REVIEW: “Familiarity Breeds Strategy!” Review Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: “Familiarity Breeds Strategy!” Review Thread

Default Re: “Familiarity Breeds Strategy!” Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PDL View Post
    We're arguing over the orgins of the term "Poker Face".

...This is really the dumbest arguement to have. Seriously.
    Right! I agree we you although I'm clearly aware of the fact that you probably don't agree with me in most cases.
    Instead of concentrating on this masterpiece of an episode, some users are actually arguing about two of the craziest and most embarrassing examples of American pop "culture" (Gaga and Bieber). No, I better stop that, otherwise I'll just get upset....

Anyways...what a FANTASTIC and FLAWLESS episode this was. It was a masterpiece which once again kept me on the edge of my seat right through to the end
    It had all the ingredients you need for a successful episode and the result was brilliant.
    Not only did we get the long and eagerly awaited final showdown between Ash and his undoubtedly strongest rival ever, who seemed to be as strong as always, we also saw some of the most ingenious and clever strategies of all Sinnoh battles AND we got an incredibly attractive Cynthia in such a cool pose!
    The way she pronounced and emphasized the words "evolved" was so dignified and unique, you would think that an angelic aura is radiating from her. And considering both Ash and Paul's background story, I can't help thinking that she is their common guardian angel who watches over them both (as she somehow insinuated in "Losing Its Lustrous")

Also, I loved the so-called minor aspects of the episode, for example the conversation between Paul and Reggie and the former and Dawn or when Ash came out onto the battlefield, which literally looked like a transition from darkness into the light. A great and impressive metaphor indeed!

Yes, the best region so far absolutely deserves a worthy and exciting league and these episodes prove to be the ones we've been waiting for!

Actually, I should give 10 out of 10 point for a flawless episode, but as this is reserved for the perfect episode, namely "The Battle Finale of Legend", I'll give the second highest score

9 out of 10 points

What? No new episodes for the next two Saturdays? come on, how annoying. Next week is Christmas Day, well, that's understandable. But why won't they air a new one on New Year's Day? Does CN suppose that the audience will still be drunk in the morning?
    Last edited by Queen Cynthia; 18th December 2010 at 05:59 PM.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    They made Paul more of an ass in this episode. When he realized Ash was using the same Pokemon...I don't recall him ever calling Ash pathetic, and predictable in the Jap version.
    But it's kinda true it make Ash really easy to read but all in all it's wasn't a bad episode

Blog Entries

Yeah, but the dub is ignoring the character development Paul went through. Hope they knock it off or it'll ruin the end of their battle.

Blog Entries

I would've preferred Ash and Paul's battle to be the final match of the second round but oh well, at least Barry's fandomness cracked me up

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

- Barry
    - ikarishipping
    - vintage Pika

25/10

great eppy. Lookin forward to next 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Yeah, but the dub is ignoring the character development Paul went through. Hope they knock it off or it'll ruin the end of their battle.
    It's also called "Psyching out" or the pokemon term "Swagger".

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

What an episode! I felt tense, even though I've known the outcome for ages.

Was totally surprised by Infernape's Mach Punch to Aggron's jaw. That was excellent. I think Infernape is a little too powerful now; but I get that his sheer strength has to be showcased in a battle with Paul.

I was genuinely surprised that Gastrodon's Ice Beam didn't take Staraptor out completely; good move. I like that Staraptor's been more of a battler than Ash's previous regional bird Pokémon. Now if only they could find some time for his Mamepato to develop...

And Buizel's such a wee badarse. Loved his dodge skills with Cross Poison. I'm really glad they didn't make it evolve into Floatzel; he would've lost all his David / Goliath charm.

Barry's really grown on me since the League started. I like that he's become a temporary member of Ash's group now that he has been knocked out of the League. The way he talks and pronounces certain words make him seem like such a developed character; you'd think he's been in the anime for years and years and years. He's very unique and has so many of his own little quirks; I think he's great.

I was enthralled by this episode. The first time I ever have been by the Pokémon anime. Loved it. :)

Edit: As a bass player and obsessive musician / music fan; I loved the background music for the battle. Especially the bass, which was most noticeable while Gastrodon has Staraptor pinned. There was a brief lull in both the action and the background sounds, sounded great. Really helped set the pace and build the action for me.
    Last edited by Frenzy Plant; 18th December 2010 at 06:52 PM.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

Ugh, of course I slept in today...first day of the break, after all :P

"You look absolutely handsome in that outfit! You're the best cheerleader ever!"

For some reason, I feel these two sentences should never be used consecutively...

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    So that convo between Dawn and Paul brings it to what, 20 or so complete sentences in almost 200 episodes? Almost all of them revolving around Ash.

Yep, that means wuv obviously.
    Can I give you a cookie? I think you deserve one :3 I'll have to admit though, that scene was pretty funny (my initial RAGE aside). Dawn needs to improve her stalking skills, she should take lessons from Conway.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Christmas View Post
    Paul somewhat annoyed me with his overconfidence. I mean, he's never overconfident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Exactly. Dub Paul is a lot harsher with his words. I can maybe see why some people still think that Paul's a complete jerkass. As long as DP188 is left untouched, I'm fine. And as for Paul's overconfidence, I think it may be there just to hide the fact that he thinks Ash is going to be a tough cookie to handle. Or as James puts it, he put on a POKER FACE

OMG COUNTER SHIELD IS LIKE THE BEST HAX EVUUUUR. WHY THE HELL DID PIKACHU NOT REMEMBER IT IN BW??

Haha, naaahh, it's pretty overrated by now. Though I must admit, Gastrodon's CS was pretty cool looking :)

"Gastrodon's got Staraptor pinned down, making full use of its soft body."

. . .

Barry has the right idea...it IS hard to cheer for both sides :/

And what the heck is TCPI's deal with not keeping dramatic echo effects? Would have made the last scene tons better.

Few dub changes made it less enjoyable (I'm looking at you, MUSIC), and Infernape's KO was way too soon. If he's going to KO 3 pokemon, don't let him get the first one AND the last one :/ But, overall, excellent episode.
    Last edited by CommanderPigg; 19th December 2010 at 12:11 AM.

"seasons change, people change"

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

To me, the worst change in the episode came during Paul's and Dawn's conversation:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    "I just don't like him."
    Present tense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinji
    "I used to dislike him."
    Past tense.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

Yeah, that mistranslation perturbed me to no end :/

I can see it being translated both ways, but the dub shows no indication of Paul's possible growth as a trainer...So much for using your past experiences to make you stronger...

"seasons change, people change"

Blog Entries

I don't really know why they changed his dialogue in this episode like they did. It takes away from his characte development. His change is going to feel very cheap in the dub.

At the part where he said "You're pathetic, and predictable.." wasn't it orgninally something like "Really, you're unbelivable" or something?

Blog Entries

Holy...Gliscor can crush Ash's head with that pincer of its!

Or whomp him and give him a concussion.

Whichever works. xD
    New Track: Going Up

Winner of the Most Creative Host, Fair Hosting & Best Mafia Series Awards for the War Room Awards 2012.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I always wondered how the hell Gliscor got so big.

Seriously, WTF? Did the animators forget what Gliscor's size was supposed to be?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderPigg View Post
    as James puts it, he put on a POKER FACE
    OMG There was a Lady Gaga reference in the episode? Considering what Poker face really meant in the song, is this a Coma hint? XD

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

In ragards to Gliscor, my guess is that the size chart they have depicts it standing on it's tail ala. Sugimori's art, and whoever was working on this episode got the wrong idea and assumed it was supposed to be that height normally.
    Still funny though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast