AG 101 (102?): "Seaman! The Elite Four Drake Enters!" - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AG 101 (102?): "Seaman! The Elite Four Drake Enters!"

Quote Originally Posted by NeoKuwa
    Erm, if I remember correctly, there was as small tournament before the Orange League. It was mentioned, and it showed Ash winning a few matches. But unlike the Kanto League, they didn't bother to show the bulk of the matches themselves in a torunament format.
    I don't recall anything of the sort.
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Hmm. You're right.

This makes absolutely no sense. No wonder nobody recognizes the Orange League as being an official league. There's no tournament or competition. It's just 5 freaking Gym Leaders.

That really sucks. I don't know why I thought there was a tournament before hand. Maybe because that's the only way it would possibly make sense?

Aaargh. It's less a league or association than it is 5 trainers with too much time on their hands.

SOOOOONANSU!!

Erm, if I remember correctly, there was as small tournament before the Orange League. It was mentioned, and it showed Ash winning a few matches. But unlike the Kanto League, they didn't bother to show the bulk of the matches themselves in a torunament format.
    Actully that DID happen...in Toshiro Ono's manga ^_^.

I thought this episode was ok, but it wasn't as cool as I'd been exspecting. I wish Ash's battle with Drake could have been longer, maybe they should have made it 3 on 3. Even though it wasn't exactly the same as the Lorelie episode, it is still kind of repetitive to have Ash become over confidant AGAIN! Didn't we just have an "Ash loses because of overconfidence" battle back in Dewford? On another note I don't get why Brock seemed like he wanted to stop Ash from battling Drake. And is it just me, or did Drake look like Giovanni with a mustache?
    Jessie and James together forever!!!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!!!! Save me!

Eternal defender of Tracey Sketchit. Brock lovers beware ^_^.

"Like the moon over
    the day, my genius and brawn
    are lost on these fools" - Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeoKuwa
    I've heard it translated as "4 Heavenly Emperors".

Good episode, I guess. I would've prefered it if Ash had managed to KO at least ONE of Drake's Pokemon. Maybe they'll have a rematch one day?

I wonder if we're finally going t o see all of the E4 in one reigon? That would be a nice change of place. I'm still frustrated that Will and Karen were basically totally forgotten about in Johto. Especially Since Dark Types never really had a proper introduction or explanation - and Karen would've been the perfect one to do that.
    Agatha was ALSO a no-show. The Agatha characters who rented Hoot-Hoot in early Johto were Suzu and Kane in japanesse according to what I have, whereas the "real" Agatha is Kikuko in Japanesse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

I know that, but I figure the anime writers may be implying that Agatha kicked the bucket before Ash ever got a chance to meet her.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Or at least retired. Or perhaps doesn't exist at all (*coughGary'ssister*cough* *coughJaninecough*)

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

And you still wonder why I'm anti-anime-canon :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketshipper
    Even though it wasn't exactly the same as the Lorelie episode, it is still kind of repetitive to have Ash become over confidant AGAIN!
    He didn't seem to become as overconfident as he had in the past as far as I could tell. The real big thing about this episode was Drake telling him more than simply the flaw of being overconfident, but more telling him to focus only on the battle at hand, not thinking that since he won even against the same type of Pokemon in the past that he'll win again, something like that. The battles actually symbolized this, Pikachu being beaten by a Shellgon (it had been on its way to beating a Bagon earlier in the series) and Grovyle being beaten by an Altaria (though it beat Winona's).

Anyway, my rather unimformed impression was that the episode was more about how to use confidence appropriately (after all, Drake was certainly confident) without weakening your judgement. This seems a bit different from the old "don't get overconfident" moral.

Didn't we just have an "Ash loses because of overconfidence" battle back in Dewford?
    I thought that was more about Ash's presumptions than simple overconfidence. He didn't take Brawly seriously because he believed he was a lazy, do-nothing gym leader and thus he should be able to beat him easily. What looked like overconfidence was more Ash trying to go against his prejeduce being proven wrong. Note that when he loses Ash seems more upset that he lost to Brawly than that he simply lost, since he thought Brawly lacked skills.

And is it just me, or did Drake look like Giovanni with a mustache?
    Not to me, Drake's thinner and doesn't have that same evil glare in his eyes, his face is a different shape too I think, a bit less rounded.
    AKA Jonathan Schmidt

I am the defender of all things Pokemon! I shall defend Pokemon from all who speak against it!

Once a member of the original Bulbagarden, I'm now 22 years old and still love Pokemon.

Mewtwo: "If someday you hear my voice, know it is my spirit... calling across time and space... to yours." *To Ash at the end of Mewtwo Returns*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12