Like Tree16Likes

Thread: "Ash and Trip's Third Battle!" Review Thread

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Default "Ash and Trip's Third Battle!" Review Thread

BW031 - Ash and Trip's Third Battle!

Whilst wandering away so as to give Cilan space to prepare a meal, Ash and Iris run into rival trainer Trip and his Vanillite. Ash challenges him to a three-on-three battle. Trip is reluctant to accept at first, having shown greater interest in Iris and Axew, but eventually relents. Who will emerge victorious? What is the driving force behind Trip’s desire to become a great trainer? And why does the sight of Vanillite reduce Iris to a shivering wreck?!

Blog Entries

Default Re: "Ash and Trip's Third Battle!" Review Thread

Good episode! Trip was actually pretty amusing especially with his camera, Cilan getting mad for once was pretty funny too "Will you stop it!"

Avatar loading... 23% Missingno. Master's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I missed the episode. Who read the title card?

Super Moderator Paperhorse's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Paperhorse on Tumblr

It was an okay episode, although I found the interaction between Trip and Iris more amusing and fun than Trip and Ash. Trip’s flashback was cute though. They are at least *trying* to develop his character more.Alder seems like an interesting champion, for now.

Honestly, I would have rather watched Cilan make lunch than watch most of the battle :p

Say what you will about Trip, but I will forever love him and the episodes he's featured in. I really enjoyed the scene between him and Iris. I want more :|

Ash and Pikachu, go sit down somewhere, it's not nice to interrupt and demand a battle when cool people are talking, your childishness is showing.

I still think Ash should have just bought Oshawott some swim goggles to wear so he could see underwater. Then sometime later in the series, he loses them like during an underwater battle or while trying to save Ash, (because we all know Ash is like a magnet for death and near death experiences ) causing him to overcome his fear of opening his eyes, now that would have been a nice way to conquer his fear.

I like Timburr's voice better than Dokkora's.
    Adyniz and martianmister like this.
    "Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face."

Blog Entries

Oh wow, what an uninspired title. KODOMO NE, IRIS!!!!! Dag you, Ash, when will you stop trying to show off for your rivals? Not to mention for some reason, I thought you got over recklessly challenging them, too. I guess I underestimated what DP did. You know what? Poopie on you, Trip. Cheren may have been a douche, but at least he wasn't self entitled. (and neither was Paul) BTW, Ash, your enthusiasm is admirable, but you really should stop messing around. Now Trip's complimenting his erratic battle style? How strange
    Duque likes this.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

What did "It's waiting in vain time" become?

Woah. See Grave-E contribute.

it was a good episode! weird how their making good endings to episodes now. its lunch time, more like stand-up-to-the-chef time!

Orange And Black October Serperiority's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Serperiority On Twitter
    Visit Serperiority's Youtube Channel

This was a pretty good episode. The episode title, as Trip would say, is basic.

I love the part when Cilan got all angry. All because of just a leaf.

I'm starting to like Trip more. His Pokemon are AWESOME.

So that's how Vanillite is pronounced!

Also, Ash was so dumb when he was like, "Wait, there's a champion in Unova too?" Well, Ash, why were you gathering badges for?

Serperior99 Fanclub | Bulbagarden's Californian Club | From the Serperior's Lair, My Blog
    I've claimed Serperior, Overgrow, Bicycle, Poke Ball, & Pokemon White Version

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Serperior99 View Post

Also, Ash was so dumb when he was like, "Wait, there's a champion in Unova too?" Well, Ash, why were you gathering badges for?
    At least he knows there are such thing as champions.

I still need to watch the episode, but I always liked this one.
    GAME OVER
    RETURN OF GANON

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

While I never disliked him, this is the first episode where I really LIKED Cilan and enjoyed his presence in the show.

I have mixed feelings about Trip and the battle itself.

One one hand, I feel like the unlikable/jerky rival has been kinda played out in the series to this point, especially with the intensity and near antagonistic role of Paul in the last series which Trip seems like a milder version of, but getting some backstory about his relationship with the Champion added to his character and made me dislike him less.

I'm glad to see them placing emphasis early on on the Unova Champion, as was the case in the games, and I hope this thread delivers in a similarly satisfactory way, though with certain changes already made, its questionable if it's even possible at this point.

As for the battle, I'm not annoyed by Ash not always using the Pokémon with an obvious type advantage, but its so predictable at this point that it just strikes me as annoying and dumb.

I'm sort of surprised that Trip would make the assumption of assuming a Pokémon's talent and ability can be judged purely on its evolutionary stage, and I actually LOVE the fact that he used his camera to highlight the fact that Oshawott has been closing his eyes while using Aqua Jet this whole time, causing him to miss the target. This is one of those elements that reflect the actual "training" of a Pokémon, which in some regards has been represented in the anime as in the game as just a matter of fighting experience causing the Pokémon to become stronger, while in actuality it would probably have a great deal to do with technical things and habits as well.

Also, Team Rocket deserves a special pay bonus for NOT showing up. Perhaps they can use it to save up and re-purchase the black uniforms, fedoras, and trenchcoats they apparently pawned in order to afford the mechs they've been using in their last few appearances.

I nearly forgot to mention Timburr's debut in the anime. While I already liked Timburr from the video and card games, I didn't expect it to looks so cool/cute and huggable in the anime! I like the way they show it fighting and manuvering using his 2x4.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The way that this episode started out was very awkward. Ash and Iris were seen jumping between vines in the middle of a forest, while Cilan was tending to their lunch. As Cilan told them that their lunch was ready, Ash and Iris decide to have a race to the largest tree in the forest. Ash manages to slip up somewhere and ends up falling off a cliff where Trip is attempting to catch a Palpitoad, but he ends up throwing a Poke Ball at Ash instead.

I felt that the writers were overworking themselves trying to not have Cilan witness this battle, as they don't want him to "taste" Trip until the time was right.

I was very satisfied with Trip's characterization in this episode, and this makes him a little more unique than simply the rival who ignores Ash's requests to battle him. Since Trip only wanted to challenge Iris to a battle upon seeing that she has a Dragon-type pokemon, it is clear that his purpose is to challenge as many strong trainers and pokemon as he possibly can. His backstory with the Champion Alder further supports why Trip has refused to battle Ash in subsequent rematches. Ash simply could not live up with his expectations. Trip only reluctantly battled Ash here to prove a point, and it didn't work.

Although this battle was simple hit or miss for both parties, the final match-up was very interesting. Trip had purposely sent out his Vanillite, an Ice-type pokemon, against Ash's fire-type Tepig. Trip only did this because he wanted to see if Ash's battling style can apply for him. Even though the final result was a draw, Trip was dissatisfied by Ash's training style.

Another important plot issue that was brought up was Trip identifying that Ash's Oshawott was unable to master its Aqua Jet because its eyes were closed. This was something that we all have observed since Oshawott learned Aqua Jet back in Nacrene City.

This episode brought a lot of interesting subplots to the table while at the same time providing a decent battle between Ash and Trip.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wait a minute, Ash said, "There's a Champion in Unova TOO?"

Emphasis on "too." Does that make a minor reference to Cynthia? Did the writers actually acknowledge the past in BW?
    djulienr and Girly Princess like this.

Chandelure Chao Super Chao Maniac's Avatar

I liked this episode, because Vanillite is in it.

And I liked the fact that Trip realizes that Oshawott can't open his eyes underwear by taking pictures.

I claimed Chandelure, Levitate,Horn Drill and Dusk Stone!

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Wait a minute, Ash said, "There's a Champion in Unova TOO?"

Emphasis on "too." Does that make a minor reference to Cynthia? Did the writers actually acknowledge the past in BW?
    He knows there are champs in Sinnoh, Kanto, and Hoenn as well so it's a reference to past. BW isn't a reboot, that was a mistranslation that fans still like to cling to and believe to be true.

Anyway, is this some type of Snivy foreshadowing? xD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast