REVIEW: BW 029 "The Monmen in Love Rides the Wind!" Review Thread - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 117

Thread: BW 029 "The Monmen in Love Rides the Wind!" Review Thread

  1. #91
    Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Straight Outta Africa
    Posts
    3,178

    Default re: BW 029 "The Monmen in Love Rides the Wind!" Review Thread

    The problem is that we don't know what TR's doing at the moment, and it doesn't help that we don't know the circumstances surrounding the end of BW024. Before the two parter they were like doing missiony stuff. They don't seem to be doing that any more, and since the writers don't seem to want to write them out completely until missiony stuff starts up again, they've just gone back to their generic pre-BW stuff which everyone was happy to see them out of. The missiony stuff wasn't really terribly compelling, but we knew it was building up to something. Them trying to steal a bunch of weak cottonballs doesn't really seem to build up to much.

  2. #92
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default re: BW 029 "The Monmen in Love Rides the Wind!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Well, what makes it different from pre-BW "TR steals pokemon" plots is their lack of personality ("BW Rockets"). I think that's why you began to be annoyed by them...
    But it has to lead somewhere, serve a purpose, which is my point. When they appeared in episode where they served no purpose in the past when they had their personality, it annoyed me and other people.

    Let's take a more recent episode for comparaison. BW030. No problems with the Rockets in that episode. Why? Because they're presence actually moved the plot. They're the reason the gang means Crimgan, they force Emmy to put the stuff she learned into practice, showing some lovely developpement for Emmy.

    Here, they don't do that. I'd have nothing against them stealing Monmen if that event actually showed the Monmen becoming more assertive, catching the eye of his beloved, but here, it doesn't.

  3. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    484

    Default re: BW 029 "The Monmen in Love Rides the Wind!" Review Thread

    I enjoyed this filler episode, minus Team Rocket who had no explanation or reason of capturing these flying cotton ball Pokemon.

    I enjoyed how well Ash trained Monmen and its progress. Now if only he gives time like this for his other followers, mostly Oshawott due to Aqua Jet. Unfortunately the only BS decision writers come up with for Ash to train harder is if he loses.

    A somewhat recycled plot with beautiful animations (mostly at the end) and Ash's involvement in this episode, not ignoring the rest, made this a great episode.
    People cannot protect their precious ones only with kindness. I am prepared to protect my important friends. Even if I will be called the devil! There's no way you can win, when you don't have bond with friends.

  4. #94
    Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,224

    Default re: BW 029 "The Monmen in Love Rides the Wind!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Let's take a more recent episode for comparaison. BW030. No problems with the Rockets in that episode. Why? Because they're presence actually moved the plot. They're the reason the gang means Crimgan, they force Emmy to put the stuff she learned into practice, showing some lovely developpement for Emmy.
    Main audience likes them and writers did acknowledge this...It's look like a necessary cause for me. TR doesn't need to complete some subjective goals for appearing these episodes. They doesn't need extra reasons for appearing in this episode as well.

    Here, they don't do that. I'd have nothing against them stealing Monmen if that event actually showed the Monmen becoming more assertive, catching the eye of his beloved, but here, it doesn't.
    I would prefer this episode to a remake of "Bye Bye Butterfree"...
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

  5. #95
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default re: BW 029 "The Monmen in Love Rides the Wind!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Main audience likes them and writers did acknowledge this...
    Your argument makes no sense. If the audience likes them, then all the more reason to give them something to do and make them relevant, make them interact more with the gang and each other... This wasn't an example of the writers giving the audience the Team Rocket they love, this is just lazy writing.

    I would prefer this episode to a remake of "Bye Bye Butterfree"...
    So we should have this episode be a remake of every original series filler in regards to Team Rocket instead?

    Plus, I don't remember any training done or any interacting with Ash's pokémon in Bye Bye Butterfree. I also strongly remember Butterfree being in possession of Ash when this episode started...

  6. #96
    MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Olivine Lighthouse
    Posts
    4,746
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default re: BW 029 "The Monmen in Love Rides the Wind!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    So your brilliant argument against my opinion that they were useless in this episode is that they were useless...

    ...I just don't get your point here.
    I wasn't arguing that TRio was "useless" in this episode. I was arguing your apparent surprise that TRio had been forced into this episode to make up for the screentime. Your reaction suggested that something like this hadn't happened before, even though it clearly did in around 90% of the episodes in every series. TRio was shoehorned in almost everything.

    Why should this have been any different?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    The counterpoint is: If your gonna add TR to fill time, make them a critical part of the main plotline so that the plotline fills your 22 minutes. Don't just shove them in there as an irrelevant and purposeless break in the plotline that serves no purpose.
    What else would you expect TRio to do in an episode that primarily involved one or two pokemon, with no supporting characters to fill in any gaps whatsoever? Hmm...

    It is not like they have any missions from Giovanni that will get them distracted elsewhere...

    You're acting as if this hasn't been done before... I guess when the fans are weaned off of something for so long, it is going to be harder to get them back on it.

    The Cottonee episode was basically something that could have been solved in 10 minutes. There was only so much the writers could insert to keep it interesting... There was only so much the writers could do to "spice" up an episode by including one or two more of the groups's pokemon. We had no supporting characters like Bianca or Kenyan to keep this episode afloat without TRio's presence. Giovanni hasn't given them any orders to keep their presence as far away from this main plot as possible.

    I personally enjoyed the episode and I didn't mind that TRio was included. Their presence only made up at the most 2 minutes of what could have simply been Ash and co. staring at the Cottonee eloping for a bit longer. Those 2 minutes would not have made any real difference as far as the execution went, with or without TRio.
    Last edited by Ampharos King; 30th April 2011 at 07:35 PM.

  7. #97
    It's Fishing Time~ JennaJayfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The town where Celebi appears
    Posts
    517
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default re: BW 029 "The Monmen in Love Rides the Wind!" Review Thread

    The one good thing about TRio's attack was we got to hear the ending credits music again! ^_^

  8. #98
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default re: BW 029 "The Monmen in Love Rides the Wind!" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos King View Post
    You're acting as if this hasn't been done before...
    No I'm not. Never once in this thread have I said that or said hinted that it had never been done before. In fact, I've even said it had.

    It's happened before and it was bad then, it's bad now.

    The Cottonee episode was basically something that could have been solved in 10 minutes.
    Tip to the writers: Your episodes last 22 minutes, write plots accordingly.

  9. #99
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    84

    Default re: BW 029 "The Monmen in Love Rides the Wind!" Review Thread

    Wow, another filler, man i thought it's going to be a non-filler seasons...

  10. #100