“Last Call—First Round!” Review Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: “Last Call—First Round!” Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: “Last Call-First Round!” Review Thread

This is certainly the last call for Contests.

The final Grand Festival sure is going out with a bang. Dawn had the best appeal, but everyone's was enjoyable. it was an interesting plot twist to have Kenny lose. While I feel bad for the guy, I'm glad kept Tomioka the Grand Festival unpredictable.

The only downside was the music. These are the final Contests in the show ever PCI. You couldn't keep all the music? The episode really lost the grandness it had because of it.

Hope the Rockets aren't dubbed too horribly next week...

Blog Entries

Long time ago? ...Of course. Nothing like being with a bunch of rivals. You should know, Ash. Aww, she thanked her pokemon. Who would've thought we would actually see evolution as an appeal. Poor Kenny. Dawn's appeal makes me smile. Pretty good, can't wait to see the rest.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    The only downside was the music. These are the final Contests in the show ever PCI. You couldn't keep all the music? The episode really lost the grandness it had because of it.

Hope the Rockets aren't dubbed too horribly next week...
    I agree. I really do hope that they keep all the music in the next episodes, until October 16, because the Grand Festival ends on October 9, and October 16 is probably the Heatran episode.

Please... Opposites Interact! is probably one of my favorite Japanese episodes, mainly because time warps throughout the entire episode, and Ursula.

I also like Coming Full - Festival Circle! and DP177, but Opposites Interact! is my favorite of all of them.

Blog Entries

I think Kenny could've passed if he stopped his appeal after the Aqua Jet + Razor Wind + Metal Claw Combo. Oh and I noticed the voice change, too. I was like, "Wait, that's not Kenny...oh wow it is!"

I think Dawn had the best appeal, too. It's good to see Cyndaquil using the flame on its back for an appeal (remember when it tried to show off for Dawn with its flame in Dressed for Jess Success - it reminds me of that).

Did anyone else laugh when Meowth said remarkable?

PDL

Can we please ban dub music disscusion? It's getting just as annoying as voice actor disscusion.

Although it didn't really work when they had to have the Pokédex jingle over the tense music during Dawn looking up Flareon and Vaporeon.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Blog Entries

Visit The Miniryu's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Victini View Post
    Yay! Someone finally joins! Risky in what way? The fact that they were making out inside the SmokeScreen?
    The fact no one could see her pokemon. She did something similar and lost the appeal round before.
    The wind howls...The rain pours...A figure appears in the darkness...The Minryu approaches..............

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

Nice episode, I liked it!
    I have a question though. In the Japanese version, when Ash ran from Dawn and Brock said he didn't know, he came back and told Dawn 'That's why I got Zoey' but in the dub he said 'you wanted to know why I asked you to come'... I don't get it. What did he mean by that?

Anyway, it was a nice episode to start off the grand festival!

Blog Entries

Alrighty, here we go. They did a pretty good job of establishing that Dawn's storyline has all led up to this - the rivals all mentioning who they've met and where, Dawn and Zoey bringing up their promise to meet in the finals, Brock commenting Dawn's come such a long way, etc.

The appeals were good for the most part, but I especially liked how they all demonstrated the Coordinators' different personalities: Jesselina puts herself in the center of attention, Nando focuses on music, Kenny tries to go for over-the-top power and fails miserably. Not that they don't always do that, but with so many characters participating, it stands out pretty well. Also liked that they decided to kick a charcter out by failing the appeals, especially since the chose the least interesting of the bunch. ;p That seems like leaving before the tournament ended was a pretty unsportsmanship-like way to go about it; not unexpected of the immature Kenny. Reminds me of Gary back in the day.

Well, it only took 174 episodes, but look! Kricketot!

Cyndaquil with fire wings = d'awwwwww. <3333

Oh, sure, Brock, when Dawn asks you to help accessorize then you're clueless, but when Ash asks to make him a costume, you can't wait to put the boy in a tiger-print skirt, an afro, and nothing else. I'm onto you.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubblewrap View Post
    I have a question though. In the Japanese version, when Ash ran from Dawn and Brock said he didn't know, he came back and told Dawn 'That's why I got Zoey' but in the dub he said 'you wanted to know why I asked you to come'... I don't get it. What did he mean by that?
    He was talking to Zoey. I got the impression Brock had gone to Zoey and went, "Hey, could you come with me for a sec?", Zoey asked why, and Brock just replied, "You'll see."

Just trying to spice up the dialogue a bit, I s'ppose. (Edit 2: My edit got ninja'd.)
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblewrap View Post
    Nice episode, I liked it!

Anyway, it was a nice episode to start off the grand festival!
    It probably means that Brock brought Zoey without telling her why.

Quote Originally Posted by poketeen View Post
    I think Kenny could've passed if he stopped his appeal after the Aqua Jet + Razor Wind + Metal Claw Combo. Oh and I noticed the voice change, too. I was like, "Wait, that's not Kenny...oh wow it is!"
    I believe that the new voice actress for Kenny is the same voice for Jessie's Wobbuffet.
    NOTE: I can't say the name 'cause I'll get an infraction.
    The reason why I think this is because her name was in the "Additional Voices" credits at the end of the episode.

Blog Entries

"Dawn, I'm counting on you to make us all look good today" - I love this line xD

EW at the music during Ursula's appeal, it isn't energetic at all...

Oh well, Nando gets shit music as well.

Truely Remeowthable? :D

Erm, did Jessalina enjoy getting hit in that appeal? I swear Candy Musalina didn't.

I love how the standard battle dub music is being used for Zoey's appeal. Way to put something unique in.

I'm really missing that Darkrai music :|

"and bringing the fans to ride along with them!" - I hate these types of appeals xD Ice Poké Ball was cool though.

Ursula/Zoey tension :D

No, DO lose to the girl with the Pluse and Minun.

A bit mehish for the dub. It just wasn't very exciting. 6 out of 10.

Blog Entries
    Add Lord_Mewtwo on Facebook
    Visit Lord_Mewtwo's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Victini View Post
    I counted that, too. What other pieces did I miss?
    They also kept the Jubilife city theme when Dawn & Zoey reunite, the 2nd time Nando's harp plays & when Fantina shows up. As far as keeping the Japanese music goes they'll likely keep it in the next 3 episodes during the actual battles.
    Creator of The How Much Japanese Music Is Kept In The Dub Thread Last updated 8-21-11
    The user formerly known as kenai3000
    Back into Pokemon and am now more of a fan than ever

NY Islander & Ash Fangirl Islander Princess's Avatar

"Zoey, I need your help with accesorizing. Brock's clueless, and Ash just ran away."

Best line that Dawn has ever had XD I was dying.

Pretty good episode. Kenny is a fail boat, liked it when he got hit by draco meteor. I also loved Ash's comment "Dawn is going kind of crazy so I got out of there." Some good lines in this one.
    "I take it very personally when people criticize my game. I want to shove it right back down their throats."
    --Matt Martin

MY FANFICS: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2086119/nyislandersgirl

I Support Pokeshipping <3

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

Oh wow, I'm dumb. Thanks guys!

Oh, sure, Brock, when Dawn asks you to help accessorize then you're clueless, but when Ash asks to make him a costume, you can't wait to put the boy in a tiger-print skirt, an afro, and nothing else. I'm onto you.
    Haha, not only this but he also made her dress and accesories for the Hearthome Festival (was that what it was called?) I guess when it comes to hair he doesn't know.

It was more of a mental thing. Brock got Zoey to calm Dawn down, since she's good at that. Plus, they're friends, so it makes sense.

After watching this eppy and thinking about it for a while... I'm kind of glad to see Contests go away for B&W. Most of the time, in order for them to be great, Contests need to be drawn out or split-up. Almost of all the appeals rounds are quick and cut-n-dry: either Dawn's in or Dawn's out. It really doesn't matter who else wins or loses (as we saw with Kenny today), making the appeals rounds worthless for the most part. The only exciting bits are the Battle Rounds (and even then we don't see ALL of them, just the climax). So I'm excited to see them go.

It also made me think of how tough single Elimination really is. One screw up, like with Kenny, and you're done with no second chances. You go through five contest halls to win 5 ribbons (which are limited as it is) throughout the year, spend all that time working towards your goal, and then don't even make it to the actual Grand Festival (cause like I said in my previous paragraph, there really isn't any point to the appeals round). Such an awkward system that really sucks for most coordinators.

Although, they do say that there are 64 contestants. 5x64=320. Accounting for stragglers who only gained 1-4, that's a lot of ribbons! Makes me wonder if ribbons don't depreciate in use, so that you can keep going year after year without garnering more ribbons. Cause otherwise the number of contests halls is huge (and they'd be holding them practically every day. Marian, Contesta, and Sukizo sure do get around).
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast