REVIEW: BW 066 "Afro GO! Buffron NO!!" Review Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: BW 066 "Afro GO! Buffron NO!!" Review Thread

Don
    Blog Entries

Follow Don on Tumblr

Default re: BW 066 "Afro GO! Buffron NO!!" Review Thread

Has anyone else noticed Iris-based episodes always seem to feature her helping out a Pokémon? Also I really like how we got an Iris centric episode before a Dent centric episode (aka; a calm episode before an exciting episode).

I was hoping an episode were everybody was wearing afros would have more humor, but it was a nice episode none the less. I remembered how much I love Iris's wilderness skills - she can even run up trees and jump from branch to brand like a ninja - it's what makes her stand out from the previous girls Satoshi traveled with.
    Yoshi-san likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

This episode was good, it wasn't anything award winning or to write home about. But, it entertained me for thirty minutes and made my day a bit better.

-Iris, you rock and rule. I liked her a lot in this episode, the worry over Kibago to the point of spilling tears was nice because that shows she cares for her little Kibago. I really liked that scene where she's tending to the hurt Buffron really endearing moment. The face she made while climbing that cliff was funny, the way she had her tongue out with that expression that said, "I totally got this." was hilarious. I liked her reaction to her afro and Tsutarja's stubborn behavior, very entertaining. I didn't picture her pulling a Satoshi and putting herself in front of Buffron's oncoming Wild Bolt, regardless it was nice.

-Tsutarja, yeah I still think the writers are making Tsutarja look stronger then she really is with Mero-Mero. But, in any case she was really good this episode. Her saving a sobbing dashing mess of a Kibago from Buffron was really cool, as well as her Vine Whipping the artificial afro over to Kibago. And being the guiding voice and formulating a plan to get the medicine plant, and her refusing the afro and grinning over Kibago's safety. Even though Pokabu and Mijumaru have had more battling development then her, she's still nice to see.

-Pokabu and Mijumaru were nice this episode. I always like it when Pokemon have a sibling dynamic like that, reminds me of Fushigdana and Zenigame from Kanto who were always friends and hanging out with each other. Pokabu's Flamethrower jet propelling Mijumaru to Shell Blade cut the plant off the cliff was pretty neat. I liked their afro reactions and seeing them go with the 'fro like that. As well as their embarrassment over Iris's secret about them fighting. When their faced down with the Buffron and Iris is hurt and their all staring the Buffron down, you just know shits about to go down and go down hard. Sadly, the other Buffron showed up and stopped them. But, it would have been awesome to see a starter trio vs. Buffron duo showdown. Tsutarja had her vines drawn, Pokabu was getting ready for some fire, and Mijumaru was ready to flush them in water and I really would have liked that action scene since I feel BW lacks in battles like these all-out type situations. What was up with Satoshi calling them "Mijumaru-Tachi", lol that's further proof the writers see Miju as the star of Satoshi's Isshu Pokemon. Why not Tsutarja-Tachi or Pokabu-Tachi? Because, Mijumaru's the star. He's still my favorite of Satoshi's Isshu Pokemon due to his personality, great development, training, and interesting battles. I could see him evolving and not evolving at least he's not a Pochama redux.

-Kibago, loved his antics hilarious. His crying when running from Buffron made me feel really bad for him. His fear over being caught by a sleeping Buffron, and stared down. And his playfulness with that wild Kurumiru poking it back and forth like that was cute.

-Other Pokemon. Emonga loving her afro, and getting upset over it being taken away was hilarity. Doryuuzu looked kinda funny in a crazy way. Zuruggu should've done more since it loses to Headbutt stuff it would've been perfect with a Buffron's afro, but I guess he chilled out a bit with his impulsive behavior. The Buffron and their pure ignorance over anything with a afro was hilarious and those faces, as well as the hurt Buffron were great. For a second I thought Iris would make that Buffron a member of her team.

PURPLE HERMIT! Chosen of Mana's Avatar Archives Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Chosen of Mana On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by My Twitter
    If the fandom hates the upcoming Bouffalant episode, all hope is lost.
    I'm done with this world.
    martianmister likes this.

Big claimin'
    Cresselia (Pokémon)
    Colette Brunel [Tales of Symphonia] and Yuri Lowell [Tales of Vesperia] (Video game characters)

Don
    Blog Entries

Follow Don on Tumblr

I just had a serious case of déjà vu from this episode.....

And one of them is loving it while the other seems unsure.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I just had a serious case of déjà vu from this episode.....
    Afros: Secret fetish of OLM.
    Don likes this.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 05308 View Post
    So do Crustle, Stunfisk and what ever other Pokemon Ash had with him not need to eat, at least its not the way it has been before, where only Pikachu, Oshawott, Tepig, Snivy and Axew ate.
    Yeah this was the first thing that got me with the group lunch shot at the start of the episode - where are Stunfisk, Crustle and Ash's 6th Pokémon in this? I've noticed things like that in previous episodes (when I randomly pick a number between 1 and 700 and watch that episode) and it really bugs me...

Beyond that, I did like this episode. I wish Joy had had a bit of a larger role just because it's nice to see her out-with the Pokémon Centers, but I'll take what I can get. I loved seeing Snivy being all mother-ish again - it's an awesome character trait, but I think it could be a hindrance in ways, but that's for another thread. Tepig and Oshawott... meh. I didn't enjoy their interactions and, I was watching a subbed version, when Ash asked Iris at the end if they caused her too much trouble, it felt to me like they were used to this type of behaviour from them, which I don't ever remember seeing beyond this episode at all. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something, but it felt random and forced and, especially the constant close-ups of them squishing their noses together, it felt like it was to fill time and sub-plot and nothing else.

I really wanted Iris to catch that Bouffalant she helped out - when it jumped in to the rescue, all I could picture in the next scene, when Iris and co. finally reunited with Ash and co., was Iris catching it (even though I knew it wasn't going to happen). Still, enjoyable episode overall.

//mahLOVE//mahLIFE//
    //mahART//
    Volcarona avatar made by myself

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 066 "Afro GO! Buffron NO!!" Review Thread

Why didn't they just beat the Buffalant up? Jesus christ. And Buffalant are so dumb as to trust someone based on their hairstyle seriously it just makes wild Pokemon look Ogrish and dumb.

But seriously why didn't they beat Buffalant up? That's what you do in the games and when ash's starters when going to fight a couple Iris tried to use diplomacy. Diplomacy should not a good option for everybody. And as some characters would be annoying if they tried to be the Angry video game nerd Iris is annoying trying to be Picard.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I came up with this idea while watching the episode with Croag: What if Nurse Joy trained the Bouffalant to attack people? In reality, she's an afro fetishist. She demands that everyone wears afros. So she made up the story of the boy with an afro, and trained the Pokemon to attack anything without an afro, so as to force people to wear them. (Judging by their sudden halts when seeing an afro, I assume Joy used pain to ingrain this message into the Bouffalant's heads.) She watched the tweprs from afar, studying their heads so as to have the perfect afros ready. With that done, she sent the Bouffalant attacking.

So in reality, most of what happened in this episode is because of Nurse Joy.
    MizuTaipu and martianmister like this.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    I didn't picture her pulling a Satoshi and putting herself in front of Buffron's oncoming Wild Bolt
    She didn't. She tried to leapfrog over it.

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

LinkBacks (?)