REVIEW: BW 067 "Fukiyose Gym Air Battle! Challenger Dent!?" Review Thread

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: BW 067 "Fukiyose Gym Air Battle! Challenger Dent!?" Review Thread

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default BW 067 "Fukiyose Gym Air Battle! Challenger Dent!?" Review Thread

Fukiyose Gym Air Battle! Challenger Dent!?

Animation - Team Kato
    Screenplay - Atsuhiro Tomioka
    Storyboard - Fumihiro Yoshimura
    Assistant director - Fumihiro Yoshimura
    Animation director - Takashi Shinohara

Satoshi and his friends have arrived in Fukiyose City! Satoshi learns that there aren't any free slots at the Gym until the afternoon, so he decides to go take a look at the morning battles to see what kind of Gym Leader Fuuro is. Much to their surprise, the outcome of these "Air Battles" is decided by the Gym Leader merely looking over one's pokemon and then running a simulation in her head to decide what the outcome would be! Dent is appalled that a Gym Leader could decide a match without actually battling and decides to challenge her himself.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Default Re: BW 067 "Fukiyose Gym Air Battle! Challenger Dent!?" Review Thread

Iwaparesu lost??!!!

Entertaining episode. I'm still kind of sad it wasn't Planes vs Trains but the reasoning of Fuuro just handing out the gym badges by sizing up opponents was an interesting angle. Dento had to defend the gym leader's honor, soooo good enough. The Dento vs Fuuro battle was....okay. By the timing in the episode that it began it was obvious it was going to be a short battle.

Overall, entertaining to watch. Fuuro is pretty adorable.

Kamiture in the LiveCaster? Are they trolling us orrrrr???
    Adyniz, Playerking and Krzysztof like this.

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

Really glad Dent lost here because if he would have won...

And this is Crustle's first ever loss in the whole show
    Afrojisiac-19 likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow guardian468 on Tumblr Visit guardian468's Youtube Channel

So Dento suffers a crushing defeat.
    Loved Iris' reaction to "ITS TASTING TIME!"
    Some cheap victories
    And they tried to hide Ash's choice of pokemon however the preview for the next episode pretty much spoils that.
    And Skyla is just awesome!

I think it was an ok episode in my opinion. Can wait to see next week's episode. :)

Blog Entries

Poor, poor Stunfisk..the thing has yet to get any wins. Cilan might as well just make Crustle his vintage, that thing seems to be the strongest on his team. Let something else get wins please?
    Last edited by Masurao; 23rd February 2012 at 06:05 AM.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Crustle's first loss perhaps, but it was still the only one to do any good, and it got 2 KOs! Someone on the writing staff must really love the Dwebble familly.

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Poor Dento.... Though, the writers handled the episode decently. Swanna's return and Dent's cockiness.... stole the spotlight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1329992494130.jpg  
    투 애니원 and Krzysztof like this.

Blog Entries

For those who questioned the purpose of this episode, one word: exposition. Basically, it was just to get a lot of dialogue covering the Fuuro backstory, introduce the problem, show some personality from Fuuro, so it can be out of the way and doesn't impede on Satoshi's Gym battle. That being said, that doesn't mean this wasn't a good episode. I actually loved it, because this episode had a lot of things going for it that are somewhat lacking in Best Wishes: uniqueness from Pokémon, layered characters, some strategizing in the battles.

Dent was just really personable, entertaining, and I was rooting for him. I liked the cockiness and the expressiveness before and after the battle. His "I just lost face" was priceless and got one of the biggest laughs out of me the entire saga. I liked that I couldn't tell who was gonna win the battle when I was watching it. Iwaparesu was just adorable when it was retreating in its shell all sad, and I gotta say, I really wasn't a fan of Dent getting Maggyo (because ugly design is ugly), but he's such an oddball and a lovable loser. He's strong and never looks bad winning, but I really want him to get that first win. Yanappu had some moments too. Also really really liked Satoshi in this episode. It really had some nice scenes in this episode and displayed some good personality. Another character that really worked was Fuuro, she was interesting because of her approach to battling, but also really likeable.

Battle wise, it was a OHKO fest at first but I liked the final battle. Interesting use of tactics on both sides. So, overall, I really liked the episode.
    투 애니원 likes this.

So it seems QR codes exist in the Pokemon world now...
    Playerking and rubinek like this.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I wonder if the QR code they showed on-screen actually works in real life?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion
    For those who questioned the purpose of this episode, one word: exposition. Basically, it was just to get a lot of dialogue covering the Fuuro backstory, introduce the problem, show some personality from Fuuro, so it can be out of the way and doesn't impede on Satoshi's Gym battle. That being said, that doesn't mean this wasn't a good episode.
    It seems like you're saying that if it isn't an episode with good battles, it isn't a good episode, period. And then there's this idea that backstory and personality can somehow "get in the way" of a gym battle?

I really could not disagree more.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You want to know what these "Air Battles" remind me of? Those simulation battles that were featured in that Pokemon School episode in early Kanto. In other words, Skyla simply compared pokemon with type advantages or disadvantages and decided that the pokemon with the type advantage will automatically win regardless of anything else, including differences in pokemon experience and movesets.

Either way, I believe that the best part of this episode is that we get to see all of these pokemon who have appeared little often in the series so far. It was also nice to see somebody else owning an Emolga and a Boldore other than the members of the main cast.

Also, it is about time that Crustle got its first loss in the series, even though he defeated two of Skyla's pokemon. I was starting to worry that it would be very overpowered considering its match record.
    martianmister likes this.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Anyone feel like Cilan was being a total idiot during the match?

Hello? Rock Tomb? Rock Slide?

Use your moves, you idiot....

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-san View Post
    Really glad Dent lost here because if he would have won...

And this is Crustle's first ever loss in the whole show
    Too bad it doesn't matter considering the fact that it was the only one to get a win. Two, even.

Blog Entries

Well, this really shows that Cilan has a ways to go to learn how to turn a disadvantage around, even though his pokemon were perfectly capable of beating Skyla's. What was it that Swanna did anyway? Can it endure Electric attacks? If so, I have no idea why she's so concerned about losing to type advantages. (I also find that hilarious since Swanna dies in one hit to Electric attacks in the game) Also, why exactly didn't she use the tactic she imagined? I'm sure she knows Stunfisk is Electric, so if she's afraid of type advantages, why did she think she could could confuse it? Was she confident over her advantages in the other matches that it didn't matter? Why didn't she confuse it like she thought, though? It seemed like a better idea than what she did, not to mention that using Water on Crustle was better, too.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

Dento reminds me loads of Brock in this episode. But whatever, it looks pretty decent, and it's nice we get some focus on Skyla rather than going straight into a battle with Ash.

Blog Entries

Dent, for fuck's sake.

Stunfisk is part electric, why couldn't you have just Discharged off the bat and fried that Swanna?

MFW ponies

Fishy Bubbles

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)