BW 005 "Sanyou Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu!!" Review Thread - Page 11

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: BW 005 "Sanyou Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu!!" Review Thread

Default Re: BW 005 "Sanyou Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu!!" Review Thread

Pikachu got KOed without getting any real hit in. He's been so weak after the Zekrom drainage, that I am seriously starting to wonder that it's intentional and a plot point later on. That, or the writers are taking the new series nerf to a whole new level.

Also, I love pokabu,the fire starters are always really strong for Ash. I guess the water starter is comic relief for now, but I think he will develop and evolve, and be a awesome pokemon during the pokemon league.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pikachu also lost in the first Sinnoh Gym too. To an Onix using Screech no less.

Blog Entries

I don't see why Pikachu losing is a big deal to some people. I knew it was going to happen before the episode aired. They obviously wouldn't let Pokabu, or Mijumaru lose. Pikachu get's "depowered" each region so it's like Ash is starting fresh.

Blog Entries

And as said, I'd rather see Ash's new Pokemon win a battle rather than Pikachu.

What I loved about DP, is that Pikachu was kept out of most of the Gyms or when it was used it didn't star in most of them.

Pikachu used to dominate most Kanto and Johto Gyms back in the day.

追放されたバカ

I enjoyed this episode very much. Dent, Pod and Corn are awesome and Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu are also awesome. ^_____^

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't go far as to say that Pikachu is "powered down" every gen, but rather it is Ash insisting on using the same strategy with him that screws them over.

Pikachu is powerful and agile, but he always attacks in a straight-line formation. His opponents will find it easy to counter his attacks. Volt Tackle is also a major factor, as Pikachu has absolutely no control over the move (he cannot stop moving or change direction by himself). Do you know how many times Pikachu lost in a battle because he used Volt Tackle? Ash doesn't go around Pikachu's weaknesses to improve.

Pikachu is also a very frail pokemon and he lost a handful of Kanto and Johto gym battles back in the day, if I recall.

The last thing the writers feel they should do is to give Pikachu a definite victory during a gym match. They want Ash's newer set of pokemon to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    And as said, I'd rather see Ash's new Pokemon win a battle rather than Pikachu.

What I loved about DP, is that Pikachu was kept out of most of the Gyms or when it was used it didn't star in most of them.

Pikachu used to dominate most Kanto and Johto Gyms back in the day.
    Well, this is also questionable for the new viewers who hasn't seen the previous sagas yet. Pikachu will need to learn new attacks if he won't use the defensive techniques learned from DP (spiral evasion and counter shield for examples).

This gym is incredibly unique as it starts out as a restaurant. I should have known this, since the 3 are dressed as waiters. I was thinking they could have used this as a battle zone. Too bad there wasn't an option of a triple battle here. Still, against 3 Gym Leaders is more exciting than the usual 1.

Mijumaru will either lose to that Kame... er, Solar Beam or reflect it with his shell. Whether he wins or not will be answered next week.
    People cannot protect their precious ones only with kindness. I am prepared to protect my important friends. Even if I will be called the devil! There's no way you can win, when you don't have bond with friends.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos King View Post
    I wouldn't go far as to say that Pikachu is "powered down" every gen, but rather it is Ash insisting on using the same strategy with him that screws them over.
    I don't think it has anything to do with Ash's stragety. He uses the same one, and will likely keep using it forever. Plot determines if it works, in the same way plot resets Pikachu, and Ash to a lesser extent. For instance, where was counter-shield?

If Pikachu can survive hits, and surive to tie with a Latios there's no reason it should lose to a Pokemon signigicantly weaker than a legendary, aka a base form. Same can be said of the Elekid, and Tsutarja loses really. Like you said the writers don't want Pikachu outshinig any of the new captures. It's made weaker than it is at the end of every region.
    Last edited by Masurao; 15th October 2010 at 03:08 PM.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

I dunno. Battle-wise, ie. it's ability to take a hit and dish out damage, Pikachu has always been fairly so-so imo. Stuff like beating a Regice or a Latios? They're exceptions to the rule, and are almost always used to either prove something to another character, or play up the 'hey, Pikachu was his first pokemon!' message, in order to make the match more meaningful.

But if you want some kooky fan-interpretation of how it is, the way I see it is this; Pikachu has peaked. It's as strong as it will ever get, and as a diddy little pokemon, without sheer willpower, it's not physically able to take too many hits to begin with.

Major Pearlshipper here. Dawn15's Avatar

I think Ash will win! (I hope) There are three leaders, but only three pokemon, right?
    I will have faith in Pearlshipping, even in Isshu!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    If Pikachu can survive hits, and surive to tie with a Latios
    Flint's Infernape is a far more better example since unlike Flint's Infernape Latios never did deal direct damage to Pikachu except the final one that ended them both being knocked out (and even then that's debatable), so I'm not seeing why Latios is a good argument, Pikachu may have been damaged but it was always indirect damage since it used volt tackle and iron tail to deflect Latios' attacks. And did you see Pikachu struggling, if anything use Flint's Infernape who is likely stronger than Takuto's Latios and it dealt a whole bunch of damage to Pikachu, Latios, no, didn't even hardly deal squat.

But in this episode, Hiyappu dealt tons of damage to Pikachu, it might be weaker but all those hits have to add up. It's not like Pikachu is godly powerful, it barely wins against any of the tough opponent's anyway. Pikachu is pretty much the "last one standing" Pokemon it's never a clean win like Sceptile's win over Darkrai (when dealing with strong Pokemon) was (although its win over Regice was kind of like that).
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 15th October 2010 at 10:21 PM.

Blog Entries

There's no point in complaining about Pikachu.

We all know every time a new saga starts, Pikachu always loses battles to unevolved Pokemon again, some even owned by regular little kid trainers.

Just move on. The writers don't care about how "strong" Pikachu should be by now.

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like Volt Tackle has replaced Quick Attack. We haven't seen Pikachu use Quick Attack as of late...

Archosaur Enthusiast Spikeheila's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buizelfan View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, it looks like Volt Tackle has replaced Quick Attack. We haven't seen Pikachu use Quick Attack as of late...
    didnt it try and use that at the beggining? Or was that agility or something?

Electric Friend Safari: Luxio, Electabuzz, Pachirisu.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Pikachu has used Quick attack in pretty much every fight so far..

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast