REVIEW: BW 066 "Afro GO! Buffron NO!!" Review Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BW 066 "Afro GO! Buffron NO!!" Review Thread

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default re: BW 066 "Afro GO! Buffron NO!!" Review Thread

As I expected, this episode was primarily focused on Iris's group of pokemon (Axew and Ash's three starters). Pikachu, Ash's Scraggy, Iris's two other pokemon, and Cilan's Pansage hardly contributed to the plot of the episode.

It was cute to see Emolga so vain of her afro. But I still don't understand how Bouffalant are so easily fooled by anything with an afro. What was the in-episode explanation?

Y Rotation Team

Blog Entries

No Tranquill.

Balls to this episode, then.

Ranma ½, Maison Ikkoku and now TORADORA! fan.

3DS FC: 2938-6903-6577

Blog Entries

Dear Oshawott: Stop being a douchebag! Anyway, for an episode that had so much potential to be silly, it's actually quite boring. I was about to write it off to character development, which it technically is, but it only makes me ask why Osha still has to be a douchebag.
    Step into the Fairy circle

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I liked this episode, actually. It was cute, we got a few funy scenes, and I'm glad Tepig didn't evolve yet. I just wish we got a little more Tepig focus. Or less starter 'mon focus, either one. You can probably guess what my favorite scene was.

Also, one of the fantasy trainers looked a bit like Brief from Panty and Stocking. But that's probably just me making that connection; I doubt a kid's show like Pokemon would actually make a reference to a seinen series like that.
    Team Fairy

Sprites from Serebii.net

Blog Entries
    Add L-05308 on Facebook
    Visit L-05308's Youtube Channel

So do Crustle, Stunfisk and what ever other Pokemon Ash had with him not need to eat, at least its not the way it has been before, where only Pikachu, Oshawott, Tepig, Snivy and Axew ate.

追放されたバカ

Good:
    Afro GO! Snivy Says NO!
    Excapomp. Like a Boss.
    Wild Charge by a Non-Electric Type!
    Oshawott vs. Tepig=future hints?

Bad:
    No Evo/capture/moves
    No plot
    No Stunfro
    No Shellfro on Crustle
    No Tranquifro/Swadfro/Krokfro/Boldfro/Palpifro
    Cilan is useless...
    No COTD
    Why are Bouffalant so gullible to Afros anyway?
    AHHHHH! Panty and Stocking reference in a children's show? Pervs...

Overall:2.2098765432101234567890, for comedy, but lack of the right kind, no plot, no development, and WTF? afro logic w/Nurse Joy and Bouffalant.

This Space For Rent DynoStretch's Avatar

The writers are truly masters of the mediocre when they can make an episode about the entire cast wearing afros to protect themselves from buffalo and make it boring.

It's a shame the group's Pokemon don't have like... attacks or anything they can use to protect themselves from any aggressive Bouffalant, potentially leading to exciting action scenes. All they have is attacks used to get healing plants for the standard critically-sick Pokemon so they can avoid any interesting conflict in the climax.

Snivy was awesome as usual, but Oshawott is becoming more and more obnoxious while Tepig is getting more and more generic. Would these suckers just evolve and get the usual "starter-evolution-defect" so they can actually develop?!

...sorry, I'm just a bit bitter since we didn't get Krokorok in an afro. >>'

Oh and since I'm completely unable to finish this post without an Excel Saga reference...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails afrono.jpg  
    The White Supremacy Alliance

- Shogun - Watt - Dharuma - Ectoplasm - Ragnorok - Balrog -

This episode was pretty much on par with those tedious Johto filler episodes from 10 years ago. Maybe slightly more entertaining, but not by much.

Chandelure Chao Super Chao Maniac's Avatar

Pansage's afro was so...unique...

I claimed Chandelure, Levitate,Horn Drill and Dusk Stone!

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If there was anything noteworthy about this episode, it was that it was one of the few times in this series when so many of the group's pokemon are shown with a lot of personality at once. Although the starter trio were the main focus of the episode, there were quite a few moments where Axew, Emolga, and even Pansage, were interacting with the characters and pokemon in this episode in fresh and unique ways.

Since we usually see Axew tucked up in Iris's hair, it was entertaining to see the pokemon try to avoid the wild Bouffalant in order to reunite with its trainer. Speaking of which, the scene where that wild Pidove pretended to befriend Axew in order to snatch the pokemon's first grass wig had to be the best part of the episode, imo!

There was also that scene near the beginning of the episode where Cilan scolds Emolga for wanting to eat apples instead of looking for Iris and the other pokemon. Emolga also seemed to love her pink wig, as she was very disappointed when Iris had to give it back to Nurse Joy near the end of the episode. There was also that moment near the middle of the episode where Pansage felt nervous when a wild Bouffalant began to inspect Ash, Cilan, and the pokemon that they had with them at the time.

Of course, the main focus of the episode was all about the starter pokemon learning to cooperate with one another in order to solve a common problem at hand, despite the tension that Oshawott and Tepig had throughout the story. Snivy was truly resorceful in this episode; the plan that she came up with for the pokemon to obtain the medicinal herbs up on the cliff could have given Ash's Noctowl, a pokemon notoriously known for its cunning behavior, a run for its money. She also saved Axew by quickly plucking a second shrub of grass from the ground and putting it on Axew's head. Tepig and Oshawott also learned to work together to make Snivy's plan succeed.

It was a decent episode, and I am glad that the writer of the episode devoted the time to provide the opportunity for these pokemon to convey their personalities outside of battle. I am also happy that Iris had the starring role in this episode, since she had to remain on the sidelines while Ash and Cilan took the screentime in recent episodes.

One last note: For those who hate it when Ash uses his Pokedex to look up data on pokemon that he has seen before in the series, he has done it again with Bouffalant in this episode.
    Last edited by Ampharos King; 18th February 2012 at 12:02 AM.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OK, I was wrong. This episode did disappoint. Not terrible, but a disappointment nonetheless. It just wasn't as fun as I expected it to be. The trainers and some of their Pokemon wearing afros was still amusing all the same though.

Straw Hat Babies! <3 Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Lulzy stuff:
    * Dent's afro, almost looked like Flint.
    * Emo's adorableness, don't wanna mess with the super model =P
    * Tsutarja's BIG SISSTAA attitude and multiple saves were a delight.
    * Doryuzu of course.

Enjoyed the episode, although I was waiting for Tepig to evolve the whole time. Especially, when the Buffron gang headed to attack the starters at the climax, it was the optimum time for Chaoboo to swoop in and save the day. OR . All three of them could have evolved together, you know, would have been a good surprise for some people. It's Best Wishes, you never know. But..... Bummer -___-

The episode had so much potential, too bad writers didn't do much about it.
    Last edited by Adyniz; 18th February 2012 at 02:13 AM.

CRUSH KILL DESTROY SWAG ~AwEsOmE sAuCe305~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well my thoughts on this episode wasn't really on what was I expecting, sure I get the whole everyone must wear afros to protect themselves from the Buffolant but it's just left a bad taste in my mouth. Usually we get episodes like Forest Grumps which is filled w/ action and humor, but don't get me wrong, there are some funny moments in this episode.But there wasn't anything interesting, like where's the action? By that i mean crazed buffaloes trying to attack everyone and when there's danger, there's bound to be evolution somewhere but nooooo.....>_> Since Tepig since to be somewhat involved in this episode, all he did was fought w/ Oshawott I cheered for the otter.>8D and they made up. Yeah okay, we can see that. I thought it was gonna be like the Shroomish Skirmish and maybe had the pig pull a Torchic as a to protect Oshawott from a raging bull and maybe evolve to be a sign of friendship?-____- Well enough of my negative whiny rant tho I wanted Tepig to evolve already to get it out the way....I'll list the highlights...

The good
    Snivy's refusal to wear an afro but had to wear it
    Excadrill w/ an epic pompadour 8D
    Oshawott and Tepig's teamwork, having Snivy to throw both Pokemon up to the cliff and have Tepig to use flamethrower downwards to make Oshawott rise towards the cliff w/ the plants.
    Emolga's liking for her afro.
    Iris and Kibago being reunited
    Dento digging the afro as well.XD
    Ash noticing about Iris's hair being an afro in the end

The bad
    No evolution for Tepig nor having to touch upon his development, writers I am disappoint....seriously I am.T__T
    No danger as in the gang gets chased by the Buffloant
    The fact that there isn't anything special.-___-

I'll give this episode a 6.5, normally I usually don't get worked up over episodes this saga as I'm trying to remain positive.>_> I cannot wait to see this in the dub..../sarcasm

Pinkie Pie: Best Pokemon Trainer

Nice ep, some Iris focus and some cute/funny scenes... I mostly liked the Tepig/Oshawott scenes, crazy Poké interactions are one of the best things in this show, that sadly BW don't give us enough of...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast