REVIEW: "Beartic Mountain Feud!" Review Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: "Beartic Mountain Feud!" Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default "Beartic Mountain Feud!" Review Thread

BW46 - Beartic Mountain Feud!

Ash and his friends continue to travel to Nimbasa when they spot an injured Cubchoo on rocky terrain! The whole group, including Meowth, search for any fruit or berries that can heal Cubchoo. After finding an Oran berry, three angry Beartic burst out of the bushes and look ready to strike and they are still angry even after Cubchoo speaks to them. Can Meowth reunite the Cubchoo with its friends with his negotiating abilities?

Blog Entries

Default Re: "Beartic Mountain Feud!" Review Thread

"....storm a couple days ago" *sees Cubchoo* Me: How in the world was that thing still okay after two days? Everyone wants Meowth. Geez, thanks a lot, Iris. You're so afraid of Ice types you want to abandon us. *notices that the starters look way smaller than Pika one moment, and are then the correct size the next* No kidding, Meowth. That snot is creepy. I find it interesting that Tepig has a conscience in this matter. A subtle allusion to it's past? Not very eventful, really.
    Step into the Fairy circle

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Why does the word Meowthiator pop up on my Closed Captioning every time Meowth says negotiator?

...Wait, "The Beartic Mountain Feud?"

What's with the "The?"

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mienfoo deserved a better debut than this.

They'd better make up for this in the future. The Mienshao line's my ultimate favorite Gen V Pokemon. If they're both relegated to ho-hum fillers owned by the most dull CotDs this series can concieve (though his voice sounded kind of distinct... that wouldn't be Tom Wayland, would it?), I'll just have to hate BW even more.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Decent end to Meowth's little filler arc. Cubchoo was cute, and they somehow managed to make Beartic sound a bit more threatening than Georgia's did.
    Liked how they continued Iris's fear of Ice types, something which actually got the gang in trouble.

Orange And Black October Serperiority's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Serperiority On Twitter
    Visit Serperiority's Youtube Channel

This episode was decent. Could be better.

Nice to be seeing Mienfoo for the first time. He was epic.

Love how they carried on Iris's Ice-type fear. Very entertaining. I would like to imagine her in the gym in Icirrus City.

Too bad that this is the last episode with Meowth in the gang. Sad to see him go.

The subway part was very bada**. I now love Ingo and Emmet thanks to their epicness. Can't wait till the next episode. Still can't believe that it took them this long to get to Nimbasa City.

Serperior99 Fanclub | Bulbagarden's Californian Club | From the Serperior's Lair, My Blog
    I've claimed Serperior, Overgrow, Bicycle, Poke Ball, & Pokemon White Version

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Easily the weakest of the Meowth episodes, it was pretty darn boring, and I doubt I'll remember a thing about it in a few years time. Still, Cubchoo and Mienfoo are among my favourite Pokemon, plus, any episode with Iris squirming is okay in my book.

Man, Ingo and Emmet are way more scary than I thought they'd be, I'd much rather meet Jessie & James down that dark subway.

Since when did Quick Guard prevent Icy Wind from hitting? Did they get the move mixed up with Wide Guard?

It's been fun to have the old Meowth back. I'm really going to miss him.

Who is this git?

Blog Entries

Geez TPCi, how about a little diversity in your VA's - it feels like the guy you've got to voice Cliff voices every secondary character ever.

Hold on, wrong show - that's Christopher Sabat! I admit I nerdgasm'd slightly when I heard Yamcha on Pokemon. Hopefully he comes back for another role at some point.

Anyway, the way Meowth's been dubbed this arc has been surprisingly adequate, hardly as charming or cute as Nyarth - but DP would've been much better if TR was dubbed with a little less emphasis on the schtick they were given like Meowth has been for the past few weeks.

A decent episode. Cubchoo was cute, and it was awesome to see Mienfoo, not to mention the pure ferocity of those wild Beartic. As the Meowth arc comes to a close, I have to ask: does it seem weird for Meowth to keep calling Ash and friends "twerps", if he's trying to act as their friend? Then again, it would be weird to hear him call them by their real names.

Y Rotation Team

Dude, was that Sabat?! Nerd senses... tingling.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by TPrower
    does it seem weird for Meowth to keep calling Ash and friends "twerps", if he's trying to act as their friend? Then again, it would be weird to hear him call them by their real names.
    He didn't in the Japanese version. He called Satoshi and his friends by name, which was, well, very weird.

Shame the dub didn't carry that over.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Moe
    Blog Entries

I'm glad Meowth was very aware of what a creepy concept Cubchoo is. Equally glad we didn't have to see a Cubchoo snort its snot.

Basically all my favourite moments this week were Meowth related, his mocking of Oshawott was great, their interaction as a whole was good. And I like how capturing Meowth was a running gag throughout this arc rather than just that one time with Iris.

Cilan was way too quick identifying the Mienfoo, it was just a blur at that point. Considering he was slightly unsure about Cubchoo's id when looking right at it, it's a bit unbelievable he'd instantly know a Mienfoo by a blur.

Team Rocket's comments at the end are a bit odd as well - how is a Pikachu capture plan supposed to put fear in the hearts of the people of the city? The importance they are building up this week to what their actual plan is doesn't really fit.

The rest was fairly forgettable, surely there's something more than food that Pokemon fight over in the wild?

To answer a previously voiced concern about why closed captioning references Meowth in conjunction with the word negotiator:

the japanese original makes the exact play on Meowth's name in the Meowth arc debut episode: Nyarth, and Negotiator. Combining the two in a very-American pun. So I may hazard a hypothesis and say the Americanized (dubbed version, anyway) name for the episode pre-release (when Bulbapedia does it's direct translation) is that pun, exactly. At the least. The closed captioner may have picked up on that, or may indeed have mistakenly made the correlation that Meowth is saying that silly mash-up word instead of the correct one due to Meowth's New Yorker (albeit nasal) accent. I almost hear the Meowthiator line myself, despite knowing better.

That aside: I liked the Episode as a whole. At times, which group of Beartic we were dealing with was confusing for a good portion, but manageable. That, and the suspense they draw towards Meowth's possible capture at every turn is getting on my nerves, despite enjoying greatly the fact that he ends up in a Pokeball every episode. We all should have seen it coming when Don George made the remark that a talking Meowth is as rare as an Umbreon in Unova back in Ep. 5.

Blog Entries

Was I the only one who was expecting Cliff to yell "WOLF FANG FIST?"
    Bandit Keith likes this.

Post Re: "Beartic Mountain Feud!" Review Thread

This week's episode can be described fairly quickly: It was decent, not very special but not all too bad either.

When we learned about the feud between the two Beartic groups, Romeo and Juliet first came to my mind. I thought that the reason for the Bearctic from the foot of the mountain to hate that lost Cubchoo was because the latter was probably in love with another Cubchoo from the other group but due to a long-lasting quarrel between both "families", they were forbidden to see each other. You know, unrequitted love, tragedy and so on... Shakespeare says hi.
    Two households, both alike in dignity,
    In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
    From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
    Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
    From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
    A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life; (...)

As for the reason for the feud, I have to say that fighting over food is really getting old and boring. I don't want to know how many episodes there have already been revolving around that topic. It gives the impression that Pokemon, especially big powerful ones, are mindless monsters without reason, incapable of settling a duspute peacefully. (We all know that it's mostly the other way round)
    The story sure started promising but by the middle of it, the whole thing had become way too familiar and predictable. And when I saw those rocks shaking (By the way, how come a fire-type move can destory a rock?), it was clear as day what would finally help the two groups become reconciled again. Working together to avoid some kind of imminent danger is a great thing but this motif has already been used countless times and I'd rather the writers had come up with something more creative.
    But as for the rest of the episode, I was quite happy with how it was developing.

Quote Originally Posted by Serperiority View Post
    Too bad that this is the last episode with Meowth in the gang. Sad to see him go.
    Oh, too bad to hear that! I've already gotten used to Meowth accompanying the twerps. I guess we'll have no choice but face the truth: Without Meowth traveling with Ash and co, BW will most likely go back to those boring cheap plot lines, meaning no excitement, no character development and, to make things worse, no improvement whatsoever when it comes to Ash's Pokemon! Happy New Year...

By the way, there won't be an episode on Christmas Eve next Saturday, will there?
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast