“Teaching the Student Teacher!” Review Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: “Teaching the Student Teacher!” Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default “Teaching the Student Teacher!” Review Thread

Today’s episode is called “Teaching the Student Teacher!”, with the emphasis on “Teacher”. I sound like a teacher...

This episode was a nice one. I liked how Dawn never gave up on Ice Chandalier, although taking advice from a little kid is quite embarassing. Especially when he shares his name with a tank engine.

This episode kept 5 pieces of Japanese music in total.

- The first piece.
    - Hikari's theme at the beginning of class.
    - Route 201 when Dawn uses Flame Ice.
    - Hikari's theme instrumental when Dawn practices Flame Ice.
    - The music playing when Jessilina wins.

Johanna's alone at the beach... but why? Is it restricted? Will she go to jail?

Neighborly Sweet Buns? Okay...

What kind of a name is Neighborly Town? Is it because it neighbors Sunyshore City? Well, Shelter Town is Neighborly to Snowpoint City, so why isn't it called Neighborly Town, and the Neighborly Town in this episode is Neighborly Town Mark II?

Poor Ash, Johanna didn't give him anything.

I can't wait to see Dawn wearing a box at the Grand Festival!
    Last edited by Mijumaru; 7th August 2010 at 07:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: “Teaching the Student Teacher!” Review Thread

A Dawn centered episode. Yes!

-Johanna appeared!
    -Thomas abusingteasing Piplup was pretty funny.
    -When he wrote on Piplup's face, he reminded me of Jigglypuff. lol
    -Jessie getting a very short contest screentime. There should've been more screentime for it. But she won her 4th ribbon. Good for her.
    -Ice Chandelier is pretty. o.o Wait...I just realized that they kept the JP name...
    -Aww. Thomas and Piplup make up. :]

So yeah, it was a great episode overall. Possibly one of my favorites of DP.

AdvanceShipper Dawn Fan HeatTagShipper

So...Thomas had a crush on Piplup...? <snicker>

Even though nothing "exciting" happened, I liked it. These quiet little episodes with no Big Adventure Crises help add depth and a sense of continuity to the series. Would've liked a bit more of TR's plot, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by V Faction View Post
    Look, it's very simple! Lake Calamity, Lake Acurracy, and Lake Vitality! There it all is, black and white, clear as crystal! And maybe ruby and sapphire.

My Pokémon fics. Let me show you them.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was a pure contest training episode, although it did briefly have Ash teach the kids a thing or two about how to throw a PokeBall and Brock explaining how to tell when a pokemon is healthy. Dawn perfects her contest combination of Ice Chandelier, although she initially had trouble first on how to conduct it.

Oh, and Jessalina also wins her fourth ribbon.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I remember being bored of yet another contest training ep when this one aired in Japan.

I wish we got to see more of Jessie's ribbon win than those kids. But unfortunately the writers feel Jessie must play second fiddle to Dawn.

Thomas it the second best character next to Paul, I wonder why?

Blog Entries

Eh, the episode was just ok. Ice Chandler was really pretty, and it was nice to see Brock teach a few things, but the whole Thomas thing bored me.

Though I'm quite happy we barely saw any of the Contest. The less we see of the Rockets the better.

Blog Entries

I always like to hear Dawn's Theme. The seal gave Seviper electric wings? That's interesting. Of course Ash would teach kids to do the "pokemon getto da ze" pose. Geez, what a jerk kid. They directly translated the combination's name? I don't see that every day. Glowy Hamster Ball will be all over the place in the GF, too. This was a meh ep, though.
    Step into the Fairy circle

PDL

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Though I'm quite happy we barely saw any of the Contest. The less we see of the Rockets the better.
    But your username...

Nevermind that, the episode was alright.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

I think the general idea of these 'training episodes' are good in theory, but their execution leaves a lot to be desired imo. Too much exposition and some flat-out uninteresting banter just make them extremely tedious to sit through. If there's any complaint I have about D/P, it's that there's a bit too much of it, buuuut general consensus is that they're welcome, so what the hell do I know?

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

"Cause this is filler. filling up the time. An hour and a half is just too long for uncreative minds."

Okay, maybe a bit undeserving, but this episode was pure, unleaded filler. Sure, Jessie got her fourth ribbon, but we saw practically none of that. It might as well have just been an off screen mention. And it's not like that's actually that great an event since we already know Jessie's just going to lose at the GF anyways. So frankly my dear I don't give a damn.

As for the beach thing, it was just the cast telling us what they've been doing since AG. I did like how Brock defined breeding. Why is it that they never got him to breed like in the games? It's not like they're different target age groups or anything. But whatever.

Ice Chandelier is an interesting move, but it's... meh. Blue lightning in a ball of blue ice... yeah... whatever.

Thomas wasn't even that interesting a character. He changed WAY too fast in my opinion. I hope Paul doesn't get that treatment.

Although, I do want to say I now ship ThomasXPiplup.

So yeah, meh episode. The whole class thing might have been interesting, but outside of making fun of Anime tropes it was boring. It's just the main characters explaining once again everything we've already seen them do. Whoop de doo.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

thomas was a REALLY INTERESTING CHARACTER!!!! ...hehe. he has funny eyebrows ^_^ and.....nothing else ...thats the only gd bit. i can't believe jessie didnt get more air time though... i would have liked to see haze poison tail combination.... ¬_¬ not fair...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -Ryuutakeshi- View Post
    I did like how Brock defined breeding. Why is it that they never got him to breed like in the games? It's not like they're different target age groups or anything. But whatever.
    "Breeding" doesn't neccesarily mean mating.

breed·ing 
    –noun
    1. the producing of offspring.
    2. the improvement or development of breeds of livestock, as by selective mating and hybridization.
    3. Horticulture . the production of new forms by selection, crossing, and hybridizing.
    4. training; nurture: He is a man of good breeding.
    5. the result of upbringing or training as shown in behavior and manners; manners, esp. good manners: You can tell when a person has breeding.
    6. Energy . the production in a nuclear reactor of more fissile material than is consumed.

Now then, I don't dislike the training episodes. They make for good breather episodes without any world-shattering drama or shenanigans. Every once in a while it's nice to just see the main cast actually do what you'd expect them to spend the majority of their time doing, y'know? I certainly prefer these kind of episodes over having to save the Charcter of the Day's troubled Pokémon from a themed Team Rocket mecha for the millionth time.

As for the episode itself, it reminds me a lot of that Bellsprout Tower/Earl's Pokémon Academy episode in early Johto. Always thought the twerps showing their Pokémon to a group of younger kids was a nice scene, so it was good to see that repeated.

Anyone else want to smack that kid? >.> (Not literally, of course.) I would have expected Brock at least to try and improve his attitude, but instead they more or less just let him run around being a brat until the problem resolved itself.
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

Yeah, the breeding thing goes back ALL the way to the first series. We've known since then that Pokemon Breeding is defined as the caring and raising of Pokemon. It's Pokemon 101, even if it does sound really weird out of context.

I liked the episode when I first saw it and I like it now. One thing I realized is just how nice and supporting the characters have become. Nothing is really said out of turn or replied to with heaps of sarcasm or crass comments. It's very disturbing! Even when little kids are being douches to them, it takes a lot to get Dawn to erupt with anger.

By the way, I really liked the location for this episode. It's got this seaside setting at the bottom of some cliffs. That's a setting I find fits perfect for where they're currently at (between Lake Valor and Sunyshore City).
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Eh, it's just something that always bothered me...

Anyways, one of those kids looks like Black.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast