BW 005 "Sanyou Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu!!" Review Thread - Page 14

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: BW 005 "Sanyou Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu!!" Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 005 "Sanyou Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu!!" Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    :P

Iris = New Misty
    Kibago = New Togepi
    Dent = New Brock

Edit: Actually, I don't really believe the "crush" theory...
    what's your theory on why she's stalking him? just wondering.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Gible
    Corn is only using Water Monkey. That's his main fighter, that's the pokémon he fights with. It's not a strech to imagine he knows that it's a pokemon that's weak against Grass and Electricity and that he divised a strategy to counter that...
    You don't even have to imagine it. He outright states that he's trained his Hiyapp to be able to go up against pokemon who are strong against it.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gible View Post
    Do you even watch this show? That's not just you but to pretty much everybody who thinks is a crime that Pikachu lost. Thing is if you look at the episodes weekly, you realize that Pikachu isn't all that strong. Just in DP, his failures and his close matches far outweigh the matches where it just dominated an adversary. He's been shown to be stronger than the average pikachu, probably as strong as an evolved Raichu, but... that's it. Nothing more than that really. For the entire run of DP, most of the time, Pikachu was having a hard time in his battle and they took a lot out of him. He wasn't some almighty God.
    Now, now...I know you dislike Pikachu (so do I to some extent), but I'd say Pikachu is a stronger than the average Raichu. It's just plot that makes its power fluctuate widely. Tieing with Latios, and taking out Regice ( the latter being cheap but w/e) then losing to Elekid or something. Pikachu is pretty damn strong, but when the writers want it to fail it does so wonderfully...which is usually at the start of a new region.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    You don't even have to imagine it. He outright states that he's trained his Hiyapp to be able to go up against pokemon who are strong against it.
    Figured as much...

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    Now, now...I know you dislike Pikachu (so do I to some extent), but I'd say Pikachu is a stronger than the average Raichu. It's just plot that makes its power fluctuate widely. Tieing with Latios, and taking out Regice ( the latter being cheap but w/e) then losing to Elekid or something. Pikachu is pretty damn strong, but when the writers want it to fail it does so wonderfully...which is usually at the start of a new region.
    Again with Latios and Regice... basically, what you're saying is we should throw away Pikachu's power level in 650+ episodes just because in 2 (extremely badly written) episodes, it defeated/tied with a legendary pokemon (both times in totally unbelievable manner).

What makes the episode where Pikachu tied with Latios more representative of Pikachu's strenght than say Playing The Leveling Field where Pikachu lost to a gym leader's pokemon it also had a type advantage again. Oh yeah, it happened again 9 episodes later... Let's not even talk about his loses to Elekid, Onix, Magmortar, Luxray and all the matches where it couldn't do a whole lot but faint.

Also, it's really hypocritical to say on one hand that it's perfectly believable to have Pikachu defeat/tie with a Legendary pokemon despite being an unevolved pokemon and yet it's not ok for Hiyappu to do the same. Want to know what the difference between Pikachu tieing with Latios and Hiyappu defeating Pikachu is? In Hiyappu's case, its trainer had a strategy and didn't owe its win to crap writing.

It's not a question of not liking pikachu, it's a question of looking at this show in its entirety and realizing that Pikachu's normal level that's constant throughout the series is that it's strong, as strong or barely stronger than a Raichu, but not an invicible god that can kill things just by looking at them and is totally immune from losing.

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

Pikachu are frail. One wrong move on Ash's part with a clever trainer as an opponent and the tables can be turned against the beloved thunder mouse easily.

Besides, if Ash didn't get beaten at the start of every region to show he still has growing and learning to do then there wouldn't be much of a challenge in him just breezing through the gyms with six of his most powerful Pokémon.

Aside from the mascot thing, the reason Pikachu hasn't evolved is so they have an excuse for him to get beaten every now and then; even after his extensive experience.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Inside a blue box that is bigger on the inside
    Blog Entries

Figured as much...

Again with Latios and Regice... basically, what you're saying is we should throw away Pikachu's power level in 650+ episodes just because in 2 (extremely badly written) episodes, it defeated/tied with a legendary pokemon (both times in totally unbelievable manner).

What makes the episode where Pikachu tied with Latios more representative of Pikachu's strenght than say Playing The Leveling Field where Pikachu lost to a gym leader's pokemon it also had a type advantage again. Oh yeah, it happened again 9 episodes later... Let's not even talk about his loses to Elekid, Onix, Magmortar, Luxray and all the matches where it couldn't do a whole lot but faint.

Also, it's really hypocritical to say on one hand that it's perfectly believable to have Pikachu defeat/tie with a Legendary pokemon despite being an unevolved pokemon and yet it's not ok for Hiyappu to do the same. Want to know what the difference between Pikachu tieing with Latios and Hiyappu defeating Pikachu is? In Hiyappu's case, its trainer had a strategy and didn't owe its win to crap writing.

It's not a question of not liking pikachu, it's a question of looking at this show in its entirety and realizing that Pikachu's normal level that's constant throughout the series is that it's strong, as strong or barely stronger than a Raichu, but not an invicible god that can kill things just by looking at them and is totally immune from losing.
    Yes.

All of this,also,take into account that is not "pikachu tied against Latios",is Sceptile,Swellow AND pikachu took down a Latios.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombra29 View Post
    Yes.

All of this,also,take into account that is not "pikachu tied against Latios",is Sceptile,Swellow AND pikachu took down a Latios.
    Not really. Did Sceptile or Swellow even hit Latios? I'm pretty sure Latios basically demolished both of them without even taking a hit.

Anyway this happens at the beginning of every new region, why are people so surprised that it happened again? The writer's needed to showcase all three gym leaders and that meant that Ash had to lose to one of them. I would rather see Pikachu go down than Pokabu, Mijumaru or Mamepato

Freakin Adorable.

Whipping Up a Wind Scar! CrazyYanmega's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    Tackle? that's it?

a new generation and none of Ash's Pokemon has shown a Gen V move yet

all we know is that Mijumaru knows Shell Blade and he hasn't officially used it yet..

and the same to you gym leaders! what I thought was boiling water was only Water gun (which makes Pikachu look even more pathetic)

so so far the only new move we've seen are Grass Mixer and Shell blade

great..
    Actually, Tackle got quite a power up in the new generation, at least according to serebii.net
    MorpheusShipper for all of time!!!

Tsunderes make me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolclaw View Post
    Depends if you want the cyber worm, the anti-centipede or the decaying chicken.

Blog Entries

its trainer had a strategy and didn't owe its win to crap writing.
    Jumping on Latios' back doesn't count as a strategy? (as if its any different than firing a water gun at someone's feet).

And I still don't know why you think it was crap writing. I can understand Regice even if I disagree with certain people's sentiments, but against Latios I'm not seeing how it was cheap. After all as I said, the only move that likely did direct damage to Pikachu was the final luster purge and even then that was probably only due to the explosion.

But really that argument aside, Pikachu legitimately lost to Hiyappu and it's previous wins/losses are rather moot. Corn just knows how to handle electric types, he wouldn't be a gym leader if he didn't have some strategy against them, he's not supposed to make it easy for the challenger.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314