REVIEW: “The Semi-Final Frontier!” Review Thread - Page 5

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: “The Semi-Final Frontier!” Review Thread

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Default Re: “The Semi-Final Frontier!” Review Thread

Probably the thing that bothered me the most about this episode were the reactions of Ash's friends. Ash lost pokemon after pokemon and they were just like "Oh look, he's losing. That's too bad."

Ash could have probably been 2 up if he had used Infernape on Darkrai and Charizard on Latios. If he spent some time getting Gible to Garchomp that would have been even more awesome against Latios, he would have won probably.

Ash deserved to lose for using such bad Pokemon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderPigg View Post
    I think that Infernape could beat Darkrai if given the chance, but it's been used so much in the league already, and it's probably dead tired after its battle with Paul.
    Yeah the 3 wins Infernape pulled off was enough for Infernape.

If Ash put 100% in, then he would have won, I am sure of it.

He should have used as his 6

*Charizard
    *Garchomp (yes spend some time training and evolve it)
    *Infernape
    *Snorlax
    *Sceptile
    *Pikachu

This team of Ash's would kick ass. Tobias would have been slapped silly.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riku View Post
    Ash could have probably been 2 up if he had used Infernape on Darkrai and Charizard on Latios. If he spent some time getting Gible to Garchomp that would have been even more awesome against Latios, he would have won probably.

Ash deserved to lose for using such bad Pokemon.
    It is true that the result might have been different if Ash didn't use Gible, but in all honesty most of his choices in this match really aren't "bad pokemon."

Heracross- It hasn't battled much, but Heracross is one of the few pokemon under Ash's belt that is best suited against Tobias' Darkrai. Heracross is a Bug and a Fighting-type pokemon. It is able to use Focus Punch and Megahorn; both of these attacks are super-effective against Darkrai. Should it fall asleep, Heracross also has Sleep Talk which enables it to still attack.

Torkoal- Torkoal may be portrayed as a weakling in this battle because it lost in one hit, but it went toe-to-toe against Brandon's Registeel in a previous battle. Torkoal was able to successfully damage Registeel several times in that match. Ash felt that Torkoal's experience battling a legendary pokemon might have been useful here. Let's not forget some of the other wins it had under its belt during the Hoenn League.

Swellow- It did not win many battles as a Taillow, but Swellow was used in several important gym/league matches in Hoenn. With the exception of a tie with Morrison's Gligar, Swellow defeated at least one pokemon in each of its important battles since its evolution. Swellow also assisted Ash in defeating two Frontier Brains in Kanto.

And we know how powerful Sceptile and Pikachu are, as they were capable of defeating one legendary pokemon each.

I think the problem was that Ash assembled a team he felt was best suited to taking down Darkrai and possible other pokemon Tobias might have had up his sleeve (preferrably pokemon that have won several battles for him in the past).

Nevertheless, Ash did not know anything about his opponent other than his Darkrai. Tobias never used any of his other pokemon in a battle before until he fought against Ash.

I am sure this dialogue is dub-only, but Tobias told Ash that his Gible's Draco Meteor "would have done any other pokemon in" when it was used against Darkrai.

Ash picked some of the best pokemon he had in his care for this battle, no doubt about it. Maybe Ash might have defeated Darkrai quicker if he used Infernape or Charizard in this battle. Both pokemon have proven themselves to be exemplary in several fights.

I don't think Snorlax would have been too good here, at least not against Darkrai. Since Snorlax is almost always sleeping, Ash found that it might not be too reliable against a pokemon like Darkrai. At least Heracross had Sleep Talk.
    Last edited by Ampharos King; 22nd January 2011 at 03:42 PM.

I hated this episode, it served no purpose except a fast elimination episode. They could of had an elimaination episode like where Ash lost to Harrison or another -son, but they went with a sweeper.

Bad episode is bad.

Blog Entries

That line was in the raw as well, I believe.

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by cohen View Post
    I hated this episode, it served no purpose except a fast elimination episode. They could of had an elimaination episode like where Ash lost to Harrison or another -son, but they went with a sweeper.

Bad episode is bad.
    He defeated two legendary Pokemon which none of the eight Sinnoh gym leader could. I think that speaks a lot about Ash's development as a trainer.

I loved this episode, Ash took out a Pokemon that no one else could that shows what a pro he is. And now I'm feeling his Kanto Pokemon are overated with the way people keep talking about them, he should have used them screw Ash's other Pokemon blah blah blah. I really liked the animation and them using all of Japanese music for the first time. Another thing I just loved was Ash turning his hat backwards of course, that's a classic I tells yah. Over all a great way to end the league, I knew Ash wasn't going to win cuz he's never going to get replaced so.
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

I'm a bit sad that the Ash turning his cap backward scene isn't as overhyped as it was when it first happened...maybe it's because he does it all the time in BW now? ;_;

I kinda enjoyed it the first time.

"seasons change, people change"

Blog Entries

This episode was great. Ash was able to take out Darkrai, and words cannot describe how much I love this episode.

20 points out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
    He defeated two legendary Pokemon which none of the eight Sinnoh gym leader could. I think that speaks a lot about Ash's development as a trainer.
    Or just how much sympathy the writers have for the character.

Why am I not surprised the general idea is this episode was awesome? Simply put, it was crap, and there was only one good part of animation, but the bad use of CG ruined it.

The Lazy Trainer Ace Trainer Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I only have one comment for this episode:
    (Whatever Meowth said about Ash getting the pants beat off him and TR not Deserving to have pants.)

WHAT. THE. HECK.

That line....was so awkward I LOL'd. It matches the line in the original in what he's trying to say, but....

Quote Originally Posted by cohen View Post
    Or just how much sympathy the writers have for the character.

Why am I not surprised the general idea is this episode was awesome? Simply put, it was crap, and there was only one good part of animation, but the bad use of CG ruined it.
    There were plenty of people who were disappointed when the Japanese version of this episode came out.

And while I don't approve of the writers deciding to have Ash lose in this manner, the fact that he could do what Freaking Gym Leaders couldn't makes it sting a little less....

I liked it though, but it might be because this is the first League I've really watched.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

OK Cohen, we get it. You didn't like the episode.

Though on the topic of Luster Purge; It wasn't even all CG anyway, just hand-drawn with flashy CG effects layered over it. Like, y'know, a billion other attacks in the show. Nitpicking much?

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I think the idea of Ash defeating legendaries was a good concept, just not properly executed; Takutobias came off as a mere plot device (which he is, of course) when he could have been written better. Concidering they were so close to the end of D/P, though, I can't blame the writers...that much.

Overall, when Ash's Pokemon weren't succumbing to the plot, they were really amazing in this battle.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast