of character for a normally quiet and reserved Pokemon that usually is shown to be nothing but smirks and smugness.
    Last edited by Kaitou Kid; 5th May 2012 at 01:45 PM.
    "Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face."

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wonder if they're setting up something with Pignite learning Fire Pledge? I can't imagine them giving one of Ash's Starters a move whose entire gimmick revolves around fusing it with other moves for not reason but, welp, BEST WISHES.

considering Emboar was getting hit by everyone at some point in the match (including it's own partner to get out of attract.) I don't think anyone can complain it going down was cheap.

Heatmor probably should've taken abit more hits though.

Blog Entries

I love how many who loved this episode also expected it to be a total repeat of Charmander and every other fire starter of Ash's. It's a real treat when the staff exceed our expectations.
    투 애니원 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)