“Coming Full — Festival Circle!” Review Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: “Coming Full — Festival Circle!” Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: “Coming Full - Festival Circle!” Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    I also don't give two craps about Zoey vs. Nando. Sooooo much screentime wasted on their battle.
    This was one of the episode's cons. If they wanted to succeed, they could have made Nando vs. Zoey DP176, Dawn vs. Jessilina DP177, and the final round DP178.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Each person has their own opinion as to what is "important."

I, for one, believe that Zoey VS Nando was absolutely necessary and that it didn't deserve a short battle. Zoey was adamant in her beliefs on how to raise pokemon. She insisted that people must stick to one course of action or else they aren't serious in being trainers. It is for this reason that she was very hostile towards Nando, who chose both paths.

Now she is more open to Nando's choice, admiring his combinations and the level of skill he has. Similarly, Dawn is happy to have witnessed this battle, a fight between two highly skilled coordinators, something she feels she can't replicate.

If you count that as wasted development, so be it.

I am disappointed that Jessalina got the short end of the stick. Her battle was so undeservingly short, treated like nothing more than the usual Rocket battle, especially for the level of progress she reached in Sinnoh alone. Contests were something Jessie placed her heart and soul into, without having to resort to cheating. She had pride in herself as well as the pokemon she used.

Even if it was for the necessity of the plot, I turned away when Jessie gave up on being a coordinator for good. That, even when things seemed tough, she would rather turn tail and run than accept any criticism to improve herself.

Jessie is a main character and deserves a lot more than a petty sendoff. It is a pity that the writers decided to go through with the four episode Grand Festival arc. They could have at least extended the battle to the first half of the next episode and gave her a fighting chance, like they did with Harley and Drew back in Advanced Generation.

So my opinion on the setup of this episode is mixed.
    Last edited by Ampharos King; 2nd October 2010 at 10:56 AM.

Blog Entries

"Jessie isn't a big enough character to warrant a longer battle?" Are you serious? She's a main character and has been doing Pokemon Contests for three regions now. And unlike, say, Nando, she actually has interactions with Dawn.
    The Rockets have never been treated as big characters. It doesn't matter how long they've been around, or what they do, they'll always come last. Since Contests were just a little side thing for Jessie other Coordinators, as rarely as they may appear, always got priority since that was their main thing. Dawn and Jessie's Contest arcs, to me, have always felt like two separate stories that occasionally interacted.

I think everyone just needs to remember what the Rockets place in this show is. There was no reason to ever think Jessie would get a lot screen time here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos King View Post
    Even if it was for the necessity of the plot, I turned away when Jessie gave up on being a coordinator for good. That, even when things seemed tough, she would rather turn tail and run than accept any criticism to improve herself.
    If you're referring to next week's episode, that's not how it happened at all.

This ep makes me wish we had seen more of Nando. Can anyone say the way he's always calm in battle isn't cool? Plus he has some pretty badass pokes.

I thought it was pretty funny to see how most of the finalist were dealing with their stress, and then cut to Jessie excited about how famous she's gonna be, not concerned about losing at all.

I guess I would have liked to have seen more of Jessie's battle, but it's not like they suddenly started then darted to the end. We got to see some cool bits.

9/10

Blog Entries

"Jessie isn't a big enough character to warrant a longer battle?" Are you serious? She's a main character and has been doing Pokemon Contests for three regions now. And unlike, say, Nando, she actually has interactions with Dawn.
    You know, I agree. They make this big deal (okay, not that big a deal) with Jessie winning five ribbons and finally making it to the GF after regions' of failed attempts and what happens when she gets there? We see a bit of her appeals and don't even get to see any of her battles before she loses to Dawn in less than 10 seconds.

Oh and we're to assume she has what it takes to make it to the Top 4 just like that too. Dawn, Zoey, Nando, no problem but Jessie!? :/ Not saying we should've seen Dawn vs Jessie in its entirety but at least any battle, even a curbstomp one, with her would be nice.

PDL

To be fair... we do see battles between Dawn and Jessie very regularly, but not in the contest setting. But I do agree that they should have devoted an entire episode to Dawn and Jessie's battle, but what can you do now?
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Blog Entries

Not much to say about this episode. It was cool.

Next episode, the ultimate and final contest battle of the series. Can't wait!

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Once again I'll say that the anime is the only thing that makes me enjoy contests. Nando Vs. Zoey was beautiful. As for Dawn vs. Jessie... well, we all knew Dawn would win so there really was no point in dragging it out.

A good episode.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

Very nice episode. I loved the battle.
    I really liked frozen seviper too, haha.

Also the point where Dawn said 'I could watch this forever' and Ash and Brock where like 'Huh? Forever?' made me laugh.

After not having written a review last week because I was so outraged at how totally exaggerated and logically flawed that episode was, I'm happy to tell you that I liked this week's episode again

HOWEVER: The episode was a two-edged sword as well.
    On the one hand, we had a truly brilliant battle between Zoey and Nando throughout which I was totally delighted and excited, on the other the writers not only skipped two entire rounds (round 2 and 3), but also rushed through the Jessalina vs. Dawn battle as if it were an unimportant opener or whatever.

Firstly, why in the world did they have to skip two entire rounds? Wanting us to assume that it is Zoey, Nando, Dawn and Jessalina of all people who make it to the semi-finals with ease is not only bad and predictable plot-writing, it also reminds me once again of cheap old DEM tricks. Yes, I could explode whenever they seem not to be able to think of any other solution than relying on DEM plot devices.
    WHY couldn't the writers just forgo unimportant episodes like "Regaining Home Advantage" or "Dealing With A Fierce Double Ditto Drama" ? Nobody would have missed them, but now we DO miss at least one further episode dedicated to contest battles...
    I somehow feel cheated and I can't get my head around it, so all I can say is: "What a crazy world we live in sometimes!"

Secondly, the showdown between Jessalina and Dawn was an unworthy match, plain and simple, and I'm delighted to see that so many of you actually agree with me on this! Once again, writers, cut out one unnecessary filler and you have plenty of time for a breath-taking and, above all, worthy battle which does justice to both Dawn AND Jessie
    you know what? I can't help thinking that the writers just couldn't be bothered to make up another battle as epic as the one between Zoey and Nando!

But as I don't want my review to end on a sour note, I'm once again emphasizing how much I enjoyed Zoey vs. Nando. Considering that contests are going to come to an end soon, it'll probably go down in history as one of the best contest battles ever!
    I'd also like to make a BGM request: What's the piece of music called which was playing while Nando's Lopunny was eliminating the Double Team attack with Blizzard?
    IT WAS PURELY EPIC and moved me as only a few other pieces of BGM can.

Yes, as I said before, it was an episode with drawbacks but also fantastic moments. Now I'm really torn how much points I should give. Let's say:

7 out of 10 points
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Aaron's theme played during the battle. And was left in the dub! Anyway, decent battle all around. Wish we could have seen more of the second one though.

Inside a blue box that is bigger on the inside
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    HOWEVER: The episode was a two-edged sword as well.
    You seem very fond of this phrase, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    Wanting us to assume that it is Zoey, Nando, Dawn and Jessalina of all people who make it to the semi-finals with ease is not only bad and predictable plot-writing, it also reminds me once again of cheap old DEM tricks.
    How is it predictable when previous tournaments never had a semi-final filled with re-occurring characters? In the old tournaments, the lesser rivals would always be systematically eliminated by the main character or the darkhorse winner, so having the final four be all characters we're familiar with makes the finals all that more exciting since you won't be inclined to believe there's a clear winner here.

Also, please tell me what was so DEM about their victories. Each of them won the matches cleanly and since there isn't any outside circumstances affecting their performance, I can't possibly see how any of this is the work of a DEM.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    There was no reason to ever think Jessie would get a lot screen time here.
    There were plenty of reasons. Other than Dawn, of course, Jessie got the most screentime of any other Coordinator this arc. We actually get to see her win all five of her ribbons, something we don't even get with Zoey. The writers also used this arc to develop Jessie by showing us that if she doesn't cheat and does try to do things fairly, she can actually succeed for a change.

And really, no matter what you think of Jessie's role in the show, you can't seriously say that a Top 4 match only deserves a quick 60 second battle. Ending a Coordinator's SEVEN YEAR RUN with a quickie battle like that is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ryuutakeshi-
    Nando Vs. Zoey was beautiful. As for Dawn vs. Jessie... well, we all knew Dawn would win so there really was no point in dragging it out.
    We knew Zoey was going to win her battle as well, yet that got dragged out.

Or, to put it another way:

If the episode has been 1/2 Nando vs. Zoey and 1/2 Jessie vs. Dawn, I don't think as many of us would be complaining. But it's 5/6 Nando vs. Zoey and 1/6 Jessie vs. Dawn. That's just shitty.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 22nd, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think this generally shows that lack of thought that was given into Dawn's entire rival dynamic. They tried juggling 5 rivals for Dawn and all of them (except Zoey), got limited screentime at best.

I'd rather two GOOD handled rivals like Drew and Harley for May, rather than five poorly handled rivals for Dawn.

Also, did anyone question how Jessie got into the same rank this tournament as May did in the Kanto GF? :p

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast