BW 010 "Rival Battle! Strong Opponent Pururiru!" Review Thread - Page 10

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: BW 010 "Rival Battle! Strong Opponent Pururiru!" Review Thread

Default Re: BW 010 "Rival Battle! Strong Opponent Pururiru!" Review Thread

Late reply from me. I was waiting for the episode where I can fully understand to arrive, but it's delayed.

Anyway, Shooti is still okay to me so far. Like many others have said, his design is similar to Paul's and a bit distant. However, he does explain to Ash his strengths and weaknesses during and after the battle and questions Ash if he's truly ready to battle from what happened the 1st time. Not very snobbish but very social compared to Gary (1st season) and Paul.

As for Ash, he was more reckless this episode and this reminds me of that Ash VS Takuto where he wasn't able to battle or reveal all of his opponent's monsters. Oshawott could have tried defending with Shell Blade, Tepig should not have been the next monster in line even though it probably couldn't take out Shooti's Janobi, and Snivy should have done continual Leaf Storms. Unsure if Eccentric/Perversity is her ability though. At least Ash didn't have Mamepoto use Quick Attack on the Water/Ghost but at least escape Water Pulse with it. Yes, Ash was in over his head this episode.

The multiple Don Georges was unexpected to me. Since I know there are multiple Battle Clubs in Unova Region I should have expected this. What I thought was that Don George's disciples would run each club instead of his siblings. Like with Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny, how would a reverse gender of Don George look like?

This episode was OK. I feel Shooti could be a bit of a mentor-type rival yet helps him indirectly.
    People cannot protect their precious ones only with kindness. I am prepared to protect my important friends. Even if I will be called the devil! There's no way you can win, when you don't have bond with friends.

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

There's been a lot of discussion over this battle, including Hatooboo's two OHKOs. There are two things, however, that I should point out. One has been mostly overlooked, the other completely ignored.

1) Pikachu also had an OHKO, it took out Hatooboo with a single Volt Tackle.

2) You know that red glowy move Hatooboo used a few times? It was Cheer Up. Need I say more?

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude

PDL

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    1) Pikachu also had an OHKO, it took out Hatooboo with a single Volt Tackle.
    Considering that this is the same Pikachu which is known for KOing Rhydons with electric attacks and most recently took down a Latios single-handedly, having a OHKO against a Pokémon that hasn't fully evolved and has a type advantage over isn't much of a feat...

2) You know that red glowy move Hatooboo used a few times? It was Cheer Up. Need I say more?
    I was wondering what that power-up move was. Although it doesn't make sense that it would be depected like that. Then again, Helping Hand is depected as a weak electric shock towards the partner...
    Hinokou likes this.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

And Encore was just a random white ball of energy with no clapping whatsoever. So there's precedent. Stupid precedent, but precedent nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by PDL View Post
    Considering that this is the same Pikachu which is known for KOing Rhydons with electric attacks and most recently took down a Latios single-handedly, having a OHKO against a Pokémon that hasn't fully evolved and has a type advantage over isn't much of a feat...
    It still helps to balance out the OHKOs against Ash that people are complaining about. And do we really need to go over that Electric vs Ground thing for the millionth time?

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude

Kinda late on this, but here's what I thought:

This is Paul all over again, and that bugs me.
    Even though Shooti says more then Paul about Ash's strategy, It's still the same premise; Ash goes in without strategy while the rival has a whole strategy set up.
    What I'm hoping will come out of this is that Ash will start thinking about using strategy more, and I have a small feeling it might happen later on considering he had one with Snivy and her Attract. Or better yet something I thought would be good is Ash beating Shooti every now and then and Shooti beating him every now and then, to keep the Rivalry balanced imo.

But aside from that the battle was fun to watch, and Team Rocket was awesome.
    Visit my DeviantART Page!

That single-handed victory involved getting into a position where it couldn't be hit, then getting in 6 attacks in a row. I don't really see what you're getting at with that.
    So.

Don
    Blog Entries

Follow Don on Tumblr

Just found out even Shooty himself said his Janovy, back when it was a Tsutarja, had little experience as he just got it. Thus Shooty was disappointed that a Pikachu with more experience lost to it.

Oh and I guess Shooty's phrase is "that's basic, isn't it?" or "that's the basics" whatever way you see it as (or maybe it's both?). Because I swear he's said it more than once. Kind of like Paul's "pathetic" and whoever else has a phrase they say every time they appear. Unless Shooty doesn't say it again in his next appearance, but I doubt that as he's always pointing out Satoshi's lack of knowing "the basics".

Quote Originally Posted by UpbeatFerno View Post
    Kinda late on this, but here's what I thought:

This is Paul all over again, and that bugs me.
    Even though Shooti says more then Paul about Ash's strategy, It's still the same premise; Ash goes in without strategy while the rival has a whole strategy set up.
    What I'm hoping will come out of this is that Ash will start thinking about using strategy more, and I have a small feeling it might happen later on considering he had one with Snivy and her Attract. Or better yet something I thought would be good is Ash beating Shooti every now and then and Shooti beating him every now and then, to keep the Rivalry balanced imo.

But aside from that the battle was fun to watch, and Team Rocket was awesome.
    It really shouldn't be about Ash learning to use strategy more. He spent all of DP learning about strategy from Paul. Paul presented 3 problems to Ash:

1) Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape. Paul giving up on Chimchar and Ash catching it to spend the next 3 seasons training it was part of what kept their rivalry going. Cynthia even said that Chimchar was what bonded Paul and Ash.

2) Paul's training method of abusing Pokemon. It completely went against Ash's personal viewpoint on treating Pokemon of encouraging and supporting.

3) Paul had complete strategies made up beforehand, knew the best ways to attack and always stayed several steps ahead of his opponent. Ash realized he had to learn from it following the full battle and spent the time until the Sinnoh league switching up how he battled to be more effective.

Paul wasn't just a recurring character for DP. The rivalry between them was intense and spanned 187 episodes. It was a rivalry that caused both of them to grow in new and unexpected ways. This is why Paul is different from Shooti. Right now Shooti is just a random newbie trainer that's just better than Ash. That's it.

The only complaints like I've said before are about comparing Shooti and Paul's use in the show in the way of storytelling. All I'm looking at is a rival that beats Ash over and over again, nothing more. I'm not looking at how Ash and Shoot interact. I'm not looking at how Ash and Paul interacted. I'm pointing out that the rival for this region is causing repeated events from DP. That's boring storytelling.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Same here. Especially considering that bird already K.O.'d two of Ash's Pokemon and Pikachu's clear type advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Miju Miju View Post
    It really shouldn't be about Ash learning to use strategy more. He spent all of DP learning about strategy from Paul. Paul presented 3 problems to Ash:

1) Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape. Paul giving up on Chimchar and Ash catching it to spend the next 3 seasons training it was part of what kept their rivalry going. Cynthia even said that Chimchar was what bonded Paul and Ash.

2) Paul's training method of abusing Pokemon. It completely went against Ash's personal viewpoint on treating Pokemon of encouraging and supporting.

3) Paul had complete strategies made up beforehand, knew the best ways to attack and always stayed several steps ahead of his opponent. Ash realized he had to learn from it following the full battle and spent the time until the Sinnoh league switching up how he battled to be more effective.

Paul wasn't just a recurring character for DP. The rivalry between them was intense and spanned 187 episodes. It was a rivalry that caused both of them to grow in new and unexpected ways. This is why Paul is different from Shooti. Right now Shooti is just a random newbie trainer that's just better than Ash. That's it.

The only complaints like I've said before are about comparing Shooti and Paul's use in the show in the way of storytelling. All I'm looking at is a rival that beats Ash over and over again, nothing more. I'm not looking at how Ash and Shoot interact. I'm not looking at how Ash and Paul interacted. I'm pointing out that the rival for this region is causing repeated events from DP. That's boring storytelling.
    I completely agree with you there. My problem with Shooti is not that he's a newbie trainer beating Ash (well maybe a little ^^;;) nor that he's a Paul rip-off. My problem with him is that he's not interesting.

At least with Paul we had some conflict going on. His ideologies about pokemon completely clashed with Ash's and the whole chimchar thing and his strategic thinking just added fuel to the fire. The rivalry with Paul kept me engaged all the way through, despite whether or not I liked him.

Shooti, I don't hate him. In fact I feel something worse than hate for him, so far all I'm feeling is apathy. I had high hopes for him and he let me down. I'm willing to give him like 60 more episodes to present an actual conflict, but so far he's just blech.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia Eon View Post
    I cannot see why ash should have win the battle he hasn't trained any of his brand new pokemon. Shooti who has already gotten his to evolve. That doesn't just come from sitting around and being a newb. OK maybe in pokemon it does but still...

Bang on the money. All we've seen training wise is Ash letting Pikachu shock him at the end of episode 9. I'm hoping for a good training episode soon enough

Blog Entries

Team Rocket drives a semitruck off a bridge to escape the cops, it hits the ground and explodes, and they fly off on jetpacks. Best moment of the whole episode XD Amazing

I actually really liked this episode. The battles were good, the dialogue was good... not really much negative to say about this episode. I really enjoyed it. I do wish the match had been a little less one-sided, though, but whatevs.

Blog Entries

I give this episode a 9/10

So, in this episode Satoshi and Shooti face off. I found the battle exciting to watch. I was shocked to see that Miju and Pokabu were defeated so easily, I hope they evolve and not stay in their first forms.

I thought that Shooti's Hatoobo was very strong, especially when it was givin' Pikachu a hard time (I'm glad that he pulled through, grabbing it was epic x3). I was a little bit disappointed when Pikachu lost to Janovy, to be honest, Pikachu should've won that battle, and going out because of 'Cut', that sucks =/ At least Tsutarja was able to defeat it, that was a good match ^___^ I give Tsutarja props for defeating it using it's 'Attract'.

Now, when Shooti sent out Pururiru I knew it was bad news. I was surprised to see that it easily knocked out Mamempato :O The battle was epic between it and Tsutarja (curse that 'Curst Body' ability xD ), but, if Tsutarja's 'Attract' managed to hit it, then I think it would have won (and we would see more of Shooti's Pokemon).

I hope that Satoshi will beat Shooti the next time when they meat each other (or at least make it a tie).

I also can't wait to see more of TR new comrade.

Overall, I found the episode fun to watch, and will be lookin' forward to the next one

You can always find me within the depths of IRC....
    All gifs made by me.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910