REVIEW: BW 029 "The Monmen in Love Rides the Wind!" Review Thread - Page 4

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BW 029 "The Monmen in Love Rides the Wind!" Review Thread

amazing Meron's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Meron On Twitter

Default re: BW 029 "The Monmen in Love Rides the Wind!" Review Thread

Finally saw it, a very cute episode... Loved the animation! The twerps were adorable and Rockets were well-written IMO.

And hooray for Woobat finally being in Ookido's Livecaster. <3
    Last edited by Meron; 30th April 2011 at 05:34 AM.

y team

Blog Entries

- I liked how the progress that Kibago has made so far was shown in the battle with Zurrug.

- Especially like Monmen sounding a bit like a sheep. Maybe they might keep this up for animal-like Pokémon?

- I loved how worked up Zurrug was getting, and how it couldn't even reach the Monmen xD

- Dent being so intrigued about finding the Monmen love is pretty funny, but the other Monmen attacking it as a rejection is cruel xD

- I think its great that Satoshi choose to use Zurrug when helping the Monmen get practice, as while I like the practice battles that it has with Kibago, variety is always better in my opinion. Teaching Monmen to dodge was pretty cute as well.

- Satoshi said "ii kanji" :D

- I didn't mind the Rocket Dan stealing the Monmen as it was quick and simple. Pretty glad they didn't use the DP Motto theme like they did a few episodes ago. Hatohbo being used, and no blast off made me smile.

- The exaggerated scene of the Monmen with the loving faces and Dent's expression afterwards was hilarious!

I thought was a good episode. It wasn't as exciting as some of the previous ones in Best Wishes, but I thought it had some nice moments.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alypkm View Post
    actually I didn't like the episode
    this episode proves that old boring team rocket are back
    they tried to capture cottonee and they failed that was "very exacted"
    in the next episode they will try to capture elgyem and they will FAIL again -__-' whats the deference now between new and old team rocket ? the goofines and that they escape instead of blasting off ?

I WANT TO SEA TEAM ROCKET SUCCESS IN CAPTURING A POKEMON even for a one time !!
    It's never going to happen unless it's a capture for them...

Quote Originally Posted by Eitaroo View Post
    It's never going to happen unless it's a capture for them...
    just WHY?? this makes the show so boring and repeated,whats the problem if team rocket manage to steal some pokemon ?!?
    we know what will happen every time team rocket tries to capture a pokemon,I guess they better remove them from the anime,or at least do something else other than stealing pokemon.

********PIKACHU I LOVE U************

Blog Entries

Let's not go into a debate about what the Rocket Dan do or don't do on a general basis, but stick to what they did do in this particular episode. Thank you.

fast forwarded through the episode; glad I did. saved me 15 minutes of my life.

where the hell is all the action and all the good music?

the show really has rapidly gone downhill since the end of D/P.

Blog Entries

Kinda feeling meh about this episode. I'm kinda not feeling them spending more time on training a wild monmen than they do training their own pokémon, but whatever...

Good points

+ Zuruggu is just the cutest thing ever! It had a few moments where I found it hilarious in this episode and others that it just looked really cute.
    + Dento might not have had as much focus as I'd like but whenever he was on screen, he was hilarious. I love how overly-excited he got, especially at the end when his voice went really high :D Plus, he played medic, and sent out Ishizumai and Pansage so he wasn't just there to spice things up.
    + Ash. Now, it's rare that I praise Ash as something that really contributes to an episode, but in this case, his obliviousness was hilarious and his commitment to helping that Zuruggu just made him really endearing. I was reminded why he's the hero and why we follow his adventure.
    + Good animation

Bad points

- The Kibago v Zuruggu battle at the begining. They're getting repetitive and boring in my opinion, because what made the "rivalry" interesting in BW017 was the interaction between the two and they're not interacting. Plus, we don't see Ash and Iris working on them individually so... it felt like a band-aid moment in a it's gonna painful but brief, so let's get it over with fashion. In this case, I felt it was a crutch. The writers could have had Ash working alone with Zuruggu, trying to teach him a new attack, attack that would have been developped through the episode and mastered at the end...
    - The Monmen wasn't really super personable. I didn't really care if he ever got his mate or not.
    - Team Rocket felt shoehorned in there for no reason, again I felt the writers were using them as a crutch to move the episode along, more than anything else.
    - Zuruggu should have learned a new move.

Overall, not a good episode, not a bad episode, but a meh episode.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was a mellow episode that included some elements of Bye Bye Butterfree, the shiny Donphan episode, and the Paras episode back in the original series. Scraggy, Iris, and Cilan added some spice to this otherwise rehashed episode and actually made it very interesting. Instead of merely helping the pokemon to impress its mate by setting up something beforehand, Ash and co. decided to train this pokemon so that it was powerful enough to find a mate.

Cottonee's primary issues included not controlling Energy Ball and not being able to dodge attacks. Once Cottonee was exposed to battling numerous opponents, it learned how to dodge attacks and to increase its speed. Ash and Axew also helped it to control Energy Ball.

The second half of this episode was better. Cilan tries his best to find the wind patterns on his computer, whereas Iris had already used her natural sense to detect the wind's direction moments before. TRio decides to capture the Cottonee themselves, and had access to more powerful technology which allowed them to discover where the Cottonee would be situated. Indeed it was not Tranquill that stopped TRio this time. All of the Cottonee combined broke free out of the bag, and TRio escaped before their truck collided with a giant boulder.

Indeed Cottonee was able to win back its love by defeating two rival Cottonee with the training that it received from Ash and co.

All of the Cottonee knew the same attacks: Razor Leaf, Energy Ball, Cotton Guard, and Stun Spore.

Cilan also says "Best Wishes" when the Cottonee take their leave on the Diamond Breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    The Kibago v Zuruggu battle at the begining. They're getting repetitive and boring in my opinion, because what made the "rivalry" interesting in BW017 was the interaction between the two and they're not interacting. Plus, we don't see Ash and Iris working on them individually so... it felt like a band-aid moment in a it's gonna painful but brief, so let's get it over with fashion. In this case, I felt it was a crutch. The writers could have had Ash working alone with Zuruggu, trying to teach him a new attack, attack that would have been developped through the episode and mastered at the end...
    It is clear that Ash and Iris both wish to train their pokemon, but right now they are incredibly weak. Ash knows that Scraggy's attacks won't hurt any pokemon and decides to battle Axew so that he could slowly accumulate that experience and to get used to battling.

Axew also needs a partner that is able to compete on his level. Even though Axew was able to master Dragon Rage back in BW030, he is still a fragile pokemon and is not used to battling. Axew got slightly better with using Dragon Rage and Scratch in this episode, but can he fight on the level with a powerful pokemon like Cilan's Pansage or even Pikachu?

Remember that the Cottonee was also a weak pokemon that could not even launch an Energy Ball properly. Both Ash and Cilan knew that if Cottonee was paired up to battle a pokemon like Tepig or Snivy, it would not be able to learn how to dodge or to master its attacks. By pairing it up with Scraggy or Axew, not only are they helping it hone its battle skills by fighting an opponent on its level, but Axew and Scraggy are also fighting a new opponent to hone their skill. Scraggy's Headbutt actually did some mild damage on that Cottonee. Ash and co. are hitting two birds with one stone through this training method.

It is not always the most powerful pokemon that is interesting, and according to that old saying, a journey is much more important than the destination.

The writers have also explicitly mentioned that it is not a good idea to rush something like this. Once Axew and Scraggy do end up becoming more powerful and their problems are solved, they will be ignored almost completely.

For example, if Scraggy learned a new move in this episode completely out of nowhere and was able to hurt a pokemon with that move, it would feel ridiculous. The writers wanted to establish that Scraggy was a weak pokemon that could not damage anything with his attacks. What good will that be if the writers caved in and gave Scraggy a powerful attack, then seeing there would be no need to give him this additional screentime, and left it alone for a few dozen episodes?

There is no reason to rush something that could very well last 3-4 years. We do not know how long it will be until the Unova League, or even the next gym for that matter.

Call it repetitive, but it was hardly a "rivalry." Scraggy was just in a bad mood and could not trust anybody after he hatched from his egg. Scraggy wanted to prove that he was powerful, but was disappointed that he couldn't. As a kind-hearted pokemon, Axew wished to befriend it, but Scraggy kept attacking it and/or ignoring it because he was in such a bad mood. Axew got a little angry after that. Scraggy learned to warm up to the groups's pokemon after seeing what his trainer and the rest of the pokemon would do for him when he went off to fight some wild Galvantula alone.

Scraggy and Axew did not have any problems after that, once Scraggy began to trust the group.
    Last edited by Ampharos King; 30th April 2011 at 09:29 AM.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

in the next episode they will try to capture elgyem and they will FAIL again -__-' whats the deference now between new and old team rocket ? the goofines and that they escape instead of blasting off ?
    Well, they are soulless robots now. And their pre-BW personalities are nearly gone by now. That's something fresh and different...

Interesting idea. I would like to see them with captured Pikachu for several episodes...

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    The Kibago v Zuruggu battle at the begining. They're getting repetitive and boring in my opinion, because what made the "rivalry" interesting in BW017 was the interaction between the two and they're not interacting.
    What "rivalry"? Zuruggu's hitting him doesn't make them rivals. Kibago think him as a "brother", not a rival...

Team Rocket felt shoehorned in there for no reason, again I felt the writers were using them as a crutch to move the episode along, more than anything else.
    Well, it would be them or some other crazy pokemon with a forced reason to attack Monmen...

Overall, not a good episode, not a bad episode, but a meh episode.
    I'm surprised you didn't say anything about their equal screentime.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Well, they are soulless robots now. And their pre-BW personalities are nearly gone by now. That's something fresh and different...

Interesting idea. I would like to see them with captured Pikachu for several episodes...

their personality change doesn't effect the plot much,its something like the outfit change that happens every generation.

and I did mean that I want team rocket to steal pikachu exactly,but I guess that's a good idea,imagine team rocket steal pikachu and sent it to the boss and ash keep searching until he finds team rocket hide out and he battle the grunts and may be Giovanni him self,this will take about 3 episode.....interesting.
    but I mean that they steal some wild pokemon and give them to the boss.

********PIKACHU I LOVE U************

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos King View Post
    tl;dr
    Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    What "rivalry"? Zuruggu's hitting him doesn't make them rivals.
    Sarcasting air quotes, look it up. :P

What I meant is that right now, these sparring matches are neither entertaining nor are they really doing much of anything as far as progressing Kibago and Zuruggu. And they pretty much follow the same formula each and every time... The same time could still be used on Zuruggu and Kibago but differently.

Kibago think him as a "brother", not a rival...
    Actually, Kibago doesn't seem to think much of anything at all about Zuruggu and Zuruggu doesn't seem to think much of anything of Kibago because they have been interacting beyond BW017.

Well, it would be them or some other crazy pokemon with a forced reason to attack Monmen...
    Actually, why have them or some other crazy pokémon at all in this episode? The plot didn't call for an antagonist beyond the other two monmen, TR's presence didn't trigger a change in attitude of the swirly forehead Monmen... it had no impact on the episode, so why have it?

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kairyu View Post
    fast forwarded through the episode; glad I did. saved me 15 minutes of my life.

where the hell is all the action and all the good music?

the show really has rapidly gone downhill since the end of D/P.
    Have you missed the last couple of episodes?

Blog Entries

....Jessie's Yanma, perhaps?

Anyways, opinions:
    -Damn, Axew has gotten A LOT stronger since it mastered Dragon Rage. You can tell by the look in his eyes that he's getting serious and more ready to evolve. Even his scratch looks painful.
    -Poor Scraggy. Now that his training partner is much stronger now, he doesn't stand much of a chance against any of the group's Pokemon. Should have learned a move here.
    -Cottonee was simply adorable. Definitely like it more than I used to.
    -The writer's REALLY don't care about Tranquill, do they? They don't even show it being recalled when used the second time.
    -It seems that every second Iris isn't battling, she's eating fruit. That's just cool.
    -Cilan was just Fab in this episode.
    -Huh, recycled motto. Makes since seeing how high-quality these mottos look.
    -Team Rocket still blasts off........just with actual Rockets!

Overall, fun episode. Definitely a better filler than I thought it would be.
    GAME OVER
    RETURN OF GANON

Yeah, Jessie's capture of Yanma is the closest to them stealing a Pokemon for good.

I think we could of done without Team Rocket in this episode, but maybe that's just me.

Blog Entries

Anyone else notice the Route 3, Royal Unova, and Ending Credits music from the games? Don't think we've heard any of those three tracks before. Nice.

Nice epsiode. Loved the Cottonee, and seeing Axew being stronger than Scraggy was.... fun.
    Kanto's Route 23 doesn't exist in the Johto games!

My ideas for a more game-faithful Best Wishes! series.

The Jewel Party

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast