REVIEW: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 151

Thread: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

  1. #31
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    I just don't like it that the generic filler plots have returned. Tagging an egg to the tail-end of an episode is a cheap way to make something non-filler.
    This episode has filler plot, just like the Ditto episode at the end of DP. Filler also. Just because they put something at the tail end of it doesn't change the fact that the main plot of that episode was totally disconnect from the main storyline and didn't further any character's plot or developpement. Filler.

    I'm also getting concerned about Iris. She really isn't doing much in most episodes. This is really odd to see them shaft a main girl like this especially now.
    I'm starting to think it's the high profile Dento VA or the fact that the writers are trying to chickify Brock, but Iris is doing nothing so far. Even in her "focus" episode, Dento and Ash did as much as she did, and Ash got the biggest laugh of that episode. This episode, I'd be hard put to say whether her or Jessie had more lines and screentime...

    Do I want her to achieve her dreams? No, why should I care about a character who doesn't take the effort to actually take step to further her own dreams, achieve her own goals.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    What's going on? Best Wishes feels like a step down in quality from DP.
    Urgh... stop DP fanboying :D

    BW shouldn't be rated against what came before, it should be rated based on what its presenting. So far, it's failing to really make an impact save for Dento.
    Last edited by Hellion; 9th December 2010 at 01:35 PM.

  2. #32
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Grave-E View Post
    Eh, it's nothing new. D/P pulled that shit all the time and it seemed to be enough to please people, and BW started as early as the third episode. At least here it wasn't randomly shoe-horning in irrelevent pokemon like Ditto.
    DP didn't do this early on though. Most of DP's regular eps were about battling or a Gym leader appearing or some stuff like that, or entering a competition.

    I remember when DP first started people commented on how the COTD plots were kept to a minimum.

  3. #33
    Load of Belloni
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,299
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    Well to be fair, it's really only this and the Hihidaruma one that have been more or less 'irrelevent' in the long one, and the future episodes we know of are going to have some important stuff going on.
    By this point, DP had the Piplup filler and that awful poketch one, so it's more or less the same.

  4. #34
    XXXXXXXXXX Dragon Char's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Tower of Mastery
    Posts
    4,815
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    That's it, I'm tired of the stigma of filler. Fillers are not the evil everyone makes them out to be. Sometimes, they can have a redeeming quality to them that makes it worth watching. Here, I only find it odd that the writers seem to be going out of their way to make the eps avoid being filler by having at least one important thing happen in them. (And the egg is important, I don't care what you say) At this point, I could almost call it a thinly veiled attempt at picking out the episodes you hate, as opposed to the ones that truly have importance to the plot. I know that's not entirely true, though, or at least I hope it isn't. Whatever the reason, filler is not a demon to be purged. It exists for a reason, and there could be hidden gems that you're missing.
    Step into the Fairy circle

  5. #35
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Grave-E View Post
    By this point, DP had the Piplup filler
    That's an exemple of something that wasn't a filler since it had to do with the main plot of a character and developped the character's relationship with one of its pokémon giving both developpement.

    and that awful poketch one
    That's an exemple of real filler

    Quote Originally Posted by Daikenki View Post
    That's it, I'm tired of the stigma of filler. Fillers are not the evil everyone makes them out to be.
    Agreed. Which is why I said bad filler to qualify this episode. Just because the writers want the audience to take a breather in between important events and make a more light-hearted funnier episode, doesn't meant thes episodes have to be bad. Wobbuffet ep in Johto, Claydoll ep in Hoenn, Togepi ep in DP, all are nonsensical, hilarious and good fillers.

    Filler doesn't have to mean bad, but sometimes it does.

  6. #36
    PURPLE HERMIT! Chosen of Mana's Avatar Archives Staff
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    LET'S GO
    Posts
    3,090
    Blog Entries
    62
    Follow Chosen of Mana On Twitter

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    The real question this episode raises is whether or not Ash will ever be able to outdo a Shikijika.

    Big claimin'
    Cresselia (Pokémon)
    Colette Brunel [Tales of Symphonia] and Yuri Lowell [Tales of Vesperia] (Video game characters)

  7. #37
    XXXXXXXXXX Dragon Char's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Tower of Mastery
    Posts
    4,815
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    So what are you trying to say? Avoid the ep except for the ending? I will agree this ep doesn't seem to have anything but the egg, unless you count the return of sandcroc. That could be rescued from total irrelevance if future eps change that. Such as sandcroc appearing again, or becoming a character that recurs throughout the entire saga. That's just something I don't find likely if someone in the main cast gets their own sandcroc.
    Step into the Fairy circle

  8. #38
    Evil Genius Krizor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    I didn't really like this episode too much, it was kinda boring.

    Meguroco showing up wasn't a surprise to me since I speculated that it would be a reoccuring Pokemon, but it blasting off like the Old TR really made me sad that the Old TR is dead.

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    So now that recurring Meguroco will be the one that going to get blasted off??? How annoying give that act to TR in the end of the series...

  10. #40
    With Best Wishes, Fletset's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    I atually registered just to ask this XD

    Regarding Meguroco: when Team Rocket showed up there was a news broadcast, and from what I understoond it had something to do with a missing Yabukuron. I thought maybe Meguroco shoed up to get him back?
    Though after the regular ending of the epsiode and reading this thread I started having doubts. Can anyone with a better Japanese explain the broadcast?

    I thought the Satoshi-kids interaction was very cute, by the way.

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,211
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    I'm getting sick of people's definition of filler.

    If this episode is filler, then so is the episode in which Phanpy evolved.

    So then if we assume fillers can be ignored when watching only important non-filler episodes, and the next non-filler is when the egg hatches and previously it was BW011 that was the last non-filler.

    Then answer this: Where the FUCK did the egg come from?

  12. #42
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Daikenki View Post
    So what are you trying to say? Avoid the ep except for the ending?
    Of course not, because has I said, the episode's PLOT was filler, in that it was totally disconnected from the main storyline and didn't further the character's developpement. Loads of episodes that share that characteristic are actually very good, but this isn't one of them.

    What I'm saying is that just Ash gets an egg in the last 30 seconds of the episode, doesn't mean that the ENTIRE episode is suddenly meaningful. Same for the 30 seconds apparition of the croc since the episode didn't focus on neither of those.

    Did Iris make strides to train Kibago and Doryuzuu? No
    Did Dento learn something about the synchronicity between trainer and pokémon? No
    Did Ash battle an another trainer or trained his pokémon to get them stronger during the main plot? No.
    Was it particularily funny or compelling to make up for the lack of connectitivity and developpement? No

    Therefore, it leaves you with a 'What was the point?' feeling. Same as those bad boring fillers.

    That's my point.

  13. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    Hmm. If that egg presented to Ash could be Megurocu like many speculated, could it be the suncroc that appeared again showed up just to get that egg back? Other than giving us that tastier Stone Edge animation, I'm puzzled on the reason it showed up at all this episode.

    Ash could have used a different Pokemon other than Pikachu to battle Shikijika. Pokabu preferably as it was beaten by it before Ash owns the fire pig. It was great to see Ash interacting with the children and I understand Yuri's (seem to be the 2nd time that name is used since Dawn's mother's childhood rival if I remember) concern of having Yabukuron around. However, I felt Iris needed this episode more than Ash so she can relate to the children and herself. She is raising Kibago who's also a child after all.

    Wonder which smells worse? Gloom or Yabukuron?
    People cannot protect their precious ones only with kindness. I am prepared to protect my important friends. Even if I will be called the devil! There's no way you can win, when you don't have bond with friends.

  14. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,211
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Of course not, because has I said, the episode's PLOT was filler, in that it was totally disconnected from the main storyline and didn't further the character's developpement. Loads of episodes that share that characteristic are actually very good, but this isn't one of them.

    What I'm saying is that just Ash gets an egg in the last 30 seconds of the episode, doesn't mean that the ENTIRE episode is suddenly meaningful. Same for the 30 seconds apparition of the croc since the episode didn't focus on neither of those.

    Did Iris make strides to train Kibago and Doryuzuu? No
    Did Dento learn something about the synchronicity between trainer and pokémon? No
    Did Ash battle an another trainer or trained his pokémon to get them stronger during the main plot? No.
    Was it particularily funny or compelling to make up for the lack of connectitivity and developpement? No

    Therefore, it leaves you with a 'What was the point?' feeling. Same as those bad boring fillers.

    That's my point.
    However did Ash's importance to the episode's plot, help him receive the egg? Yes.

    This is just similar to Ishizumai, should we ignore all the scenes with Ishizumai and Dento, and Yanappu, because they are disconnected with the episode's plot even though it's plainly obvious that they were the ultimate reason Ishizumai went with Dento.

    And really if it was just helping with the junk with all their Pokemon, everyone would've gotten an egg. Ash was the focal point of this episode and thus received an egg.

    That's why Iris and Dento were in the background for most of the episode (for the those who complained about it). The episode wasn't about them, it was about Ash offering to help with the current situation and thus received a "Pokemon" from doing that.

    It's just like BW004, Ash was the only one who was focused on Tepig, and yet people honestly expected Iris to catch Tepig. Why though? She didn't do anything at all, outside of providing food.

    Just like this episode, Ash did all the "work" and he should've been the one to receive the egg. If the writer's wanted Iris or Dento to get the egg, it would've been them instead of Ash.

  15. #45
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: BW 012 "The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?" Review Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    However did Ash's importance to the episode's plot, help him receive the egg? Yes.
    Actually it didn't really matter. The egg doesn't impact the episode, it wasn't a motivation for Ash. The episode wasn't about a place where they care about eggs, but a preschool teacher trying to get her class in order. You could do the exact same episode without the egg and nothing's changed about its plot.

    I'd compare with the episode where Ash found the Togepi egg. In that episode the egg came out of nowhere, just like here, but it was an entertaining episode on its own and was relevant because of Charizard's evo. We can say no such thing about BW12 who was neither entertaining nor was its main plot relevant.

    Take the egg out, and this episode is a filler and a bad one at that. That the writers shoved the egg in the last 30 seconds doesn't make the rest of the episode suddenly meaningful and good.

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    I'm getting sick of people's definition of filler.
    I find this incredibly ironic coming from the same guy who gave me grief not a week ago for "trying to speak fo everybody" (with statements that started with "I feel" and "I think" that clearly indicated I spoke for everybody[/SARCASM])... Really ironic... :P
    Last edited by Hellion; 9th December 2010 at 02:51 PM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •