REVIEW: BW 015 "Shippou Gym Battle! VS Gym Leader Aloe!!" Review Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BW 015 "Shippou Gym Battle! VS Gym Leader Aloe!!" Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 015 "Shippou Gym Battle! VS Gym Leader Aloe!!" Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    Honestly, I have often wondered why Gym leaders couldn't switch in the anime when they could in the games. If anything is "cheap"
    it's that Gym leaders can't switch. But, I don't view that as really cheap either.
    Sure it gives challengers a nice cushion for winning, but still it was incredibly awkward to see her switch Pokemon. Because she disrupted the normal ambience that gym battles exudes. I mean I got the feeling it was a gym battle, but then when Aloe switched, it made the whole battle jarring.

So no I really disliked it completely. And not because of the cushion of winning, but because of how jarring it was to see Aloe switching.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosblazer View Post
    Am I missing something here? What about the egg? and what does it have to do with this episode.
    It was in the episode. Honestly you do not need to make a big deal about this. Please refrain (to anyone) from responding to the egg part of my post, please. Do not make a big deal about it.

Blog Entries

I know it's different but I don't recall....were the frontier brains bound by the same rule of not being allowed to switch? I don't remember any mention of that rule in the Greta, or Lucy battle. Tucker really didn't matter since it was limited to two Pokemon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    I know it's different but I don't recall....were the frontier brains bound by the same rule of not being allowed to switch? I don't remember any mention of that rule in the Greta, or Lucy battle. Tucker really didn't matter since it was limited to two Pokemon.
    Given the fact that none of them ever switched, I think I can safely say they were bound by the rules of no switching. I think what's messing you up is Brandon was allowed to switch when battling Paul, but that wasn't an official frontier battle.

If this "Gym Leader can switch Pokemon" is going to be a recurring thing, then Ash could never beat any Elite Four Member. Because look at how badly Brandon beat Paul and that was because Brandon was allowed to switch. I know its easier to beat someone when they can't switch, but still, this really does mess up the future of Pokemon, because it just makes a trainer so more difficult. If Flint was allowed to switch when battling Ash, I'm almost positive Pikachu would've lost faster.

And I also dislike how Aloe curbstomped Ash in this. Was it too much to ask one of them to at least get a win?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosblazer View Post
    Yeah BW is definitely a reboot, unlike Hoenn and Sinnoh if thier doing that.
    ...what kind of mental gymnastics is that?
    So.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Given the fact that none of them ever switched, I think I can safely say they were bound by the rules of no switching. I think what's messing you up is Brandon was allowed to switch when battling Paul, but that wasn't an official frontier battle.
    Well looking back at BF Ash didn't really do much switching either. Noland was a 1 v 1, and Greta/Lucy was a 2 v 2. In those battles Ash didn't switch until his Pokemon fainted...same with them. Tucker was a 2 on 2, so no switching was allowed there. I don't recall much about Anabel..other than the Corpish switch.

But I guess the BF is harder than gyms anyway, so it makes sense there wouldn't be room for much switching.

And I also dislike how Aloe curbstomped Ash in this. Was it too much to ask one of them to at least get a win?
    He'll win next week right? I don't really see it as a big deal honestly. He always loses his early gym match pretty badly...even if he manages to knockout a Pokemon.

I truly dont like the concept of this anime series! Why give Ash so many Pokemon from the begging and dont let them grow! And why he used this 2? they already battled in Dento gym!

They dont let Ash and his pokemon space to grow! I hope it changes!

If this "Gym Leader can switch Pokemon" is going to be a recurring thing, then Ash could never beat any Elite Four Member. Because look at how badly Brandon beat Paul and that was because Brandon was allowed to switch. I know its easier to beat someone when they can't switch, but still, this really does mess up the future of Pokemon, because it just makes a trainer so more difficult. If Flint was allowed to switch when battling Ash, I'm almost positive Pikachu would've lost faster.

Is it possible that Unova has different rules than the other Leagues/Gyms in the other regions?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melaugh View Post
    Is it possible that Unova has different rules than the other Leagues/Gyms in the other regions?
    I suppose but then that would most likely mean Mr. Goodshow is not the head of the league of Unova (unlike the other 4). Would make sense given how far away Unova is apparently. But if that was the case I can't see how the rules would roughly remain the same except that one rule, seems like they would drastically change it.

Though I suppose their making it more like the games.

He'll win next week right? I don't really see it as a big deal honestly. He always loses his early gym match pretty badly...even if he manages to knockout a Pokemon.
    Still I would've preferred Ash take at least one of Aloe's Pokemon, considering how easily she beat Ash. Even Ash wasn't this bad against Shooti. But losing basically to OHKO's to a Pokemon that doesn't have Super Luck. Oshawott is really only an exception since it lost to thunderbolt.

Well looking back at BF Ash didn't really do much switching either. Noland was a 1 v 1, and Greta/Lucy was a 2 v 2. In those battles Ash didn't switch until his Pokemon fainted...same with them. Tucker was a 2 on 2, so no switching was allowed there. I don't recall much about Anabel..other than the Corpish switch.
    But I guess the BF is harder than gyms anyway, so it makes sense there wouldn't be room for much switching.
    Except remember, prior to the Sinnoh series, Ash rarely substituted his Pokemon.

Blog Entries

Saw some pictures.

Ooh, handprint scanner? Fancy. Though it kinda looks like an ATM.

Oh man, all those books...I'd love a library like that...

Ash is looking uncertain/confused before Iris and Dent lean in to say something to him. What's going on?

Ah, shouty Ash. Much better. And the classic 'move book, reveal secret staircase' trope.

Hey, I think I get it! Was Aloe asking Ash to find the staircase? That would explain why he looked confused.

What's going on with the flashblack to some random kids? Prospective challengers who just couldn't find the stairs?

Off to the Gym part of the museum! Ash sure is raring to go.

Hmm, I wonder if the Gym Leaders showing their Pokémon before the battle is going to happen in the rest of Unova. Too early to tell at this stage.

Speaking of which, Yorterrie! Ahhh, it's so ickle and cute, and I'm not a dog person! Well, I'm not an animal person fullstop, but I digress. Iris agrees with me, too. Aww, and it licked her! And it licked Ash too! Double aww! Haha, looks like Iris is a teensy bit jealous!

Uh...Dent, what's with the sparkles all of a sudden? What a strange young man...

Is Pikachu miffed that he's not in the battle? It looks like he is.

Whoa, someone's horrified by snarly Yorterrie. Not so cute now, is it, Iris? She has a real 'cute things should act cute, dammit!' expression going on. Hehe, Pikachu's on Dent's shoulder now. Cute! Oh, and hi, Kibago. Forgot about you.

Alright, let's see that battle. Tepig's sent in and is forced out within seconds. That's gotta be a new record.

Oshawott looks like he had one hell of a bender last night.

Wha? Yorterrie's being switched out? This would make it the first Gym Battle we've seen that not only challengers can make substitutions in, yeah? Weird.

Mean Look from Miruhoggu. Bugger. At least Oshawott doesn't look so hungover now.

Sure, Oshawott's little shieldshell of insane imperviousness is useful, but not so much when it's not nearby. Head-on electricity equals good night.

And back to where we started with Tepig vs. Yorterrie. Shadow Ball? Gosh, how many times have we seen that move through the series? Too bloody many, if you ask me.

Is that Giga Impact or something? If it is, it certainly explains the instant KO.

Aww, depressed Tepig is depressed. =(

Oh yeah, the egg. Forgot about it. How often have we seen it since Ash got it, anyway?

Ash isn't having a bar of what his friends have to say. Nothing unusual, then.

...Tabunne is huge. Still don't know what it's supposed to be, though.

Team Rocket doing mission related stuff. Yawn.

Next day, Ash has a good idea to train his Pokémon. It'd be nice if said idea occured a bit more often. Also it would've been nice if something like Battle Clubs had been introduced earlier in this show. Better late than never, as the saying goes. Anyway, Ash'll get his victory, with some training and the power of kodomo-but-bordering-on-shonen-hero-spirit. Doncha just love it? =P

Dangan Ronpa avatar and sig pic by me. Bases from here.
    3DS Friend Code: 1177-7801-6992. Friend Safari is Psychic with Abra, Espurr and Xatu. If you add me, let me know!
    Me on LiveJournal

Blog Entries

For one thing, I didn't notice that this is the first time that the Gym Leader switched. It didn't matter to me. Another, advanced tactics school Ash once again. She really caught Ash off guard, and took Osha's best defense away from it. Tepig does need work, though. The only thing really shocking here is how fast it seemed to happen (and mind you, this is just from seeing the screenies) I didn't expect them to use the Battle Club as a means for training. This is certainly different. I think the people that want to see problems are making their own excuses, though.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

Are we seriously complaining about Aloe switching?

Who cares!? It's not that serious.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ash gets curb stomped early on in every region. Reminds me of when Roark or Brawly defeated him quickly.

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

I'm glad he was curbstomped because it gives him an excuse to train his Pokemon, especially Pokabu.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-san View Post
    Are we seriously complaining about Aloe switching?

Who cares!? It's not that serious.
    Thank you.

I really loved Mijumaru coming out and being all "What the heck's going on?" Also, when he got Low Kick'ed, he stood up with this crazy laugh and smile.

Yes... the next episode we will get Pokabu learning a new move!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast