“Casting a Paul on Barry!” Review Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: “Casting a Paul on Barry!” Review Thread

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

Default Re: “Casting a Paul on Barry!” Review Thread

Loved this episode to death~

I'm glad they chose Tobias as a name, it sounds cool. But for some reason, I can't stop thinking about Tobias from Animorphs when I hear that name...it's oddly fitting :/

"It gets lonely at the top, but Paul will keep me company"
    Barry's my hero.

I quite enjoyed the "Dawn mimicking Paul" scene; it's comparable to the original Japanese version ^^

Just like Paul protect spam and ruin Barry's moment of awesome...way to crush someone's dreams...

Very disappointed they didn't keep the echo when Barry yelled "EMPOLEON!!!" I'm not sure, but I think that the music was different at that point to? It ruined the suspense...just a little...

Conway was amazing in this episode. He seems eager to show Ash his "secret strategy."

You know, I had a feeling throughout the entire episode that Paul was simply humoring Barry...I would think that he'd tear him apart (like a lot of fans expected) so when I first watched it, I was surprised at how courteous he acted towards him. Hm...it's almost like he felt sorry for the guy XD

"seasons change, people change"

Blog Entries

Barry seems to have a boy-crush on Paul.
    "It gets lonely at the top, but Paul will keep me company!"

Blog Entries

I can't believe Magmortar pretty much shrugged off a bloody Hydro Cannon. I know Paul is supposed to be uber-strong, but can we not make Barry look like a wimp, writers?

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Cinnamon Bun View Post
    Barry seems to have a boy-crush on Paul.
    "It gets lonely at the top, but Paul will keep me company!"
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ambipom666 View Post
    I can't believe Magmortar pretty much shrugged off a bloody Hydro Cannon. I know Paul is supposed to be uber-strong, but can we not make Barry look like a wimp, writers?
    Yeah, the same Hydro Cannon that caused Monferno to activate blaze in one move...I mean, it's not like I don't think a 3-0 victory is justified in this case, but Barry seemed to have type advantages and good moves. I was expecting at least one knock out :/

But knowing Barry, he'd never shut up if he ever beat one of Paul's pokemon XD

"seasons change, people change"

Blog Entries

Visit The Miniryu's Youtube Channel

Wow. I just don't like it when trainers scream some thing like: "(insert pokemon name here) I Believe in you!" and still lose. totally ruins the moment. But the battle was fun to watch. And oh good Conway what a stalker...
    And we finnaly have Takuto's english name.
    The wind howls...The rain pours...A figure appears in the darkness...The Minryu approaches..............

Blog Entries

I really liked what Ash said about Paul getting everyone fired up. It gets me like that, too! Too bad we only saw Ursaring feeling the burn once.
    5 for 5.
    Last edited by mj ike; 4th December 2010 at 10:17 AM.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I re-watched this episode in Japanese the other day and remembered how upset I was that Barry didn't win at least one of his battles with Paul.

Would that have really been so awful? Couldn't they have given Barry at least one on-screen win?

Paul's Ursaring really shouldn't have been able to take as much damage as it did.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is why I never understood the Sinnoh league. It makes rivals like Nando and Barry seem relatively pointless in the long run.

I also feel that this episode is what killed Ash's chance to use Bayleef/Totodile in battle. Imagine if Ash battled Barry instead? We would have likely seen the other Johto starters in a fight.

We waited 4-years for this league and I honestly can't believe the writers handled it the way they did.

On that note it was nice to see Paul beat Barry, not that we expected anything different.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First and foremost, the purpose of the Sinnoh League is to highlight Ash and Paul's rivalry.

If Paul had been undefeated (3-0 wins) in most of his battles whereas Ash had only barely defeated his opponents, it would have made their inevitable showdown all the more intense.

Like it or not, the Barry and Paul battle was necessary as far as character development goes. When we were introduced to Barry, he idolized Paul and desperately wanted to battle him. Comparing Ash to Paul, Barry initially looked down on Ash after finding out that the latter had lost to him several times. After witnessing Ash's fights with Fantina and Palmer (his father), Barry begun to respect the trainer.

Barry finally got the match he wanted; there wasn't anything new or surprising about this pair-up. The writers could have had Ash battle Barry instead and give his other reserves some much needed screentime, but the focus of this series is character development not battle development. The writers cannot neglect a plot point that had already been addressed in several other episodes.

It was also just as rewarding for Paul; in the beginning of the series, he looked down on any trainers he considered to be weak (he effortlessly defeated Maylene and called her the weakest gym leader he ever fought). Despite winning against Barry 3-0, Paul spoke from his heart; he told Barry that it was a good battle and that they will have a rematch in the future.

Barry did put up a good fight; the end result could have been different if he still had all of his reserves from the get go (Skarmory was defeated in one hit despite setting up Spikes).

This league may have gone off on a shaky start, but nevertheless this battle was enjoyable. I would have liked it if Barry had actually managed to defeat Paul's Ursaring (who had been the punching bag for Ash's Chimchar twice in the past), but as we all know, Paul likes to switch his reserves when an advantage is lost.

Good episode.

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

I remember being upset when Empoleon got severely killed injured like this. No exceptions here.

Ampharos King basically explained everything i was gonna say, but better :/. While it would have been nice to see Ash battle Barry like Gliscor'd said, this makes more sense in terms of character developement. What's been bugging me to death though are the Team Rocket moments, THERE TAKING AWAY PRECIOUS ON-SCREEN BATTLE TIME. I really wanted to see Ash's Quilava in battle last week....
    Visit my DeviantART Page!

Blog Entries

Rushed battle and over powered Ursaring aside, I really liked this episode. I had been looking forward to seeing Paul and Barry battle for awhile, so it was great it got its own episode and we got a small break from Ash. I actually like that they explain all these moves because I'm not very versed on this stuff. I'm sure most of the kids watching are in the same boat.

I can see complaining about TR's screen time last week, but they didn't really take up much time this week. But unless i missed something, the TRio neglected to say they were doing this for Giovanni. That's really someone you need to start reminding kids of TPCI...

Proud Hetalia Fangirl ♥ EdelsteinBraginski_'s Avatar
    In Austria, hanging out with Mr. Roderich Edelstein. LOL.
    Blog Entries

Well, I thought it was a pretty suspenseful episode overall (even though I've already watched it in Japanese), but it was sad to see Barry go.

Axis Powers: Hetalia<3

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    This is why I never understood the Sinnoh league. It makes rivals like Nando and Barry seem relatively pointless in the long run.

I also feel that this episode is what killed Ash's chance to use Bayleef/Totodile in battle. Imagine if Ash battled Barry instead? We would have likely seen the other Johto starters in a fight.

We waited 4-years for this league and I honestly can't believe the writers handled it the way they did.

On that note it was nice to see Paul beat Barry, not that we expected anything different.
    This

I wanted a Barry v. Ash 6-vs-6 and we didn't get it
    Looks like when all this is set and done, BW(and the Unova League) will do better (IT BETTER DO BETTER)

Not one of my favorite League battles but it was still pretty cool and Barry obssesing over Paul well scarry at timesXD I liked Dawn's impression of Paul bahaha. I like seeing Conway getting ready for his fight with Ash, that was one of my favorites so I can't wait for that one.
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast