BW 009 "Out of Control Pendra! Rescue Kibago!" Review Thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: BW 009 "Out of Control Pendra! Rescue Kibago!" Review Thread

Default Re: BW 009 "Out of Control Pendra! Rescue Kibago!" Review Thread

Can someone explain to me why people are faulting Iris for being a weak battler at the beginning?

EVERY Pokemon girl has sucked as a battler when we first met them. How is this any different than usual?

I thought it was kinda funny that Ash was sitting on the sidelines in the beginning of this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    I thought it was kinda funny that Ash was sitting on the sidelines in the beginning of this episode.
    I think its great that Ash is refereeing matches.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Can someone explain to me why people are faulting Iris for being a weak battler at the beginning?

EVERY Pokemon girl has sucked as a battler when we first met them. How is this any different than usual?
    It's not faulting her for being not a good battler, I just wish she just would do something to... I dunno... not be weak anymore...

Tangible steps, actually training her pokemon... so far she hasn't done jack except a faux battle against Dent... That's bringing Misty flashbacks and since I like Iris, I don't want her having the personality of a fern and fading into the background like Misty for the rest of BW....
    Last edited by Hellion; 11th November 2010 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gotpika View Post
    Now this episode demonstrate somethings I like about Iris. She isn't a damsel in distress like May/Hikari, Dawn/Hikari, and to an extent Kasumi/Misty she takes things into her own hands and gets physical, not having to rely on her pokemon all the time, She reminds me of trainers in Pokemon Special.
    Did you actually watch all the previous arcs? What Iris did here to come to her Pokemon's rescue and battle is the same thing all the other girls have done at some point, minus swinging on a vine of course. :p

Where is this, "damsel in distress" thing coming from? Iris spent the first eps of BW standing there as Ash saved her Kibago.

If the writers want Ash to save the day, he does, otherwise the female characters have their moments of glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post

FTR, Misty and Dawn were able to hold thier own in thier first fights.

If anything Iris is closer to May who didn't know what to do when she started training.

Still my biggest gripe about the episode is after watching the steel mole in action, I actually wouldn't have minded if Ash had gotten it.

But no he gets a team of blandness while Iris has the cool pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosblazer View Post
    FTR, Misty and Dawn were able to hold thier own in thier first fights.

If anything Iris is closer to May who didn't know what to do when she started training.
    Early on, yes, but not from mid-AG onward.

Still my biggest gripe about the episode is after watching the steel mole in action, I actually wouldn't have minded if Ash had gotten it.

But no he gets a team of blandness while Iris has the cool pokemon.
    I agree with this as well. The problem with getting all the starters/bird is we know Ash will never Oak them permanently because they're advertisements. That leaves only the 6th pokemon to get swapped out at some point, and usually it lasts a while like Phanpy and Gliscor did before it goes away for the next capture.

...wait, it's a problem that Iris is a very flawed character? Her flaws make her entertaining. We can't expect her to suddenly jump on board the competent trainers train when it's only been nine episodes and this is the first episode that actually focuses on her. We need to know what's the deal with her FIRST and then we can follow her on her journey to train Kibago and become a better trainer.

Expecting her to change in the span of one episode would kill a great storyline. She'll get there eventually. People just need to be patient. Besides, this adds a lot of humor to her comments about Ash being a kid because now we know she really doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Now this episode demonstrate somethings I like about Iris. She isn't a damsel in distress like May/Hikari, Dawn/Hikari, and to an extent Kasumi/Misty she takes things into her own hands and gets physical, not having to rely on her pokemon all the time, She reminds me of trainers in Pokemon Special.
    Uh no. The previous girls(May and Dawn in particular) have all proven themselves to be PROACTIVE in the past and have taken matters in to their own hands many times. It's not like they stand there and cry while they wait for Ash to do everything for them. Besides, they rely on their pokemon because they can rely on their pokemon. Iris cannot so she has to make do with other things(besides, she did most of it at Dento's and Ash's prompting). "Damsel in distress" I do not think you know what that term means.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode. It did a great job of fleshing Iris out for me and the trio were a lot of fun together in general. I'm still :| over Kibago but hey, my opinion may change in the future. Best part of the episode for me was Ash and Pikachu battling each other. ilu Ash, never change <3

...though seeing Iris with Doryuzu really makes me wish the writers would be a bit more flexible with the pokemon on Ash's team. We don't need all three starters to advertise.

[QUOTE=Gible;2436435]- What the fuck was up with Ash v Pikachu... not funny... not interesting...
    QUOTE]

Shoot you didn't think that part was funny? I thought it was, I know I'm not the only oneXD On Iris character, character developement is always a good thing. As the show goes on I'm sure Iris will progress.
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

Oh, right. One gripe I had about this episode was that Satoshi didn't tell Tsutarja to use Attract on Pendorra - why not? I'm hoping the writers don't just forget about that move.
    New Member's Guide to BMGf
    icon by twilightblade

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Who's gonna care about the gender of some one off Pokemon of the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    Who's gonna care about the gender of some one off Pokemon of the day?
    It's not that people care about its gender, it's because Satoshi has a Pokemon with an attack that could easily stop Pendorra in its tracks for a while... giving Iris enough time to snatch Kibago back. But of course, Satoshi's got a small brain, so I guess he didn't think to use it. XD That and the group didn't feel like suggesting it.
    icon by twilightblade

Quote Originally Posted by Dento View Post
    It's not that people care about its gender, it's because Satoshi has a Pokemon with an attack that could easily stop Pendorra in its tracks for a while... giving Iris enough time to snatch Kibago back. But of course, Satoshi's got a small brain, so I guess he didn't think to use it. XD That and the group didn't feel like suggesting it.
    It has nothing to do with Ash's "small brain". Dento or Iris could have easily suggested it as well. Plot didn't allow for it for w/e reason. I was fine with what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    It has nothing to do with Ash's "small brain". Dento or Iris could have easily suggested it as well. Plot didn't allow for it for w/e reason. I was fine with what they did.
    Haha, agreed. I'm a bit disappointed with that portion of the episode. Hopefully he uses it against one of Shooti's Pokemon. =/
    icon by twilightblade

Quote Originally Posted by Dento View Post
    Haha, agreed. I'm a bit disappointed with that portion of the episode. Hopefully he uses it against one of Shooti's Pokemon. =/
    Lol, knowing how Ash rivals work Shooti will probably predict it and throw it back in Ash's face.

But back on topic, Kibago is going to be a monster by the end of the series.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast