REVIEW: "Battling For The Love of Bug-Types!" Review Thread

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: "Battling For The Love of Bug-Types!" Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default "Battling For The Love of Bug-Types!" Review Thread

BW23 - "Battling For The Love of Bug-Types!"

After helping out with the swarm in Castelia City, Ash challenges the Castelia City Gym Leader Burgh, for a 3 vs 3 match! Will Ash's first choice of Tepig be a smart one, and will Ash win the Insect Badge?

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Battling For The Love of Bug-Types!" Review Thread

If I hear one more "flavor" from Cilan, I'm going to lose it.

Oh well, great match, though the tail thing, as far as I remember, came TOTALLY out of nowhere. Was that ever mentioned before?

Blog Entries

Hello, resolved offscreen. What an unusual ref. Hmmm...Ash has learned from the Unova pokemon, taking away it's defense. Interesting. Again, I'm left wondering how in the world one of Ash's pokemon can take so much punishment. And how come something portrayed as being strong can be taken out in only a few hits. This TR scene is so strange to see, but the motto is fabulous. A somersault into the Leaf Storm? And people say this arc doesn't have continuity with the last. Pretty good, but it's still formulaic in nature.
    Queen Cynthia likes this.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Hooray! Team Rocket hasn't gone back to doing alliterations!
    Musashi likes this.

Blog Entries

The gym battle was boring and Yamask's voice was almost as awful as I feared. At least nothing was edited, though I do feel bad for all the kids out there who are confused about the many dropped plot lines.

But I really love the summery for this episode.

Ash gets his chance to face off against Burgh, the Castelia City Gym Leader! Burgh is an expert on Bug-type Pokémon and a formidable opponent. Can Ash find the winning combination of powerful Pokémon and battle smarts to claim victory? And what has Team Rocket done to earn the silent treatment from the boss?
    Looks like someone wasn't told about the skipped episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Homu Homu... View Post
    Oh well, great match, though the tail thing, as far as I remember, came TOTALLY out of nowhere. Was that ever mentioned before?
    It learned Electroball in that episode with the three ducks. It looks like that move was heavily featured in the Rocket/Plasma episodes, so that's why it feels more random here.

Listenin' to Dragons...! LightningKimba's Avatar
    Follow LightningKimba On Twitter Add LightningKimba on Facebook
    Follow LightningKimba on Tumblr Visit LightningKimba's Youtube Channel

Sewaddle has seriously grown on me since it's debut in the anime, and I honestly felt kind of bad it lost against Leavanny, considering how its expression as a Swadloon pretty much screams to me as "Come at me, bro. 8<".

Honestly, I liked this ep, was fun to see, even if I don't watch the anime as I used to.
    martianmister likes this.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ehh123 View Post
    Hooray! Team Rocket hasn't gone back to doing alliterations!
    Shush. You'll jynx it....

Sewaddle I did there?

*Someone throws a tomato at me*

Yeah, I deserved that.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    The gym battle was boring and Yamask's voice was almost as awful as I feared. At least nothing was edited, though I do feel bad for all the kids out there who are confused about the many dropped plot lines.

But I really love the summery for this episode.

Looks like someone wasn't told about the skipped episodes.

It learned Electroball in that episode with the three ducks. It looks like that move was heavily featured in the Rocket/Plasma episodes, so that's why it feels more random here.
    I know. I was talking about the balance being ruined if its tail is binded.
    Egghatch likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Egghatch on Tumblr Visit Egghatch's Youtube Channel

I've never seen an episode focusing almost entirely on a gym battle. It was pretty cool to see how all the different moves looked (I haven't watched BW much...), but as the battle continued, it got repetitive.
    Floop.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

My thoughts on this gym battle are as follows;

Blog Entries

This was an average episode. The battle started off really well; however, as it progressed, it got really repetitive and bland. I loved Swadloon and its voice. And I'm really glad that Team Rocket was dubbed well, compared to the late DP episodes. Something that bothered me was how Ash made this really sudden comeback when Sewaddle had nearly no energy left. And Cilan continues to annoy me with his food talk.

So overall, I give this episode:

5.5 points out of 10

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Team Rocket goes back to white uniforms and their pikachu obsession after all this buildup? The single biggest improvement to the anime after several hundred episodes just turned out to be a temporary gimmick that couldn’t even last for 30? To say I’m disappointed would be an understatement.

I obviously can't speak for future episodes, but based on what I saw today, here's what I have to say.

As for the episode itself, at least the gym battle only took up one episode.

As for Team Rocket, their re-imagined look and role in the latest series of the Pokémon anime has been one of the biggest departures from the earlier seasons, and it was basically the main reason I started following it again once the dubs started airing in the US.

It was bad enough that the plot that Jessie, James, and Meowth’s new role in the anime revolved around vanished spontaneously right before the payoff due to Rocket Vs. Plasma being removed from the continuity indefinitely, but then in the episode we get in its place they’ve reverted to their old white uniforms and evidently their tired obsession with stealing Pikachu as well.

This is especially baffling to me since they made a bigger on-screen deal of them getting their old uniforms back than when they appeared with more traditional black TR uniforms and a immense boost in competence with no specific explanation given, which I thought they could have built up a bit more since this makeover was first teased back in the last eipsode of Sinnoh League Victors and was arguably being built up since the fall of Team Galactic.

Additionally, I REALLY don’t know how they’re going to even work around Rocket Vs. Plasma now since I hear they’ve preemptively rectonned yet to be aired episodes to accommodate Rocket Vs. Plasma happening WELL after it was originally planned, which was when Jessie and James still had their black outfits, while in the preview of RVP they obviously still had their black suits.

I’ll give the anime a chance, but I have to say, the whole mess with Rocket Vs. Plasma's uncertain future combined with the Team Rocket Trio apparently reverting to their pre-Unova outfits and behavior, a huge part of my motivation for following this series has been deflated.

To elaborate, I didn’t DISLIKE Team Rocket in Sinnoh at all, but when the few episodes where Team Rocket teamed up with, temporarily befriended, or accidentally fought alongside the main characters the most interesting, I realized that their role as antagonists was becoming lost in a obligation the writers felt to have them in every single episode and to lose horrible every time.

Shouldn’t the villains pose a serious threat to the heroes when they do choose to appear rather than serving as a minor, daily, easily overcome nuisance? Even though the good guys always have to win, shouldn’t it feel like a big victory to defeat the villain? Popeye did a good job of this for example, Bluto came off as a real threat to the characters and you WANTED to see how Popeye and the other characters would manage to defeat him, even if it was predictable, you never knew quite when or how Popeye would get his hands on the spinach he needed to save the day.

Even if the viewer knows that the good guys are going to win, when the heroes act as though they are aware of this as well, the whole element of conflict and suspense is ruined.

Even Team Rocket goes back to their old antics and gimmick robots, if the writers at least keep this in mind, the Team Rocket trio may still be a worthwhile and interesting element of the anime asides from mere convention and the fact that they’re fan favorites. I’ll still like them either way, but won’t forget the potential the writers built up and then tossed to the wind.

Blog Entries

Let's keep the Rocket's overal role in Best Wishes to this thread and not go too offtopic on the Plasma episodes. This thread is about the dub of BW23 in which Ash battles Burgh.

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    Let's keep the Rocket's overal role in Best Wishes to this thread and not go too offtopic on the Plasma episodes. This thread is about the dub of BW23 in which Ash battles Burgh.
    I just mentioned that briefly because that's an direct concern this episode brings up, I'm still talking about their role in the series as concerned to the developments in this episode, that was one facet of what I spoke of.

Blog Entries

Except for the fact they didn't act any differently in today's episode than in any other. Don't let the old uniforms fool you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrainStationH View Post
    I just mentioned that briefly because that's an direct concern this episode brings up, I'm still talking about their role in the series as concerned to the developments in this episode, that was one facet of what I spoke of.
    You went onto how they were in DP and how they should pose more of a threat in general.
    My point stands. Now let's get back on topic.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast