“An Old Family Blend!” Review Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: “An Old Family Blend!” Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: “An Old Family Blend!” Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mj ike View Post
    Honestly, what happened to the video phones' sound quality?
    They've always been like that, haven't they?

If not, they're a little more realistic now.

That video Phone sound got on my nerves a lil bit.

A good episode but not great even for us older fans.

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

Wow... only nine episodes left. This makes me sad considering I'll probably not stay on to watch Best Wishes after DP has finished dubbing.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode. I liked the end very much and the whole last 5 minutes of the episode was really nice. I liked how Cyndaquil evolved, and it was a really nice flashback episode.

Always a welcome site to see Conway. Shame we won't see him again.

10/10

Onto the league!

Blog Entries

Seeing Ash's old Pokemon didn't really have any nostalgic meaning for me, but it was still nice nonetheless. I especially loved how affectionate Bayleaf still is. <3 It was nice to see Cyndaquil evolve but... yeah. Also, hooray for Pokemon Symphonic Medley 2 being kept! Love that song.

And continuing on the the list of things we'll never see again, goodbye goofy Team Rocket mecha!

Blog Entries

Visit The Miniryu's Youtube Channel

Snorlax use body slam! Pushes him over and knocks over machine.
    SO FUNNY!!!

Any ways, Totodile must be feeling left out now....

Also, Anybody notice that Bayleef can't prounounce L?? It says "Bay Eef!" not "Bayleef!"
    The wind howls...The rain pours...A figure appears in the darkness...The Minryu approaches..............

Super Moderator Paperhorse's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Paperhorse on Tumblr

This was a good, solid episode. Missed the first few minutes because I couldn’t wake up in time lol. It was fun to see all of Ash’s old pokemon, of course. Especially the Johto starters, love Bayleef and Totodile! I enjoyed seeing Cyndaquil evolve as well, it was a nice little addition to an already busy episode.

Another highlight was when Ash saw Barry walking through the woods after he had the unfortunate incident involving Bayleef. Barry makes me laugh so much. And the way they showed the beginning of the league was really good. I liked how they showed all of Ash’s rivals. Really builds up the anticipation!

Stumped Turtwig A's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

I say this episode was actually pretty good. Got to love the part of Snorlax stealing the food. Especially with the look on the chefs' faces.

(20:56:57) Luxis: All y'all are a bunch of Silly heads.
    RIP Giruja. Why must you have been fake?

(17:58:01) daytwon: why am i watchin ot turtwig
    (17:58:03) ±Dratini: daytwon was muted by Heather Star for 30 minutes! [Reason: inappropriate] [Channel: Trivia]

[15:26] Synthesis: he ain't godkilled
    [15:27] Ebail: Zam was Syn
    [15:27] Synthesis: it was an agreed sacrifice to the gods

Blog Entries

Huh, this is weird: Cyndaquil did take longer than a decade to evolve in the original, but it actually took less than a decade for the dub.

Fun fact is fun. XD

BackwardsMan, huh? NoodleChefKyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dratini lord
    Snorlax use body slam! Pushes him over and knocks over machine.
    SO FUNNY!!!
    I know, right?

Quote Originally Posted by dratini lord
    Also, Anybody notice that Bayleef can't prounounce L?? It says "Bay Eef!" not "Bayleef!"
    Doesn't sound that different to me.

Overall, this episode was so worth the wait! The nostalgia is so sweet, my teeth are hurting!

Maddie Blaustein, 1960-2008
    You will be missed.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J-J-M View Post
    Huh, this is weird: Cyndaquil did take longer than a decade to evolve in the original, but it actually took less than a decade for the dub.
    Wait...How?
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

This was a bad episode! I raised my expectations high when I heard about a reunion of Ash's old Pokemon but I was disappointed, unfortunately.
    Approximately four fifths of this week's episode consisted of Ash looking for and chasing after his Pokemon which got lost once again...Not only was the plot pretty unspectacular and confusing, it was also shocking how childishly all of Ash's Johto Pokemon were portrayed. I never really liked his Johto team anyways, but this time it was even worse:
    -Bayleef literally sounded like a baby and they better call her Baby-leef or something like that.
    -Totodile hasn't improved yet and still only knows Water Gun as his signature Water-type attack. No improvement at all! Paul would call it pathetic and I guess Totodile really is Ash's weakest Pokemon.
    -Corphish and Snorlax were ..oh well...nothing to get excited about
    -And last but not least we saw Cindaquil which turned out to still be a coward. His evolution into Quilava was nice but somehow felt unnecessary considering that it's going to be rarely used in the league.

To sum up, the first part of the episode was way too childish and after so many great, profound episodes we actually shouldn't get episodes like this one anymore!

The only positive aspect was the opening ceremony which I think was the most impressive one of all ceremonies so far!

And of course, you've probably guessed already which little scene saved my day and made up for an otherwise disappointing episode? ;) One little hint: It wasn't the Wailord blimp :P

Considering how great the "introductory episode" for the Grand Festival was, I have to say that today's episode didn't achieve its potential and thus fell short of my expectations.
    Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to the great battles that will await us and, of course, to a lot of Cynthia!

6 out of 10 points (including "Cynthia-bonus". Otherwise I wouldn't have given that many points)
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

PDL

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Wait...How?
    The amount of time it took from original airing to dub airing was reduced over the years or so.

It used to take over half a year, sometimes more back in the GS era... Now the time is comparitively quicker, about 150 days or so.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Well, I think this episode would have been better without all the rocket doings in it. Ash meeting all his old pokemon, and then the league starting.

Quilava could have found some way to evolve, maybe just out of excitement from seeing ash.

However, the majority of the episode was fun, seeing Ash reunite with all his old pokemon (but why couldn't he address them by name before they were shown? It's not like these are secret pokemon and even the current intro shows them. Pointless writing is pointless). And then the last few minutes were truly awesome.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by PDL View Post
    The amount of time it took from original airing to dub airing was reduced over the years or so.

It used to take over half a year, sometimes more back in the GS era... Now the time is comparitively quicker, about 150 days or so.
    Well, yeah. This aired on June 24th in Japan. The dub aired on November 20th. Five months, 150ish days.

But for anyone who wanted to see the matchups if they missed it:

Takuto is right there in the bottom right like someone said.

One of my favorite episodes of this series, AshxBayLeef *WE* So cute how BsyLeef is trying to be with Ash like that, that's right BayLeef still that Pokeball. I loved all of Ash's Pokemon appearing at the end, giving love to Ash there own ways. Barry appearing *Gah* I miss him. Than the weirdo Conway. I LOL'd when Paul was watching Ash from the back, Comashipping FYI. How could I forget Oak and his forgetfulness, old age is freaking him out LOL. Snorlax is another one who cracked me up, he took down Team Rocket without having to make a real move LOL.
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast