REVIEW: BW 042 "Decisive Don Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!" Review Thread - Page 5

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: BW 042 "Decisive Don Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!" Review Thread

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 042 "Decisive Don Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!" Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MizuTaipu View Post
    This is kinda controvesial, but are the writers trying to avoid racism by having Iris win the Don Battle? They made Satoshi lose to Aloe on his first try if anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muk-a-matic View Post
    @MizuTaipu, you are right. To avoid the wrath of Carol Boston Weatherfield and other "racism watchdogs with OCD and too much time on their hands", they did exactly that.
    This may be the first time I've heard the Pokémon anime accused of affirmative action. In all likelihood, nothing could be further from the writers' minds.

Japan just doesn't share these notions. Japan's population is overwhelmingly of one ethnicity. Race isn't anything like as controversial a subject because of this. That's not to say there isn't racism - there's plenty of that, mostly unchecked - but there isn't enough of an ethnically non-Japanese population to raise objections to it. Certainly, notions of affirmative action just aren't part of the mainstream consciousness.

Secondly, it may also be that Iris isn't perceived as being of a different race to the other characters. Aloe, sure, but in anime a dark skinned complexion of the kind Iris has is often simply indicative of an active, outdoorsy lifestyle.

If you feel that this was an undeserved victory for Iris, then fair enough. Personally, I think this was mainly an effort by the writers to present Iris as a more credible trainer, since Ash is likely to be battling her for the Legend Badge at some point in the future. But saying "Iris only won because she's (insert mystery race here)?" There's no basis for that, none at all.

And, at the risk of dredging up an age-old topic: Carole Boston Weatherford had a point.

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

I swear I'm the only one who's happy Iris won, lol. Though that's just me being biased. The battle could have been handled better. I would have liked it better if Iris hadn't won just by getting lucky.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I didn't like the battle. It's logical that Iris would win because of Excadrill's power and type advantage. But Pokemon and logic don't mix.
    Trainer Gabriel likes this.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

Dammit writers, stop screwing up Iris's character >:( Its really hard being an Iris fan.
    Yoshi-san and Krzysztof like this.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I hope Yoshihiko was watching his darling waifu win.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I may be in minority but im actually glad Iris won this tournament.Win over Ash Pikachu was legitimate with combination of focus blast and metal claw(if im not mistaken)being too much for yellow mouse to take it.Judging by all hard training and won battles Excadrill had under belt in past its not really surprising why Iris manage to win whole thing.

Battles for itself were pretty intense and it was interesting seeing Axew use outrage.

Sure there wasnt struggle going for Iris character but im for once glad we saw someone going all way through not having crushing defeats for a change with whole win being testament to Iris skills and experience she gathered over the years when battling on side to side with her mole.
    Certainly breeze of fresh air compared to usual rinse and repeat "character enters something,he pathetically loses and lose self esteem".

Beside i cant see why there is whole fuss about it when development of Iris is not supposed to happen through her skills as trainer but in becoming able to understand pokemon feelings properly becoming better and more understanding as person.

It seems Iris is second girl after Misty who beat Ash in tournament.

Excadrill est tres Beast Lafayette Excadrill's Avatar

How is winning a tournament screwing up Iris's character? It may ruin other people's on this thread opinion of her but that has nothing to do with her story or the way her character is handled one bit. It is not character derailment, that's just other people's opinion that won't affect how the anime goes at all.
    Bubble Frog likes this.

Blog Entries

Darumaka is down in mere seconds. Hydro Pump'll do that. Check out how proud Palpitoad looks!

Bianca's holding the camera. Luke, you need to be more choosy as to who holds your camera. Ash almost lost the thing last week! With Bianca, it just seems like an accident waiting to happen, ya know?

Anyway, Golett and Axew are ready to roll! Well, at least it's not Ash making the Normal-type mistake against a Ghost-type this time. Bring out the Dragon Rage!

Double Team. Bugger. Shadow Ball vs. Dragon Rage doesn't end well for Axew and Outrage doesn't end well for Golett. By the way, Axew suffering from the side-effects afterwards is a nice touch. Game-accurate, too! D'aww, lookit Axew all snuggly in Iris' arms.

Bianca really thinks she has a chance with Zorua, eh? Oh. Oh, the dressing up! Zorua's got one great 'the fuck is this shit?' face.

To finish off the night, some of Cilan's finest! But wait! Guess who's interrupting dinner? Is it a telemarketer? A wrong number? No, it's Burgundy! Cilan, be careful not to say anything that'll come back to bite you on the keister, Luke's filming.

We interrupt this interruption to give you Kenyan, brought to you by Hilariously Awkward-Looking Scenes Inc.

Rockets on a Ferris wheel. Uh-huh, that's nice. Come back next episode, 'kay?

Okie-dokie, the next day. Ooh, Burgundy's spittin' fire at Kenyan. Keep up the good work! Zorua looks mighty cheery. Probably because Bianca's not on her case. For a few fleeting moments, that is. Love how Bianca looks angry when the camera's on her. "Bianca, what are you doing with my Zorua?" "Nothing incriminating!"

Now we have Burgundy and Cilan sparkling in tandem, with a glass of wine to boot. Niiice! Although, uh, Cilan? James called. He wants his rose back. Or did Drew call? Eh, one of 'em. On that note, I recall seeing art on Pixiv of a Cilan and Drew outfit swap, but I digress.

Last battle, Pikachu uses...Thunderbolt. Iris' face says it all. The writers couldn't pass up on a chance for Ash to hit an elemental immunity, could they? Le sigh...

That Drill Run? I guess so. Quick Attack does diddly-squat and Pikachu ends up with his tail in Excadrill's claw. Iron Tail does seem to do something, but not enough.

Mmkay, here we go. Focus Blast and Electro Ball. They cancel each other out in a colourful display. Sure beats the stock-standard explosion and dust cloud any day of the week.

More hits are exchanged, until one last Focus Blast... Iris and Excadrill hug, Axew joins in. Group hug!

That battle epic enough for you, Don George?

Sunset now, words are exchanged and that's that!

Dangan Ronpa avatar and sig pic by me. Bases from here.
    3DS Friend Code: 1177-7801-6992. Friend Safari is Psychic with Abra, Espurr and Xatu. If you add me, let me know!
    Me on LiveJournal

Blog Entries

This tournament might have been okay if it wasn't so blatantly designed for Iris to win, and things magically seemed to pave the way for her ultimate victory. They gave her way too many perks for my taste.
    Last edited by Masurao; 11th August 2011 at 12:45 PM.

Well for once I'd rather see a character who has her stuff together and actually knows what she's doing and not have to lose just because shes a main character. A refreshing change of pace.
    Kaitou Kid and Reivaxe like this.

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

Well, she only has her stuff together because of convenient plot device magic, glorification, and cheap victories. As opposed to, you know, actual development. Or struggle. Or conflict. Or build-up.

It's just sad because the actual battle of Pikachu vs. Doryuuzu was legitimate.

I respectfully disagree because I found everything to be legit, except for the Axew battle, but i'm sure that will be explained or resolved later. I always found Emolga to be obediant, just lazy. Anything else?

And what cheap victory?

Blog Entries

I'm sorry, but Emonga having her long established quirk randomly dropped, Axew learning a new move at the last moment, and giving her the biggest advantage ever in the finals really isn't good storytelling. It just shows that the writers wanted her to win so they magically dropped two of her Pokemon's issues, and gave her a massive advantage by type in the final round. All these battles honestly over in this tournament, just kinda felt empty....
    Last edited by Masurao; 11th August 2011 at 01:40 PM.

It entertained me so i'm pleased :-P that's the point of the show so they're doing the job right.

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

I hear you guys about how Iris's win was cheap. It was. There was no build-up to it whatsoever; her win was purely based on luck and frankly, it was poor writing. However, I can't bring myself to really care. In the end, it's just a cartoon, and I'm not going to waste my time bitching about what could have been. I'm an Iris fan, a huge one at that, and I'm happy that she won. Am I happy about how she won? No, I'm not. But I'm not going to let it ruin my opinion of her, nor the show in general.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast