AG 100: ""Mossdeep Gym! Lunatone and Solrock!" (SPOILERS) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AG 100: ""Mossdeep Gym! Lunatone and Solrock!" (SPOILERS)

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I had the wrong episode number up? *doesn't remember* Ah well. Yeah, it should be AG 100.

Anyway, here's an interesting theory on why Ohsubame could get powered up from the lightning, as given by AKA Pokemon Fan on the Pokemasters forums:

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
    And actually Dogasu, in a way it makes sense that Swellow could get powered-up from electricity. It's ability is Guts, which causes its attack power to rise by 50% if it suffers a status ailment. If that lightning strike partially paralyzed it then it would get a power boost. Pikachu of course would get the boost from absorbing a lot of the lightning, probably helping to keep Swellow from being knocked out (though since it learns moves like Endure, Swellow wouldn't have needed it necessarily) since even Ash's Swellow takes damage from electricity, it just is able to resist and push through the effects more than most Flying types.

Not to mention that Swellow are so fast that even when under the paralysis status they can often move faster than Pokemon like Solrock and Lunatone.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on July 6th, 2014

Golden Wang of Justice Mozz's Avatar The Golden Wang of Justice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's garbage. The writers suck homeless choad.
    Wobb!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the Guts theory works, although from the description of the episode, I get the feeling that the writers didn't actually think of it while they were writing it. Usually the action will pause and Brock or Max will explain Ash's secret battle strategy to the audience. This just seemed like "OMG! God and Zeus want Ash to win so they've given Ash's Pokemon the power of the Sun ITSELF!"

Though I know from experience that a Swellow + Facade + Status affliction can do some serious damage - it doesn't seem to be what the writers were thinking of.

More likely it was "There's no way a Pikachu and a Swellow could beat Solrock and Lunatone under normal conditions, but we REALLY want to use them in this battle, so we'll make up some crap and hope everyone buys it."
    Last edited by Zeta; 28th October 2004 at 07:30 PM.

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

I was thinking about this today, and realized something. How likely do you guys think it is that this was put in there as a hint of things to come in the next game? That weather will play more of a part in Pokemon battles?

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude
    3DS: 3050 7720 3499 -- 3DS #2: 2036 8216 4990

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pie
    Pikachu knows Double Team. He's definitely used it before. Only example that jumps to mind, though, is some episode during the Kanto Pokémon League where he and Richie's Pikachu were both using it and confusing Team Rocket's Pokémon. Or maybe I'm thinking of another episode? I do remember Pikachus everywhere...

You know, I'm adding this to my theory that Pikachu's electricity sometimes turns into a Ground type attack. Think about it. He rips Rock/Ground types apart with it (like Brock's Onix...wet or not, it's still a Ground type, isn't it?) but couldn't hit an Aerodactyl with it (when they woke up the Aerodactyl and got Togepi's egg). And now he couldn't hit a non-Ground with Levitate or a Flying type. Then, when they found a way to apply the damage more directly, they destroyed the Rock types. The only type that fits is Ground!

On another note, Ash should really take advantage of this Midas Touch Pikachu has developed.
    Nah, that wasn't Double Team. At least, from the example you gave, anyway. Pikachu and Sparky used their Agility to run around Arbok, confusing her. (Yeah, I think that Arbok is a girl. :p)

Pah, as much as I respect Pokemon Fan, I don't swallow his theory. The writers simply bummed out. No fancy connection to the games. No 'Oh, it's so obvious now I think about it!'. They simply bummed out. :P
    I stream Pokémon episodes and movies at least once a week, follow @PKMNProfessor on Twitter to receive updates on when I'm streaming! (I also tweet any interesting Pokemon based news stories, facts and what I'm currently doing in-game.)

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bummed out? I was under the impression that they lit up.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I admit the Guts theory is nothing more than that. Indeed, it is possible the writer's pulled the win out of a hat, but really, when have they ever done that before (aside from the many times when a random plot element gives them a clue to a strategy) ?

I simply want to withhold my judgement until I know precisely what was said in the episode itself regarding what happened. From the sound of things it seems there wasn't much explanation, at least during the scene itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    Another example of a deux ex machina is Flygon in the Jirachi movie. It just shows up, helps Satoshi for no reason, and then leaves, never to be herad of again.
    I don't see how that is a good comparison. The Flygon had plenty of reason to help, or as much as Absol anyway. It and Absol were the strongest Pokemon in the valley (Jirachi excluded), and depended on Jirachi to keep their home alive. By helping Ash it helped Jirachi, there was no other reason needed. As for why others didn't, it was because they weren't as strong and fast and were absorbed by the false Groudon quite early. Then in the end Flygon and Absol and all the others are freed. Absol and Salamence aren't seen past that scene, and neither is Flygon, since they immediately cut to Jirachi returning to its hibernative state and then to the group leaving the valley, there was little reason or time to show any of them.

<><><>

But back to the episode...

Even if it is contrived and nothing more, I don't see how it could be an example of the writers not being able to figure out another way for Ash to win. Have Swellow learn Steel Wing and/or get a Gut's power-up, Pikachu and Iron Tail. Heck, they could have used the Double Team strategy that Ash tried and ended up with a decent win (try the ever popular method of blocking your approach with the sun's glare). The fact that they didn't makes me wander if there was something more going on.

I simply think all of you should not be so quick to judge it as a poor episode until all the facts are known.

I mean they've never done anything like this with a gym battle before. There could be a good reason it is so unique. Although, the pessimist in me agrees with all of you that it was a big disappointment from what it could have been.

<><><>

Oh, Fighting aside, during the rest of the battle I though Fuu and Ran supported each other quite well. The back-to-back beam firing strategy they were using, along with the way one would bring up a shield to block an attack seem to be evidence of this.
    Last edited by Pokemon Fan; 30th October 2004 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Addressing Dogasu's "deux ex machina Flygon" statement
    AKA Jonathan Schmidt

I am the defender of all things Pokemon! I shall defend Pokemon from all who speak against it!

Once a member of the original Bulbagarden, I'm now 22 years old and still love Pokemon.

Mewtwo: "If someday you hear my voice, know it is my spirit... calling across time and space... to yours." *To Ash at the end of Mewtwo Returns*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12