REVIEW: “Battling a Thaw in Relations!” Review Thread - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: “Battling a Thaw in Relations!” Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: “Battling a Thaw in Relations!” Review Thread

I still can't get over how epic the ENTIRE battle is. DP 186-188 have gotta be some of my favorite episodes in the DP Series(aside from 182) I honestly wish Ash's goodbye was longer and Paul admitted to him that he's been wrong about him and loving your Pokemon isn't a bad thing.

Now all I gotta do is sit back and wait for the dub of Best Wishes cause there's no point in watching that horrendous plot device Tobias win the league. Though I may watch 191....

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    What I hate about that is Ash did absolutely nothing. Not one single command. Ash just stood there and let his Pokemon get hit (Gliscor and Infernape).

However I think Gliscor could've used Fire Fang, and Infernape could've used its other arm or even a flamethrower.

But still Ash did nothing and just looked like "Oh crap, what's going ON?"

Sure the point was to knock out Gliscor, and get Infernape's blaze to work, but even still, Ash should've at least tried instead of "Gliscor get out of there, quick!".
    Yeah. Stone Edge would have been one thought Gliscor could have used. Pikachu at least Quick Attack to dash out from the Iron Tail lock. Infernape was fine, but another Mach Punch or Flamethrower opportunity was opened to it.
    People cannot protect their precious ones only with kindness. I am prepared to protect my important friends. Even if I will be called the devil! There's no way you can win, when you don't have bond with friends.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    So one thing that's always bothered me about this episode is that the issue that started the whole Ash and Paul rivalry in the first place - the fact that Paul treated pokemon like disposable tools - is never really addressed here. Everyone just goes their separate ways without us having any more insight as to why Paul used to act the way he did.
    He changed. All his older Pokemon cheered for him at Reggie's.

It doesn't seem like his Pokemon feel bad about being with him at all

And the ones he did release, particularly those Starly, the Azumarill and the Stantler...he just gave away nicely. It was only really chimchar he beat up.

Follow lewisr88 On Twitter
    Follow lewisr88 on Tumblr Follow lewisr88 on Flickr Visit lewisr88's Youtube Channel

Nice series of episodes featuring the battle between Ash and Paul I thought. The pacing was handled quite nicely and you could see the development of the Paul character throughout and especially at the very end of the last episode. I've got to agree with BlazingQuilava that these have also been some of my favourite episodes from the DP series.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J J M View Post
    The Ultimate Challenge fit the moment pretty well imo. Would've been better if it was louder and had lyrics, though not so sure on the latter. Sometimes it's just better having an instrumental, y'know. :)

Need to hear the full version of the song though NAO.
    My thought exact.

This honestly was my favorite battle of the league, even though Paul didn't use his previous Pokemon against Ash, it was still fun. The good-bye while a little short was still nice. I never thought I'd see Paul smile like that at the end, bit scarry =/ Comashipper inside me did really like that scene though. The animation was really nice, especially the good-bye scene between Ash and Paul.
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

This was too cool a ep. 1st off Pikachu dashin' on the rocks with Quick Attack was cool. Inferape's wupe assery of electivire was too aawesome. Flamethrower plus Blaze completely dwurfed Electivire n it's Thunder attack I wish n the game we had an indication when Blaze activates or somethin' strange I thought Blaze only worked for ya know fire attack but Mach Punch looked strong too. Goin' n for a final Smash Flare Blitz was cool I was suprised that electric beast was still standin'. Ash/Satoshi huggin' his Fire ape poke after a hard faught battle was nice I dont think he's done that for any of his pokes after they won only time I member that was for May/Haruka n her Combusken. Paul/Shinji leavin' to battle Brandon gain' sounds cool. Paul/Shinji's pokes bein' saddened by his loss was strange ass hell I thought his pokes were cold hearted like him cept Torterra n Chimchar. But now Im turnin' my attention to that Darkrai trainer I want to know just who the hell he is n how he got a Darkrai, Tobias I think was his name. Inferape defiantly should be the one goin' up gainst it or Pikachu since it is the starter reminds me of Tyson n his Meowth back n Hoenn or Drew/Shuu n his Flygon.

Blog Entries

Infernape's power level....it's over 9000!

Seriously though, that monkey was incinerating the entire field. Electivire would've gone down sooner if it wasn't for Protect. :O All in all, enjoyable battle. Excellent animation made it really really fun to watch. Iwane did a great job with these episodes.

Oh, and other than that it needed to be louder, the TUC instrumental fit the scene perfectly. Too bad Chiisaki Mono wasn't used for the end of the episode though.
    New Track: Going Up

Winner of the Most Creative Host, Fair Hosting & Best Mafia Series Awards for the War Room Awards 2012.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

That Darkrai looked like it could do ugly with the best of himself.

Is it bad that I yawned during some of the more 'dramatic' scenes? I just didn't love this episode as much as other people seem to. I thought it was a good battle episode, but I wasn't on the edge of my seat or anything. I think the only part of this episode that stood out for me was when Paul and Ash shared that one special moment near the end of the episode. That was nice, if not awkward.

Orange And Black October Serperiority's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Serperiority On Twitter
    Visit Serperiority's Youtube Channel

Overall, great battle. Infernape and Electivire fare out pretty well. They just won't give up. Well, time for Ash's next challenge, Tobias and his Darkrai....

ALSO: Why does the music really matter to some people?
    Last edited by Serperiority; 17th January 2011 at 03:53 PM.

Serperior99 Fanclub | Bulbagarden's Californian Club | From the Serperior's Lair, My Blog
    I've claimed Serperior, Overgrow, Bicycle, Poke Ball, & Pokemon White Version

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
    If it was flawless, why didn't it get a perfect score?
    Well, admittedly that's hard to explain. The perfect score is reserved for the perfect episode, which was "The Battle Finale of Legend". And while this week's episode was 99.99% perfect, the Galactic finale was 100.00% perfect, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    What I hate about that is Ash did absolutely nothing. Not one single command. Ash just stood there and let his Pokemon get hit (Gliscor and Infernape).

However I think Gliscor could've used Fire Fang, and Infernape could've used its other arm or even a flamethrower.

But still Ash did nothing and just looked like "Oh crap, what's going ON?"

Sure the point was to knock out Gliscor, and get Infernape's blaze to work, but even still, Ash should've at least tried instead of "Gliscor get out of there, quick!".
    You're absolutely right!
    I'm used to analyzing every battle in the Anime from a strategic point of view, and, believe it or not, those were my immediate first thoughts as well.
    Especially when Infernape got caught, he could have easily attacked Electivire at close range either with Flamethrower or Mach Punch (with his free left hand). Not only could it have escaped Electivire's grip, it could also have inflicted a LOT of damage as his attacks would have been terribly powerful at close range! So, Ash what in the world was up with you?
    Also, had Ash reacted more quickly, Pikachu could have freed himself from Electivire's trap with Iron Tail much earlier without being slammed to the ground.

Anyways, did you notice what a solemn and great moment it was when Cynthia was philosophizing about Ash and Paul, while the wind was so gently playing with her angelic hair? One of the most wonderful scenes ever and thus I've decided it to use it as my new avatar! Sooo beautiful

EDIT:

There's one question I've been agonizing about for quite a while now:
    What if Paul had used Magmortar and his strongest Pokemon Torterra instead of the rather weak Ninjask and Frolas?
    I strongly tend to believe that in this case Ash would very likely have lost.
    Did the writers let him win? Why didn't Paul prefer a more secure choice of Pokemon? I don't want this question to leave a bitter aftertaste, but I can't help wondering.
    What do you think?
    Last edited by Queen Cynthia; 20th January 2011 at 07:02 PM.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy99 View Post
    ALSO: Why does the music really matter to some people?
    It just makes the battles that much more enjoyable & intense... In the Japanese version Heracross VS Kricketune... Gible VS Dusknoir, Torterra VS Drapion, Infernape VS Electivire.... before activating Blaze, and then Blazeape VS Electivire. The Dub really screwed up the Sinnoh League and I can sadly say I won't be watching a rerun of this Dubbed League ever. That last scene with Ash & Paul wasn't even too emotional because that song they used in the original made it that much more of an emotional scene.... what the dub replaced it with made it seem Zzzzzzzz.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KibaLG8 View Post
    It just makes the battles that much more enjoyable & intense... In the Japanese version Heracross VS Kricketune... Gible VS Dusknoir, Torterra VS Drapion, Infernape VS Electivire.... before activating Blaze, and then Blazeape VS Electivire. The Dub really screwed up the Sinnoh League and I can sadly say I won't be watching a rerun of this Dubbed League ever. That last scene with Ash & Paul wasn't even too emotional because that song they used in the original made it that much more of an emotional scene.... what the dub replaced it with made it seem Zzzzzzzz.
    To be honest, the climax of Ash and Paul's battle in the dub is what made it all up to me.

The Ultimate Challenge ROCKS!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234