BW 004 "Battle Club! A Mysterious Pokémon Appears!!" Review Thread

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BW 004 "Battle Club! A Mysterious Pokémon Appears!!" Review Thread

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default BW 004 "Battle Club! A Mysterious Pokémon Appears!!" Review Thread

BW 004 Battle Club! A Mysterious Pokémon Appears!!
    Satoshi and Iris continue their journey to Sanyou City. As they pass through Karakusa Town, they come across an interesting facility known as the "Pokemon Battle Club" where trainers are allowed to battle each other freely. Satoshi rushes to the Battle Club, brimming with energy! After talking with Satoshi for a while, the manager of the Battle Club, Don George, shows interest in the rare Pikachu Satoshi brought with him to the Isshu Region. Before long, a battle starts! It's interrupted, however, when a siren goes off. It seems like someone has broken into a nearby warehouse! When everyone goes to check out the security cameras, they're surprised at what they see!
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: BW 004 "Battle Club! A Mysterious Pokémon Appears!!" Review Thread

The Battle Club is located in Karakusa Town, a place that Ash assumed was Sanyou City at first.

Ash ends up catching the Pokabu at the end of the episode.

Ash and Don George were fooled into thinking that the Pokabu was an Umbreon, and as a result, that is why Meowth disguised itself as one. Iow, no real Umbreon appeared in this episode.

This Pokabu was shown to be emancipiated; the muzzle wrapped around its mouth prevented it from eating anything. Due to the circumstance, it didn't trust humans and was scared of them but it finally trusted and battled alongside Ash after the latter helped it.

The Pokabu belonged to a trainer at the Battle Club, but after losing a battle (to a Shikijika [grass-type] nonetheless), its mouth was tied up by that trainer and left abandoned.

Mijumaru is useless sometimes and can easily fill Piplup's shoes. First it offers to battle alongside Ash, then when it sees its opponent (Futachimaru), stands back and lets Pikachu handle things. Then, it eats the pokemon food that was used as bait for the Pokabu. Finally, its Water Gun failed to do anything against TRio after they stole Pikachu.

The battle between Pikachu and Futachimaru was a draw, nothing resulted out of it since the alarm sounded (showing TRio and Pokabu).

Also, we haven't seen Mamepato since its debut episode... It's as if the show can run without the token bird this time.
    Last edited by Ampharos King; 7th October 2010 at 05:34 AM.

Awesome ep! I missed the beginning and what I did watch was bad quality with some freezes but whatever, I'll watch it properly later
    As expected, Ash caught Pokabu... and this Pokabu is so extremely cute! But I don't think I understand Pokabu's story... was it abandoned? even if it was, why was that thing put on its mouth? poor pig!
    Mijumaru is just awesome XD randomly popping out of ball, staying to help but instead eats the food bait and causes Pikachu to faint XDDD I love Miju so much... Mijuuuuuu <3

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It was abandoned by its trainer because it kept losing. The rope that had been keeping it tied to that post got tangled around its mouth somehow when it broke free, preventing it from being able to eat the pokemon food scattered about.

Let's see... Ash catching all the starters, his Bird Pokémon barely getting any screen time, companions who travel with Ash and yet apparently have no goals of their own... wow, Best Wishes really is harking back to the early Kanto days.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

my impressions:

Mijumaru is a jerk.
    Battle Club is based on Pokemon Global Link.
    Mamepato still nowhere to be seen
    Umbreon is fake
    Surprising Giovanni cameo
    Iris is still in backgrounds...
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

amazing Meron's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Meron On Twitter

Poor Pokabu, it was so cute. <3 And those who demanded for funnier rockets got a funny Nyasu scene. :) Need to rewatch this episode as my Keyhole lagged a lot.

y team

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos King View Post
    Also, we haven't seen Mamepato since its debut episode... It's as if the show can run without the token bird this time.
    Wow, I completely forgot about Mamepato. At the end of the episode, I said to myself, "Yay Ash has 3 Pokemon now!" I'm surprised they've made Pokabu's past a sob-story, too... although we probably won't be hearing about it again this time.

Anyway, Mijumaru not wanting to battle anymore once it saw that Futachimaru was hilarious, as was the reaction to Mewoth not being an Umbreon.

Also hang-gliders = win.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, they're going out of their way to make allusions to the Kanto era. Abandoned Pokabu, no way. So are we going to be finding Tsutarja in a hidden village next or what?

Serious Team Rocket is still serious. I'm still not used to that.

At least Iris finally seems to be developing a little respect for Ash. That's kinda nice to see.

... On an unrelated note, they finally have a new Pokemon Pan commercial. I was ready to say goodbye to DP's ages ago, but now that there's a new one... it's not nearly as catchy. XD

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    It was abandoned by its trainer because it kept losing. The rope that had been keeping it tied to that post got tangled around its mouth somehow when it broke free, preventing it from being able to eat the pokemon food scattered about.
    Wow, that's extremely cruel to tie it like that... the trainer could just release it and go away like Paul did with Chim...
    Anyway, that's another fire starter to the list of abandoned ones who went to Ash eventually

Iris was seen to be very impressed with how much Ash cared for the Pokabu, they're really emphasizing in all eps so far that Iris notice how much Ash loves Pokémon... I like it

So wait, Ash just assumed the Poké was Umbreon and showed its Pokédex data? At first I thought Ash actually scanned the screen (Dawn did it in sometimes and it worked...) but since it was Pokabu I guess he didn't scan the screen... (as said I watched bad quality so I'm not sure)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    Wow, they're going out of their way to make allusions to the Kanto era. Abandoned Pokabu, no way. So are we going to be finding Tsutarja in a hidden village next or what?
    Mijumaru isn't a leader.

Serious Team Rocket is still serious. I'm still not used to that.
    That is the biggest difference between BW and the Kanto series.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I'm also noticing the lack of Mamepato. When the Rocket-Dan were flying away in their impossible bubble thing, I was expecting Satoshi to use it. But nope!

And then, Pokabu. Or, Hitokage / Hikozaru. It's kind of annoying that they're recycling the "fire-type starter gets abandoned" plot again, but hopefully Pokabu's personality will make up for its derivative back story.

This episode used a lot of music from the Zorro'ark movie, which is pretty cool. There were at least three or four pieces used here.

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup
    So wait, Ash just assumed the Poké was Umbreon and showed its Pokédex data?
    Yes. He thought it looked like a Blackee, so he looked it up in his Pokemon Zukan. So, another continuity nod.

Blog Entries

I just copy and pasted this from my post on Serebii, stupid redirect thing was not letting me on here.

Pokabu was really adorable in this episode (well some parts anyway, like when Pokabu wanted to be with Ash).

And LOL at Mijumaru, oh my goodness, one look at its evolved form and it tagged Pikachu in the battle, oh hilarious.

Really cruel what that trainer did, unlike Damien and "Paul" I really hope we don't see who this person is, I just don't care about people like that.

And LOL what is wrong with Iris, I swear she's getting on my nerves with oh a Pokemon she doesn't bond with going to her. It is sort of sad a little though, it makes me want Iris to catch something but nah she can suffer with this running gag until after BW008 or so.

As for people possibly disliking Ash with Pokabu, watch the episode, I mean seriously any other trainer would not have made sense on how the episode played out. Ash was first to see it, removed its muzzle for it and pretty much carried it while it slept in his arms. Iris didn't deserve a Pokemon like Pokabu when Iris didn't even do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    So wait, Ash just assumed the Poké was Umbreon and showed its Pokédex data? At first I thought Ash actually scanned the screen (Dawn did it in sometimes and it worked...) but since it was Pokabu I guess he didn't scan the screen... (as said I watched bad quality so I'm not sure)
    Ash went with what looked familiar to him, the black blob looked like Umbreon so he looked it up. I know he's seen Pokabu in BW001, but really he's seen more Umbreon, one of his rivals has one so we can't really blame Ash on misidentifying said Pokemon even though to the audience it was obviously Pokabu.

Blog Entries

Visit Frost's Youtube Channel

So...

Ash has four Pokemon after four episodes, yet Team Rocket still only have Jessie's Koromori between the both of them?

Something in this equation is seriously off.
    Co-admin at PsyPoke.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Ash went with what looked familiar to him, the black blob looked like Umbreon so he looked it up. I know he's seen Pokabu in BW001, but really he's seen more Umbreon, one of his rivals has one so we can't really blame Ash on misidentifying said Pokemon even though to the audience it was obviously Pokabu.
    Yeah, I didn't blame him XD Just wanted to make sure how it was...
    So Iris wanted to catch Umbreon and later wanted to catch Pokabu... she also wanted Mijumaru earlier
    I wonder if that means Iris will catch non-dragon types... though we have to remember that Misty wanted lots of random Poké that she found cute despite not being water types but she never really got any of them (Oddish, Jigglypuff, Clefairy...)

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast