REVIEW: “A Real Rival Rouser!” Review Thread - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: “A Real Rival Rouser!” Review Thread

Default Re: “A Real Rival Rouser!” Review Thread

I think a lot of people were watching the battle and not paying attention to the back and forth between Ash and Paul and the reasons for his decisions. They were blatantly explained in this episode and the last.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really don't get why Torterra wasn't given a win.

It makes it look like everything Torterra did in the series, (since it was a Turtwig), amounted to nothing. Its even more strange when you realize Torterra never won a single battle in its final form, not counting a TR blast-off.

It really makes no sense to me. If they just left it as a Grotle, it wouldn't be so bad, but this is the first Pokemon to ever evolve and not get a single shining victory.

Its the only real, "flaw" of this match IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kairyu View Post
    It's simply astounding the way TCPI carries on sucking all life out of the episodes with their removal of original music. I genuinely feel bad for all of you who only watch the dubbed version, especially when it comes to epic battle episodes such as this one. TCPI's battle music is just shamefully awful.
    Quoted for truth. The music can enhance a scene so much! And with this episode using a lot of action and brooding themes from the movies, the epic goes through the roof! And when you have Torterra losing to Drapion while "As Long As I Can Hold My Breath" from Movie 9 playing compared to Torterra losing to Drapion while some bland synthesizer cue is playing in the background, it just doesn'r feel the same. moo.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I just got a look at this episode - When Infernape used Flare Blitz underground and Paul uttered his infamous "No!" the light from the Flare Blitz made it look like Paul was wearing a lot of lipstick.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karpi View Post
    I know a lot of people might disagree with me here, but I thought it seemed like Ninjask presented a much bigger threat than Froslass.
    Ninjask was definitely meant to be the bigger threat. If it wasn't for Infernape's Flare Blitz slowing it down, Ash wouldn't even have been able to touch it (considering how ridiculously fast it was...)

Which reminds me, why doesn't the speed stat in the games mean more than just deciding who goes first? For all the good Agility and Speed Boost would do in the games, Ninjask would just get in a move first before getting knocked out the very next turn. Shouldn't your evasiveness go up as well for higher speed? Anime logic trumps game logic, always. :)
    New Track: Going Up

Winner of the Most Creative Host, Fair Hosting & Best Mafia Series Awards for the War Room Awards 2012.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J J M View Post
    Ninjask was definitely meant to be the bigger threat. If it wasn't for Infernape's Flare Blitz slowing it down, Ash wouldn't even have been able to touch it (considering how ridiculously fast it was...)

Which reminds me, why doesn't the speed stat in the games mean more than just deciding who goes first? For all the good Agility and Speed Boost would do in the games, Ninjask would just get in a move first before getting knocked out the very next turn. Shouldn't your evasiveness go up as well for higher speed? Anime logic trumps game logic, always. :)
    I know!!! Look at how that thing was moving Gliscor didn't have a chance, and it was hit by like 5 Fury Cutters in a row and each one being more powerful than the last plus it was hurt by Poison so I know that it took a beating. It didn't matter how much better it got with flying thanks to the Air Master, you can't hit what you can't see or in this case you can't hit your opponent if you can't keep up with them.

I mean if you are faster because of speed increases then in the games your ability to dodge attacks should go up as well like you mentioned. Sort of like what Vegeta said to Cui about an increased power level means a gain in speed as well meaning that you are more swift which was proven when he easily evaded Cui's "Look, its Lord Frieza" attack. Ok, that's only a good example if your a DBZ fan. However, the same concept applies.

They really need to make a Pokemon game like the DB ones where you are free to move around instead of going back and forth with attacks on a screen where if your fast you move first but if you have weak defenses your done in one hit. The freedom to use combos and move around like in the anime except you can experience it more than just a DS or Gameboy game...that's why the is better sometimes because they doesn't seem to be limitations like in the games.

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

I would actually have preferred a Gliscor vs. Ninjask battle since it would give him a chance to show off his aerial abilities even better. I guess the problem with Gliscor is that he doesn't really have many long range attacks, so catching up with Ninjask would be quite hard...

Perhaps if Ash just used Infernape to slow it down with Flare Blitz first, and then switched it out with Gliscor right after (I mean, Flare Blitz should have quite a bit of recoil...Perhaps giving him a break after that would be more realistic? Then again, it doesn't make sense that he'd get rid of toxic spikes for Gliscor since he isn't affected by it...)

Uh...never mind >_>

"seasons change, people change"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J J M View Post
    Is it so hard to believe Ninjask's wings got burned making it unable to fly really really fast... I'm surprised it's taking everyone so long to understand something as simple as that. :/
    Reminds me of Violet City Gym battle, Pidgeot injured Charizard's wing from hitting it with a Quick Attack now compare it to Articuno freezing a wing tip with Ice Beam. Both attacks ended up slowing Charizard down a lot from its normal high flying speed.

Now where am I getting at with this? It is possible for damage from an attack to cause both visible and nonvisible injuries. I don't think that Flare Blitz burned Ninjask's wings or it would have been shown taking Burn damage. Sort of like Quick Attack injuring Charizard's wings, it just managed to slow the thing down. Think about it, Speed Boost/Agility made Ninjask get its maximum speed levels. However, what was its means of moving that fast? It's wings!! So even if it was at max speed, if its wings suffered then that means so did its speed.

Basically, Articuno FROZE Charizard's wing while the heat from Flare Blitz must have burned its wings with heat or the shockwave from the attack just knocked it off its stride like I mentioned before.

The Flare Blitz indirectly hit Ninjask or better yet, knocked it off its stride. Sort of like Rollout, Ninjask had to keep moving around to keep up the speed. It sort of lived up to the old story of about how some people used to believe Ninjask was invisible because people could hear it and not see it. After watching this episode, I can see why those stories were once "canon." You only get a glimpse of it if your lucky before it disappears or strikes and then disappears again.

Although most of the BGM was as pitiful as ever, I will give credit where credit is due; the Pikachu vs Froslass battle was handled really well. Not only was the music (thankfully) left alone, but Froslass' dub voice was actually better than the original Japanese IMHO, sounding far more ghost-like than before.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by watchermark View Post
    Although most of the BGM was as pitiful as ever, I will give credit where credit is due; the Pikachu vs Froslass battle was handled really well. Not only was the music (thankfully) left alone, but Froslass' dub voice was actually better than the original Japanese IMHO, sounding far more ghost-like than before.
    To me I liked Froslass’ voice better in the Jap version; it sounded more haunting. To each his own, but I do agree on the fact that I enjoyed how they kept the same music while it and Pikachu fought. Wish they would have done the same thing after Giga Impact hit Drapion until the end of the episode, in the Jap version that music made the final attacks X-Scissor and Pin Missile seem that much more epic, especially the way Gliscor was dodging those missile and then charged in for the attack!

The other music I wished they would have kept was when Buizel freed itself from Drapion and also the music when Toxic Spikes was launched. Did you notice it was a cheerful tune the moment that Buizel used Water Gun to escape from the claws and when Cynthia was talking? Then as soon as Drapion released the toxic orb that burst into Toxic Spikes, some sinister music began to play, that always made me laugh. It is like yeah I am free!!! Then when I hit the ground I get screwed and blasted into defeat...

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderPigg View Post
    I would actually have preferred a Gliscor vs. Ninjask battle since it would give him a chance to show off his aerial abilities even better. I guess the problem with Gliscor is that he doesn't really have many long range attacks, so catching up with Ninjask would be quite hard...

Perhaps if Ash just used Infernape to slow it down with Flare Blitz first, and then switched it out with Gliscor right after (I mean, Flare Blitz should have quite a bit of recoil...Perhaps giving him a break after that would be more realistic? Then again, it doesn't make sense that he'd get rid of toxic spikes for Gliscor since he isn't affected by it...)

Uh...never mind >_>
    I know Stone Edge was its only long range attack, and we saw how useless it was against Ninjask’s speed. None of its other attacks landed a hit as well, I mean Fire Fang was the only one that it launched after Stone Edge, but by the way it was easily dodged I think it is safe to say X-Scissor and Giga Impact wouldn’t do any better.

The only way that I could see Gliscor landing a hit would be for it to use its echolocation ability to try and “see” where Ninjask is going to land next, but Ninjask just kept on attacking so I don’t think that it would have the time to sense where it was let alone land a successful hit. Because first, it must emit the sound waves for them to bounce off of an object’s surface and then those sound waves have to come back to Gliscor for it to tell if it will run into something or not. However, by the time the waves get back to Gliscor, Ninjask could be in an entirely different location. The best way for this to work would be for Gliscor to launch sound waves across the entire battlefield.

Another way a hit could have been launched or at least defend itself would be for Stone Edge to act like a Counter Shield. Notice how whenever Stone Edge is launched by a Pokemon the stones circle around the user sort of like a barrier. Gliscor could have used it to its advantage because Ninjask needed to be close to land a direct hit but with the stones blocking it away it wouldn’t have been able to hit Gliscor at all. However, the damage from Toxic Spikes would do the job if Ninjask couldn’t.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I... paid no attention to the music, like, at all. Something must be wrong with me.

Did love the creepiness of Froslass' singing/echo voice; from what I recall it came off as much creepier than Yukimenoko's. And since I'm portraying Froslass as a crazed yandere in my headcanon, it fits perfectly. Also, inadvertent parallel to Pikachu being frozen completely by Ice Beam, only to break out with Volt Tackle and hit and KO the opponent immediately after. Only not quite as cheap since Froslass didn't use Recover.

While Torterra going down like a punk bitch was disappointing, it does make sense to me. After all, Ash's Torterra has been pretty much going downhill ever since it first evolved to Grotle since it then no longer became FAST FAST FAST GLASS CANNON like the Pokemon he's actually good with. And so to deal with Torterra's lack of speed, Ash cheeses it with Rock Climb, buuuuut... he is using Torterra against a guy who's had Torterra for a starter for his entire tenure. I'd like to think, especially since Paul knew Ash at least had Grotle, that Paul knows the weaknesses behind a Torterra and knew to put them to good use. That and Paul just works better with tanks, so yeah, I can see why Paul would easily know how to take out a Torterra. I still think Paul should've had his Torterra in this battle; to hell with stupid overexposed Electivire.

I find it kind of hilarious especially now that a lot of people equate Paul to the hardcore metagamers who EV/IV the crap out of everything, but Paul's Ninjask... has such a stupid moveset. Sure, anime physics probably buffer some of this but why the hell give it Agility when Ninjask's ability is pretty much an automatic Agility every turn? Why Giga Drain, when Ninjask is essentially a glass cannon? Then again, Paul's glass cannons never seem to fare as well as his tanks. See also: Weavile.

I'm curious how they'll handle the "characterization" for the last part of the battle. Oddly enough I don't think the transition from Shinji to Paul's dialogue is that big a deal, or completely ruins his character development. To me I can still interpret it in a similar way to the Japanese version. After all, they kept Paul's relentless tsun in for the pre-battle part of the last episode. I would just say Paul's in total denial.

Because, y'know, even with the subtle character development, I could never see Paul ever being all buddy-buddy with Ash or outright admitting that he likes the guy. I hope they don't drive that muse with Cynthia too hard next week. But we'll see!

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    I... paid no attention to the music, like, at all. Something must be wrong with me.

Or....you have a life, and can properly display feelings of emotions beyond Smilies.

Anyway, Pikachu vs Froslass really was probably the best battle of the league besides Infernape vs Electivire.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulisthebest View Post
    Now where am I getting at with this? It is possible for damage from an attack to cause both visible and nonvisible injuries. I don't think that Flare Blitz burned Ninjask's wings or it would have been shown taking Burn damage. Sort of like Quick Attack injuring Charizard's wings, it just managed to slow the thing down. Think about it, Speed Boost/Agility made Ninjask get its maximum speed levels. However, what was its means of moving that fast? It's wings!! So even if it was at max speed, if its wings suffered then that means so did its speed.
    I see what you mean, though there's still a problem with the allegedly burned wings. If Flare Blitz had actually burned them, how come we didn't see any damage at all? There should atleast have been some dark spots on the wings indicating burn damage.
    Now you came up with the idea of "nonvisible injuries". Well, that's a clever move, but for some reason this reminds me of DEM methods as all the other explanations seem to have failed.
    Sure, there could have been some invisible injuries involved, but, and this is a fundamental problem, invisible forces can neither be proved nor disproved. So, in the end it's a question of belief, I guess.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    I see what you mean, though there's still a problem with the allegedly burned wings. If Flare Blitz had actually burned them, how come we didn't see any damage at all? There should atleast have been some dark spots on the wings indicating burn damage.
    Now you came up with the idea of "nonvisible injuries". Well, that's a clever move, but for some reason this reminds me of DEM methods as all the other explanations seem to have failed.
    Sure, there could have been some invisible injuries involved, but, and this is a fundamental problem, invisible forces can neither be proved nor disproved. So, in the end it's a question of belief, I guess.
    Yeah, just up to personal opinion as to what happened, but either way it still went down. Though it would be good to have that question answered.

Another thing was the inconsistent effect of Poison on Ash's team. I guess it is not like the games where after every turn it has HPs sapped away. We only see it when they get affected and then we see it in the next episode after Infernape uses Dig if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulisthebest View Post
    Yeah, just up to personal opinion as to what happened, but either way it still went down. Though it would be good to have that question answered.

Another thing was the inconsistent effect of Poison on Ash's team. I guess it is not like the games where after every turn it has HPs sapped away. We only see it when they get affected and then we see it in the next episode after Infernape uses Dig if I remember correctly.
    Yeah since poison is similar to burn in the games and how burn was portrayed in the previous battle I thought the purple energy would flash everytime a move was done.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast