REVIEW: “A Real Rival Rouser!” Review Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: “A Real Rival Rouser!” Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: “A Real Rival Rouser!” Review Thread

Wow Froslass sounded terrible in this episode. I much prefer it's Japanese voice. Paul still came across as an asshole in this episode compared to the Japanese version. I don't know what it was, but they still can't seem to get Paul quite right. Torterra going down without taking out anything was unfortunate, but I suppose it had to be the fallguy for Infernape. Though seeing Torterra vs Electivire would have been quite boring.

Paul actually complimenting Ash from time to time in this episode was okay, but of course they just had to throw in that obligatory "PATHETIC!". Really TPCi, just let go of that word.

Lul, I also expected to hear Barry call Ash and Gliscor handsome in this episode, since he said they were cool in the Japanese version. That would hilarious.

At any rate, while this is still the best battle in the show..the dub is very meh...as expected.

Blog Entries

It seems that Infernape gets too much positive focus. They should have at least given some of that positive focus to Buizel, as I feel that it's being abused a lot by the writers.

Seeing how Buizel was Ash's first Pokémon to go down and Infernape beat yet another one of Paul's Pokémon... seriously.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gigalith View Post
    It seems that Infernape gets too much positive focus. They should have at least given some of that positive focus to Buizel, as I feel that it's being abused a lot by the writers.

Seeing how Buizel was Ash's first Pokémon to go down and Infernape beat yet another one of Paul's Pokémon... seriously.
    I don't see how Buizel was handled worse than Torterra. At least Buizel got a win against Paul unlike Torterra.

Blog Entries

Follow Fennel on Tumblr

Is it just me or did Dawn clap her hands together like a million times during this episode?

I don't think I caught any of what the TRio was saying...at all...oh well.

All in all I think this was a great episode. I think it's cool they expanded on the game mechanics, actually.

well Ash vs Gary has one thing over this fight, less talking from outside sources.

I gotta say though the dub really cheapens the battle as well.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gigalith View Post

From past experiences, when the writers want specific pokemon to be highlighted during an important battle (i.e. Infernape, Gliscor after training with McCann), they'll do anything they can to give that pokemon the screentime it deserves, even if it means the other pokemon get very little.

Looking back at Ash VS Gary, several of the pokemon Ash used (i.e. Bayleef, Tauros, Muk) who were used in previous episodes were defeated within seconds. Ash's Charizard (obviously the main pokemon in that battle) defeated three of Gary's pokemon in sequence (two of which had type advantages over the former, and at times when Charizard was exhausted). This was all done at a time when Ash had only one pokemon (Charizard) left, while Gary still had three.

Now let's fast forward to the present. Look at Torterra, for instance. It was the fall guy for Ash's match with Paul at Lake Acuity, gym battle with Volkner, and now the Sinnoh League rematch against Paul. In each case, Torterra received the least amount of screentime in battle. Staraptor and Buizel were both knocked down, but still fought bitterly in the end.

This was Torterra's claim to fame during the Sinnoh League: inflicting minimal damage to Paul's Drapion using Leaf Storm, Drapion holding it back while using Rock Climb, and losing to a combination of Poison Fang/Pin Missile.

Due to its relationship with Ash and Paul, Infernape was the obvious star in this battle. Gliscor took the second seat because of its 30-episode absence associated with training under the Air Battle Master. Pikachu received a win in this episode since he is the mascot. Consider it lucky that the writers did not forget Buizel learning Ice Punch, or its inflation sack in the case against Drapion.
    Last edited by Ampharos King; 8th January 2011 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post

Anyway, one thing I love about Ash's second full battle with Paul is how the entire thing is basically referencing Ash and Paul's entire Sinnoh journey. Some of them are blatant, while other make you think a bit. {Gliscor using the smoke from stone edge and Cross poison hitting is sorta like what Paul's Magmortar did with Rock Tomb.}
    What were some more of these? I was actually wondering about this. For instance, when Paul said he used Gastrodon and Aggron for suiciding, he said he was using it to see Ash's battle style and figure out what to do. Paul said the same thing during their first battle, that he figured out Ash's battling style from the Starly vs. Starly fight.

Blog Entries

Ampharos King, I think your analysis is pretty spot-on ^^

Torterra also lost to Candice, Bertha's Hippowdon (but I guess that doesn't count) and in DP181 it couldn't even beat the wild Claydol (the same Claydol that got owned by a friggin' Baltoy!) Remember back when it was a Turtwig, and it actually won important battles! Neither do I!

As annoying as Paul's Drapion is, at least you can't deny the writers a least made Drapion look badass. And I do like how it ducked, caught Staraptor, Staraptor was alarmed and Drapion was just like "Yes, that did just happen".

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

First off nice job with the battles. Obvious Paul/Shinji planned 4 Ash/Satoshi's pokes. Buizel givin' those hits seemed pretty useless Water gun n Sonic Boom were shit glad he membered the intertube thing. So that's toxic spikes eh? It doesn't work on flyin' pokes? Why didn't Buizel just use it's double tails to fly I wish the makers had made Bui a flyin' type. Can some body xplain' to me how screamin' NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO will make the pokes win? Bui took a bit of damage so I aint suprised n the game Drapion's a monster I had to go through a load of pokes to beat it. Too bad Staraptor was caught by that Drapion tail. It didnt even do any damage Bui at least did some. Why would his dumbass use a grass type gainst' a poision type wouldn't Gliscor had been better or Pikachu or Inferape's Dig attack? Too bad it seems like most of Torterra's speed n personality disappeared after it's evolution. Now all it can do is sit their n beat beaten to death like a old person. Those sucky ass grass attack defiantly aint doin' shit against a Bug/Posion type with awesome defense. Barry/Jun's ass kissery of Paul/Shinji is a little amusin'. So I get it Paul waited for Sythesis to finish to get a good knock it for a KO. The short story is Ash/Satoshi aint good with big non-speedy pokes bug type moves like that are awesome. Air to Air combat eh? That's fittin' since Gliscor has been with the air master. I member Squirle/Zenigame beatin' a Ninjask. Ninjask is suppose to be one of the most speediest pokes ever. Fury Cutter shouldnt be that strong gainst' a ground type anyway I member Bugzzy's Scyther usin' it it was stronger n stronger everytime. Too bad Gliscor was pretty useless gainst' Ninjask. Who's left Inferape n Pikachu I'd go for either really. Underground Flare Blitz that's pretty awesome wish we could do that n' the game. I dont understand why Infernape is just lettin' Ninjask circle it why doesnt Ash just have it use Flamethrower or soemthin'? I'm guessin' Giga Drain is like a pinch to Inferape since it's a fire type. "Froslass is appearing and disappering like a ghost." Maybe cause it is a ghost? The way Pikachu jumped usin' Iron Tail reminded me of it's battle gaisnt' Reggie. I guess that's the Iron Tail scene from The Best Everyday. Gotta be careful with Volt Tackle n the game if I used it n koed a strong Poke Pikachu would be at near faithin' areas. I am suprised it took a Ice Beam head on. "PIKACHU HURRY UP AND GET OUTTA THERE!" Well jeez Dawn let's trap you in ice and see you get unfrozen dumbass trainers. Froslass is a pretty big poke I thought it was about the size of a Snorunt only bigger. Seems like TR toned down on the ryhmin' in this ep. That was a smart move to avoid rechargin' damage from Drapion. Gliscor's speedness from dodgin' Pin Missle awesome. This was a cool ep.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 8th January 2011 at 07:48 PM.

Blog Entries

All I have to say is THAT DRAPION IS DAMN STRONG! But I dunno, I was busy trying to catch a adorable random shiny Teddiursa in Soulsilver

Blog Entries

I know a lot of people might disagree with me here, but I thought it seemed like Ninjask presented a much bigger threat than Froslass.

Although this could be due to the incredibly non-threatening voice given to Froslass.

Seriously. It sounds like a Jigglypuff or something.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Masurao: "Kakkoii"かっこい means "cool," it can also mean "attractive" or "stylish". If you wanted to talk about someone you had a crush on you call that person "kakkoii." Barry/Jun meant he was cool, Hikari/Dawn probably meant Piplup n Kengo/Kenny were handsome.

Ahh, yet again Torterra is beaten swiftly and is shown to be a total fall guy for this battle. Honestly if something as big as Torterra were running up at you as fast as the Rock Climb, I doubt you could stop it from all of its momentum. I was pretty surprised Drapion held it up for that long.
    Dig+Flare Blitz was an ingenious combination that I wish you could do in the games since I hate spamming Toxic Spikes! I thought that the Frosslass battle was pretty good. I only wish Snow Cloak worked as well as it did in that battle for me in Platinum! Overall this was a great battle that was worth the LONG break.
    Just have to wait another week for the next episode! :(
    3DS Friend Code ~ 1762-2785-8494

Add me and give me yours!!

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Drapion is overpowered and Ninjask went out too quickly considering it got jabbed by a Fighting-type move...
    But otherwise, great episode.

I got pissed off watching Gliscor get wtfpwned by Toxic Spikes. Seriously, it's ground/flying.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast