REVIEW: BW 071 "Steadily Progressing Donamite! Crimgan VS Kirikizan!!" - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BW 071 "Steadily Progressing Donamite! Crimgan VS Kirikizan!!"

Default Re: BW 071 "Steadily Progressing Donamite! Crimgan VS Kirikizan!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-san View Post
    Let me mention again how much I loved the rivalry between Langley and Iris is in this episode. Instead of that annoying Zorua gag we got from the last tourney, we can see how much Langley wants Iris to improve so she can defeat her. Also how Iris acts like she doesn't care but she really does. Also how it seem like Langley is pulling the "I'm the only one allowed to beat you" trope for Iris.
    It would be nice if Iris actually had some Dragon's worth busting. As it is now, Iris uses Excadrill...which isn't a Dragon, so really Iris still isn't doing much on her part of the rivalry. Langley saying that she, the dragon buster will defeat Iris, is kinda pointless right now.

What would be nice is to see Langley still disappointed in Iris even after winning. Talking down to her more about not using Dragons, telling her she relies on Excadrill to much. Something.
    Last edited by Masurao; 23rd March 2012 at 10:39 AM.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was disappointed about one thing during the episode. Ash and Scraggy were watching Iris's match with Burgundy, and Iris sent out a pokemon that is also able to use Focus Blast. I would have loved to see Ash tell Scraggy at some point during Iris's match to observe how Excadrill performs its Focus Blast attack, but this never happened on-screen. It would have also been awesome if Excadrill stepped up to teach Scraggy how to control the attack too, instead of Ash and Scraggy simply training to control the move by chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    It would be nice if Iris actually had some Dragon's worth busting. As it is now, Iris uses Excadrill...which isn't a Dragon, so really Iris still isn't doing much on her part of the rivalry. Langley saying that she, the dragon buster will defeat Iris, is kinda pointless right now.
    It really doesn't matter. Iris and Georgia are fighting different opponents in the second round of this tournament, and they will both lose to those opponents. Iris is simply using her most offensive pokemon in a tournament in which powerful pokemon with physical type attacks are typially used to compete.

What would be nice is to see Langley still disappointed in Iris even after winning. Talking down to her more about not using Dragons, telling her she relies on Excadrill to much. Something.
    Georgia did dismiss Iris's wins in the previous tournament because she primarily used pokemon that weren't Dragon-types. My guess is that Georgia gained some newfound respect for her rival after Iris won the Club Battle tournament. Otherwise, it will be interesting to see how both rivals will react after the other loses her match in the next episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos King View Post
    Georgia did dismiss Iris's wins in the previous tournament because she primarily used pokemon that weren't Dragon-types. My guess is that Georgia gained some newfound respect for her rival after Iris won the Club Battle tournament. Otherwise, it will be interesting to see how both rivals will react after the other loses her match in the next episode.
    No she didn't. She was relatively fine after Iris won. You can gain respect for someone, and still continue to emphasize more on what you want them to do. I would have liked to see her say, "Yeah Iris..it's great you won and all, but where would you be without Excadrill?"

I don't want this rivalry to stay in its current pattern...right now it's, "Ima Dragon Buster, use Dragons dammit!" to "K, you won we cool even though you didn't use a Dragon." back to "Ima Dragon Buster, use Dragons dammit!", and so on.

Almost making it seem like a gag.

Mugiwara senpai! <3 Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

In one of the scenes, Dewott's ears are missing.
    Poor Dewott XD

Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos King View Post

It really doesn't matter. Iris and Georgia are fighting different opponents in the second round of this tournament, and they will both lose to those opponents. Iris is simply using her most offensive pokemon in a tournament in which powerful pokemon with physical type attacks are typially used to compete.

Just FYI-type of thing, but, when Kenyan decribed the Don-a-Might in the first of the 4 episodes, he mentioned historically/traditionally lots of powerful Fighting-type pokemon participate, usually, that's not a set rule or anything, nor is it a rule your entry must know physical moves. They all just happen to have a physical move, even if it is a lame one like Flora's Gochimiru's Doubleslap.

I really liked Iris VS Burgundy, but I have to lol at Burgundy losing to each of the three main characters XD where's Paul? he should see her, THAT's "tsukaenai yatsu" XD
    And... Georgia beat Druddigon SO easily? seriously? "dragon buster" and all but... really?... oh well
    Oh and... Bianca, that's all I need to say... just Bianca... <3

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-san View Post
    Let me mention again how much I loved the rivalry between Langley and Iris is in this episode. Instead of that annoying Zorua gag we got from the last tourney, we can see how much Langley wants Iris to improve so she can defeat her. Also how Iris acts like she doesn't care but she really does. Also how it seem like Langley is pulling the "I'm the only one allowed to beat you" trope for Iris.

I see it this way. Langley see that Iris trained her Doryuzu so well that she's excited to see Iris's abilities in training a Dragon, which are known to be strong by themselves. If Iris trains a Dragon to be strong, and Langley defeats it, it makes Langley look good.

Though this all depends if Iris actually catches another Dragon however...

Iris listen to Langley can catch a new Dragon!

Blog Entries

Four words describe my feelings after watching this episode: Don Battle done right. That is all. Ok, I'm lying; that isn't all. :P

I really loved this episode, and it's could almost get a perfect score from me were it not for one or two things, but I'll get to that in a bit. First off, the wacky trio of female rivals just made this episode amazing in my opinion. Bel was just hilarious from start to finish, her excitement for the tournament and the battles were contagious and I laughed at her creeping on Zuruggu, Dageki and Kenyan and how she was in the battle against Shooti just made me laugh and I can't help but like Bel and feel compelled by her when you see how much it all interests her and how much she really wants this, while still being totally aborable. Langley and Cabernet had their moments too. I really loved how badass Langley looked and her little spat with Cabernet was lulzy. Speaking of Cabs, loved the faces she pulls and I loved how Dent was during her battle. You could tell he was kinda rooting for her. XD Again, the episode really emphasized why loved Cabernet, 1 cups of crazy and 1 of super nice and sensitive person. She looked dangerous. Loved the progress she made, the combinations and strategies she pulled.

The only thing that I think rivals Bel in terms of adorableness in this episode is Zuruggu. OMG there was not a scene in there where he wasn't cute as hell. Loved that Satoshi was training it and that they're working on things. Though, and this is what I think is the one of the biggest things this tournament does better than the Don Battle, how much Zuruggu is featured and great is just part of a bigger trend to put the focus back on the Pokémon and really putting them in the spotlight, highlighting what makes each species unique and interesting. Kirikizan's acrobatic prowess was just awesome, as were Futachimaru's samurai moves. Both looked really good in this episode. Futachimaru's Revenge looked fucking epic. Enbuoh just looked really badass and yet really personal and adorable. Kojondo looked really really interesting and Dageki whom I despise in game was actually kinda cool. The Pokémon just looked good in this episode.

Speaking of Dageki, I wasn't actually that interested in Masaomi last week, but this week, I just loved the whole lovable bitch vibe he was giving off. Kenyan on the other hand left me kinda cold... again... feel free to make him interesting writers, cause even though he has no chance in hell of winning, I'm on Team Masaomi right now.

The one thing that actually bothered me about this episode is the battle between Cabernet and Iris. I loved the battle, but the outcome came off really cheap and felt like Cabernet was thrown under the bus to give Iris yet another undeserved victory. Cabernet and Futachimaru looked really good throughout the battle and not only did they matched Doryuuzu's power, but Cabernet outstrategized Iris not once but twice, with the Water Pulse geyser and letting Futachimaru take some hits to power up Revenge. So here you have a character that really wants it, that really cares, needs it more, that has improved drastically since her last appearance, that is litterally matching up the power of her opponent and outsmarting her, landing super effective hits, and yet... she loses? How? Oh yeah, by having Iris do the same tired old boring thing she always does which just using her utterly uninnovative "power through everything cause we're so invicible" approach. Still, I have no doubt Cabernet will be entertaining in the next two episodes and hopefully we'll see something to justify her being sideline, because that result was just utterly underwhelming. Also, Ice beam illicits no response from the cryophobic character? Really?

It's still a really good episode and really just again: Don Battle done right.

Quote Originally Posted by adyniz View Post
    In one of the scenes, Dewott's ears are missing.
    Poor Dewott XD
    Good God, Excadrill clawed Dewott's ears off!! Oh the humanity!!11

Yay, it's Meinshao's debut time! I hope it gets good enough cov--...Huh. I guess some debuts are more equal than others. (Simisear barely got anything as well in this episode, even though it's not a debut). Poor thing.

Oshawott used Baton Pass!
    ~Tumblr~Twitter~

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    So here you have a character that really wants it, that really cares, needs it more, that has improved drastically since her last appearance, that is litterally matching up the power of her opponent and outsmarting her, landing super effective hits, and yet... she loses? How? Oh yeah, by having Iris do the same tired old boring thing she always does which just using her utterly uninnovative "power through everything cause we're so invicible" approach. Still, I have no doubt Cabernet will be entertaining in the next two episodes and hopefully we'll see something to justify her being sideline, because that result was just utterly underwhelming. Also, Ice beam illicits no response from the cryophobic character?

It's still a really good episode and really just again: Don Battle done right.
    Here's hoping that after Excadrill gets its shit wrecked next week...Iris will, I dunno start to train other Pokemon other than Excadrill? Then again, probably nothing will change and Iris will probably continue to just get through attack, attack, attack with no kind of strategy whatsoever.

But anyway, I really enjoyed the character interaction this episode. Two episodes in, and we are already better than the first Don Battle fiasco. I don't know if I'd consider the episode better than last week, but it was close. I like the training with Scraggy, and Bianca was simply great. Masaomi is pretty cool, spying on Stephan and all.
    Last edited by Masurao; 23rd March 2012 at 05:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow Hitomi on Tumblr

My goodness, has Cabernet come far since her first spat with Dento. <3 Her use of strategy - attacking Doryuzuu underground with Water Pulse, using the shell to block Drill Run, taking damage to use Revenge - was a dramatic improvement. She had a ton more confidence in herself and Futachimaru, she was calm... loved it. And I don't recall if she had adopted Dento's finger-snapping thing when calling attacks in the Don Tournament or if it's a recent thing, but it made the shipper in me giggle regardless.

Speaking of Dento, I thought it was awesome how he was far more interested in how Cabernet was battling than Iris; it just shows how much he cares about her growth as a Sommelier and as a trainer. He was visibly impressed with her improvement, as was I. <3 I really think Cabernet deserved the win; her strategies were way more impressive and interesting than the same old "dodge and spam powerful attacks" schtick Iris and Doryuzuu used. She wanted the win more, that was obvious; she deserved it more after how her character has been treated thus far. I hope that she and Dento continue to have great moments in the rest of the tournament.

I don't know if it's just me, but Maosami's hair flicking and two-finger hand wave thing reminded me forcibly of how Shuu used to do like, exactly the same thing. xD And Maosami, sorry, but Daigeki's Bulk Up is waaaaay sexier than Nageki's Bulk Up.

Bel's bizarre obsession with Daigeki and Kenyan. Oh my gosh. Oh Bel you're a creeper. xD Have to say though, even though this has turned into her running gag, it is actually funny (in a creepy way) as opposed to her super obnoxious obsession with Zorua in the last tourney (that almost ruined her as a character for me).

The title should either have been "Steadily Progressing Donamite! Futachimaru vs Doryuzuu!" or "Steadily Progressing Donamite! Kirikizan Curbstomps Crimgan in like Twenty Seconds!" though. This series a habit of making the titular battles quite unimportant. xD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hitomi View Post
    My goodness, has Cabernet come far since her first spat with Dento. <3 Her use of strategy - attacking Doryuzuu underground with Water Pulse, using the shell to block Drill Run, taking damage to use Revenge - was a dramatic improvement. She had a ton more confidence in herself and Futachimaru, she was calm... loved it.
    She was just awesome and damn Futachimaru looked strong. I'm Team Bel v Cabernet in the League finals. XD

And I don't recall if she had adopted Dento's finger-snapping thing when calling attacks in the Don Tournament or if it's a recent thing, but it made the shipper in me giggle regardless.
    I think it was the same animation they used, though her glass of bubbly needs to make a return should her and Dent get into another sommelier battle. Come on, now it's not like it's Dent's friends battling in the finals, it's just Kenyan. Who cares if you have a sommelier showdown in between? XD

Speaking of Dento, I thought it was awesome how he was far more interested in how Cabernet was battling than Iris; it just shows how much he cares about her growth as a Sommelier and as a trainer. He was visibly impressed with her improvement, as was I. <3 I hope that she and Dento continue to have great moments in the rest of the tournament.
    I looooooved that Dent was just so into Cabernet's battle and kept talking about her. Damn you writers for making me interested in a het ship! XD

I really think Cabernet deserved the win; her strategies were way more impressive and interesting than the same old "dodge and spam powerful attacks" schtick Iris and Doryuzuu used. She wanted the win more, that was obvious; she deserved it more after how her character has been treated thus far.
    Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    where's Paul? he should see her, THAT's "tsukaenai yatsu" XD
    I'm assuming you mean "pathetic."

Cabernet was truly the highlight of the episode to me, the loss against Iris felt so cheap.

I love Cabernet and Langley's friendship and how crazily sexually obsessed they are with their rivals.

Cabernet and Dent are just making me so conflicted all the time xD Do I like sommeliershipping or cafemocha moreeee?

the same i've always been:
    mafia win/lose tally . vocal covers . ffn.net
    . ao3 . tumblr

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

-Iris yeah you rock & rule XD, she grabbed my favorite spot on the list of characters this episode. I thought that wink and thumbs up she gave before the battle was pretty cute :D Doryuuzu looked really cute and strong too. Doryuuzu blocking the Ice Beam using it's Steel Type resistance was pretty cool. AND DAT MIDAIR KIAI BULLET, reminded me of Rasengan. It gave me chills, it was too awesome. Seriously, Doryuuzu taking that Water Pulse in stride and staying stationary in the air with Iris using Kiai Bullet as a close range attack, kinda like how Zuruggu did against Yanakkie, to counter Shell Blade was a stroke of pure awesomery not only that but since Iris had Doryuuzu use the elevation to her advantage the force sent Futachimaru rocketing to the earth like a rag toy, Futachimaru was pretty beat up. Doryuuzu's reaction from losing his game of hide and go seek by Water Pulse and being sent into the air like that hilarious. Drill Lining the shit outta those hotachi was a smart move by Iris, no way Futachimaru was going to block that attack it actually reminded me of how Mijumaru only used his hotachi for special attacks. Dang did that Dig uppercut and final Drill Liner look fierce. I liked the final scene where Iris and Doryuuzu go buck wild over their win. XD Job well done, Aoi Yuki :P Oh, and Iris's snarky replies to Cabernet and Langley's talking was fun. I know how you feel Airisu-Chan, rivals certainly can be annoying XD I kinda wish Iris had used that moment with Futachimaru being separated from it's hotachi to her advantage kinda like how Yanappu did against Mijumaru. I'm kinda surprised Iris and Cabernet didn't throw dirt at each other especially after the Tasting.

-Cabernet and Futachimaru were great :D I liked seeing Revenge in the anime, better then seeing Rock Smash and Brick Break again. How funny is it that Cabernet's Futachimaru knows REVENGE, I guess Futachimaru is her Revintage now :P Revenge looked cool with it creating that thin layer of angry pissed off negative aura to hit Doryuuzu. I liked the scene where Cabernet commanded Shell Blade with her ONE finger looking bigger then her whole body nearly. XD The Water Pulse gusher was smart. Shell Blade looked nice as usual especially with the way Futachimaru ran it reminded me of samurai and Nobunaga's Ambition. I kind of wanted to see Water Oath over Water Pulse though. Ice Beam's new animation works a lot better then before, especially in the Kiai Bullet collision scene. I can't help but wonder what the heck Cabernet was thinking though with that dual hotachi protection against Drill Liner. Seemed really weird, I mean really? Who in their right mind uses hotachi to protect against physical attacks? I thought Satoshi's Mijumaru was the first to use this strategy since Dento mentioned it before, when did Futachimaru learn how to do this? It just seemed kinda whack to use hotachi to protect against a physical attack, and I know I'm harping on this quite a bit. Against Drill Liner especially since it's a DRILL, it's drilling into the hotachi, vibrating, applying force, as well as added pressure due to Doryuuzu pushing as well, and Futachimaru has to keep it's hands steady and unnerved to protect itself, it's pretty much a guaranteed failure. I facepalmed once more when she tried it a second time only for it to fail once more. I wish she had tried the hotachi to defend against Kiai Bullet, wtf why would she use Ice Beam on a Fighting move? Futachimaru and Cabernet fought a valiant battle, defiantly my favorite of all her battles in BW thus far. Futachimaru is my favorite of the Isshu starters so I'm glad to see it have a battle right compared to that train wreck called Ishizumai VS. Futachimaru with those Pokemon names in the title only for the whole thing to be one-sided. I wish the line didn't have such balls stats or I would use it competitively. I really really liked that scene where the samurai is sitting down feeling bad over it's loss and Cabernet goes over to comfort it really cute. Though I'm happy Iris won, I'm more elated Cabernet lost. I actually considered more fairly Cabernet possibly winning and thinking it might not be too bad, but that comment about her telling Iris to replace Doryuuzu pretty much dropped my support for the idea. Iris losing to Cabernet would have been a complete mockery of Iris and Doryuuzu's relationship making them and their development in the Drill Buster episode completely inconsistent, and it would have made Cabernet right. So Cabernet technically would have had her first correct Tasting in the show but for the wrong reasons.

-Langley she was great. DEVELOPMENT GALORE ;D I really liked how she was silently rooting for Iris and was concerned about Doryuuzu when he was struggling against Futachimaru. Not only that but, her scene with Cabernet and being all "BACK OFF SHE'S MINE!" made her look like a bad bitch, and Cabernet's scared face with Langley's sadistic smile was hilarious. I liked how she wanted Iris's attention when battling Grace and Crimgan. Talk about short, BTW. At least it was a good enough short battle with Metal Sound and seeing Dragon Tail a Gen 5 move in it, and seeing Langley do what she does. Bust Phineas and Ferb Dragons. I'm mainly happy her development from the last tourney stuck with her.

-Bel irritated me, way to break the flow of a awesome battle with her fawning over Zuruggu and for around two or less uninterrupted minutes as well. I did like her scenes with Kenyan though, and Enbour also looked adorable when looking at her running full speed to get to the arena. I thought Enbour was cute too. So, that makes up for it though I guess XD

-Kenyan and Masaomi, yeeeeeeeeeeeah :D I'm totally looking forward to the final bout between these two.

-Satoshi and Shuuti. Satoshi training Zuruggu? What's this? Training in my Best Wishes anime, glad for that :D Shuuti pointing it out and sort of constructive criticizing Satoshi in the same way he did for Mijumaru's Aqua Jet was great. Shuuti's reactions as well were hilarious.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 24th March 2012 at 08:58 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast