REVIEW: BW 016 "Shippou Gym Rematch! Explosive New Move!!" Review Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BW 016 "Shippou Gym Rematch! Explosive New Move!!" Review Thread

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default BW 016 "Shippou Gym Rematch! Explosive New Move!!" Review Thread

BW 016 "Shippou Gym Rematch! Explosive New Move!!"
    Satoshi faced off against Aloe in a gym battle to earn his second badge. However, he was defeated by his opponents' combination of "Roar" and "Mean Look." Wanting revenge for his loss, a fired-up Satoshi heads to the Battle Club to receive special training from Don George. Of course, the pokemon being trained are Pokabu and Mijumaru! First, Pokabu trains to dodge Yorterrie's "Shadow Ball," an intense technique that Satoshi had underestimated before. Next, Mijumaru trains to swim against the current in a pool inside the Battle Club. After learning some new techniques, the two pokemon accompany Satoshi to the Shippou City Gym for a rematch! However, the battle against the veteran opponent has an unexpected development...
    Last edited by Musashi; 24th May 2011 at 06:19 PM.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on July 21st, 2015

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

Default Re: BW 016 "Shippou Gym Rematch! Explosive New Move!!" Review Thread

Does the way Ash treats this egg bother anyone else? I feel like with all the other eggs we saw a bunch of them. He just kinda leaves it somewhere and they spend the last minute of each episode reminding us that he has it.

Also, pretty lackluster episode to be forever remembered as the first episode in pretty much the history of the show without TR.

Anyone who dared hinting that this terrible new direction was somehow positive for the Rockets just got a rude awakening.
    So.

Blog Entries

Talk about a quick rebound though it was still a close one. Looks like Mijumaru needs some more practice with that new move of his. I’m really loving these Don George training sessions since it’s a whole new twist on training other than having to battle against a fellow traveling companion. Also I guess it was true about team rocket not appearing in this episode, I certainly felt their absence.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

The new moves learned, for those of you wondering, were Aqua Jet (Mijumaru) and Nitro Charge (Pokabu).
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on July 21st, 2015

Blog Entries

With an episode that tried to fit a training session and Gym Battle in one, not having the Rockets worked quite well - considering their appearance in every (successful) DP Gym Battle was entirely pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Anyone who dared hinting that this terrible new direction was somehow positive for the Rockets just got a rude awakening.
    Sorry, but I still think the Rockets are heading in a very positive direction. There was really no need to keep shoehorning them into an episode each week.

I thought the battle and training were pretty enjoyable, if rushed. But we knew going in this wouldn't get the time it really deserved. Kibgo's antics really helped make up for it though.

The Rockets not being there certainly was... strange. But it wasn't quite as weird as I thought it would be. Still, strange to see the end of an era of sorts. I assume this will just be the first of their many absents from this series.

The Rockets not appearing in this ep is probably a hint that they will leave after this saga.

Battle was cool. Tepig staring instead of Oshawott was cool too.

Blog Entries

This episode was fairly awesome. Training wasn't only a short few minutes and the battle lasted pretty long for a 2 on 2.

Once I saw Haderia using roar, I knew that Tepig and Haderia was going to be the final match, and I liked knowing that ahead of time.

Shame Oshawott didn't really get handle on Aqua Jet, it could've at least hit once without knocking itself out. What did Miruhog do to Oshawott, anyway?

And I'm glad Tepig got to star here. I'm thinking that it might be a recurring theme, where we'll see the star of one gym be in the next, assuming of course that doesn't mean Pidove/Hatobo will be in the 4th gym, because ouch.

Anyway no Team Rocket was surprising, but oddly enough I wasn't too affected, because this shows that Pocket Monsters can survive without them. Of course that means less evolutions, but I probably won't be too affected if next gen, Ash is the only one to go on, since wow, no Team Rocket.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ash VS Aloe
    - Tepig VS Haderia. Tepig and Haderia battle for a while, until Haderia uses Roar to send Tepig back to its ball for Oshawott. Aloe returns Haderia and calls out Miruhog.
    - Oshawott and Miruhog knocked each other out. Oshawott had difficulty controlling Aqua Jet at first.
    - Tepig VS Haderia, again. Haderia's Protect prevents Tepig from using Ember on it. Haderia uses Shadow Ball, a move Tepig was supposed to train to dodge at the Battle Club. Tepig had difficulty dodging it at first. It uses Nitro Charge and clashes with Haderia's Giga Impact. At the end of the clash, Haderia is defeated.

The battle, more or less, felt rushed. It seemed to me that Haderia and Miruhog, despite clearly having more experience, were defeated after a few hits. Nevertheless, Ash had to win his badge anyway and did so with the little amount of training his pokemon had.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

The training Ash did with his Pokemon was adorable. I like seeing people bond with their Pokemon.

Is that a new ending theme song? I don't like it was much as I like the last ending theme, but I'm sure I'll love it once I get used to it.

Blog Entries

It's the next verse of the same song.

Wait, they changed the ED song to a later part of the full version?.... (didn't watch it, just read the posts here)
    And TRio really didn't appear... wow... not even a non-speaking 1 second cameo?

Quote Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post
    With an episode that tried to fit a training session and Gym Battle in one, not having the Rockets worked quite well - considering their appearance in every (successful) DP Gym Battle was entirely pointless.
    Agreed. This episode would have been rushed with Team Rocket so I'm glad they weren't necessary for an episode status quo.

-Okay, so the training was as expected. Pokabu learned Nitro Charge while Miju learned Aqua Jet, though he can't control it well yet. I'm not exactly sure what the point of Kibago messing with Miju's training was outside of offering more silly shenanigans but, maybe it's foreshadowing that he's actually in the episode next week.

-I lol'ed at Miju being all happy that he found water to swim in.

-Now, the gym match. I figured Mijumaru and Pokabu would sweep the battles, but Aloe did not make it easy for Satoshi to win. Miruhogg was completely out-classing Mijumaru and if it wasn't for Aqua Jet, he probably would have won again. Mijumaru didn't even win, it was a double knock-out which I did not see coming.

-However, Poka was the real star of the episode. First of all, his Ember is huge now (of course, Haderia has freaking Protect) but it's still really big. Tackle actually hurts and he knows Nitro Charge. It was fitting that Pokabu countered back against the very attack that beat him in the first place. I was reminded of Dragonball the way Pokabu and Haderia were both unconscious and being yelled at to get up. However, Pokabu really deserved that win so I'm glad to see it.

Okay, now that both of you have won your gym battles consecutively, please let the other guys take some center stage Miju and Poka. They need training too.

I thought this battle was actually fairly good. On par with most DP Gym matches.

Nice to see Tepig star at the end too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast